Is betting against the Blues unpatriotic?

I don't know why I am telling you this ? I meant to keep it a secret... but I had a dream last week that I was watching the Wolves game on telly in the Fly in the Loaf & we got stuffed 2-0. Worse than that, the second was scored by their goalie ? don't ask... but Howard was at fault (20 yards off his line).

Now the question is: Should I take this insider information to the bookies? (I never bet on the Blues.) Or should I see it as some form of divine intervention and get something out of the defeat?

I am not against betting against the Blues as a matter of hardened principle ? in fact, my mate Charlie is so hopeless at the bookies, I always plead with him to bet on Liverpool to win in the derby but what should I do about this one?

Be gentle with me...

Mike Keating, City Centre     Posted 04/04/2011 at 23:05:02

Comments

Stephen Leary
1   Posted 05/04/2011 at 03:39:14

Never back against the blues! I always have stuck twenty quid on us each week from when I was sixteen, no matter who we are playing. Gueye and Becks to score on Saturday, by the way, in a two-nil win me thinks. COYB!!!
Alex Buckley
2   Posted 05/04/2011 at 05:26:00

I bet in the same dream you got totally blown out by all the soapy hotties begging for it in the hot tub! ::! DeDums!

Well in mine I didn?t, ended up getting transported back to the start of the season by some sex induced space time organism & by a stroke of genius had a pen drive with all the lottery rollover numbers on it.

Drafted Dig Dunc in for security, with his first duty to kick Kenwright out of Goodison panto style!

We?re Takin Over! COYB?s! Shit it just a Dream!
Alex Buckley
3   Posted 05/04/2011 at 06:07:18

Shit, should have read 'orgasum' but organism works on a weird level....
Rob Teo
4   Posted 05/04/2011 at 05:50:32

I reckon you should go ahead and do it on the condition that, if you win, you'll contribute that money to Toffeeweb or Evertonians for Change or any such group that is working to give us fans a greater voice (against the current board).

If you do that, you'll have my blessing as a fellow (patriotic) Everton supporter.
Derek Thomas
5   Posted 05/04/2011 at 08:07:27

Never bet on the blues, win lose or draw, what ever you do, even if you do the opposite of what you think and then second guess your second guess, ad infinitum, you will never win... well I never have.

As to football dreams; many years ago now (20?), I was standing on the corner of Horrocks Ave, Garston, by where the dole used to (and still may) be, anyhow, over comes the RS brother-in-law (top bloke inspite of that) and he says, "Congratulations on winning the European Cup (as it was then), I'll pay up and look happy," plonking the token coin into my palm. I looked down and there was Charlie's head on the coin.

Hands up all those now in favour of the Queen (God Bless Her) Abdicating.
Dave Lynch
6   Posted 05/04/2011 at 08:59:55

Go for it. We've had a shit season so you may as well line your pockets out of what's left of it.
Nick Entwistle
7   Posted 05/04/2011 at 09:24:46

I'm 33 Alex and I've never had an orgasum. I'll look forward to the day it happens though.
Alan Clarke
8   Posted 05/04/2011 at 09:27:00

It's why I have no interest in fantasy football teams. I remember some idiot in the Park End trying to justify a team scoring against us because the opposing scorer had earned him points in his fantasy team. He almost seemed pleased. Every year at work I get asked to put a team in and as your only allowed 4 players from the same team, my team consisted of Baines, Jagielka, Fellaini and Arteta.
Guy Hastings
9   Posted 05/04/2011 at 09:33:29

Nick #8 ? it's a cross between an orange and a capsicum, not to be recommended as half-time refreshment unless you have bowels of steel.
Paul Mackie
10   Posted 05/04/2011 at 10:05:22

I've bet against us a few times this season, but only if the odds are good. The last time I did this was the Birmingham game where I correctly predicted a 1-1 draw and won a decent amount.

As a rule, I don't bet on us at all though. When betting you should only use your brain. It's hard to do that when it's the team you support.
Alex Buckley
11   Posted 05/04/2011 at 09:39:25

I?ve been guilty once for celebrating a last minute Newcastle goal in the Gwladys St, But it won me £250 on a scorecast & we were three-nil up at the time.

But, from that day forth, I always predict the last goal scorer, saves any grief on so many levels.

Could never back against us thou, Just imagine the shame if some RS was handing you the money in the bookies with a big grin on its face.
Chris Bannantyne
12   Posted 05/04/2011 at 10:25:54

What's it paying for Moyes to leave before next season? Might be worth a go....
Marc Williams
13   Posted 05/04/2011 at 11:18:49

Mike... Can you get your mate Charlie to bet on Kenwright still being in charge next season... Thanks!
Trevor Lynes
14   Posted 05/04/2011 at 13:19:57

Years ago ,when we had realistic chances of winning things, I bet on EFC regularly and had a few good wins ? when we won the league title and winning the Trebilcock and Temple Cup Final. I also lost heavily on the Cup Final versus West Brom... I could not see WBA winning as we had scored TEN goals against them over the two league games.

BUT, since the Premier League began, I have had nothing to bet on except the winning '95 Cup Final. League titles are out of the question and European honours are a mere pipedream...

However, I have NEVER backed against us!!!!

Paul Rice
15   Posted 05/04/2011 at 14:26:40

I had a dream about being shagged by a bear once........doesn't stop me going to the zoo though.

Disregard and back the boys instead!
Tony J Williams
16   Posted 05/04/2011 at 15:22:22

I made a few quid on Zoltan Gera when we drew 2-2 (Ferguson's last game) as I knew he would score against us, as we were considering buying him.

Other than that, I never bet against the Blues. I have wasted a lot betting on the feckers though.
Eugene Ruane
17   Posted 05/04/2011 at 16:14:13

Backing anything or anyone is about trying to win money.

If you think you can win some by backing against us, I have absolutely no problem.

Of course It's great to have a win on an Everton win, but generally emotions + betting = loser.

I had my biggest ever win on a bet in New Zealand, backing Australia to win the Rugby World Cup (1999). The odds were 4-1 but they were only so good because nobody in NZ would back against the All Blacks.

Basically the TAB (the state bookies there) had to offer something and as an All Blacks win would have bankrupt them at anything more than 1/2, they were offering 4-1 Aus, 5-1 SA etc (even though the Aussies had beaten the ABs in that years Bledisloe Cup). Anyone (like me) who didn't give a fuck who won, simply couldn't resist.

I remember the same thing happened (although not as good odds) when Bruno fought Witherspoon at Wembley. So popular was Bruno (despite his obvious limits) that even the bookies got sentimental (maybe the only time I can remember that happening in the UK) and so offered much better odds on Witherspoon than (imo) should have been available. I couldn't resist and even went to the fight to see Bruno get tonked (huge brawl afterwards too!)

Actually of all sports to bet on, boxing is my favourite ? genuine excitement to be had covering say 4 or 5 rounds (often between 10/1 and 18/1 a round)
David Hallwood
18   Posted 05/04/2011 at 19:19:25

I know the feeling. At work we have a sweep and you've got to predict the correct score for us and the RS, and I always put us down for a win usually 2 or 3-0 and the RS to lose 2 or 3-0. Astonishingly I never won it.
Peter Fearon
19   Posted 05/04/2011 at 20:48:19

I have always believed betting against the Blues is wrong. I never want to have an incentive to see us lose. As a matter of fact, this season you tend to get better odds betting on the Blues than against. I had a fiver on Osman to score first Saturday -? 11/1! Nice! But it doesn't make up for all that money I lost betting on Yakubu, Beckford, Anichebe, Beattie, Andy Johnson and all the other so-called solutions to our annual striker crisis.
Jimmy Hacking
20   Posted 05/04/2011 at 21:54:31

This isn't really relevant, but wierdly enough I had a dream last Friday night that West Ham would beat Man United on Saturday 2-0 with both goals being noble penalties.

(In case you're wondering why I had THAT game on my subconscious mind, it's probably cos I'd already arranged to watch the match in a Manc pub with a mate.)

When WH were awarded that 2nd pen, I genuinely almost fainted, then immediately felt anger for not putting that bet on. About an hour later though I was back down to earth.

Regarding betting against Everton, I have never actually done it, I'd feel like I'd jinxed them or something. not that there's owt intrinsically wrong with doing so.
Tony Gee
21   Posted 05/04/2011 at 22:04:27

I had a dream last night, that I was nailing Katie Perry....

Doggy style...
Mike Keating
22   Posted 08/04/2011 at 09:12:49

Derek (No 5)
Was the Head on the coin that of the Prince of Wales or my mate Charlie as per my original post? As he only lives 5 bus stops away from the one in your dream, it may be that you are confused or that across time we inhabit the same dream; scary!

Now this has got me thinking ? perhaps we could get Leonardo Di Caprio to practice a bit of dream invasion on Bill Kenwright; if he agreed to a bit of inception, what would you ask him to plant in the great man's brain? But be careful what you wish for...

I wish I'd never had this dream and you lot are no help ? I still don't know whether to visit the bookies on Saturday morning or just lose it all at Aintree next week as usual...

Mike Keating
23   Posted 09/04/2011 at 15:17:45

In the event of anyone being interested in returning to this post - I bottled out on my way to the bookies. I just couldn't do it and look what happened. So I'm not backing Blue Sea Cracker in the National either.