Members:   Log In Sign Up

Am I just jerking my knee?

Tomorrow I wll be dropping my season ticket renewal off at the ticket office to get it in before the early bird closure date. I always do that as I have not trusted the post with important stuff since they managed to lose my dad's original birth certificate after having to send it to an insurance company when he went to that great Goodison in the sky a few years back.

I would normally have done this by now, within a day or two of receiving the paperwork, but this year I have thought very long and hard about it. I don't necessarily believe all the press reports about 'cutbacks' and having to sell all our better players during the summer in order to keep afloat but I have to admit that, although my decision in the end was to renew, my enthusiasm and optimism has waned markedly.

The heady days of this time last year, when, despite too many draws, I had an opportunity to watch Everton play some of the best football in years, resulting in a very high level of optimism for this season, are now long gone.

So I will make my usual annual investment and hope for the best... but I do wonder if this is only a result of a knee jerk, a habit. I have done it for so many years without thinking that I still did it this year despite thinking. I hope next season can rebuild my enthusiasm so that I don't have to think again next year... it hurts my head!

Dave Roberts, Runcorn     Posted 05/04/2011 at 09:45:46

Comments

Tony J Williams
1   Posted 05/04/2011 at 13:57:50

This year was the closest I have come to not renewing... only because I am buying a house with the missus and money is tight.

I want to watch live footy, don't care about the manager or chairman when I am in my seat watching the game.
Luke O'Farrell
2   Posted 05/04/2011 at 14:17:31

I have thought long and hard about it, although I will renew my ticket sometime this week.

Purely because ? no matter how disillusioned I am at the moment ? there is no better feeling than hearing "Z-Cars" at 2:58pm on a Saturday afternoon.
Liam Reilly
3   Posted 05/04/2011 at 15:28:17

You guys are lucky to have the option of purchasing a season ticket.

I live in Dubln which means I only get to Goodison maybe 4 times a season, would love to go more, but the logistics prevent it. I have always tried to get there as much as possible, regardless of how the team is performing, because it's in my blood.
Mick Gallagher
4   Posted 05/04/2011 at 16:09:08

Just had a phone call from someone in the fan centre asking if I'm going to renew this year. Told them I don't know what I'm doing yet... probably will renew them both.
Kevin Jones
5   Posted 05/04/2011 at 16:21:26

I've been debating long and hard for the past few years about renewing but always end up in the Upper Bullens 1st match with all the others.

I now live in Parbold, and before the start of the season I got a leaflet through the door offering me 12 months of sport at the DW to watch both Wigan football and Rugby, for just over £500.00. This included a pie and a pint at every match. I showed it to my Dad, who's since sadly passed away, and without a word he brought it all home to me. He just looked over the top of his glasses raised his eyebrows and put the leaflet straight in the bin. Enough said I think...
Howard Don
6   Posted 05/04/2011 at 17:09:12

I renewed Dave, it was never seriously in doubt. I'm an Evertonian and therefore go through life like Mr Micawber thinking something will turn up, next year will be different ? won't it?

Kevin (5) I love your late Dad's reaction. A True Blue I guess.
Guy Hastings
7   Posted 05/04/2011 at 18:05:15

Tony 1 ? only because I am buying a house with the missus.

Fantastic deal! I had to get a mortgage for my place.
Alan Williams
8   Posted 05/04/2011 at 17:40:18

I have renewed as have all my mates along with two more returning to the fold... so a mini-revival this end, not seen that for a while. Nothing particular has made them come back other than the fact they miss going for a pint before and after and just feel left out.

My mate summed it up: when he chose to pick his games, his wife always wanted to know why, what and where... but now he his getting his ST back, it?s a given!! Funny really... COYB.

Kieran Fitzgerald
9   Posted 05/04/2011 at 18:30:59

Guy: I had to sell my soul to the devil and a kidney on the internet to get my house.

Was it as painful as being an Everton supporter?I have 23 years left on a 30-year mortgage and have been an Everton fan for about 26 years. I have a funny feeling it's going to be a photo finish.

Don Kiddick
10   Posted 05/04/2011 at 18:40:14

I have been thinking about renewing mine to be honest... money is tight and the kids only have beans on toast for tea 3 nights a week because I go out 6 nights a week on the ale and on the 7th go the casino. However, because of my goldfish getting lockjaw the vets bill as made me really struggle recently, really don't know what to do... any advice would be welcome... or contributions...
Stephen Kenny
11   Posted 05/04/2011 at 19:47:37

It's obvious Don..... Get rid of the Goldfish!!
Thomas James
12   Posted 05/04/2011 at 20:41:35

Don ? let the kids go out on the ale and you stay in and look after the goldfish.

Without doubt less people will renew season tickets. This season has been disappointing for a start... yes we are 7th now, but we are a good 30 points off the pace and despite what Distin says (quoted on SkySports saying we should be realistic about expectations and 7th is good). I expected better and believe we are on a downward curve.
David Hallwood
13   Posted 05/04/2011 at 20:46:33

Two weeks ago it was no fuckin chance; last week it was I'll think about it... next week???
Tony Gee
14   Posted 05/04/2011 at 21:59:38

They can shove it right up their arses until their ambition matches mine...!!

Chris Butler
15   Posted 05/04/2011 at 22:11:09

I won't be renewing for one simple reason: I don't enjoy going anymore.

The football on display is awful, the atmosphere is awful ? at least from the Everton fans... most fans turn up to GP like they're turning up to a funeral. I'll still go to away games because you can have a good laugh, be with the most passionate and knowledgeable section of our supporters, and you get a better view of the action usually.

Our club is a mess, we are a fucking shambles. We need some serious new ideas in terms of gaining revenue. I'm predicting numerous people to give up going. As more and more people lose their jobs, many more people will give up.

I'm sick of Elstone and his stupid comments about how cheap season tickets are and how prices have frozen. We're just walking pound signs to them and I've finally had enough.

Kevin Davies
16   Posted 05/04/2011 at 22:35:13

Not renewing (x3).
Ian Smitham
17   Posted 05/04/2011 at 23:23:09

Dave, i have renewed, me and the Boys. Every year, I think about not doing so, and yet I just do.

Aside from those who sadly find that, due to family financial or other constraints, they can not, then I really cannot understand some of the views people take.

I saw one on beaut on here the other day saying something like "I gave up my season ticket after the Newcastle game"... FFS!

I do not see myself as a mug and gullible. However, I do see myself as a longstanding and loyal supporter through thick and thin (and I have seen a lot more thin). For the life of me, I do not understand the hiding behind the "while Kenwright" or "while Moyes" blah excuses come up.

If you support the club then support them.

Finally, to those "protest" types, I say don't renew and when the day comes and we are great again, or in an FA Cup Final and you can't get tickets, sit and reap what you have sown.

COYB
Andy Crooks
18   Posted 06/04/2011 at 00:18:03

It seems strange to me that that the rumour, heavily endorsed by Pat Nevin, that a takeover was imminent, has now subsided. Maybe sufficient season tickets have been renewed.
Andy Codling
19   Posted 06/04/2011 at 09:24:28

Not renewing until Kenwright has gone.
Gavin Ramejkis
20   Posted 06/04/2011 at 09:39:54

Ian, the whole renewal thing is personal as everyone pays from their own pocket so denigrating those that have strong opinions on not renewing because of BK or DM is poor; unless you are paying for their seats you have no cause to comment on their decision.

My own perspective on not renewing is because it gives BK a wholly undeserved stay of execution and until he is forced to sell (not seek this mythical investor bollocks) the club will continue to slide further into debt and lose more quality players.

If you don't agree with that then that's your opinion and you are entitled to it but don't come on rattling about being a better supporter or other twaddle, I support the club and not BK, and when he eventually leaves, I will return to provide financial support.

Tony J Williams
21   Posted 06/04/2011 at 10:17:46

It goes both ways, Gavin, apparently the ones renewing are sheep, been duped, gullible etc

In my case, I can say I am partly addicted to Everton FC and partly addicted to the match experience but mostly it's because I WANT to renew, nothing to do with politics/Kenwright/Moyes. I haven't listened to any propaganda from the club at all. It's a conscious decision to renew that no outside influence can alter (apart from money).

Dave Roberts
22   Posted 06/04/2011 at 11:51:53

I agree with Tony Williams... it's partly to do with addiction. A bit like heroine I imagine, you can see all the advantages of not taking a dose and you are aware of the damage it can cause if you do... but when it comes down to it, you just have to indulge!

I'm just making my way to Goodison now with the paperwork. I've decided to use my credit card and then if we end up selling Fellaini, Baines, Rodwell and Arteta during the summer I can claim the cash back from them on the basis of being sold faulty goods! (Hmmmm?)
Daniel A Johnson
23   Posted 06/04/2011 at 12:24:13

I just have to think of that shocking bloody white flag waving FA Cup surrender a few weeks back and I go cold.

I've never felt so let down and cheated by my team than what happened on that night.

Plus due to where I live (Newcastle) with my season ticket I can only go to 30% of home matches anwyay. So I'm thinking is it worth it?

But like a moth to the flame.........
Pete Sullivan
24   Posted 06/04/2011 at 13:10:26

I've already renewed and I got a signed photograph of Phil Neville through the post, saying "Thanks for being so quick off the mark"... Nice Touch.
Andy Codling
25   Posted 06/04/2011 at 16:33:58

Ian, I can afford it but won't renew as I'm sick of watching shite and simply put I don't enjoy it anymore?

As for reaping what we sow with regards to Wembley appearances, we are hardly regulars there are we.

And why shouldn't people protest with non-renewal? If that is a way of showing Billy bullshit that they are sick of his lies and incompetence, then so be it. Are you after some sort of special recognition for renewing?

Tony J Williams
26   Posted 06/04/2011 at 17:28:00

Andy are you after some sort of recognition for not renewing?
Chris Butler
27   Posted 06/04/2011 at 18:30:36

Tony J Williams ? a bit hypocrtical there considering you've been continually telling the world about how happy you are about renewing. At the end of the day, we all have a choice about whether we purchase our season tickets. I personally like watching football and attending football matches but I just don't like attending them at GP, because most of my freinds no longer attend and the atmopshere is terrible.
Andy Codling
28   Posted 06/04/2011 at 20:57:53

Tony, no the thread is about are people renewing or not. I said, No I'm not: I didn't start having a go at people regardless of their stance on renewing or not. Is that clear enough for you?
Gavin Ramejkis
29   Posted 06/04/2011 at 20:57:55

Tony, I don't think anyone is looking for recognition for not renewing; they are, in some cases, looking for fundamental changes to how the club is being ran, be it the Chairman and/or Manager.
Tony J Williams
30   Posted 06/04/2011 at 21:47:21

"Are you after some sort of special recognition for renewing?" Reads like you are having a sarcastic go... Is that clear enough for you?

Gavin, I am not trying to make that point, my point simply follows on from some posters somehow suggesting/hinting that the renewers are somehow doing something a bit off, hence the sarcastic comment by Andy and then my sarcastic retort.
Andy Codling
31   Posted 06/04/2011 at 21:56:17

Tony, as I said, I gave an opinion without slagging people renewing or not. The post I replied to was having a go at people not renewing, simple as that.

If people renew, good for them; if they decide not to, then I respect that decision also, whatever their motives.

Is that ok for you or are you somehow offended by that as well?

Jim Lloyd
32   Posted 07/04/2011 at 00:01:45

TJ Williams, I've looked at both Gavin's and Andy's initial comments. I didn't see that either of them were making desultory comments about any other Evertonian who makes a decision different from theirs.

I've read a number of posts on this thread that have indicated their dissatisfaction with the way things are going but they feel the pull of Everton and have, or are in the process of renewing (bollocks!).

I am very much of the opinion of Andy and Gavin. Until Bill Kenwright stands down as Chairman, I think we are fucked as a club. I will not be renewing my season ticket until he goes.

I guess that we all want what is best for EFC but we see different means of achieving that end. No doubt I'll get comments along the lines of "how are you helping if you don't put your money into the club?" It's a fair point. I'll put money into this club the minute Kenwright buggers off. "A true blue Evertonian", well maybe he is. Does anyone on here think he would sell the club for what his friend and his missus paid for it?

Tony J Williams
33   Posted 07/04/2011 at 09:36:20

Jim, how can "Are you after some sort of special recognition for renewing?" not be seen as confrontational/sarcastic/dersiory?

Everyone is obviously free to make their own decisions about renewing but the one issue I keep returning to is that some posters seem to want to denegrate ones who renew as if they are wrong in doing so. Calling us sheep etc.

If posters don't want to renew, fair enough, I have personal views on some of the posters comments and have had my drunken rant but I won't now be calling them anything for not renewing, but apparently we are all kissing Kenwright's arse because we renew. I can categorically confirm that I want Kenwright out so there goes that theory.
Andy Codling
34   Posted 07/04/2011 at 11:03:31

Tony, I've checked a few times and no, I can't see where I stated people are sheep for renewing their tickets.

And my comment on Ian was about him calling some fan a "Beaut" because he decided not to renew.

Hope this clears things up for you finally.

Tony J Williams
35   Posted 07/04/2011 at 13:30:00

Andy there are other posts on this website you know!
Tony J Williams
36   Posted 07/04/2011 at 13:42:15

And I never said it was you, I said some posters...
Michael Suffolk
37   Posted 08/04/2011 at 02:08:10

I won't be renewing my season ticket until the club shows that it has more ambition, and is not just content with spouting out the same old bullshit season after season.
Andy Codling
38   Posted 08/04/2011 at 07:21:13

You look stupid now though.
Tony J Williams
39   Posted 08/04/2011 at 09:01:11

Who does? You're the one misinterpreting my point and thinking I was just talking about you.