Our 'Magical Era'

We have had some truly magical era's in the history of the club (mid-80s, Holy Trinity, Dean era, etc) but I bet you didn't realise we had one 3 years ago...

"I want the Everton fans to go easy on Joleon. He played for the club in a magical era and helped us to an FA Cup Final. He left in bad circumstances, but he is a good defender." ? Courtesy of Mr Phil Neville, the born winner, true professional, excellent leader of men and all round top bloke.

This man obviously doesn't understand what Everton Football Club is about and what the fans deem success. I don't care if he played for the mancs and won a billion trophies, he's won fuck all at Everton and he seems quite content with that fact. Phil, I suggest you read up on your history mate and then you will see what a "magical era" for this club really is.
I
Michael Lynch, Portsmouth     Posted 04/05/2011 at 14:46:23

Comments

Ste Traverse
1   Posted 04/05/2011 at 16:13:33

Spot on. It's yet sanother embarasssing soundbite from our Phil.

It shows this clown hasn't the first clue about this club's history if he thinks 3 years ago was a 'magical era'.
Andy Crooks
2   Posted 04/05/2011 at 16:33:00

Sadly, Ste, for younger supporters, three years ago was a magical era. I assume you are old enough to know different but it really is a sad indictment of where we are now.
Tony J Williams
3   Posted 04/05/2011 at 16:51:58

The semi final WAS magical, the final was a disappointing druken blur.

Anyone born after 95 may have thought the era was magical, I certainly don't, seeing as I was born in the early 70s...
Ste Traverse
4   Posted 04/05/2011 at 17:10:56

Andy. I was born in 76 and was took to my first game during the 83-84 season (Notts County Home: 4-1) and my first experiences of football were the great Everton side from that 'magical' era. So it's annonying hearing Neville come out with that rubbish. It's not like we won anything.
Denis Byrne
5   Posted 04/05/2011 at 18:57:44

Yeh, a bit dopey, you'd think... but, as Ste (#2) points out, it gave something special to the kids ? my two (aged 18 and 12 now) recall the semi as the best day in their short lives, and Saha's goal in the final, as the best moments in their short lives... and it gives them something to share when I am babbling on about the Golden Vision, and the 69-70 and 80s teams.
Ian McDowell
6   Posted 04/05/2011 at 19:19:52

The problem is for the majority of young fans Neville is correct and by the look of it things aint going to get better anytime soon.
Andrew James
7   Posted 04/05/2011 at 20:54:26

There were little sparks of magic like beating Kharkiv, thrashing Sunderland, the Gosling goal and the FA Cup run (I am assuming Neville was alluding to the 2007-09 seasons?) But the tepid displays against Chelsea in the League Cup semi-final, the FA Cup Final and the exit against Fiorentina were not good enough.

Magical? Not enough to fill a wand sadly.

That word should only sum up when you've had some great nights winning trophies.
Peter Fearon
8   Posted 04/05/2011 at 21:12:54

I'm looking forward to seeing Neville against Chelsea in the final match of the season. As Man Utd may need us to beat them, it will not doubt be his one world-class performance of the season.
Ciarán McGlone
9   Posted 04/05/2011 at 22:18:52

Ha ha. Neville, you gombeen. Three years ago was the magical equivalent of Paul Daniels. Hilarious garbarge from Mother Goose.
Jamie Sweet
10   Posted 05/05/2011 at 01:32:03

Sadly, under Kenwright the "era" in question is probably as magical as it is going to get.

I can just see me in the future, telling the children I don't yet have, about the good old days when we were actually in the Premiere League and regularly played the big teams like Man Utd and Man City... "Wow, really Dad. Tell us again that story about when you went to Old Trafford and only lost 1-0".

Magical my arse.
Jay Harris
11   Posted 05/05/2011 at 04:16:00

It's strange you should post this, Michael.

I was siiting there tonight watching Utd get to Wembley AGAIN thinking that used to be us in the 80s (well... not CL but Wembley cup finals).

Our best chance for the future would seem to be the Championship playoffs unless Kenwright goes anytime soon.
Paul Foster
12   Posted 05/05/2011 at 11:57:40

Don't be ridiculous. He's a footballer, not a politician. Dissecting his words in this way is disingenuous.

Just imagine, for a moment, that somebody interviewed you 7 or 8 times a week about your job, Everton, the world of celebrity or whatever. I wonder how long you'd last without saying something that'd piss somebody off.
Mike Allison
13   Posted 05/05/2011 at 12:48:06

Seize on a media banality and expand it to make the case that everyone at the club is shit.

Again.

You must have better things to do, I don't even know what Phil Neville says on a regular basis until someone moans about it on here.

Ignore pointless media soundbites people!
John Crossley
14   Posted 05/05/2011 at 17:31:56

I have a lot of respect for Neville, but for fuck's sake, what the hell is this 'magical era'?

If the fans want to boo Lescott, so be it. Neville is a Manc ? he should know the passion of supporters.

Steve Guy
15   Posted 06/05/2011 at 09:25:13

For once, I think Dave Prentice in the Echo has said it all...
Liam Reilly
16   Posted 06/05/2011 at 12:03:49

Paul #12, Mike #13

Ican't go along with that. He's paid extremely well as a footballer and Captain and part of his role is to manage the media.

That kind of statement is pure shite and belittles Everton Football Club. To me, that just shows that our Captain has accepted that we are a second rate side... Bad times.

John Nelson
17   Posted 06/05/2011 at 12:30:26

Well said by the author and well said Liam.

Don't know what Phil Neville is trying to achieve by stating something like this but he is oh so fucking wrong.

Tell you what Phil, you were sound when you were quiet, please don't start talking shit again with how we'll "bounce back" or one of your "rallying cries".

Also, if we want to boo the Elephant Man, we'll fucking boo the Elephant Man ? he dropped us right in the shit and deserted us for them shower of twats, so he deserves what he gets.
Kevin Dillon
18   Posted 06/05/2011 at 13:05:59

John #17

I was as dissapointed as anyone over the way in which Lescott left the club. However..... bang out of order to refer to the results of his childhood accident in that way. Crass, shameful.

Paul Gladwell
19   Posted 06/05/2011 at 15:54:39

Been a big supporter of Neville on this site but made up Prentice has had a big dig at him for telling us not to boo Lescott.
I wouldn't put it past him to show some reaction to any booing that gets done to Lescott.
All this praise from his Utd loving manager has got him believing his own importance, keep your trap shut on things like that Phil, it could well end up with more of us getting on your case.
James Brand
20   Posted 06/05/2011 at 22:10:02

Guys

I'm 28 yrs old

I'm so jealous of you all...

My highlights of being an Everton Fan are:

1. Tony Cottee
2. Kancehlskis
3. Big Dunc against the Reds
4. THAT goal from Barry Horne (though I've never sung the song...met him a few times and had to apologise in person as I would have preferred Cantona)
4. A ridiculously long barren spell that included pitch invasion on last game against Coventry and that goal from Williamson.
5. Wayne Rooney's goal against Arsenal ending their unbeaten spell.
6. Champions League against Villareal
7. Wembley

I respect all you guys who are as old as my Dad but please, before condemning people like me as "idiots" just remember that I grew up supporting Everton as rubbish! You lot went to Rotterdam...