Return of the Black Watch? or Keeping Us in the Dark?

I noticed the OS page this am and presumed the silhouettes were to keep the designs out of the public eye until launch day...

Strangely enough, talking to some fans at the zip-slidey event on Monday, many expressed a wish to commemorate our roots at the next big anniversary with a Black Watch strip, complete with the ruby sash to honour the "Midnight Dribblers".

Sadly, the unanimous opinion was that such innovative and informed thinking is beyond the current "custodians"

Still...I could be wrong again, as I usually am. By the way, Goodison looked magnificent; what a unique ground ? we won't know what we had `til it's gone...

Phil Bellis, L8     Posted 04/05/2011 at 15:05:35

Comments

Jamie Morgan
1   Posted 04/05/2011 at 15:44:06

Sadly, it is not a black strip, it's just to keep us in the dark officially until tomorrow.

Wish it was black but unfortunately the new away strip is a dark yellow (not quite amber) thing. The best way to describe it is the same colour as your piss first thing in a morning!

Dennis Stevens
2   Posted 04/05/2011 at 16:01:56

If the powers that be were that switched on, Phil, then this season's pink kit would have been salmon pink to commemorate the 120th anniversary of our first League Championship Title in 1891.
Phil Bellis
3   Posted 04/05/2011 at 16:09:46

Agree, Dennis... Always surprises me (though by now it shouldn't) how many Blues know so much about all about the early years and the likes of Jack Sharp and Harry Makepeace.

I reckon we were taught it by dads, uncles etc. I think I'll email the club, anyway and get them thinking about 2013... you never know.

A bit of a swerve but I got into a "discussion" with a kopite on Sunday night and thought I'd shut him up with the standard questions:
1) spell Anfield ? managed that;
2) Who was the manager before Shankly? ? Gave him a clue miming throwing darts... after a bit of grimacing and `umming came the reply, "Jockie Wilson"...
3) who was John Houlding?
He gets the WebPhone out muttering "before my time, not fair".

My lad could recite the 1933 Cup Winning Team at 4 years old. Classless and clueless, the lot of them.

Brian Hill
4   Posted 04/05/2011 at 16:37:33

Pilh,

My wokr is alos ugretn adn ivle, tbu I areeg, Kpoties rea gboshtise

BYCO!!
Phil Bellis
5   Posted 04/05/2011 at 17:08:27

Cheerd Brisn (llo)
Larry Boner
6   Posted 04/05/2011 at 17:13:13

Phil, we were in a pub a few years ago, World Cup time, just came off the golf course with a couple of Reds... Me and my mate, both Blues, asked the Reds, Who are your top 5 keepers you have seen?

My list, I went first, in no order: Sepp Maier, Gordon West, Gordon Banks, Ray Clemence, Dino Zoff ? with Gilmar, Southall, Yashin etc also thrown in.

Both of them said "Who is Sepp Maier"?

I absolutely ripped them, gave them chapter and verse on Mr Maier, couldn't believe their lack of awareness of anything not red. One of these so-called supporters of the world's greatest club couldn't even name five goalkeepers unless he named three ex-Reds!!!

Needless to say, we quickly drank up and made our excuses and left; an easy victory carries no satisfaction.

Karl Masters
7   Posted 04/05/2011 at 18:31:41

The new away kit is 'Tramps' Piss' yellow, as somebody put it a few weeks back, with black shorts, black socks and black trimmings so not quite so appealing as all black.

Sadly, it looks like we will be ditching the Vanilla 3rd kit from this season, which is a classic. And Eugene's favourite, the Hot Pink and Navy affair will also be consigned to the history books.

Next season's home kit looks OK though.

John Audsley
8   Posted 04/05/2011 at 20:35:51

Funny that, Phil.

I'm teaching my 5-year-old the '87 Championship winning team. He keeps getting Stevens and Steven mixed up but a good slap sorts that out.

Also, whenever he see's the Redshite Tops round here he shouts "YOU SMELL OF POO AND WEE" for that he gets a new toy and loadsa sweets.

I wanted him to shout "KING KENNY'S KUNTS" but the missus wouldn't have it; maybe when he's 6 she says.
Jamie Sweet
9   Posted 04/05/2011 at 22:24:52

Some inspirational parenting tips there John, thank you!
Ian Campbell
10   Posted 05/05/2011 at 02:17:25

All of these new kits are a fucking joke... when I was growing up you'd buy a blue shirt one year and the yellow or white away the following year and you'd get plenty of wear off both of them as they both lasted 2 years (by which time you'd outgrow them anyway).

Now they change 3 shirts a year, the 3rd was almost 2011 by the time they released it and now the shirts aren't even good for a year as they will be wearing a 'new 2011-12' one for the West Brom game.

What a bunch of wankers that run/ruin this great club!
Chris Bannantyne
11   Posted 05/05/2011 at 05:07:20

The vanilla one only got two or three runs. What a shame, it is a great looking strip. Don't see why it can't stay as a third option for a few years.

I don't necessarily mind the home/away strips changing each season, as personally I like buying them and adding to the collection, but I can see how it frustrates some, especially those with kids and that to buy for.

I personally quite liked the pink away kit this season (not as much as the black/pink one from the previous season mind) but now I hate it. I think it's because we've played like shit every time we've worn this pink one, so it is now on my shitlist.

Bring on "tramp's piss" yellow I say!
Andrew Fair
12   Posted 05/05/2011 at 08:28:54

Yellow and shit
Tony J Williams
13   Posted 05/05/2011 at 08:57:00

Not too bad as a full kit but I won't be buying the top by itself though. I think I will get the shorts for my jollies.
Alex Buckley
14   Posted 05/05/2011 at 09:25:40

It's amazing to me that someone gets paid to come up with these kits... Pink... now Piss Yellow! WTF?!?!

We need the cash & decent merchandise is a key source of income, how they get away with it year after year is beyond me.
Eugene Ruane
15   Posted 05/05/2011 at 09:16:44

The pink kit, from a 'look'/fashion point of view was, I suppose, subjective (just!).

I did see one or two wearing it but definitely not three.

My (subjective) opinion was that it looked like it had been designed by a blind, insane ape.

In fact, if I was a kopite away-shirt designer and given the brief 'design the new Everton away shirt', that pink monstrosity is probably what I'd have come up with.

However, the REAL crime was from a commercial perspective.

That our (laughs for 10 minutes) 'commercial department' didn't/couldn't figure that football supporters generally are traditionalists and all they really needed to do was knock out a half-decent amber (nb: NOT "tramp's piss" yellow) shirt, and ALL those who buy replica shirts would have bought one.

As for me, well no matter what the shirts look like, I think I'm a little too old to be dressing up like a footballer (ie: so you now know I'm older than 16).
Will Leaf
16   Posted 05/05/2011 at 10:01:44

Comparing the above link:

Wolves just rang, they want their strip back... I say they return Rodwell first!
Jalil Noor
17   Posted 05/05/2011 at 11:43:04

It is indeed piss yellow.... the keeper's kit is black though until you look closely and it's actually black camo design... WTF?

Gavin Ramejkis
18   Posted 05/05/2011 at 12:07:28

They better hope Wolves get relegated or we'll need a third strip as this piss yellow effort is the same colour as their home kit.
Kevin Jones
19   Posted 05/05/2011 at 12:30:46

I've got a good idea for the Wolves game, Gavin: we'll wear the Blue one.
Mike Allison
20   Posted 05/05/2011 at 12:44:01

I like it. Again.

And I've been happy wearing the pink one, to play football in, not around, although I did see a bloke in Leamington town centre wearing it, so fair play to him.
Tony J Williams
21   Posted 05/05/2011 at 13:22:00

Dang! And I would have gotten away for it if it hadn't have been for that pesky Kevin.
Tony J Williams
22   Posted 05/05/2011 at 13:22:59

The pink one has been mostly worn by the kids or women.

It would be interesting to know how many adult units were actually sold.
Chris Fisher
23   Posted 05/05/2011 at 13:46:21

In what way is this kit piss yellow? Its just amber, if anyone on here's piss is amber go to the doctors or start drinking a lot more water!!
Andrew Fair
24   Posted 05/05/2011 at 16:01:45

On second viewing, I like the new kit... especially in long sleeve version. What is the GK kit about though? Poor Tim Howard ? that's a disgrace.
Tom Fearon
25   Posted 05/05/2011 at 18:50:32

The camo-black kit should be for the outfield players. That way, Rodwell, Bily, Arteta and Co would have an excuse for constantly going missing in games.
Peter Laing
26   Posted 05/05/2011 at 21:13:50

Tony, I thought women are adults? Or is that just the male of the species???