Player of the season

Seeing as it's a quiet time, I'd be interested in Evertonians views on the following:

1) Player of the season?
2) Most surprisingly good player of the season?
3) Most disappointing player of the season?

For me it's: Baines, Distin, & Arteta.

Andy Crooks, Belfast     Posted 14/04/2011 at 20:10:04

4   Posted 15/04/2011 at 14:19:41

(1) Baines
(2) tied Distin/Coleman
(3) all of our first team strikers except beckford
Jamie Barlow
5   Posted 15/04/2011 at 14:25:08

1. Baines 2. Distin 3. Bilyaletdinov again.
Andy Mack
6   Posted 15/04/2011 at 14:32:01

1. Player of the Season - Baines by a long yard.
2. Surprising - Neville or Distin, still lives in the old dogs yet!
3. Disappointing? Pienaar for skipping down to spurs.
John Audsley
7   Posted 15/04/2011 at 14:34:32

Hmm,

1. Baines
2. Distin
3. Arteta

Could have Distin at 1, Ossie at 2 and Vic at 3 as well but i guess thats against the rules
Tony J Williams
8   Posted 15/04/2011 at 14:36:51

1 - Baines/Distin - can't seem to separate the both at the moment

2- Osman - always knew he was a skillful player but he has carried the load well the last month

3 - Heitinga - The Ego has landed... and left his bottle at the airport

3. Anichebe
Ray Roche
11   Posted 15/04/2011 at 14:56:06

1. Baines
2. Osman
3. Arteta

Even though Arteta looked to be finding some sort of form before yet another injury put him back on the treatment table.
Anichebe isn't a disappointment, I never thought he was as good as he did in the first place.
Andy Burke
12   Posted 15/04/2011 at 15:14:22

1.Baines.
2.Beckford (I'm liking the look of him of late).
3.Arteta.
Tony J Williams
13   Posted 15/04/2011 at 15:22:02

Shit, how did I even forget him? I want to change my number 3 to Anichebe.
Paul Rice
14   Posted 15/04/2011 at 15:34:14

Tony I was just agreeing with your (8) post then you go and change you mind you scamp!........Jonny has been a mega disapointment to me - he looked like a potential legend last year - looks like a definite shithouse this year
1. Baines
2. Distin
3. Heitinga
Howard Don
15   Posted 15/04/2011 at 15:46:16

1) Almost impossible to separate Baines and Distin, but going for Distin.

2) Osman

3) Bily, I thought he'd really come into his own this year, big disappointment.
Tony Cheek
16   Posted 15/04/2011 at 15:39:35

Baines, Distin, Arteta sounds right to me too. But, just cant understand why Heitinga is so unpopular. OK, he bottled a tackle once and shot his mouth off. So what? Has he really played badly for us? I think he has done a good job , although not living up to expectations. A really good squad player and I for one hope he stays.
Dennis Stevens

Arteta
Dan Brierley
19   Posted 15/04/2011 at 16:17:36

Baines

Osman

Arteta

All by a country mile to be honest.
Damien McKay
20   Posted 15/04/2011 at 16:23:03

Baines (just could easily be Distin)
Distin
Pienaar (who can blame him though?) Heitinga (World's best centre back) has been turd and bottled it several times this season.
Dick Anderson
21   Posted 15/04/2011 at 16:24:34

1. Baines

2. Coleman

3. Rodwell

I picked Rodwell as most disappointing because at the start of the season he was tipped as the next big thing and he failed to have any good games. Hardly scored a goal. Failed to break into the England squad. And has basically been left behind by Wilshire. Admittedly injuries have played a part but Rodwell has been very disappointing.
Gavin Ramejkis
22   Posted 15/04/2011 at 16:32:56

1. Baines
2. Distin/Coleman/Osman/Beckford
3. Arteta/Anichebe/Yakubu/Heitinga/Rodwell/Bily

Was tempted to say "the rest" for number 3
Alan Khan
23   Posted 15/04/2011 at 16:23:36

1. Baines

2. Distin

3. Arteta

Paul Rice
24   Posted 15/04/2011 at 17:07:23

Tony (16) I can see the point about Heitinga to be honest but the award is 'Most dissapointing player' not 'worst player'..........he looked like a leg-end last season and ended up a bell-end this season in my book.

Victor is obviously a far more gash player but then he never looked an awful lot more than that to be honest.
Tony J Williams
25   Posted 15/04/2011 at 17:29:09

Good point Paul, my choices revert back to post 8, as I am not disappointed in Vic, as I alway knew he was gash.
Aodhan O'Faolain
26   Posted 15/04/2011 at 17:31:49

Distin

Coleman

Howard, for his early-season clangers that contributed to the race for the bottom.

Just to be awkward...

2. Osman
3. Arteta
Norman Merrill
30   Posted 15/04/2011 at 18:00:11

1st Baines
2nd Distin
3rd Anichebe, considering that he was given a new contract during it.
Chris Wilkinson
31   Posted 15/04/2011 at 18:08:42

1.Baines
2.Coleman
3. Anichebe
James Bernard
32   Posted 15/04/2011 at 18:08:17

For me it has to be Distin at number one. Other people would have crumbled under the criticism he got at the start of the season but now there is no one else I would rather have than this no nonsense Frenchman.

Second would probably have to be Baines as although i knew he was good, this season he has been a revelation at left back and so much better than that twat Cashley Cole.

Third would have to be Anichbe who has had much more time on the pitch that say Gueye but has shown so much less.
Lee Courtliff
33   Posted 15/04/2011 at 18:37:23

1) Baines,without doubt for me.

2) Coleman,awesome first full season.

3) Rodwell,absolutely fuckin' useless this season. At least Bily has scored a couple of cracking goals..Arteta has been poor but he has still contributed more than "Englands Future Captain".

And Victor is just a fucking joke!
Scott Goin
34   Posted 15/04/2011 at 19:06:19

1) Distin - almost every time I see the other team break out, Distin is right there to stop them (or coming out of nowhere with his speed to take them down)

2) Bit of an odd one since he's been here forever but Neville. I wanted him on the bench at the beginning of the year but his leadership and surprising defense on the likes of Bale have really impressed me. I honestly think we'd be fighting against relegation if it weren't for our Captain.

3) Disappointing has to be Arteta. For the vast majority of the season he just passed the ball sideways and refused to attack or be adventurous in the final third. And it's not like his defense is much to write home about either. His last two games though were good so I'm hoping for the best next year.
Alex Kociuba
35   Posted 15/04/2011 at 19:13:30

1. Distin
2. Osman
3. Jagielka
Alex Kociuba
36   Posted 15/04/2011 at 19:15:31

"3) Rodwell,absolutely fuckin' useless this season."

Lee, he's only played 6 full league games and the odd 10 mins in about 4 or 5 other games. He hasn't been fully fit all season either I suspect. Calling him fucking useless is a bit unreasonable!
Duncan McDine
37   Posted 15/04/2011 at 19:14:49

Well it seems the conclusion is that there have been a whole host of dissaponting players this season... Arteta, Rodwell, Heitinga, Vic, Saha, Bily, Yak, Cahill etc etc.

Player of the season is Bainsey by a mile, and Distin must be most surprising. Ossie and Neville have also been fantastic.
Andy Crooks
38   Posted 15/04/2011 at 19:13:32

I actually meant to add another category. It was the best moment to be an Evertonian (there haven't been many). For me, it was Ashley Cole's exit from the pitch after the penalty shoot out.

There are some decent men playing Premier League football but a pretty high percentage of low life. For me, and some Chelsea supporting mates wouldn't argue. Ashley Cole is as disgusting a specimen as ever pulled on a football shirt.

Now, this is not a great footballing moment, but Heitinga making him look like a cowardly bitch and his graceless exit was a pretty fine moment. Top that.

Scott Goin
39   Posted 15/04/2011 at 19:28:53

I'm not sure if anything can come close to the Chelsea shootout. I particularly loved it when Neville drilled the last shot in and did the Beckham pose in front of all the Evertonian fans. Utter joy. The tension that had been building from to that moment from the previous 210 minutes against Chelsea made it all the more beautiful.

The comeback against ManU was also brilliant but it was a bit tarnished as it was only a draw.
Santosh Benjamin
40   Posted 15/04/2011 at 19:47:11

1. Baines
2. Distin/Coleman
3. Anichebe/Arteta/Yakubu
David Hallwood
41   Posted 15/04/2011 at 20:03:20

1st Baines
2nd Distin
3rd Anichebe
Dave Wilson
42   Posted 15/04/2011 at 19:56:17

Listening to Micky Quinn and Adrian Durham on my way home, both expressed absolute astonishment that Baines wasnt in even Nominated for player of the year. I think thats the first time I`ve agreed with either of them.
1) Baines very closely followed by Distin.

2) Beckford - huge strides.

3) Messi - I so hoped he would demand a move to GP in January.

Magic Moments - Cahill Eastlands, Baines WHL + Chelsea, Beckford Anfield and Chelsea, Arteta GP derby. but sitting next to my Spurs supporting boss when Seamus buried that header just edges it for me
Nick Taylor
43   Posted 15/04/2011 at 20:05:17

I concur with sentiments expressed in no 33.
John Talbot
44   Posted 15/04/2011 at 20:11:24

1) Baines
2) Coleman
3) Anichebe by a country mile.

I only hope they gave him a contract to cash in on him.

He is shit.
Joe McMahon
45   Posted 15/04/2011 at 20:23:17

1.Baines
2.Distin/Coleman/Beckford (can't choose)
3.Scott Spencer, Branch, Barlow, Linderoth and of course Anichebe
Stephen Davies
46   Posted 15/04/2011 at 20:47:35

This season
1. Baines
2. Distin / Coleman
3. Bilyaletdinov apart from that goal
Jon Cox
47   Posted 15/04/2011 at 21:10:10

Dan (19) sorry mate by a "country lightyear"
Pat Finegan
48   Posted 15/04/2011 at 21:24:26

1) Baines
2) Distin
3) Anichebe
Ryan Holroyd
49   Posted 15/04/2011 at 22:20:05

1) Leighton Baines. Easy.
2) Coleman
3) Heitinga.
Jon Butcher
50   Posted 15/04/2011 at 23:01:32

1. Baines / Distin
2. Osman / Coleman
3. Arteta / Heitinga
Ian McDowell
51   Posted 15/04/2011 at 23:45:45

1. Distin/Baines cant separate them.
2. Coleman
3. Heitinga (thought he would be class in def mid)
Ben Jones

Arteta.
Don Kiddick
54   Posted 16/04/2011 at 03:56:52

Baines
Coleman
Rodwell

If someone is daft enough to give us £20 million for him, then I would rip of their arms...

The useless lump known as Big Vic would've been number 3 but I have always known he was shite so it was not a disappointment. Please, Mr Moyes ? will you get shut of the big useless waste of skin.
Stephen Kenny
55   Posted 16/04/2011 at 08:24:17

The pens were brilliant, but for me the free kick nestling in the top bag and ending up about 8 rows further down than where I started was the best moment of this season.

That's followed closely by comfortably outplaying the RS.
Lee Courtliff
56   Posted 16/04/2011 at 08:24:34

Alex *36 - Sorry mate but as far as i am concerned Mr Rodwell has been useless this season. It doesn't matter how many games he has played the fact is Jack has done fuck all. Also, i don't beleive he has been below full fitness in every game he has played.

Of course a lot of my frustration with him is because i am constantly being told by fellow Blues,pundits,etc that this lad is going to be something special. I just don't see it.

For me the best moment of the season was.........give me a minute here..........probably Seamus Coleman tearing down the right flank like Kanchelskis and setting up Tim Cahill to absolutely fucking bury the opening goal in the GP derby.

Closely followed by Baines' free-kick at Chelsea and the resulting shoot-out.

Cashley Cole being made to look like the twat that he is was priceless.
Eric Myles
57   Posted 16/04/2011 at 09:21:35

1 Distin
2 Osman
3 Fellaini
Richard Dodd
58   Posted 16/04/2011 at 09:56:30

1) Baines
2) Osman
3) Arteta and Rodwell
Craig Bellew
59   Posted 16/04/2011 at 10:56:00

Jon #50, spot on thats exactly what I was going to add. As for the best moment of the season, it has from my front row seat at Stamford Bridge when Baines curled that peach of a free kick right into the top corner and the wild celebrations that followed. It felt like we had just won the cup. The whole day was made by THAT free kick !!

Sam Hoare
60   Posted 16/04/2011 at 12:11:36

1 Baines
2 Coleman
3 Billy

I really thought Billy was going to become a huge player for us this season and instead he has arguably got worse. His all round game is just so poor for a player of his talent.

Think all the people saying Anichebe are a little harsh. He's not had that much playing time and is doing ok for the admittedly limited talent that he has.

Remember, its 'most disappointing' not 'worst'.
Sam Morrison
61   Posted 16/04/2011 at 19:52:56

1 Baines, closely followed by Distin, plus a nod to Osman for the last month or so.
2 Beckford - clumsy at times, but has been 'surprisingly good' given how he was written off by many before he even started.
3 Heitinga, because he didn't bother. And Arteta, because he didn't bother enough. And Anichebe, because he falls over.
Andrew James
62   Posted 17/04/2011 at 01:30:13

1 - Baines
2 - Beckford
3 - Arteta
Mike Gray
63   Posted 18/04/2011 at 12:59:16

1 - Distin
2 - Coleman
3 - Arteta
Kunal Desai
64   Posted 19/04/2011 at 05:08:22

Cashley rent boy gets into the PFA team for this season yet with 15 assists and 6 goals Leighton Baines doesn't. Somebody somewhere is having a real laugh!