Fellaini?s Dad tries to get his Hair Cut too!!

With all the positive stories about how Fellaini now wants to stay and sign a new contract. It does highlight the question of his Dad?s role in shit-stirring at every given opportunity.

I get the feeling that he?s letting his son?s success go to his head by shooting his mouth off to the press with little or no substance to his 'facts'.

Are you telling me Fellaini hired his Dad! Yeah right! Easiest job in the world to demand when it?s your own flesh & blood. But at least he seems to be his own man, I bet that afro has started to piss him off.

Fellaini knows if he went to Real Madrid or Chelsea he?s not guaranteed a starting position & at 23 he needs to be playing every week to become a truly great player.

Great if he signs and we just sell off the Nigerian connection (Yak, Yob & Nob) & Moyes actually got a bit of cash to invest for a change.

Someone please buy us FFS!

Alex Buckley, Huyton     Posted 13/04/2011 at 12:41:49

Comments

Luke O\'Farrell
1   Posted 13/04/2011 at 14:21:28

I heard in a few of the papers and online that Fellaini was looking to agree a new deal... although I've learnt by now not to trust these sources. However about 20mins ago, on the official site (I don't believe it till it appears on there these days):

I must say I'm made up and hope the deal can be wrapped up as soon as. This will send a message to the rest of the squad that we do still have ambition and it is worth sticking around.

After the Lescott and Pienaar debacles, where they waited and waited to speak out about their futures, it is refreshing to see a player come out and state his desire to stay at the club.

If he could just get his dad out of his ear, we might just make the deal happen.

Ray Robinson
2   Posted 13/04/2011 at 14:20:07

There is no chance whatsoever of Fellaini signing a new contract in my opinion, just as there never was of Pienaar doing so. The lure of the big club, mega salary, together with our lack of investment will put paid to that.

I don't think Fellaini belongs to the same school as Arteta, Cahill, Jags, Baines, Osman, Hibbert etc. He'll be gone. Don't know why we're getting worked up about it, to be honest..

Nick Entwistle
3   Posted 13/04/2011 at 14:35:52

I misread your post there, Luke; I thought you had written 'although I've learnt by now not to trust these scousers'...
Andrew Fair
4   Posted 13/04/2011 at 14:34:31

Ray. Nice to see some positivity. No chance whatsoever? Difference between Fella and Peanuts is about five years age difference. Pienaar knew he had one more move to play Champions League football; fella is 23 and has plenty of years left. He may be gone in 2 years but, by signing a contract, he will ensure we get the biggest possible transfer when he is ready to move on.
Stephen Kenny
5   Posted 13/04/2011 at 14:40:09

A decent board would have Big Mo tied to a new deal by next week after him saying he's staying.
Larry Boner
6   Posted 13/04/2011 at 14:44:22

There will be very few negative stories coming out of Everton's hierarchy over the next few months as the season ticket renewal time is at hand. I cannot see Fellaini re-signing and, if Everton let the situation regarding negotiation of a new contract run on, then we will end up losing him for next to nothing. There will be a few suitors for Fellaini, most notably, I think, Arsenal (never replaced Viera), Chelsea (ageing team) and someone like Bayern or even Madrid (Real).

Man Utd also, currently getting to a point where their top players are dropping out of the scene due to advancing years ? Neville, Van der Saar, Scholes, Ferdinand, Giggs (though still playing well).

Man City, a really poor collection of players, mercenaries all, witness their abject display against Liverpool, will surely get rid of Mancini, even if they win the cup and look to change the playing staff ? Barry or Fellaini; who would you have? It will be a sorry situation if Fellaini goes, but Everton must make the maximum return on the player, especially if a bidding war materialises.

Anyway, congratulations to Brighton and their promotion and the fantastic new ground, paid for by Chairman Tony Bloom, with interest free loans to the club (£93m). It's a pity we don't have any billionaire who could lend Everton some interest free money to do up Goodison... hang on, isn't Lord Grantchester a billionaire? Don't hold your breath.

Mark Murphy
7   Posted 13/04/2011 at 15:06:31

Here's my take on this based on past experience.
  • Everton need to sell assets and every other club in the league know this.
  • Fellaini is a valuable asset, probably THE most valuable single asset on the playing staff.
  • Other teams get wind of the fact that he has "only" 2 years left on contract so prepare derisory bids.
  • Everton's board pre-empt this by getting the player to agree to negotiate, pointing out that the bigger the fee the bigger his cut.
  • Other clubs think, "Ahh, but if he is ambitious he will want to play CL, Europa League/Cup or top 6 football so won't want to stay at lickle Everton."
  • Everton have a word and Fella says he wants to stay (with the unspoken caveat ? "depending on how much Everton offer me...")
  • David Moyes says, "I want him to stay and he wants to stay."
  • Fella fails to agree terms with Everton despite them "offering the biggest salary deal in the clubs history..."
  • Fella goes to Chelsea, Spurs, City, or Villa for £25M and £5k a week more wages, saying that he would have stayed but the Everton offer was derisory and he wants to play for one of the above.
  • Fella is booed incessantly on his return to Goodison and labelled a "Judas greedy never-a-blue lazy Belgian cunt".
  • The board pay off some of the debt and Moyes makes a derisory bid for Scotty Parker who signs for Villa.
  • Leighton Baines is offered a new improved contract at Everton....
Chris Wright
8   Posted 13/04/2011 at 15:52:41

Actually, Everton do NOT have to sell, Mark, they are able to meet their debt payments; but, if he's not going to sign, this will be the best summer to get money for the asset. He could easily re-sign on a new contract knowing he can walk away in 2 or 3 years anyway when he will still be only 26 or so.

I'm not sure he will stay to be honest, but all these firesale rumours that Felli, Baines, jags and Rodwell have to be sold are wide of the mark. Moyes may need to sell to buy but isn't that what most clubs do? Man Utd sold Ronaldo and have funded subsequent transfers, Liverpool sold Torres and Villa sold Barry/Milner and then reinvested in Bent.

Why if Moyes did that is it poor on behalf of our board?

Ray Robinson
9   Posted 13/04/2011 at 16:15:23

Andrew #4, not normally so pessimistic ? just call it growing disillusionment. I can't see it happening somehow... and yes, I re-newed my season ticket yesterday.
Stephen Kenny
10   Posted 13/04/2011 at 16:16:42

Mark,

I think you've hit the nail on the head there!!!

No doubt the fools who still think Bill is looking out for Everton will be all over the place slating him for not accepting 30% below the going rate for top class young internationals.
Michael Kenrick
11   Posted 13/04/2011 at 16:27:34

I think you're right, Chris (#8): as far as I can tell, we've been operating like this (sell to buy) for at least the last three years. The last proper Big Buy that did not appear to be financed by prior sales was Yakubu back in August 2007. Yet the angst and anguish, the "we have no money and can't compete" mantra, and the "we must pay down the debt" bollocks has only really surfaced with a vengeance this season... Why?
Gavin McGarvey
12   Posted 13/04/2011 at 16:28:39

I think that keeping Fellaini is key to any possibility of success over the next few years. He is powerful and skilful in the centre of midfield and should we be able to keep him and add the necessary on the wings and up front, then I think there might be a trophy in the next few years.
Gavin McGarvey
13   Posted 13/04/2011 at 16:39:13

Michael, I think the pre-season optomism made people a bit reluctant to face the reality that we might have to make some hard decisions to make progress. Nobody wanted to sell anyone, that would make any money for the club, to finance the right winger and striker we need. Personally, I would be reluctant to sell Fellaini due to his age, ability and potential.
Mark Murphy
14   Posted 13/04/2011 at 16:58:38

Chris,
I didnt make a judgement on it, it's just my interpretation of how events will unravel.

I just don't think that "Fellaini says he wants to stay" is as black-and-white as some people are reading it.

On saying that, I DO think our board are crap, as it goes.
Mark Murphy
15   Posted 13/04/2011 at 17:09:16

Michael,
I'm sure I read on here that we have to pay off a substantial installment this summer? Is that not the case?

Nothing wrong with sell to buy ? I'm ok with that and realistic to accept it's the only way. I just see the Fellaini negotiations as the beginning of his departure rather than a sure sign of his staying.

I may be wrong ? it has been known ? I thought Rooney would stay.

Jimmy Hacking
16   Posted 13/04/2011 at 17:45:46

I think a few of you are incorrect on the subject of Fellaini wanting to re-sign with us (or not).

The way I see it is this: If Everton Football Club are run well, and they WANT him to stay (rather than cashing in on him), then they should be able to convince him to spend his entire career here.

I honestly believe that Pienaar could've been convinced to end his career with us. We did it with Jags, Cahill, Arteta, Baines... why not Big Mo? We need to pull out all the stops and give him no choice but to re-sign.

Worst case scenario IMO would be 18 months of Fellaini saying "he hasn't had a chance to look at the contract yet" etc... before buggering off to Bayern for £2 million.
Stephen Kenny
17   Posted 13/04/2011 at 18:30:30

I have absolutely no problem with operating a sell-to-buy policy if there is a long-term goal in place, ie, stadium building, refinancing etc. For me, we have the ideal man in place for this in Moyes.

He has a good eye for a young cheap player and, more often than not, they end up being worth a lot more than we paid. He is also guaranteed to keep us comfortably in this division almost regardless of who stays or goes.

The problems come when we start talking about winning things, which should always be the aim of the game?

With regards to Big Mo, if Big Mo is staying he needs to be tied down before the summer to deter richer (Not Bigger) clubs turning his head. If he won't sign then we need to sell as he will have little value to us with 1 year left on his contract, something we cannot afford to re-occur.
James Hollister
18   Posted 13/04/2011 at 18:41:11

Fellaini has never once ever opened his gob and said he wants to leave.

Now if you want to believe the garbage his dad comes out with, then you've only yourself to blame.

I've always had the distinct feeling Screech liked it at Goodison, and gets on well with the both the players and the fans and manager.

He must know things are clearly going to be built around him.
Paul Thompson
19   Posted 13/04/2011 at 18:36:38

Situations like this are akin to a game where each party is seeking to secure their interests. The problem is that at this stage it's not clear what they are: Does Fellaini really want to stay? Do the club really want to keep him? Anyone who says that they know the answers is deluding themselves.

Past events, such as selling Pienaar, are not necessarily a good guide because motives and context are different. All we can really say at this stage is that the positive statements from Fellaini and the club are better than evasive or negative ones.

One thing is clear, however: if Fellaini wants to go, there is ultimately nothing the club can do to stop him. We will have to get the best price we can and move on. Here's hoping we don't have to.

James Hollister
20   Posted 13/04/2011 at 18:44:47

It was The Mirror that started all the shit-stirring in the first place, and then the Daily Star, News of the World, and The Sun followed suit.

Thanks to The Mirror, who were and are always will be wrong in everything they say.
Gavin Ramejkis
21   Posted 13/04/2011 at 20:26:04

3 days to go for season ticket early bird renewals and Pravda rolls this out. Hmmmm... call me a cynic but we have had years of burned fingers by Billy Bullshitter and Co; until the ink is dry I won't believe it.
Mick Gallagher
22   Posted 13/04/2011 at 20:58:42

Agree fully with Gavin; Bullshit Bill trying to get more season tickets sold on this story.
Ian Smitham
23   Posted 13/04/2011 at 22:04:57

I will believe it when I see it, but I said before on here, give him what he wants and build a squad around him and Jack as a central midfield. No disrespect to any other player but the future is those two in the centre, young athletic and strong. Pivotal.

On here, I think we may be quick to criticise players for shortcomings and lack of loyalty. If that is our way, then maybe the players think the same.

In the case of "Fella", from what I have read today, albeit in the press, he seems to WANT to sign and, unless this is a publicity stunt, I agree with comment above. Get it done.
Danny Broderick
24   Posted 13/04/2011 at 22:10:44

A Belgian friend told me there was a story in the Belgian press about Fellaini expressing that he wants to stay. He also mentioned that the same article was linking us to Witsel, the Standard Liege midfielder, and that we had scouts at the Belgium-Azerbaijan game a week or 2 ago.
Jay Harris
25   Posted 13/04/2011 at 22:07:35

I understand the cynicism, particularly with previous experience of the EFC smoke-&-mirrors machine, but I forecast Fellaini will stay and Moyes (If he stays) will build a team around him, with Arteta and/or Rodwell to go in the summer to fund some incoming talent.
Ian Smitham
26   Posted 13/04/2011 at 22:42:09

Jay, I hope that you are right. Personally, it's Jack and Fella.

As much as others are who we (or I) would like to keep, as I see it, to buy we are going to have to sell. If that means easy targets, Vic, JV, Joey, Yak, Bily, and Johnny will raise a good load of money and if we need to then a few more closer to home may have to be sacrificed. IMHO, it must be Jack and Fella, and then consider options around the rest, and I stress again, that is not meant to be dissing others I would ideally keep (ideally).

Of course, I love Everton and hope we can buy a load of new players but, with recession, lower crowds, less income to the club, and an apparent inability of those in charge to inject more into the squad, then we have to think of how to continue.

For the record, I believe Mr Moyes is the man to do it and I HOPE most of all that he gets it right for the good of the club, players and all of us.

Thanks for reading.
Andrew James
27   Posted 13/04/2011 at 22:45:39

I reckon he might stay a few years. He must look around and realise that he could well be captain and the main man in a year or two. If you look at Pienaar and Lescott, they both appear to have taken their careers backwards.

Fellaini might look at them and think he could do with a few more years development before Father Time starts pressing him to make a big money move that guarantees Champions League footie.

Anthony Hughes
28   Posted 14/04/2011 at 07:57:17

A contract offer for Fellaini will have to at least match Arteta's deal moneywise. Also, to convince him to sign, I think as a club we will have to assure him of our future ambitions to move forward on and off the pitch... I think that will be the hardest part.

Over to you, Bill.

Norman Merrill
29   Posted 14/04/2011 at 12:09:18

Alex ? The one thing that I am sure all Evertonians will wish for is the last line of your thread. And the sooner the better!
Damien McKay
30   Posted 14/04/2011 at 12:32:04

We need to keep our best players if we're ever going to win anything again.

Felliani is a potential World Class Player. If he goes we might as well start selling all the rest of our assets like Baines and Coleman. Yes, it's a business and assets are sold in business but the assets that we need to sell are Heitinga and Bily.

We need Moyes to start wheeling and dealing in the next transfer market and we need regular European Football so we can meet the players' and supporters' expectations.

If we do this then why would players like Fellaini want to leave if they can achieve all they want at the club who values them the most?

Who's going to be the next Everton Legend?? It could well be Fellaini if we start playing better football and the club is ran like a business.
Daniel A Johnson
31   Posted 14/04/2011 at 12:49:12

I get the impression the Nigerian ranks in our squad all sort of fell out with Moyes big style, even Anichebe was sulking at one point.
Stephen Leary
32   Posted 14/04/2011 at 15:00:48

If Felliani's quotes are true, then it seems that the big fella wants to stay and I for one am delighted. Now this will prove what all of us think of Kenwright and his chronies, he should be signed up and all by now, as he says he's "waiting to sign a new long term contract".

If Bill doesn't get him signed, I think we all know then what summer we're in for. In an ideal world he would get him signed then sell the club and we can all move forward.

It is going to be an interesting few months... I still have huge doubts though as I feel we will really be in the mire come August, with that twat still owning us. Let's hope not COYB!!!.

James Martin
33   Posted 14/04/2011 at 15:59:52

In fairness, the board ? despite their well catalogued failings ? have, up until this point, done a decent job in keeping hold of players. Rooney is the obvious exception although he wanted to leave and we got good money for him; the same is true for Lescott.

Compare us with Liverpool who have sold Alonso, Mascherano and Torres. Yet, for some reason, we're always the ones in danger of being labelled a selling club by the press just because we let Pienaar go to Spurs. I think, as long suitable replacements arrive, then the sale of a player should not necessarily warrant the negative tag of a 'selling club'.

Richard Harris
34   Posted 14/04/2011 at 19:44:20

Andrew James wrote "If you look at Pienaar and Lescott, they both appear to have taken their careers backwards". So Pienaar has gone to a club that were in the Champions League this season, a club that are challenging for a Champions League place again this season, a club that made a bid for the OIympic stadium and a club that is better managed in the boardroom. How has his career gone backwards apart from not playing full games every week ? If someone offered me more money, for less work, at a company with more current potential and finances than my current job should I turn it down ?
Chad Schofield
35   Posted 15/04/2011 at 01:05:41

"apart from not playing full games every week" indeed Richard, how would that possibly devalue a player's worth, morale or reputation in a very limited career?

Look at players like Sean Wright-Phillips, Santa Cruz, to an extent Adabyore... they are not shelf stackers looking to simply clock out early and take extended breaks, they have a 15 year career, 8 odd seasons to really make a massive impact, if they avoid injury. I'm sure you have no idea how hard it is to have made the grade to where players at that level have had to work to achieve what they have. So no, I could almost 100% guarantee that no professional sportsman would be happy sat on the periphery.
Ben Jones
36   Posted 15/04/2011 at 10:48:03

The way I look at it is though, at least he's come up and said it, which is normally good.

Pienaar never oficially confirmed he wanted to stay. Arteta said he wanted to stay and now signed another contract.

I can see him going maybe in 2 or 3 seasons, but if he signs a contract, we'll get at least another 5 million from him.

John Daley
37   Posted 15/04/2011 at 11:03:04

"The only problem is the wages. How much wages will he be on? I can see him getting at least 60k a week if he signs... that's a lot of money."

Unless his agent/dad is totally inept I would imagine they'll at least be seeking parity with Arteta. Which would pose a real problem because I can't see the club being able to afford both. Moyes has continually said how important Fellaini is to the team, but does he consider him to be more vital to the cause than Mikel? In my opinion, he should. Fellaini is only going to get better, whilst we may have already seen the best of Arteta.
Tim Kells
38   Posted 15/04/2011 at 13:41:24

The thing is though why have the club come out with the story at this time? If I think back we didn't know anything about Bainesy or Seamus re-signing until it was done? Why not announce it when it's been done, he wants to stay apparently, we want him too, so sign him up. I suspect ala Pienaar that we're some distance apart on the money front and this is the first move in a game that will eventually see him leaving. I hope I'm wrong.
Ian Smitham
39   Posted 15/04/2011 at 22:55:24

Mr Daley

Quite right

I say pay him the money, but then again i said the same about Peanut so what do i know

Hey ho-still pay him the money