Entertainment and passion?

Goals are important in life, as in football. My goals are adversarial to the neo-corporate conservative elitism promoted by The Premier League, to whom Everton belong.

Sir Philip Green is the apotheosis of the pseudo-libertarian hypocrisy to which I?m adverse. And then there?s Bill Kenwright? Oh dear.

The Mersey Millionaire made my father?s generation happy; the current regime makes me sick. (I realise that I?m in the docile minority or alone with these views.)

In my opinion, football is a spectacle of entertainment. When the spectacle fails to satisfy, its organisers' crooked crevices penetrate like a cancer into true supporters. Happiness is the only acceptable excuse for the aforementioned and the only remedy for us fans.

Like the ?baby boom? generation, Everton aged recklessly, without grace or collective foresight. Statistical analyses of entertainment and passion are not for me. In lieu of something new, I?ll just say goodbye and good luck.

Chris McCullough, Belfast     Posted 13/04/2011 at 16:24:29

Comments

Paul Rice
1   Posted 13/04/2011 at 16:56:09

The problem is, mate, football clubs are businesses these days (big businesses at that). I recall being entertained by the Everton team from the 90s (Christ, that was some shite) ? it may've been shit but at least it was a bit of a thrill ? but not anymore.

The onus is on progression/results etc... not entertainment, sadly. Shame we can't have a bit of both ? it's why we all jizz ourselves when we get a new winger: wingers are fast, tricky, skillful and exciting... It's also why we then immediately develop impotence after seeing the ones we end up signing play!

It's been a good 20 years of shite now (either crap team with exciting moments or decent team with boring dross) and I still can't make my mind up what I'd rather have. I too loathe the idea of being some rich twonk's plaything... but mediocrity is also a depressing thought!

Jamie Barlow
2   Posted 13/04/2011 at 17:55:24

Too many big words for me.
Stephen Kenny
3   Posted 13/04/2011 at 18:28:06

Been reading Mickey Blue Eyes by any chance?

The question is: What are you going to do about it?
Max Fine
4   Posted 13/04/2011 at 18:36:55

What a disjointed contribution; have you just combined the five most articulate sentences you could think of and pasted them on this site?! Sounds like a weird diary entry for a 'skinny tie'-wearing manic depressive...

Not sure what point you're making with the first two paragraphs but if you're lamenting a lack of passion for the game these recent months, then I couldn't agree more. I wouldn't swap the mid-90s team for our current crew yet I can't seem to follow them with as much gusto either. Strange...
Tony J Williams
5   Posted 13/04/2011 at 18:52:23

Rrmmm.... well... ermmm... Tara then lad... I think?
John Crossley
6   Posted 13/04/2011 at 18:54:13

"...pseudo-libertarian to which I?m adverse."

Is that when you tie a women up and give her a good ......

Sean McCarthy
7   Posted 13/04/2011 at 19:43:55

Pompous drivel!!
Ron Broadstairs
8   Posted 13/04/2011 at 19:52:18

Are you a drama student?
Paul Thompson
9   Posted 13/04/2011 at 19:57:17

Not only pompus, but arrogant. What evidence have you got that 'Like the ?baby boom? generation, Everton aged recklessly, without grace or collective foresight'?

After you've watched Everton for 50 years, there's opportunity for foresight and hindsight in abundance. Like others, I've seen highs and lows and everything in between. I may regret the corporate conquest of football as much as you do, but it is what it is.

The passion for Everton runs too deep to stop now. Chill out and try not to swallow too many dictionaries.

Andy Crooks
10   Posted 13/04/2011 at 20:20:41

Christopher, this is a wind-up in response to Michael's yellow card. It really is, isn't it?
Lee Courtliff
11   Posted 13/04/2011 at 20:06:59

This is almost as strange as your comment about........"most people on that list are mediocre at football".

We all get pissed off but you can't just give up.

Otherwise you may as well have spent all these years being just another glory-hunter watching Man Utd on the telly.
Micky Norman
12   Posted 13/04/2011 at 20:41:48

Pretentious? Moi?
Micky Norman
13   Posted 13/04/2011 at 20:43:02

You should be reading up on Eric Heffer lad. He'd show you what being "adversarial to the neo-corporate conservative elitism" really means.
Andy Crooks
14   Posted 13/04/2011 at 20:59:51

Sorry Chris. It's not a wind up. You actually sound pissed off to the point of being depressed. If this isn't a maudlin one-off, seek help.
Nick Entwistle
15   Posted 13/04/2011 at 20:59:47

I once had the lead sports correspondent of the Telegraph posting a reply to my post, critical of the use of the word zeitgeist not once but twice. But even this made me spit out humous all over my kettle chips.

Totally understand though. I suggest not watching any football non-Everton related. Except this time of year when the good games come on... still this Spurs match is a stinker.
Tony McNulty
16   Posted 13/04/2011 at 21:26:18

Methinks Ref Michael is biding his time.
David Hallwood
17   Posted 13/04/2011 at 21:33:43

Gosh Chris, I thought you were going to launch into:- Football from a dialectical Marxist existentialist perspective. Thank fuck ya didn?t.
Dave Roberts
18   Posted 13/04/2011 at 22:07:42

As a lifelong baby boomer I totally refute the suggestion that I grew old recklessly..... in fact I also refute the suggestion that I am old.

What a self indulgent, mastubatory post.

When you say "I'll just say goodbye...." ? you don't mean.....? Nah.
Trevor Lynes
19   Posted 13/04/2011 at 22:45:48

I'm afraid your English smacks of 'Micawberisms'.... Dickensian drivel, old bean!!
20   Posted 13/04/2011 at 22:47:41

I'm replying only to confirm that I'm leaving Premier League football behind ? not life. Your implications are poor form on the internet.%3

David. I'm a Republican, so why don't you wise up.

Nick and Andy. We may disagree on all things Everton and politics but you seem like genuine people. All the best.

Dave. I have a plethora of environmental and social evidence to back up my statement.

Again, and I mean this in accordance with social mores, goodbye and good luck.
Drew O'Neall
21   Posted 13/04/2011 at 22:52:59

Bit over the top but nice for a change.

Sounds like a few people have a fissure on their acromion.
Sean McCarthy
22   Posted 13/04/2011 at 23:21:45

Drew... can you heal that with a cream???
David Booth
23   Posted 13/04/2011 at 23:27:02

I'll get me coat...
Karl Masters
24   Posted 13/04/2011 at 23:24:00

I think he's saying that he's giving up on Everton and football in general because he despises the money-mad circus it has become.

Many would echo the sentiments, but we can't just give up on EFC that easily. We cling to the hope that things will get better one day.

Rather flowery language tends to catch te eye rather than the point he's making. Good luck to you too, Chris.

David Booth
25   Posted 14/04/2011 at 00:43:09

I think he's saying he got a thesaurus for his birthday...
Luke O'Farrell
26   Posted 14/04/2011 at 00:43:08

So, basically, because you don't like Bill Kenwright, you're just going to give up on the club.

Wow! I'm glad my support of Everton isn't as fragile as yours.
David Hallwood
27   Posted 14/04/2011 at 01:18:16

Christopher, I was takin the piss, probably need to grow up rather than wise up.
Brendan O'Doherty
28   Posted 14/04/2011 at 02:06:45

What a load of pseudo-intellectual drivel. This is a football website FFS, so at least you could write in English.

"Crooked crevices penetrate like a cancer." Sounds like a lyric from a Roger Waters album FFS.

Is this what Queens University Belfast is producing these days? Shame on them!

See ya. And shut the door on the way out. Some of us are in this for life.
James Flynn
29   Posted 14/04/2011 at 02:27:23

Christopher ? Don't leave. Stay in. What other website do you think you'll see this type back and forth?
Gerry Morrison
30   Posted 14/04/2011 at 03:21:28

There are many natural scientists, and especially physicists, who continue to reject the notion that the disciplines concerned with social and cultural criticism can have anything to contribute, except perhaps peripherally, to their research. Still less are they receptive to the idea that the very foundations of their worldview must be revised or rebuilt in the light of such criticism. Rather, they cling to the dogma imposed by the long post-Enlightenment hegemony over the Western intellectual outlook, which can be summarized briefly as follows: that there exists an external world, whose properties are independent of any individual human being and indeed of humanity as a whole; that these properties are encoded in "eternal'' physical laws; and that human beings can obtain reliable, albeit imperfect and tentative, knowledge of these laws by hewing to the "objective'' procedures and epistemological strictures prescribed by the (so-called) scientific method.
Dean Lim
31   Posted 14/04/2011 at 03:56:16

Goodbye, Chris.
Brian Williams
32   Posted 14/04/2011 at 05:25:56

A crevice can't penetrate can it? wouldn't it "be" penetrated as opposed to............(cough) errrrr never mind.

You must have been really bored mate, but I guess you've got the response you sought.

Don Kiddick
33   Posted 14/04/2011 at 06:05:36

I must be thick as fuck... I didn't understand a word of that.
Howard Don
34   Posted 14/04/2011 at 07:22:41

Pompous, patronising nonesense. How did this garbage get through the crapometer?
Jamie Barlow
35   Posted 14/04/2011 at 07:29:00

You're not on your own Don!!
Andrew Laird
36   Posted 14/04/2011 at 08:27:04

I love football, no matter how much I despise the modern era and so one could call me an.....

Antidisestablishmentarian.

In a sense, mind.
James Greem
37   Posted 14/04/2011 at 08:30:04

I love lamp!!
Andrew Oxton
38   Posted 14/04/2011 at 08:27:02

Mr Logic
Andrew Laird
39   Posted 14/04/2011 at 08:31:15

Is this the right website for the internet scrabble championship?
Tony J Williams
40   Posted 14/04/2011 at 08:54:35

I guess that Kenwright is floccinaucinihilipilification... Sorry, I thought we were just using bid words and not really applying them correctly.

I watched Crossword with that Scottish bloke who shagged Miss UK, can I say 'Scottish' and 'bloke' without the fear of being reported? I hope so.
Richard Parker
41   Posted 14/04/2011 at 09:04:46

I'm thinking of a word... starts with B, ends with S, has a double L in the middle and 2 O's.

Clue: it's not balloons.
Derek Thomas
42   Posted 14/04/2011 at 08:46:01

OR;

Not Dickensian ? Mr Macawber was always expecting 'something' good to turn up. Try as I might I can't get the W C Fields version out of my head... More Kiplingesque.

Fuck this for a game of solders.
I only signed on for the good times.
There's no discharge in the war.
If you can't take a joke you shouldn'ta joined.

Welcome to the real world, wimpboy.
Howard Don
43   Posted 14/04/2011 at 09:32:14

Having got to work and re-read the OP, I now wish to apologise for calling it "pompous, patronising nonsense". On reflection it's nowhere near that good.
Peter Dancer
44   Posted 14/04/2011 at 11:03:50

I wish TW had a 'like' function, facebook style, cos so many of these posts are pure genious!

#22 , #25, #32 are particular favs atm.
Mike Gwyer
45   Posted 14/04/2011 at 11:00:09

Chris.

Most things in life go in circles and any supporter, who can recall will tell you that, in-between the "school of science" era and Howard Kendal'sl first stint, Everton played far worse than they do now. Gates went down to about 14 thousand (Coventry I think), we spent about tuppence a year on players, and winning away was not heard of. Oh yes, we also won fuck-all silverware. So, who was to blame for Everton's decade of poor form? The owners, managers or Thatcher?

Additionally, by their standards the RS are struggling, Chelsea look piss poor, and City & Spurs on the up. Yes, I know, EFC need cash but the circle will continue to get rid of the old and bring in new.

Will the good times come back? Why not ? you just need to be sure you are at GP when they do. Besides, what else are you going to do on a Saturday? What, peak at the full time scores and shout, "YES"?
Shaun Brennan
46   Posted 14/04/2011 at 11:42:26

Chris McCullough, I certainly hope you are not jobless and there is a worth for such writing style and technique somewhere outside of the Dead Poets Society...
Chris Bannantyne
47   Posted 14/04/2011 at 12:06:24

What on earth? I was embarrased FOR YOU when I read this...
Terry Hayes
48   Posted 14/04/2011 at 12:10:34

Pssst... has he gone?
David Booth
49   Posted 14/04/2011 at 12:24:39

An entertainingly random thought just occurred to me: despite the eminently enjoyable examples of Evertonian eloquence in evidence here, has anyone ? and author Mr McCullough in particular ? said anything of the remotest relevance or interest yet?

And here's another: is this Toffeeweb, or have we been transported back into the late nineteenth century and woken up as Old Etonians?
Phil Bellis
50   Posted 14/04/2011 at 12:36:20

One bit of advice ? no, two ? make that two bits of advice, young man:

You can't hurry love, no, you just have to wait

Never lick a steak-knife.
Noel Lynam
51   Posted 14/04/2011 at 13:00:27

I think you have all missed the main point of his article. What he is trying to say is that he is an attention seeker.
52   Posted 14/04/2011 at 13:30:30

I won't leave the personal comments unchallenged.

To the language police: I will write in whichever style that pleases me.

Brendan. What is the causal link between my post and the quality of Queens grads?

I've met many a brave man on the internet. I simply have no affinity for modern football. Perhaps I should have just said that but we have freedom of speech.
Micky Norman
53   Posted 14/04/2011 at 14:14:43

Well done Chris. You are a comic genius and have produced the funniest thread for ages. More please. How's about one in the style of Chomsky or one in Newspeak?
John Maxwell
54   Posted 14/04/2011 at 13:12:03

Blackadders dictionary just keeps on growing.......
Terry Hayes
55   Posted 14/04/2011 at 14:43:16

Shit, he's come back...
Tony Cheek
56   Posted 14/04/2011 at 14:40:04

Richard #41...is it "bulldoozers"?
Stephen Leary
57   Posted 14/04/2011 at 14:48:27

What?
Michael Kenrick
Editorial Team
58   Posted 14/04/2011 at 14:43:24

Part of me feels sorry for Chris. I do think he is in pain.

Part of me is a bit Ricky Gervais re Karl the ugly little Manc: "I am that stick."

And part of me is equally concerned for football... and for our little corner thereof: Chris's meltdown is the only thing I've had come in over the desk in the last 24 hours!

Now you don't want The Editor writing stuff... Trust me. That always ends up badly.

Or we could just shut down ? but not until June. And only for a month... First time ever... but with the transfer garbage looming large and us with no money ? I'm very tempted.
Chris Bannantyne
59   Posted 14/04/2011 at 15:07:13

You can't shut down, Michael! Not even for a day, how else can we vent our spleen during transfer time? It might all be rubbish, but it's interesting and often funny rubbish.

On a side note, and not directly Everton related, I saw an episode of some programme on the crime channel where they told the story of the Rhys Jones murder. I'd heard the story a bit before, but this had the re-enactments and interviews with the parents etc. How bloody tragic.
Eugene Ruane
60   Posted 14/04/2011 at 15:19:05

Quite a reaction.

Which surprises me, as there's nothing in the post that makes me think "strongly disagree" or "that's outrageous!".

Plus the line "Everton aged recklessly, without grace or collective foresight" is imo excellent and something I would DEFINITELY wear on a t-shirt (when my 'awesome possum' is in the wash).

Seems to me many just don't like HOW the post was written.

Fair enough I suppose...though if I was Chris, I might be galled to be slagged (TWICE) by Howard Don (34, 43) - a man who (apparently) changes his spelling of the word nonsense, each time he posts.

('crapometer'? - lucky there isn't a SPELLometer).
Neil McKinney
61   Posted 14/04/2011 at 16:18:07

This is a strange post. Some funny replies though.

One thing that did strike me, from the bits that fully I understood...

"the current regime makes me sick. (I realise that I?m in the docile minority or alone with these views.)"

Really? Do you visit this website often? What would make you think that you are in a minority or alone in that opinion?

You can write in any style you like mate. Not sure why you would choose such flowery language for this site or this topic though. Seems a bit out of place to me, but each to his own and all that.
Neil McKinney
62   Posted 14/04/2011 at 16:34:49

Ooops, that should read "I fully understood"

That's why most of it was over my head ;0)
63   Posted 14/04/2011 at 16:51:02

Peter Dancer

Being dyslexic, I'm not keen on patronising people for their spelling; however, you ARE attempting to take the piss out of my genuine feelings.

So, I'll point out the irony of your spelling of the word 'genius'.

Thanks to Phil, Eugene, Mike, James, Stephen and Stephen. True Evertonians, in my opinion.

Gerry Morrison, excellent post.
Peter Dancer
64   Posted 14/04/2011 at 16:32:15

Interesting point Eugene #60. If it was written in more 'down to earth' language the idea of being pissed off at the way football is run atm is fairly valid.
Phil Bellis
65   Posted 14/04/2011 at 17:00:33

If it were me, I think I'd have wriiten...
I used to like football, when it was a working man's pastime played by working-class lads with whom you could identify
Now it's played by millionaires and run by tossers, I don't
And EJ
I didn't agree with the "baby boom generation" jibe - wha?
I may not have aged with grace and am certainly not as good as I once was - but I'm as fuckin good once as I ever was
John Welsh
66   Posted 14/04/2011 at 17:12:06

The original post makes sense to me. He's sick of of football and the way that egoism, capital interests and greed have have come to dominate. How the heck is that offensive or hard to comprehend?

David Booth
67   Posted 14/04/2011 at 17:18:13

No matter how you say it... this post still really says nothing at all does it - apart from the fact Chris is a bit cheesed off with Everton and football in general it seems?

Wow, how revelatory.
Eugene Ruane
68   Posted 14/04/2011 at 18:16:37

Don't be too hard on yourself Phil, I've always thought of you as our very own Hail Mary (ie: full of grace).

As for Chris's baby boomer reference, maybe I did let this go.

However in my defence I tend to be confused about 'THE' baby boom.

I mean my mother was from Ireland, as were my dad's mam and dad, meaning contraception was very thin on the...erm...ground.

Consequently, Ruane (and Shannon) babies 'boomed' in EVERY generation.

By the way, anyone know of an Everton supporters club/pub in Gothenburg?
Howard Don
69   Posted 14/04/2011 at 19:16:02

That's the whole point Eugene (60) Opinions I could deal with, we're all entitled to them and maybe Christopher is making a reasonable point if you could filter out the pretentious woffle and pretentious it definitely was. Spelling mistakes? We all do them mate sorry if it offends you.
70   Posted 14/04/2011 at 19:33:48

How have I shown pretence, Howard?
Richard Harris
71   Posted 14/04/2011 at 19:36:45

Max Fine wrote "Sounds like a weird diary entry for a 'skinny tie'-wearing manic depressive".

Guilty as charged... or at least in the late 70s/early 80s until we starting winning things. From that point on it was an open necked shirt with a cravat, a spring in my step, a happy demenour and popular with the ladies :0)

Eugene Ruane
72   Posted 14/04/2011 at 19:30:15

Howard Don - yes we ARE all entitled to our opinion.

Here's mine.

In post 34 you had your say on Chris's post (ie: it was 'nonesense' etc).

Fair enough, I've no problem with that at all (apart from the spelling).

But then (43) you RETURNED.

And why?

To say.. erm..the same thing (only in the form of a shit gag).

Between 34 and 43, Chris had NOT had a go back at you, which leads me to believe you were simply enjoying putting the boot in, for the sake of it (bet you'd have been first with a flaming torch in your hand, up to Frankenstein's gaff).

And yes we DO all make spelling mistakes, but if you're going to be a smart-arse about someone else, then (in MY opinion) you beg to have it pointed out when you show you're not so fucking smart yourself.

Fair?

With that in mind, can I point out it's we all MAKE mistakes, not 'do' them.

And it's WAFFLE not 'woffle'.

(tip: Switch Bravo off, read a book!)

Phil Bellis
73   Posted 14/04/2011 at 20:20:56

Nice one, EJ

As my old fella (a Dundalk man) used to say when Fr Bunloaf went on about the rhythm method, "now, where'd you get a céilidh band at 4 in the mornin'?

And Richard, took me 40-odd years but I eventually brought slim ties back into fashion - next, tab collars and collar pins.

James Carroll
74   Posted 14/04/2011 at 21:18:44

Oh, bugger.
Who let Charlie Sheen on to the site...?
Brendan O'Doherty
75   Posted 14/04/2011 at 21:23:32

Chris, sounds to me like you are/have recently been a student at QUB and have been spending too much time in the Students Union bar having intellectual discussions about the meaning of life.

Having gone there myself I can assure you that this is merely a temporary condition which will wear off in the fullness of time.

In the meantime you could try an intermediate remedy such as attending a football match; this will bring you back to reality with a bang. Best of luck. :-)

Dean Adams
76   Posted 14/04/2011 at 21:44:12

This must be a record. No players have been slated and nor has the manager and tactics.

Well done Chris, you deserve a medal for your valliant efforts, but you have probably left by now so won't be able to see the first piece of silverware we have had in 16 years!!!

77   Posted 14/04/2011 at 22:03:46

That seems like an absurd leap, Brendan. I rarely drink actually. I go to games when circumstances dictate :)

No problem (to the poster above) glad I could be of service. Maybe its the 48 year rule now?

Anyway, nobody seems to be discussing neoliberalism's affect on football.

I keep coming back to slabber back at people so perhaps you could be a gent and close this one, Michael?
James Hollister
78   Posted 14/04/2011 at 22:16:18

I cant wait for the start of next season. I hope the bookies have a good bet going for how long our bad start to the season will last... I fear though the prices will be very low and not worth taking after this complete sham of shit season.
Nick Taylor
79   Posted 14/04/2011 at 22:33:32

Chris, even this season there have been games which have restored the collective faith in all things Blue. For eg: efc v blkpool, efc v spurs, cfc v efc (PL/cup) efc v mufc and nufc v efc.
Ray Roche
80   Posted 14/04/2011 at 22:47:38

This is BRILLIANT! I've not read Pseuds Corner for years....

Eugene @60...don't you mean "smellometer"?
Howard Don
81   Posted 14/04/2011 at 23:09:42

Christopher (70) An online version of the Oxford dictionary defines pretentious as:

"the act of trying to appear more important, intelligent, etc. than you are in order to impress other people" ? which I think sums up what you were trying to do.

Now I may not be able to spell to Eugene's high standards and am obviously illiterate in comparison with someone so widely read as him, but I do know how to say things simply and plainly, maybe you should try doing the same.

Oh and I also called you patronising which is what your ridiculous comment re baby boomers certainly was. Generalising on the basis of age group is no better than doing it on the basis of race, religion or gender.

82   Posted 14/04/2011 at 23:29:33

Thanks for googling that for me, Howard.

There was not elevating myself any higher than others who have the audacity to make a post on toffeeweb. It is a topic I feel strongly about and it took me all of 10 minutes to compose. Perhaps I read too much, it just comes out like that.

My comment about the baby boomers is accurate. I used as an analogy. I apologise sincerely if I have offended you or others. I'm not suggesting that I would have behaved differently if I was a baby boomer. I'm didn't suggest that baby boomers are old either. We are all here for a short time. And I get along with people of all ages, sexes, religion or whatever. I take people as I find them.
83   Posted 15/04/2011 at 00:23:52

Which words did you not understand, lads? To dismiss my language as pretentious is starting to seem resentful and petty.
Luke O'Farrell
84   Posted 15/04/2011 at 01:41:24

Chris

Whether you are some super intelligent Mensa member or an illiterate person on the dole, I think the point people are trying to get across to you is that you could easily have got your point across in more suitable terminology.

This is after all a football website; not a chance for people to show how articulate and absurd they can be with their choice of vocabulary.

Also considering your obvious level of superior intellect, please explain how a crevice can penetrate things???
85   Posted 15/04/2011 at 01:57:17

Luke

Why don't you express your own terminology and queries instead of jumping on a bandwagon?

I used the cancer terminology because I feel the club is decaying and seeping into me like osmosis.

Now get a life, son.
John Welsh
86   Posted 15/04/2011 at 09:22:38

?Truth is used in the service of capitalism,? says Foucault. If constructivism holds, the values of football are reminiscent of of the post-structuralist, neo-liberal hegemonic order.

In the world of the football players (the ?service provider?) a predominant concept is arguably the distinction between richer and richer. However, teams like Man City use the term ?neotextual discourse? to denote a self-justifying whole. This suggests that we have to choose between constructivism and postcultural libertarianism.

If one examines neotextual discourse, one must accept Debordist image and conclude that the significance of the observer is still a significant form. Thus, several discourses concerning the semanticist paradigm of expression exist.

Therefore, the failure, and thus the economy, of the textual paradigm of context depicted in the original post emerges and signifies a precultural sense. The subject is interpolated into a semanticist paradigm of expression that includes football as a totality.

Dave Wilson
87   Posted 15/04/2011 at 09:35:28

"Bet you`d have been the first with a flaming touch in your hand, up to Frankenstien's gaff."

Possibly the funniest thing I have read on here.
Eugene Ruane
88   Posted 15/04/2011 at 08:17:04

Howard Don, you say..

"Now I may not be able to spell to Eugene's high standards and am obviously illiterate in comparison with someone so widely read as him".

Illiterate compared to ME?

Try illiterate compared to a fucking potato!

And don't give us that 'high standards' bollocks.

'Sarcastically' stating that others have 'high standards', suggests standards that are TOO high - a tactic that often (and certainly in this instance) is nothing but a desperate attempt to deflect attention from one's own shortcomings.

My 'standards' are no higher than average, but you have made basic errors in EVERY post including 81 (ffs, it's AS widely read, not SO).

Truth is, it's your own LOW standards you should be addressing.

And by the way, the spelling smokescreen doesn't hide the fact that you posted TWICE to put the boot in (maybe while you're searching for definitions on the 'online version of the Oxford dictionary', you should look up 'herd', 'mob' and 'bully').
David Hallwood
89   Posted 15/04/2011 at 09:57:22

John Welsh (#83): ? put it on me 'ead, son!
John Daley
90   Posted 15/04/2011 at 10:35:11

"To the language police: I will write in whichever style that pleases me."

Preferably a grammatically incorrect style?

John Daley
91   Posted 15/04/2011 at 10:48:25

For some reason the OP reminds me of Professor Frink from the Simpsons:

Frink is Springfield's local mad scientist. He has a trademark mannerism of using tourettes-like gibberish when excited, such as "GLAVIN!" and shouting other words that have no relevance to the situation at hand.
Frink is said to have an IQ of 197; 199 before he sustained a concussion during the collapse of Springfield's brief intellectual junta. .

Frink is fond of flubber, a material with enhanced bounce properties which his basketball shoes are made out of.

Professor Frink is the inventor of, among other things, hamburger earmuffs, the flying motorcycle and the 8-month after pill.

Paul Thompson
92   Posted 15/04/2011 at 11:12:52

John Welsh@83: I hope that was a piss take or parody. If it wasn't I'm afraid it merely proves that poststructuralism is no better applied to football than any other aspect of life. Most posters on this site are more interested in dis season than discourse.

Chris: yes, 'neoliberalism' (aka the big bad capitalist world) does have a negative effect on football. But on the logic of (then) giving up the game, none of us would leave the house, buy goods or go to work.
Dave Roberts
93   Posted 15/04/2011 at 11:42:36

This is the longest goodbye since Frank Sinatra's 7 year long farewell tour.
Andy Crooks
94   Posted 15/04/2011 at 12:30:17

Well done Christopher, you've kicked off the best thread of the season.
John Welsh
95   Posted 15/04/2011 at 12:47:01

@Howard

Can I ask whether you agree or disagree with the OP? It is just that you are making multiple posts, none of which are actually related to the points that were actually made.

Personally, I think the OP makes some good points. I'm not surprised that he's fed up with the current state of affairs. I am too.
David Booth
96   Posted 15/04/2011 at 13:31:44

...then why didn't he just say so John?
Tony J Williams
97   Posted 15/04/2011 at 14:24:01

Touche David!

Most entertaining thread in a while this one, a few bickerings but good banter, like the quiz one.

Shaun Brennan
98   Posted 15/04/2011 at 14:42:07

Chris ignore them and the jibes mate. There is always room for you in Stephen Fry's taxi.
James Carroll
99   Posted 15/04/2011 at 13:05:50

When the seagulls follow the trawler, it is because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea.
Peter Laing
100   Posted 15/04/2011 at 15:43:28

I enjoyed your post Chris, however you remind me of Donald Rumsfeld who famously stated "There are known knowns. These are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say, there are things that we know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns." draw your attention to a couple of his other classic's "It is easier to get into something than to get out of it". And the one that probably sums up your current predicament "If in doubt, don't. If still in doubt, do what's right ". Eugene I thoroughly enjoyed your comments and chastening of Don.
David Bingham
101   Posted 15/04/2011 at 16:08:48

I have nothing interesting to add. Just a thank you for making the last 30 minutes go with a giggle. Off for a weeks hol's and my brain has shut down already. Not quite sure what I can do at work for the 1 Hour 15 Minutes. Wait, I'm the boss. Fuck it, will have to leave early and go to the pub!
Phil Bellis
102   Posted 15/04/2011 at 16:56:21

"My comment about the baby boomers is accurate."
Says who?
103   Posted 15/04/2011 at 17:24:04

Giddens, Anthony, 2009. The Politics of Climate Change. London: Polity Press.

Phil, i've deliberately picked the work of two British baby boomers. However, the literature on this topic is well developed. It really took off with 'the Silent Spring in 1962. Since then UNFCCC process has attempted to catalyse a process of behavioural change which should have begun years.

My criticism is of governments and vested interests, mainly. I don't have anything to add to earlier comments.

Happy Easter.
Guy Wilkinson
104   Posted 15/04/2011 at 17:41:00

I wasted a short period of my life reading this brain wank.
Steve Pugh
105   Posted 15/04/2011 at 17:45:51

Chris, I have one question for you. When you are talking with your friends do you use the same highbrow language that you have used in your OP or do you use a more common vocabulary? If you always use these words then you are not being pretentious, if you have used them especially for this site then you are.

As for your opinions, don't go too far, the bubble will burst.
106   Posted 15/04/2011 at 18:04:44

Steve, it depends on the friends with whom I'm talking. I'm spending more time with professionals at the moment. I'm sure you can understand the distinction.
For me, my language seems to depend on the topic. I didn't think this was unusual....

Hope so, mate.
107   Posted 15/04/2011 at 18:04:44

Steve- it depends on the friends with whom I'm talking. I'm spending more time with professionals at the moment. I'm sure you can understand the distinction.

Hope so, mate.

108   Posted 15/04/2011 at 18:22:13

Ok, it's quiet on ToffeeWeb and this thread is lingering like a fart in an elevator.

I would ask you kindly not to leave anymore personal comments. Coming from Evertonians, it winds me up.
Graham Fylde
109   Posted 15/04/2011 at 19:11:23

EJ (60) surely that's 'if I were you' - subjunctive, I believe.

Chris please confirm.
110   Posted 15/04/2011 at 20:20:14

Dear Graham,

Thanks for your query.

Too many shadows, whispering voices
Faces on posters, too many choices
If, when, why, what?
How much have you got?
Have you got it, do you get it, if so, how often?
And which do you choose, a hard or soft option?
(How much do you need?)

Hope this is useful. Good luck in your endevours,
111   Posted 15/04/2011 at 21:49:58

To Eugene's HOW I would add WHO and WHERE to your snide presumtions...
Ray Roche
112   Posted 15/04/2011 at 23:11:15

Isn't it presumPtions?
113   Posted 15/04/2011 at 23:15:55

Think I mentioned my condition.

Few gobshites 'round here.
Stuart O'Malley
114   Posted 15/04/2011 at 23:23:48

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
115   Posted 15/04/2011 at 23:25:48

Exactly, Stuart. I'm just here to defend myself from snide clowns. Once this is replaced, I'm out of Evertonia.

Maybe you could write an article?
James Flynn
116   Posted 16/04/2011 at 00:48:24

Chris - A thread not about Pienaar, Kenwright or Moyes past the century mark! Good job. What makes ToffeeWeb the best.
Don Kiddick
117   Posted 16/04/2011 at 03:54:21

I thought he had gone... but no, he is still lurking.
118   Posted 16/04/2011 at 03:55:16

John Daley: congratulations. You're the one person to embarrass me. Two years of rewarding and precious time at grammar school down the toilet. In my defence; spare of the moment passion is an 'aul whore'. Nevermind. No defence at all.
119   Posted 16/04/2011 at 04:17:11

Don

I'm here for this thread. I wish they would end it too yet you're sufficiently interested to comment.
120   Posted 16/04/2011 at 04:27:27

Don, contact the editors if you are offended by my presence.
121   Posted 16/04/2011 at 05:18:48

Following contact with my employer I request the removal of political references. Preferably all posts.
Ged Simpson
122   Posted 16/04/2011 at 05:58:12

This is the most drawn-out, fumbled exit I've ever seen.

And, to make matters worse ? I've just become a member of the cast.

So, let me give directions: exit stage right. The bar has shut, the last buses are due and the cleaners need to get in before the matinee with Blackburn.

?Heaven grant that the burden you carry may have as easy an exit as it had an entrance.? ? Desiderius Erasmus.
Ray Roche
123   Posted 16/04/2011 at 07:47:24

McCullough

Calling me a "cunt" really strengthens your argument, doesn't it? I'll bet your mother would be proud of your incisive wit.
David Booth
124   Posted 16/04/2011 at 09:43:24

Hmmmm, Mr McCullough reverts to a base four-letter word.

He's not the messiah... he's a very naughty boy!
Phil Bellis
125   Posted 16/04/2011 at 11:22:08

?You have sat too long here for any good you have been doing. Depart, I say, and let us have done with you. In the name of God, go!?

Bar Manager,
Legs Of Man
1969
Tony J Williams
126   Posted 16/04/2011 at 11:30:59

Chris, you can easily end this thread. Just confirm that you will not be reading any more replies and then, as Ged says, "exit stage right"

Posters will stop posting about you after a while when they know you will not be raising to their bait.
Ray Roche
127   Posted 16/04/2011 at 11:45:58

On second thoughts isn't "cunt" the name of that polar bear who died last week?
Ron Broadstairs
128   Posted 16/04/2011 at 12:04:05

Chris really don't respond, it's all getting a bit "lord of the Flies" -not very pleasant, you're still an evertonian and that's all that matters.

Editor needs to look at himself, you requested early on this be knocked on the head - usual poor performance.
Ray Roche
129   Posted 16/04/2011 at 11:45:58

On second thoughts isn't "cunt" the name of that polar bear who died last week?
Chad Schofield
130   Posted 16/04/2011 at 12:41:32

Christ,

I had forgotten about this, but it seemed to go a bit nuclear. My comment seems to have been removed, but then I suppose it was off topic and the post that I was replying to was removed as well.

What a truly bizarre thread! Hopefully this post will keep Chris supporting Everton at least until kick off.
Ged Simpson
131   Posted 16/04/2011 at 13:47:19

"Alas poor Chris........." etc
Eugene Ruane
132   Posted 16/04/2011 at 13:46:52

Graham Fylde (109) - Subjunctive THIS!

(grabs plums, thrusts hips)
Graham Fylde
133   Posted 16/04/2011 at 14:53:07

Ha ha, very good!
James Flynn
134   Posted 17/04/2011 at 04:15:38

Ray (130) - Just don't call someone a cunt if you come to America. It's the most vicious of insults over here.
Ray Roche
135   Posted 17/04/2011 at 16:51:12

James Flynn.

Read the thread properly. McCullough called me a cunt in an earlier post, now removed, as yet I haven't called anyone that. At least, not on here! It's also a very bad thing to call someone over here, too, especially if you're a spineless creep resorting to name calling from behind your PC. Like McCullough.
Eugene Ruane