Members:   Log In Sign Up

Well done, Seamus

Just heard that Seamus Coleman has got nominated for Young Player of The Year. Not sure if its PFA or Writers or the FA, but it is well deserved recognition of a fine break-out season.

Now, if he can just learn to put his foot on it and look up sometimes, I think he can go on and getter better and better, for Everton and Ireland. Not bad for £60k I must say.

Anyway I hope he wins it, because he has been as good any youngster this season. I ask my fellow TWers do you think our Seamie deserve's to win it? Or is there another young 'un you think should get it instead?

Stuart O'Malley, Dublin     Posted 05/04/2011 at 20:07:02

Comments

Guy Hastings
1   Posted 05/04/2011 at 22:31:46

P Nev ? the secret of eternal youth.
Erik Dols
2   Posted 05/04/2011 at 22:40:14

His nomination is like the signing of a whole new player!
Ian McDowell
3   Posted 05/04/2011 at 23:06:28

Yeah well done Seamus. I don't particularly think he will win it or does he deserve to but let's hope he keeps progressing. I was really hoping Jack Rodwell would have won it this year. Jack has struggled with injuries and lack of form though. I'm really hoping the hype around him isn't false.
Ian Campbell
4   Posted 05/04/2011 at 23:08:24

Jack Wilshere will get it (prob both) and rightly so in my view.

Pleased for Coleman but he does look a little one-dimensional at times!
Jay Harris
5   Posted 06/04/2011 at 00:11:28

Disagree Ian.

I think Gareth Bale is nailed on cert to win it.

However, the only thing that is certain is that nothing is certain so let's hope for Seamus.
Ian Campbell
6   Posted 06/04/2011 at 00:26:13

Must admit that he slipped my mind prob cos been around a few years.

I guess will depend on how the title race develops!
Ian Kearney
7   Posted 06/04/2011 at 01:10:53

Wilshere should get it imo. For all his flash, I was suprised to see Bale only has one assist this season, still a fine player mind.

I'm still hoping Coleman gets a shot at the RB position, where I still think he will be more effective.
Brendan O'Doherty
8   Posted 06/04/2011 at 02:19:30

Great news and fully deserved, in recognition of his first full season for us and also making the breakthrough at international level.

Would be my choice to win it, but then again I am biased.
Wilshere will get it.
Liam Reilly
9   Posted 06/04/2011 at 09:07:27

Bale or Wilshere for me, two outstanding talents, but fair play to Seamus for muscling his way into the reckoning.

I really don?t get all these depressing Rodwell remarks. The boy has had an injury-hit season and will no doubt leave in the summer if surrounded by a sea of negativity. We should be getting behind the younger players and encouraging them, not putting them down at the first opportunity.
Eugene Ruane
10   Posted 06/04/2011 at 11:21:46

Seamus - for me, one of the very few bright sparks in a dull, horrible, frustrating season. Raw as sashimi but great to see a player prepared to run at a defences in a very..erm...'old fashioned' way. Seems to have a great 'just get on with it' attitude as well.
Sam Hoare
11   Posted 06/04/2011 at 12:01:45

Yup... a rare bright spark indeed. With some very useful goals to boot. And he could have had more.

I wonder if he will remain at RM or whether he will become the attacking RB we have craved for so long... I suspect he will stay at RM given our lack of finances.
Norman Merrill
12   Posted 06/04/2011 at 12:43:59

Stuart, I am reallly made up for the lad. whether he wins or not, at least he has been recognized. And I wish Everton fans coming on here would just be pleased for him, rather than point out what they think are his faults.
Anthony Hughes
13   Posted 06/04/2011 at 14:21:55

He's done really well in his first full season and, even if he doesn't win, the fact that's he's been nominated is testament to his performance level.

Let's hope this time next year he's pushing for the Footballer of the year Award.

Martin Handley
14   Posted 06/04/2011 at 15:40:33

Jolly well done Seamus! Maybe next year another blue may well be nominated? Who knows...

Seriously though I'm chuffed for the lad, he's been our ray of sunshine through the dross this year.

Agree with other postings though Wilshere will probably win it.

Lee Courtliff
15   Posted 06/04/2011 at 19:19:07

Brilliant news. I am really pleased for him. He has been the only good thing about this season. Seamus Ramos ? The Best £60k ever spent!!
James Flynn
16   Posted 06/04/2011 at 20:42:54

Liam (9) ? Agree on Rodwell. Clearly talented and just turned 20. Let's wait a year or two on the lad.
Lee Courtliff
17   Posted 06/04/2011 at 20:42:54

It's the PFA award he has been nominated for. Along with Wilshere, Bale, Nani, Nasri and Joe Hart.

Putting my Blue bias aside, I would have to go for Bale. Some of his performances have been Kanchelskis-esque. All that pace and power... very exciting to watch. Just what us fans want to see.

Eric Myles
18   Posted 07/04/2011 at 09:33:26

Bale is the curent media darling but I don't think he deserves it if he can't take on and beat a 34-year-old in two games against us.
Lee Courtliff
19   Posted 07/04/2011 at 10:59:54

Why is Bale the media darling, Eric? Any chance it's because he has put in some of the most exciting performances this season?

I knew someone would have to point out that he didn't have a great game against us in either of the games this season. We did double up on him though, didn't we? Surely that shows how much he has developed as we would never have done that 12/18 months ago.

Anthony Hughes
20   Posted 07/04/2011 at 12:47:42

If he is a media darling Erik it's because he earned the plaudits. He's been excellent this season; I think we'd all love a rampaging Kanchelskis-type player flying up and down the wing. Seamus has done well this season and let's hope he continues to improve and reach the level of the likes of Bale and Wilshere.
Liu Weixian
21   Posted 07/04/2011 at 13:01:46

They will give it to Wilshere or Bale because they play for more fashionable clubs. It will be a mistake though. Wilshere has it a lot easier because he is surrounded by very good players and the Arse's style of play allows him to express himself. Spurs are a very attacking team, which suits Bale fine because when he runs at players he knows he has support.

Compare the two to Coleman, who is played out of position in a team that is struggling for fluency but, in spite of the difficulties, he has done quite well. He has scored around six goals and made quite a few assists so far ? quite a good return for a fullback/wingback/winger. Moreover, this is his first full season and he never for a moment looked out of his depth. I say Seamus Coleman deserves to win it.
Eugene Ruane
22   Posted 07/04/2011 at 15:11:44

Love your logic Liu!
Karl Masters
23   Posted 07/04/2011 at 18:18:06

Lee Courtliff (No 15):

The best £60k we ever spent was on Peter Reid, but Seamus has had a fine season and can only get even better with more experience. Well done the Little Bull!
Jamie Tulacz
24   Posted 07/04/2011 at 21:16:32

Fair play to Seamus. He's been one of the few bright spots in a pretty rubbish season ? well deserved!
Steve Pugh
25   Posted 08/04/2011 at 09:00:07

Liu, your argument that Seamus deserves it over Bale because Seamus is played out of position is slightly flawed.

Both fullbacks (supposedly), both played on the wing.
Lee Courtliff
26   Posted 08/04/2011 at 10:32:15

Before my time, Karl. Sadly.
Karl Meighan
27   Posted 09/04/2011 at 09:43:05

This is a remarkable rise to be shortlisted, from Sligo Rovers to Everton first team via a Premier League promotion at Blackpool and also making his debut for Eire.

Big things were expected of Wilshere and Bale and they have both produced; Coleman, on the other hand, was a total unknown with his sub appearance v Spurs being the only sign of things to come.

After being part of the team destroyed at Benfica, Coleman could have easily buried his head in the sand and lost confidence and disappeared like others have.

I don't expect he will win it but being mentioned with Bale and Wilshere and competing on the same level as well as making his debut for Eire he can't've done anything more this season.

I am one of a few it seems that would leave Coleman in midfield and would just give him licence to keep doing what he does best, attack the fullback and cause problems.

Being new to the position, young and being keen to learn, I would definitely say we have found a player who may well have saved the club £10 million.
Tom Bowers
28   Posted 09/04/2011 at 23:17:28

I gues it depends on which club you follow. Bale was magnificent in early European games but has fallen away but Wilshere has an old head on young shoulders. Much as I admire what Coleman has done, I think Rodwell has the biggest potential and hopefully this develops next season. Nasri has also fallen away lately and so It has to be Wilshere who gets the nod.