Members:   Log In Sign Up

I don't believe it!

This think about Bily being the fastest player takes the (proverbial) biscuit ? It's from the Mail Online:

Quite simply (in best Victor Meldrew voice).... "I don't believe it!"

Peter Stone, Dublin     Posted 17/04/2011 at 00:49:51

Comments

Amanda Huddleston
1   Posted 17/04/2011 at 09:01:12

It only counts if your running the right way!

James Bernard
2   Posted 17/04/2011 at 09:48:23

As a fan of Bily even I will admit this is very strange. I really can't think how they could've come up with this statistic.

Now if we are talking shot power?
Ian McDowell
3   Posted 17/04/2011 at 09:51:35

What a load of rubbish, it also claims Gyan is Sunderland's slowest player.
Eric Myles
4   Posted 17/04/2011 at 09:55:25

So I guess this puts paid to the 'too slow to be a winger' comments, although he's not a winger, never has been.
Andy Morden
5   Posted 17/04/2011 at 09:56:46

It may be correct. Bily may be able to get up a good turn of speed but just accelerates slowly. He certainly can't move with the ball at speed, which can be down to technique and acceleration. The EA sports bods may well have captured him running off the ball once he has got up to top speed on a counter attack ? i.e. off the ball and over a distance when he is in full flight. Even so, I have never noticed him being particularly rapid over a distance either.
Don Kiddick
6   Posted 17/04/2011 at 10:19:39

I think it meant that Bily was the fastest at 1: Not getting involved 2: Shirking out of tackles and 3: Losing whatever little confidence he already has.

I just hope he is the fastest one out of the club because I will personally drive him to the airport and believe me I will break all known speed records getting him there just in case he changes his mind.
James Martin
7   Posted 17/04/2011 at 10:21:17

Also had Carrol down as Liverpool's fastest, hard to believe from what I've seen but yeah maybe the bigger men do get up a decent pace once they're in full flight, bit useless on a football field though.

From the fact that some team's keepers are down as their slowest players, this must mean Howard is actually a faster runner than Heitinga. At least we finally have statistical proof that Osman is not the slowest player in the Everton team.

Jamie Tulacz
8   Posted 17/04/2011 at 10:21:06

Not quite convinced by these stats, given that so many players seem to have exactly the same speed.

Interesting to see that, by distance covered, we seem to be one of the fittest teams though?
Brian Denton
9   Posted 17/04/2011 at 10:19:39

Went against the the practice of a lifetime, and looked at something produced by The Daily Mail. Utter crap, so much so that I checked the date on it to see if it was April 1st. The fastest players (and there were a number of them) clocked the same 22.37 mph. A number (but not all) of the 'slowest' players were goalkeepers.Well, duh.....

Total garbage. And when you think that its political coverage is of about the same standard of accuracy ? well, I suppose it's always good to have one's opinions reinforced from time to time.
Guy Hastings
10   Posted 17/04/2011 at 10:42:46

Apparently the clock stopped when they timed Sheedy.
David Hallwood
11   Posted 17/04/2011 at 10:55:59

Good point Guy#10 BTW he wasn't a winger either but he didn't do too bad.
Gavin Ramejkis
12   Posted 17/04/2011 at 11:12:39

Why don't we all say who we think are the fastest players at the club?

For me I'd say:

Beckford
Distin
Baines
Gueye

Not necessarily in that order...
Ernie Baywood
13   Posted 17/04/2011 at 11:19:44

It would be Coleman.
Guy Hastings
14   Posted 17/04/2011 at 11:41:32

Coleman reminds me of Forrest Gump at times, if Gwladys Street and Park End weren't there to block him off he'd be over the hills and faraway by now.
James Martin
15   Posted 17/04/2011 at 12:04:29

I don't think Gueye is as quick as some of the others: Beckford, Distin, Rodwell, Coleman. It seems that only Distin and occasionally Coleman seem to know how to use their pace on a football pitch.

Rodwell needs a huge swathe of open space to motor into before then inexplicably slowing down to pass sideways instead of doing what we all want him to do and beating some defenders and having a shot. Beckford too will be first onto any ball in toward the corner flag but is always second best when the ball is towards goal or he's trying to beat a man.

Don Kiddick
16   Posted 17/04/2011 at 12:33:05

In the mid-70s, it was recognised that Dave Thomas was pretty fast but I thought Bob Latchford was lightening and approaching world record breaking speed, although that was only for the first ¼" then he was just slightly worse than average... yet still faster than Anichibe!
Tony J Williams
17   Posted 17/04/2011 at 13:26:56

Guy, funny you should say that. At the game yesterday Coleman had just got on the pitch and was about to tear down the line, when a lad in the Gwladys shouted, "Run Forrest, Run!" Pissed myself laughing.
Andrew Cunningham
18   Posted 17/04/2011 at 13:58:15

A bit early, but Coleman will be an Everton and Eire legend.
Guy Hastings
19   Posted 17/04/2011 at 15:00:05

Tony 17 ? now, if we can all do that against City...
James Stewart
20   Posted 17/04/2011 at 16:13:21

Rubbish those stats prove nothing. I would like to know how they have been calculated. Gutterpress
Gavin Ramejkis
21   Posted 17/04/2011 at 16:32:05

Tony #17 ? I call him Forrest or Shameless but have been known to shout Run Forrest too from the Park End
Sean McCarthy
22   Posted 17/04/2011 at 20:15:45

Andrew - very early I think!! He runs so fast sometimes he seems to forget to take the ball with him!!
Sean McCarthy
23   Posted 17/04/2011 at 20:15:45

Kase Chow
24   Posted 17/04/2011 at 21:39:14

Oi!! Coleman is class. Seriously
Sean McCarthy
25   Posted 17/04/2011 at 22:14:34

He may be class but I'm just not sure which class it is....gareth bale class or the road runner class!! Beep beep!!
Chris Fisher
26   Posted 18/04/2011 at 11:53:17

James Vaughan by far, the boys like a rocket!
Tim Spring
27   Posted 18/04/2011 at 13:35:24

I know he's sunning himself in Turkey these days but Yobo was rapid when he wanted to be (or had given the ball away!).

I hear The Yak was the fastest into the canteen after training and no-one at the club could scoff down a Ginsters quicker than him!
Dave Roberts
28   Posted 18/04/2011 at 15:21:44

They must have timed his foot when he lashed that goal against Wolves. It may have broken the sound barrier.

Seriously, a players style of running can lead to the wrong impression about how quick they are. Pitter-patter steps like Michael Owen's exaggerated how fast he looked and he looked even quicker than he really was (and he was quick) Viera's long lopey style made him look slow....but he wasn't. Not as simple as you might think.

Bily can cover the ground very well but unfortunately as handy as pace is the game is about far more than that.