Where Does Arteta Play?

I was just reading that Arteta is nearing a return. Maybe not against Blackburn, but it sounds like definitely in time for Man Utd. Here is my question: When he comes back, should he be put back on the wing, or in a central midfield role?

Before he got hurt, his form was finally turning around on the wing. Problem is, during those three games where he played as a winger, I have never seen him run harder. When he pulled up with the injury, he was in a dead sprint. I'm wondering if, after recovering from an injury like he did, maybe a role in the midfield would be better since he won't have as much space and won't have to run all out, like he does on the wing. Also, the form of Osman comes into the equation: Do we really want to replace Osman in the midfield with Arteta, after Osman's form has been so terrific of late?

Personally, I think there are pluses and minuses to putting him at either position. What does everyone else think?
Patrick Pulis, San Francisco, CA, USA     Posted 15/04/2011 at 17:14:05

Comments

Don Kiddick
1   Posted 16/04/2011 at 06:29:51

Personsally I think I better nip the shops for some groceries
Stephen Kenny
2   Posted 16/04/2011 at 08:30:16

I'd put him on the left and leave Leon in the centre.

That's a sentence I never thought I'd type!
Lee Courtliff
3   Posted 16/04/2011 at 08:37:48

Leave him on the bench on his first game back. The team has done well without him and sadly Mikel has not done enough this season just to walk straight back in.

At least we would have someone on the bench who could make a difference if needed. I hope.
Lee Heath
4   Posted 16/04/2011 at 08:52:34

Totally agree with lee. Besides hamstrings are risky things, soon as you think that its healed it can go again straight away and you are back to square one.
Nick Entwistle
5   Posted 16/04/2011 at 08:53:15

He always goes missing against Utd, so what's it matter?
James Martin
6   Posted 16/04/2011 at 09:12:29

Swap him for Heitinga, Arteta and Neville played well for a long period together a few seasons back and whilst we've improved recently it hasn't really been down to anything contributed by heitinga in that midifeld role. A braver move by Moyes would be to put Arteta on the wing drop osman deeper next to neville and play Bilyaletdinov in that advanced role. Against Man U however I can't see Moyes being so adventurous, if 4-5-1 can ever be described as adventurous.
Glen Anderson
7   Posted 16/04/2011 at 09:18:22

I'd cash in, get some money in while he still has some years left in him and put our trust in Moyes to find a younger, fresher model.

Arteta has done really well for us over the years but I've noticed he is not the same Arteta of old recently.
Eric Myles
8   Posted 16/04/2011 at 09:37:41

^ I'm with Glen, and considering he's our highest paid player I bet he's first on BKs list to ship out come day 1 of the transfer window.
Ray Said
9   Posted 16/04/2011 at 10:35:47

To never thought i would write this but Osman has been way more creative in the last few games than Arteta has been all season. I would keep Osman where he is and stick Arteta on the left where he can give protection to Baines and can also cut in onto his right foot.
Tony J Williams
10   Posted 16/04/2011 at 11:27:56

If Coleman is still injured, stick Mikky on the right, where he won player of they year two years on the bounce.

Good laugh out loud moment Stephen, cheers for that.
Chad Schofield
11   Posted 16/04/2011 at 12:41:19

I would suggest that you should play your players in their best position and only do so if they're fit. As you say, he looked so much better out on the wing and so when he is ready then I would like to see him played there.

If we were to "sell him for a younger model" we would not get a great deal as he's just returning from injury and has not really excelled this year.
Andy Crooks
12   Posted 16/04/2011 at 18:39:42

Can no one recall for the cries for Arteta to be moved back to his proper central midfield role? He has been shite this season and playing him out of position on the wing will not make him any less shite. He has been a great player and I just hope he has another good year in him.

One of the most disappointing aspects of the Moyes era is the fact that Cahill and Arteta don't have winners medals.

David Crowe
13   Posted 16/04/2011 at 20:38:48

Put him on the left instead of Gueye and give Rodders a start after he was good in parts today in place of the probably injured Heitinga. Then Osman in the middle with Rodwell and Coleman on the right. If Seamus isn't right yet, go with Bily again.
Danny Broderick
14   Posted 16/04/2011 at 20:41:36

He's not a centre mid and never will be. But he shouldn't walk straight back into the team either. Either wing or nothing for me.
Colin Malone
15   Posted 16/04/2011 at 21:28:27

Follow follow follow Everton is the team we follow. there,s no better than Mikel Arteta, he,s the best little spaniard we know.

So dont forget it you shallow fuckers.
Andrew James
16   Posted 16/04/2011 at 22:52:46

He should play in some capacity but not to disrupt Ossie. Also, set pieces must remain with Baines.
Pat Finegan
17   Posted 17/04/2011 at 04:49:29

I'm going to step out on a limb here, you're all free to disagree with me...

Arteta is a better winger than Bily.

I know, it sounds crazy but that's how I feel.
Colin Malone
18   Posted 17/04/2011 at 12:52:00

Pat #17 ? Of cause Arteta is a better winger than Bily. Bily ain't a winger, he is getting played out of position..
Andrew James
19   Posted 17/04/2011 at 14:28:49

Bily is better at delivering from out wide than Arteta but is not a winger.
Neil Steele
20   Posted 17/04/2011 at 15:25:50

Wherever he plays, he plays. One thing is for sure, he plays. far and away our best player.
Ped Pearl
21   Posted 17/04/2011 at 15:27:35

Well Pat... you tried ;)

For me, I like having two ball winners in front of the back four... so that would mean Arteta out wide. However with Cahill still out, Arteta and Osman can rotate a bit if we keep Pip and Johnny (or Rodwell) in the middle.

I have decided to let Moyes pick the team for the next match.
Jon Butcher
22   Posted 18/04/2011 at 09:22:03

Arteta is a WINGER, not a central midfielder.
Stick him out on the right.