Whose bright idea was this?

Having lived in Norway for nearly 30 years now and finding out how passionate the Everton supporters here are about the club, I can imagine there were a few that were really pissed off to find out that the club had for sale a t-shirt mocking the supporters here. Picture here: http://www.evertonfc.no/Webdesk/netblast/pages/index.html?id=1200723

I mean, what a kick in the nuts this was from the club we follow through thick and thin...

The fan club has now stopped sales and sent an official apology to ESCNB (Everton Supporters Club Norwegian Branch). I hope none of you bought one! I expect the "Norwegian Blues" would love to meet the person responsible for putting it out on sale.

Tony Cheek, Haugesund, Norway     Posted 22/04/2011 at 08:04:19

Comments

Tony J Williams
1   Posted 22/04/2011 at 13:47:25

Not being from Norway, I think it is very funny. I can understand your frustration but it's a well known and old joke that the redshite fans are mostly from Norway.

Hence the old, "Anfield was half empty today, as the airports were closed" kind of jokes.

People in the UK would have no problem with the shirts but that doesn't make it right.
Kevin Hudson
2   Posted 22/04/2011 at 14:04:40

I would think that enlightened Norwegian Evertonians would wear it with pride, in order to demonstrate to their compatriots that they don't follow the herd supporting Liverpool; That they're more discriminating than that..

I'm also sure they understand humour.
Mick Wrende
3   Posted 22/04/2011 at 14:25:14

Tony Cheek ? these 2 comments above are certainly not typical of those of most decent Evertonians and I cannot believe thier sentiment. I have certainly never heard any old joke about redshite fans being from Norway and no Evertonian could wear that T-shirt with pride. We are all entitled to our opinion but shame on them for thinking like that.

As far as the club is concerned, let me reassure you that, great as the team are, the club officials treat the fans just as badly over here ? you can't imagine anyone in their right mind would produce a T-shirt like that and consider it funny. What is amazing is the club has apologised... because they never say sorry to the fans in England.

Chris Bannantyne
4   Posted 22/04/2011 at 14:29:46

Haha, wish they didn't remove that from sale, I would have liked one.
Tony Cheek
5   Posted 22/04/2011 at 14:33:17

Kevin... I dont think "understanding humour" is anything to do with it. This is the ultimate insult. No, enlightened Norwegian Evertonians would not wear it with pride. It's a disgrace!
Tony Cheek
6   Posted 22/04/2011 at 14:39:03

Chris (#4)... Don´t know where you live, but would it have been as funny with your town's name under the red player?
Ian Tunstead
7   Posted 22/04/2011 at 15:11:55

Tony

He's probably from Liverpool so his city's team does play in a red kit. I'm sorry but it is a common taunt in Liverpool towards Liverpool fans that their fans are glory seekers that are mostly from Ireland or Scandinavia and that the real scousers are Evertonians. It's just a joke; please don't take it too seriously.
Dave Smith
8   Posted 22/04/2011 at 15:14:03

I wouldn't take offence. It was clearly a mix up between Everton and Kitbag.

As funny as it is, it is more inappropiate than anything else. The t-shirt should never have seen the light of day, and the club where correct to recall it and issue an apology.

Problem solved. Time to move on.
Kevin Hudson
9   Posted 22/04/2011 at 16:01:22

To say it's a disgrace & ultimate insult is a tad Puritanical, Tony.

Maybe I should explain my humour & interpretation again. The furthest thing from my mind is to condone something offensive to Norwegians. (Although Gazza's famous remark did tickle my 12-year-old brain ? at the time!!)

I look at it from a completely different angle:

If I was a Norwegian, I would wear that t-shirt. For me, it would be obviously ironic, and I would want people to know that I'm from the Everton family, as well as making a humourous statement on my sheep-like compatriot Glory Hunters.

It would suggest that I'm more nuanced than them. That I've genuinely fallen in love with a club, that isn't part of the fashionable set, and that therefore, there's more DEPTH to my Evertonian-ness.

In a humourous, self-effacing way...

For instance: I would happily wear a top bearing the legend: Scouser (above a Blue kit), and Kopite (above a Red one).

To indicate that those who support Everton are a better class of people than Liverpudlians. Again ? just for fun.

Mick Wrende, you say you've NEVER heard "any old joke about redshite fans being from Norway?" Really?

And yet you claim to know what "typical Everton fans," are like.

I don't believe you.
John Talbot
10   Posted 22/04/2011 at 16:27:59

I want one !!!
Bertie Alloff
11   Posted 22/04/2011 at 16:46:29

The words "mountain" and "mole-hill" come to mind......I honestly thought it was going to be something seriously offensive to Norwegian people, get a sense of humour, Tony. I even suspect the original poster might be a red having a go!!
Tony J Williams
12   Posted 22/04/2011 at 16:55:49

So you are suggesting I am less than decent Mick because I find a t-shirt funny. Get over yourself lad.

You must have led a sheltered life if you have never heard anyone taking the piss out of the redshite saying their fans are from Norway/Sweden etc

You show that to someone at the match and I guarantee you that 90% will think it is funny and a high percentage would probably ask where they can get one from.
Phil Bellis
13   Posted 22/04/2011 at 16:54:10

Mick @3...you are joking, I presume
If not, nip into town before any Liverpool home game and have a look around Williamson Square - full of Scandeswegians (as we used to call them)
It's been a very long-standing joke about Liverpool fans being from Norway ("Oh you'll never see a Scouser on the Kop" etc)
I was in a pub in Essex and got skitted by a couple of locals wearing Liverpool tops who saw I was a Blue. My reply was simply that they were a credit to the Norwegain educational system - their English was very good! Shut the buggars up
Paul Olsen
14   Posted 22/04/2011 at 17:10:43

Well as a Norwegian Evertonian i will speak my mind.

I like it.
Chris Bannantyne
15   Posted 22/04/2011 at 17:12:10

Tony, no it would not be as funny because no one would get it.

The joke is that Liverpool supporters are just a bunch of Norwegians - I'm Australian.

However if the joke was that Liverpool supporters are all Australian, I would still find it funny and still wear the shirt.

Shit, some people need to just get over themselves. Wouldn't mind a tshirt that says 'LOUIS SAHA IS FRENCH' either...
Tony Cheek
16   Posted 22/04/2011 at 17:50:09

To tell the truth did not really expect much sympathy on this one, maybe I`ve been here too long. Think i´ve got a good sense of humour, but will not be buying the T-shirt.
Barry Thompson
17   Posted 22/04/2011 at 18:16:48

Looks like your going to have to turn the other cheek on this one Tony.
Ian Tunstead
18   Posted 22/04/2011 at 19:08:55

Hahaha Barry, you've just had me in stitches with that one!
Karl Meighan
19   Posted 22/04/2011 at 19:02:12

Maybe it should have just said Scandanavians, just joking.

The tshirts will probably be collectors items now they have been recalled.

The recalling and attention its getting will cause more harm as its a nap someone else will start printing to make a few bob.

But serious nearly all RS fans are from Norway and Dublin and i dont suppose it was meant as a insult to anyone other than RS supporters.
Ray Roche
20   Posted 22/04/2011 at 19:22:43

Mick Wrende

If you have seen the film " Reds And Blues,The Ballad Of Dixie And Kenny" there is a running joke about reds being Norwegian and blues being Welsh.It's funny. It's a joke. I cannot believe you have never heard such comments.
Mick Wrende
21   Posted 22/04/2011 at 20:18:32

Oh well I have been going on for a while how thick some Evertonians are respecially with regards to Kenwright and Elstone. This thread confirms it. For the only time I can remember the club has issued an official apology yet fans on here still think its funny. Dear me.
Steven Flynn
22   Posted 22/04/2011 at 20:25:17

Mick Wrende - Look nearer than you think for your 'thick everton fan'
Tony J Williams
23   Posted 22/04/2011 at 20:25:59

Sorry Mick, you are coming across as the think one here. Humour is subjective, I find it funny, the same way I find Lee Evans funny, my fiancee hates him.

People aren't "thick" because their sense of humour is different to yours. Your view that they are thick is actually more conducive to posters thinking you are the thicko.
Steven Flynn
24   Posted 22/04/2011 at 20:25:17

Mick Wrende - Look nearer than you think for your 'thick everton fan'
John Shaw
25   Posted 22/04/2011 at 20:35:49

Oh for fucks sake, whatever happened to having a sense of humour? Is this what people and life has now become? Anyone who says they have never heard of the redshite being referred to as Norwegians or Scandinavians must have been living in a fucking bubble ! Never heard the song sung by the blue hoards on derby day either i guess that goes ' fuck off to Norway, the city's all ours ' ? ! Get a life and while there a sense of humour, for fucks sake !
Dennis Stevens
26   Posted 22/04/2011 at 21:18:15

I'm surprised the club were selling these, it's more like the sort of product you'd expect to get from an Evertonian website or fanzine. Probably not very appropriate as an official product, but there does seem to be a bit of an over-reaction.
Paul O'Hanlon
27   Posted 22/04/2011 at 21:26:06

My mate at the match has one, it's hilarious and a great idea IMO. That's my opinion, you have yours. I'm just gutted they stopped selling them
Eugene Ruane
28   Posted 22/04/2011 at 21:23:40

I've been working in Gothenburg for a couple of weeks and have been surprised how few EPL shirts I've seen.

I saw one little kid in a Chelsea shirt and a feller with a Utd trackie top - that's it, everyone else it seems supports IFK or Gais.

And as (it appears) I'll be here a few months and Gais are the Everton of Gothenburg, that's who I'll be going to see.

Went last Monday in fact (V Djurgardens) - only 5,000 or so there but they were well into it, including two young lads from work who were quizzing me all night about about 'hooligans' ("does Everton have very many hooligans?" "Er...yeah, thousands mate and they're fucking nails")

Anyway, 'WE' won 2-1 and 'WE'RE' currently top of the league!

COME ON YOU GREEN AND BLACKS!
Dennis Stevens
29   Posted 22/04/2011 at 21:43:35

Did you regale your mates with tales of the Everton "Charming Men", Eugene?
Brian Lawlor
30   Posted 22/04/2011 at 21:57:51

Mick Wrende - " I have certainly never heard any old joke about redshite fans being from Norway and no Evertonian could wear that T-shirt with pride. "

With a comment like that I'm guessing that not only are you not a Scouser, you're probably don't even live in the UK. Is Wrende a Norwegian name?

The best flag I've seen ar European away games is "Stop global warming, stop kopites flying to home games"
Brian Donnelly
31   Posted 22/04/2011 at 23:33:14

Mick Wrende

How can you use statements such as ?no Evertonian could wear that T-shirt with pride? ? you are hardly an expert on Evertonians judging by the fact that you have never heard any jokes about Norwegian reds, so what gives you the right to make such a general sweeping statement.

Finally, get a sense of humour!
Tony McNulty
32   Posted 22/04/2011 at 23:53:47

How many Norwegian Blues are there (and, for older readers, I'm not talking Monty Python)?

And of these Norwegian Blues how many are offended? Ten, one hundred, a thousand, a hundred thousand? I think the population is only 4 million isn't it?
Andrew Presly
33   Posted 23/04/2011 at 00:38:24

After retiring from football in 2001, Limpar opened a bar, The Limp Bar, in central Stockholm, although it has since closed. Whilst the bar's closure was initially shrouded in mystery, it has since emerged that it was probably a decision taken on health and safety grounds, due to an incident that occurred in late November 2000. Rumour has it that an over-zealous punter drunkenly slipped and suffered a broken leg, in the process of congratulating Limpar on the afore-mentioned 50-yard reverse ball which lit up the '95 cup final so memorably.

RIP the Limp Bar. I like the Gueye Bar now.
Jamie Crowley
34   Posted 23/04/2011 at 02:31:29

Can I just say I get such a kick out of this.
My 7v7 team (named Grand Ol Team) has myself and a native Liverpudlian as Blues. We have a really great guy whom we count as a good friend originally from Norway on the team.

Guess what club he supports?

Yep, the RS.

Seems the stereotype grew legs and made the trip across the pond....
Tony Cheek
35   Posted 23/04/2011 at 06:57:32

Tom..#32...all six of us!!
Tony Cheek
36   Posted 23/04/2011 at 07:01:40

I meant Tony..#32...got my glasses on now!
Tony McNulty
37   Posted 23/04/2011 at 07:45:10

Tony (35 and 36). I just wanted to be sure we had a reliable source for the data. Someone who would get the information right. Glad to have you on board.

PS Suggested solution for offending shirt. Take your glasses off.
Derek Thomas
38   Posted 23/04/2011 at 08:07:53

Want one
Peter Fearon
39   Posted 23/04/2011 at 15:23:07

I can see why some very sensitive fans from Norway might be offended but let's imagine a tee-shirt that lampooned the number of Liverpool fans from London. Would an Evertonian who lives in London have the right to be offended? Probably not. Let's not go too PC over this. It's a joke. The ones who are supposed to be offended are the handful of Liverpool fans from Liverpool. That's fine with me.
Jalil Noor
40   Posted 23/04/2011 at 15:21:47

Wonder if I still could get an RS top with Torres name and number!

Wouldn't mind buying a few for my future in laws... them being red and all.
Ray Roche
41   Posted 23/04/2011 at 15:45:20

Mick Wrende
That'll be you, then.
Peter Askins
42   Posted 23/04/2011 at 19:45:16

On a similar theme, the highlight from my trip to Old Trafford today came before the match, as we were taking in the sunshine outside the ground.

No sooner had I pointed out to my girlfriend that the United fans seemed very "cosmopolitan", coming from all over the world to a "home" match, than a brash American burst through the crowd, and asked "Does anybody know the local area, as I need to buy cigarettes?" Of course, everybody shrugged, mumbling in weird and wonderful accents that in fact none of them were local!! The Yank shuffled off, confused!!
Alex Kociuba
43   Posted 23/04/2011 at 20:09:45

Peter Fearon, nail on the head... "The ones who are supposed to be offended are the handful of Liverpool fans from Liverpool."