Arteta & Cahill to Valencia for £18m

Well in a nutshell I would take it! (Get Banega in the deal)

Both are on top wages (around 135k a week) and it could work out as a win/win deal, Teta?s 29 and looking past his best, Cahill?s 31 and deserves a crack at the champion?s league. We could get 3or4 younger players in with the fee & cover the wages to boot.

It?s not gone unnoticed that we do play better when we?re not setting the team up to accommodate Cahill, If it means we keep Felli & Rodders.& Get get rid of the Yak & Yobo (another 100k a week in wages) on top I think that would free up the wages to really freshen things up.

People say get rid of Rodders but it?s a false economy because he?s the one type of player we wouldn?t be able to attract or afford. He?s not on crazy wages & potentially our Gerrard for years to come.

I?m a big fan of both of them as players & people but we can?t afford to carry any ageing high earners when every penny counts.
Alex Buckley, Huyton     Posted 20/04/2011 at 18:40:43

Comments

Ben Jones
1   Posted 21/04/2011 at 15:24:36

Where has this rumour come from?
Neil McKinney
2   Posted 21/04/2011 at 15:26:49

Ben - it's just popped up in the Rumour Mill.

Sam Morrison
3   Posted 21/04/2011 at 15:33:52

If this one goes through I'll eat everyone's hats.
Gareth Humphreys
4   Posted 21/04/2011 at 15:42:32

Where do we sign?
Aiden Doyle
5   Posted 21/04/2011 at 15:48:06

As ever, I?m sceptical about rumours of this nature, and this one in particular seems to good to be true. However, I completely agree with your logic Alex and, IF this offer turns out to be genuine, I?d cash in as fast as possible.
Kunal Desai
6   Posted 21/04/2011 at 16:21:44

Yawn!...next.....
Frank Key
7   Posted 21/04/2011 at 16:08:04

Even it was true I cant see the naturally cautious Moyes getting rid of two of his most trusted and important senior players at the same time. People forget that it was Cahill's goals at the start of the season that stopped us getting into real trouble at the bottom of the table.

Having said that, it is an audacious and daring deal such as this which is required if we are to see any high quality additions to the squad in the summer.....over to you Mr Moyes!
Ray Robinson
8   Posted 21/04/2011 at 16:20:33

Whatever you may think about Cahill, I doubt whether he could hack it in the Spanish League. He just isn't their type of player. I would treat this rumour with an even larger amount of scepticism than usual!
David Mathieson
9   Posted 21/04/2011 at 16:46:01

It has not gone unnoticed that during are recent mini revival Fellani has been missing. I would sell Fellani for £18 million before Cahill and Arteta; they have a good 4 years left in them and are our best players along with Baines.

I think we would be lucky to get what we paid for Fellani considering he is shit and there is no way we could replace Arteta and Cahill for £18 million, just look what Moyes done with £24 million from Lescott... Do you fancy another Heitinga, Billy and Distin?
Dean Adams
10   Posted 21/04/2011 at 17:09:38

David Mathieson
Cahill and Arteta have been missing too./>
Patrick Pulis
11   Posted 21/04/2011 at 17:18:08

David:
His name is Fellaini and he most definitely is not shit. He might not be your cup of tea but everyone realizes that Fellaini is an excellent player that many top sides would appreciate.
Phil Bellis
12   Posted 21/04/2011 at 17:23:57

£18 million - WOW!
when BK's finished, we'll certainly have enough left over for next season's police bill
Dave Roberts
13   Posted 21/04/2011 at 17:13:04

I've heard it all now! Fellaini is shit? Fellaini is the only player we have at the club who can stick a foot in, win the ball, get the fucking thing on the deck and play passes to get things moving. In other words, exactly what Reidy used to do. We will be lucky to keep Fellaini this summer and if he does move to a 'bigger' club just watch him go. He is just what Chelsea are short of (apart from a goal or two from Ladyboy!).

Our mini-revival is not due to Fellaini's absence, or anybody else's, it's due to lobbing the ball down the field basically ( parking the bus has been sussed?) with a hefty slice of luck at times and a very timely lift of form on the part of Osman and excellent play down the left by Baines.

We haven't had an effective midfield since Fellaini's absence and even Wolves were swamping us until the luck kicked in. Just look at how the ball broke to Bily in that game if you doubt the luck we are having at the moment compared to earlier in the season.

Fellaini is an excellent player and personally I worry about losing him much more than I do about anybody else at the moment.
Rob Hollis
14   Posted 21/04/2011 at 17:49:45

Fellaini IS WITHOUT DOUBT one player we have at the club who can cut it at any level and would walk into any PL team. Perhaps only Baines is of equal stature.
Mick Wrende
15   Posted 21/04/2011 at 17:58:27

I am losing my faith in Evertonians if anyone could possibly believe this rumour. It is just the sort of crap Elstone would have come out with the other night and the Evertonians with an IQ of less than 30 would have scratched their heads and thought 'now theres a good deal'!
Andy Peers
16   Posted 21/04/2011 at 17:51:20

David Mathieson, I have been guilty of dogging some of our under achieving players such as Osman, Bily, Heitinga, Anchebe, Arteta etc. but Fellaini has never even come close to that list. This year Baines is our best player and Fellaini and Distin get a favourable mention and then after that it is about even except for the under achievers listed above. Now I have changed course a little bit and must recognise the excellent attitude and recent form of Osman who I have never rated based on a string of poor performances and quality. He has been good and worthy of a first team place and admit that I was wrong about his abilities. I came clean David so please respond by withdrawing your "Fellaini is shit" comment.
Chris Bannantyne
17   Posted 21/04/2011 at 18:01:20

Fellaini is shit??? Haha what an assessment! How much did we pay for him? 15mil give or take? Fuckin bargin. Wish we had a few more players as 'shit' as fellaini!

In reponse to the OP, this rumour is an absolute
load of crap, but IF it were to be the case, I could see some sense in taking the offer, but i would certainly shed a tear or two. Especially Cahill, in this era (to me) he embodies the whole evertonian spirit and he absolutely loves this club with heart and soul! His loyalty can not be questioned and that is a rare thing to come by these days, especially from a foreign player. I know one day he will have passed his use by date, but I hope he can give us many more goals in the next few seasons.
James Stewart
18   Posted 21/04/2011 at 18:19:55

zzzzzzzzzzzz
Drew O'Neall
19   Posted 21/04/2011 at 18:20:01

Fellaini is a very good player and should be retained at all costs however he cannot play a forward pass and, in his position, vision would be a nice asset.

I'm sure this could be easily coached in to him but it's possibly in Moyes' considerable blind spot.
Paul Gladwell
20   Posted 21/04/2011 at 18:28:50

Good lord sell Fellaini for £18m!!! the lad is our best midfielder by a country mile, not a lot older than Rodwell and ten times the player he is too, he is the only player with Baines who is Champions league material and believe me he will go on to become a major player when he leaves.
Dominic Fitzpatrick
21   Posted 21/04/2011 at 18:32:52

Moyes would be reluctant enough to lose one of his most loyal players let alone two of them, and that is the reason why this rumour will have no truth to it whatsoever.

Banega on the other hand would be very welcome, however with Rodwell, and Barkley coming through the ranks I doubt Moyes would be interested unless we used Arteta more as a winger next season.

Then we would have an extra wide player, and a central midfielder in the vein of Arteta to replace him as an option in the middle.

Dean Adams
22   Posted 21/04/2011 at 18:35:17

Mick Wrende
You seem obsessed with the IQ of 30. Is it perhaps because you feel comfortable with that level of intellect? Or is it that you can manage to bully these total brainboxes!!
Please do let us know, theres a good chap.
Neil Humphreys
23   Posted 21/04/2011 at 18:35:27

Any team wishing to compete at CL level in the coming season would be bonkers to come this way. Baines and Felli have been our only highlights of a poor, poor season. We cant kid ourselves, we are 5 signings away from top 6 and we dont have harry's brown envelopes to do the deals!
Luke O'Farrell
24   Posted 21/04/2011 at 19:19:39

More chance of Kenwright selling up than this happening. . .
Joe McMahon
25   Posted 21/04/2011 at 19:47:11

Andy Peers - when you say dogging some of our under achieving players, I hope you don't mean on the local car park with Stan Collymore?

This won't happen, Cahill would find it hard in Spain.
Kevin Hudson
26   Posted 21/04/2011 at 21:35:55

Another pearler from Dave Mathieson. This guy's got form...
Nick Taylor
27   Posted 21/04/2011 at 21:31:09

At 31, Cahill has a lot of miles on the clock, both physically and geographically, so any offer of substance would have to be looked at closely. However, it can't be overstated how important he has been for Everton with most of his goals either being winners or earning us a point. So he will always be remembered fondly if he does leave.

Arteta I feel has been hankering for move back to Spain for a while now, particularly with having a young family. After factoring in his wages and injuries, any reasonable bid would have to be taken seriously.

By the way, watch the bidding war between Chelsea, Arsenal and several other big sides if Fellaini does become available; crap players would not attract that level of interest.
Ian Smitham
28   Posted 21/04/2011 at 21:44:52

Mr Mathieson, its all about opinions and in my opinion you either do not watch the game (at GP or on TV) or a wind up and the other credible contributors on here seem to favour the latter.

Often i think contributors on here try to be sensational just to have their moment. Little to realise that the fat controller (MK) allows pretty well most through, thank you.

Fella is "shit"

Have a word, sort yourself out and come back with something sensible to say.

Better still, l suggest you connect with reality which is that with the attributes outlined above we may, just may have the best Midfield player in the PL and as i have said on here a number of times, himand JR could, just could dominate the PL for 10 years to come.

Back to the thread, i agree, without being disloyal to our players, circumstances dictake, aside from LB and the above, then consider offers for the lot, we have no money and to improve we need to trade better than the clubs around us.

The trade bit was what RE said, and he also said that DM does it well.
David Hallwood
29   Posted 21/04/2011 at 22:32:53

Message for Michael: FFS, In honour of the demise of the Sunday Sport ? another pedlar of nonsense ? would you bin the Rumour Mill, it's about as accurate as a British Mars rocket landing!

You might as well report that we're in for Winston Churchill for his defensive qualities. £18 mill for a 23-year-old from a club that?s even skinter than ours!!

Colin Ryan
30   Posted 21/04/2011 at 22:25:19

Strange how 2 seasons in a row we lose Fella and we go on our best runs of the season. Not his biggest fan and some Everton fans are over hyping him. Someone mentioned best midfielder in the league? He's a liability and has swung too many elbows for my liking.

If we got £20m, or anywhere near it, I'd take it. Moyesie could find 2 or 3 gems with the money.
Marcus Kendall
31   Posted 22/04/2011 at 00:08:05

I agree, Colin: Fellaini is way overrated and a liability at times with his lack of discipline and laziness. We're much better with Neville in the defensive role simply because he's more disciplined and protects the back four better. If the offer for Fellaini was over £20 million, we'd be mad not to accept in my opinion.
Dennis Stevens
32   Posted 22/04/2011 at 02:08:25

Don't dis the Sport, David - nobody else got that snap of the double-decker bus on the moon!
Thomas Williams
33   Posted 22/04/2011 at 02:11:12

Well, I am not changing my opinion, I stated on here 18 months ago, that I thought Everton had moved ahead of Arteta, a bit like AJ, he will get you out of relegation up to 7th, need better to progress and Arteta is great if we want to stay 6th-8th, but need better to progress.

He has been a good servant, but even his admirers must admit, we've already had his good days, get £10M and re-invest in younger player.

Cahill, again fantastic servant but becoming a liability within the team framework, team is too set up just to suit him; consequently, we became to one-dimensional... look at the goals THE TEAM has scored since Cahill left Jan 1st. Get £8m and re-invest.

Eric Myles
34   Posted 22/04/2011 at 02:44:15

David M #9, while I would not say Fellaini is shit he's certainly not as good as Dave Roberts dreams about.

I could see Arteta going in the summer (and have said so before as BK seeks to get high earners off the wage bill) and Valencia were actually the team I thought most likely.

I can't see Cahill going though unless his bessie make Mikel talks him into it.
James Hollister
35   Posted 22/04/2011 at 03:03:56

The fact about Fellaini is that he only manages to play 20/21 matches a season, out of those matches he'll only play 4 or 5 great matches the rest he just puts in a shift imo just about.

I wouldn't say he was shit, but the fact of the matter is we need players who can actually last more than just half the season or just over it.

We are talking 17/18 matches a season he isn't playing. Thats a hell of a lot of matches to miss.

And I'd concur with the Cahill and Arteta situation too.

Arteta came back from a very serious injury last term, but this season I just don't think he is himself. IMO he shouldn't have played half of the matches he did, but at the end of the day common sense has to kick in. If your supposed best players aren't available for selection or are playing so poorly they shouldn't be in the team then you need others than can replace them until they sort whatever their problems are out.

Both Arteta and Cahill are pretty much injury prone, more so Cahill because he doesn't know when to stop and take a breather, again when we loose players of their abilities either through playing poorly by their standards or through injury, we have to act for the best interest of the team.

The important thing for me, is whether keeping hold of them in the knowledge they are incapable of playing a full season or whether we need to replace them entirely.

We have very little to no money, so we can't just go out and add to the squad and replace them if they are having a bad day, or, god forbid, like now they get injured and we can only replace them with kids at best.

The situation is intolerable at present, and reluctantly I'd be the first to offload all 3 of them, for the sake of the team and progression... we can't progress if all 3 sit out injured for lengthy periods. Some times you got to hold your hands up and say enough is enough and get the cash and try to do your best in replacing them.

The situation though with Moyes, is that he is cautious by nature, and I can't even see him offload any one of the three.
Mark McDonald
36   Posted 22/04/2011 at 12:40:35

All teams at some stage need to evolve and re-build. I am not saying this is going to happen with Arteta and Cahill but the day shall come sooner than later when we shall need to replace them. I would love to see Banega in a Blue shirt. He could really add some creativity to our midfield. But will it happen? No! I do not think so.
Tony J Williams
37   Posted 22/04/2011 at 12:48:11

James, are you somehow blaming Felliani for getting injured by dodgy tackling off opposing players?

The last two seasons he has missed a huge chunk of games because he needed an operation on his ankle after getting repeatedly fouled.
Ben Jones
38   Posted 22/04/2011 at 12:54:41

Fellaini is a strange one. He certainly isn't shit. But what I'm worried about is he doesn't add that defensive steel in midfield. It would be great if a proper holding midfielder would play alongside him.

We haven't had a proper good holding midfielder ever since Carsley, and the closest thing we have at the moment is Neville.

In my eyes, Rodwell and Fellaini are competing for one spot. So sell one of them if we really need the money.

By the way, I might add, I'm not saying Neville is a better player, but I don't think either Fellaini or Rodwell are holding midfielders, they need someone like Neville, who is more disciplined, to play alongside them.

As Colin said, it is not a coincidence we have had our best run without Fellaini in the side. This is because Moyes plays Fellaini in the holding midfield role. Fellaini and Arteta at the time were not a strong enough midfield.
David Mathieson
39   Posted 22/04/2011 at 12:28:57

The people who expect Fellaini to go onto to great things must be the same people who expect Moyes to win trophies, and or believe he will be the next manager of MUFC.

If Scot Parker tried and failed at Chelsea, Fellaini has no chance, at any team of that ilk. I wouldn't rate Fellaini in the top 15 midfielders in the Prem and can't see what any blues see in him, he is: injury prone, dirty, slow, no shot, no skill, no vision, a liability. Carsley was far better; probably still is.

The People who slate Cahill need help: 9 goals this season joint second top scorer; goals win games not overgrown hair.

Kev Hudson-Débile
David Crowe
40   Posted 22/04/2011 at 13:30:02

Not enough. £25 mill at least, for me.
David Crowe
41   Posted 22/04/2011 at 13:31:13

David Mathieson (9) "Felli is shit"...... wow, genuinely had to read that three times. Fucking hilarious opinion. Keep it coming.
Jon Cox
42   Posted 22/04/2011 at 13:26:25

Saying Fellaini is "shit" is like saying Ghengis Khan founded the Red Cross.
Kevin Hudson
43   Posted 22/04/2011 at 14:17:01

Pas du tout, Dave. You're getting creamed again.
Jake Wilson
44   Posted 22/04/2011 at 16:51:22

Dreaming of what might be, come May... but we started slowly again and now, at the end of the season, when we are hitting form, we are playing catch-up on the other teams. Whether we can catch Liverpool is debatable; we need them to drop a few points and for us to capitalise on their mistakes, which in recent years we have failed to do.

This transfer window is going to be an interesting one for us Evertonians because no-one will be able to guess our transfer budget. Will we have a few million so Moyes can buy a player or two? Or will he have to cash in on someone to make his own money? I think Moyes will buy at least a striker which could be either Shane Long from Reading, who would add a real work ethic to our forward line as he would run the channels and chase down every ball ? something we have lacked since AJ left... or the other potential target is Hugo Rodallega if Wigan go down; he has showed quite a lot of potential at Wigan, he runs the line well, he is quick and he has a venomous strike on him. I think if we get both of these players and maybe Matt Jarvis from Wolves we would solve our creativity problem and our striking options.

I think the players who have a serious possibility of leaving at the end of the season are; James Vaughan, Yakubu, Victor Anichebe and Jack Rodwell. The first two just don?t look to be able to hold down a place in the side, the reasons for this are unclear but they seem certainties to be leaving Goodison.

Now at Everton, we have a lot of faith and we are patient... but time has run out for Victor Anichebe; he has a great game one week and then we won?t see another performance like that from him in months. I think he signed a new contract so we could get money for him instead of letting him go on a free at the end of his contract.

Jack Rodwell is a 50/50 to stay at Everton in my opinion. I think he will be cashed in if we need to build up funds to buy players.

Jeff Armstrong
45   Posted 22/04/2011 at 20:49:54

Got to ask, can anyone say, hand on heart, that we have Missed Fellaini over the last couple of months?

I,ve not,
and I like him as a player, but the point is he is not indispensible,
the job he does can be done by lot's of other players, Osman, Neville, etc, if he can generate 15-20 mill for other positions then so be it.

Same goes for Rodwell, and Bily,
Sacrifise these 3 players for 30 mill and we could seriously challenge next season if we bring in the likes of Jarvis, Mcready,and Grant Holt etc
Don Kiddick
46   Posted 23/04/2011 at 00:45:58

I personally like Fellaini but I think, if an offer comes in for him of around £25 million, we should take it. We pay him a huge wage at the moment but the biggest thing we will save money on is the shampoo ... let's from now on sign players with no hair... Fellaini & Jô, have brought us to this spot we are in now money-wise.
Marcus Kendall
47   Posted 23/04/2011 at 01:40:54

I hope we don't bring in Rodallega as I don't see what the fuss is about.

I think it'll be another summer of limited transfer activities with a few youngsters brought in to bolster numbers. And hopefully Barkley will be fully recovered for the start of the new season as I'm interested to see how special this kid is...
Marcus Kendall
48   Posted 23/04/2011 at 01:43:41

Oh and I saw Parker's name mentioned somewhere on this thread, am I the only one who thinks he's a media hype job and fairly average in truth? Player of the Season candidate and he plays for a club in the relegation zone, crazy!
Peter Askins
49   Posted 23/04/2011 at 20:12:07

I was at the game today, sat amongst the United fans, and they were howling at the inabilities of their midfield two, Anderson and Gibson. Our midfield looked neat and tidy at times, but today was tailor-made for Rodwell to shine, to dominate, and surge forward, spraying passes and peppering shots. He didn't. Apart from one very good shot late on, he was the king of the square ball, passing the buck, giving somebody else the responsibility of providing the miracle ball.

Our whole midfield gave ground, and nobody seemed to pick up Rooney for the entire match, who had the run of "the hole". Luckily for us, Rooney (and United in general) were poor, which makes our negative approach all the more frustrating.

Scott Parker? From what I've seen, he's exceptional, and the type of player that we don't have ? a real leader on the pitch, a tough-tackler, covers every blade of grass, and happy to surge forward. Oh, and actually prepared to shoot from distance. Put him in our team, and we'd be very close, in my opinion.