How much for a Yak?

I imagine that David Moyes & Bill Kenwright have had this discussion recently.

Our last couple of games have highlighted the fact that we need to invest in a striker this summer. I presume that what we get will depend to a large part on what we generate from sales... so how much is Yakubu worth?

Proven Premier League goalscorers (?) will be in demand this summer as new clubs join the Premier League and existing clubs struggle to attract the cream of Europe to places like Stoke, Blackpool & Norwich.

So... is Yak still worth half a Bent, or a third of a Carroll?

Dave Reynier, West Yorks     Posted 05/05/2011 at 12:04:37

Comments

Chris Fisher
1   Posted 05/05/2011 at 15:28:50

£5 MIllion I'd say would be a fair price.
Paddy Francis
2   Posted 05/05/2011 at 15:37:24

Given that he's now in his late 30s, £2 million is probably a fair price. He's like a car which has had the miles clock wound back. Don't trust it.
Stephen Kenny
3   Posted 05/05/2011 at 15:40:22

Paddy,

The Idiot of the week award is yours, enjoy!
Lee Courtliff
4   Posted 05/05/2011 at 15:44:52

If we got £5 million for him then I think we should consider it good business.

Bearing in mind his age and the serious injury he sustained. Shame, because I always rated him.
Chris Keightley
5   Posted 05/05/2011 at 15:49:45

No chance of £5 million!! Come on, get real ? £2.75 million is about the max we could expect ? I'd take a straight swap for Andy King.
Tony J Williams
6   Posted 05/05/2011 at 16:00:18

Stephen, nothing idiotic about what Paddy has said at all. If that fecker is 28 then Kelly Brook's baby is mine.

There is no way in this world that man is over 10 years younger than me.
Tony J Williams
7   Posted 05/05/2011 at 16:02:17

I reckon we will settle on £4m for him, more coming on performances. He still has a 1-in-2 record for them, even though he was dropped.
Stephen Kenny
8   Posted 05/05/2011 at 16:12:31

10 goals in 19 games tells me he's a bit younger than that, Tony.
Brian Williams
9   Posted 05/05/2011 at 16:24:38

Stephen, your argument is totally flawed. As is your attitude towards a fellow Blue expressing a view which many of us (David Moyes included) suspects to be true.

As Jim Royle would say ...."28 my aaaaarse!"

My Middlesborough supporting mate warned me when we first signed Yakubu that we'd get one, maybe two, seasons out of him before he lost interest (should have been weight he lost). I know he's had a bad injury etc etc... but we lost "The Yak" a good while ago... when he was MAYBE still in his 20s!
Tony J Williams
10   Posted 05/05/2011 at 16:41:07

"10 goals in 19 games tells me he's a bit younger than that, Tony."

Teddy Sherringham was in his 40s, as was Les Ferdinand, and they were still plying their trade in the Premiership, not the Championship, so, just because his record is good in a lesser league, it doesn't mean he is not older than what he says he is.
Brian Williams
11   Posted 05/05/2011 at 16:54:48

By the way... what are you calling 'the baby', Tony?
David Holroyd
12   Posted 05/05/2011 at 16:55:19

We wont get more than £3mill for him; other managers must know he plays for about 18 months... maybe 2 years, before he starts to look for a move.
Tony J Williams
13   Posted 05/05/2011 at 17:02:01

Brian, I was thinking of calling her Vauxhall, it's a more down to earth version of Mercedes.
Ian McDowell
14   Posted 05/05/2011 at 17:02:17

£500k down payment; £500k if Leicester win the Premier League, £1 million if Leicester win the Champions League... and free Walkers Crisps for life for BK.

Seriously I can't see us getting more than £3 million.
Tony McNulty
15   Posted 05/05/2011 at 17:34:58

If the Yak is under 30, then ? as Groucho Marx once put it ? Joan of Arc is second base for the Cleveland Indians.

At Man City prices, in their unparalleled universe, he is worth about £20 million. Down here on planet earth, we would be lucky to get £2 million.

Any prospective purchaser with half a brain would know that, if the Yak were still any good, a team in desperate need of a striker would want to keep him. Where are West Ham when you need them?
Kunal Desai
16   Posted 05/05/2011 at 17:34:24

A year's supply of pukka pies should do it, a 'sweetener' to entice the Yak, perhaps half he can give to Billy to keep the canteen going.
Brian Waring
17   Posted 05/05/2011 at 17:50:16

Not being funny, but can anyone see us getting even half-decent money for him? Other clubs are going to look at him, and think, "Fuck that, he can't be much cop when a skint club like Everton, who have no decent strikers available, loan him out."
Steve Guy
18   Posted 05/05/2011 at 18:31:33

Am I the only one a bit peed off by Yakubu's claim that he has no future at Everton? I think he is right by the way, but why?

The implication is that he has been told by Everton that he is no longer wanted. Rubbish. More likely is the fact that he has found his level after stinking the place out at Goodison for 6 months following an equally dismal World Cup.

If you haven't got a future at Everton, Yak, you have no-one to blame but your overweight and under-achieving self.

Whilst I'm on one, is he out of contract this Summer? I don't think so; in which case Everton should fine him for his "come and get me" comments.

Robin Byrne
19   Posted 05/05/2011 at 18:27:17

Unfortunately I really can't see us getting anywhere near £4m, unless it's £2m upfront with the rest paid based on performance targets (number of games played, goals scored, promotion for Leicester, etc etc).

The figure being bandied about in the media is £2m which, if memory serves, is less than half the first West Ham offer last year, and possibly only double what we might get for James Vaughan ? does that reflect the Yak's dramatic drop in form, or further confirmation that Moyes got his striker transfer policy seriously wrong last summer?

Brian Waring
20   Posted 05/05/2011 at 19:15:00

Steve, the Yak was starting to show a bit of form, and then for some reason, was dropped by Moyes.
Lee Mandaracas
21   Posted 05/05/2011 at 19:12:25

Actually, West Ham offered us £6m plus a further £1m if they avoided relegation, which we turned down. Gold & Sullivan then came back with a revised offer more suited to their perception of his then value at £4.5m.

We then laughed them out of the room as we were holding out for at least £8m as I recall with Moyes in some quarters bandying about a figure as absurd as £10m. Almost cried when we didn't bite their hand off in the first place! £6m rising to £7m would have been awesome business. How the hell did we turn that down???

Now Sullivan is saying Yak is worth £1-2m and he is about right... so, suddenly, their second offer looks decidedly philanthropic!

Jeremy Benson
22   Posted 05/05/2011 at 19:37:37

I'm with Paddy.

Stephen, why would you call him an idiot? Are you incredibly naive?
Anthony Millington
23   Posted 05/05/2011 at 20:04:52

There's no way we should sell him for £2 million! What are we going to do with that? It'll cost about £8 million to get a decent replacement. If that's all we can get for him (I doubt this), I'd keep him because he will score more than Anichebe and will be available when Saha gets injured!
Trevor Lynes
24   Posted 05/05/2011 at 20:46:14

Im pretty sure that DM turned down £6 million and was holding out for £8 million...

If we let Pienaar go for the reported £3 million and let Gosling go for free, then I'm afraid the Yak is 'going for a song' ? as will Vaughan, Anichebe and any of our other 'so-called' strikers.
Colin Prendergast
25   Posted 05/05/2011 at 21:45:02

No way on god's earth will we get more than £4m IMO. I reckon probably £2.5m with intense medical and proof of birth certificate with anything between £0.5-£1.5m on the drip depending on him staying interested for a year. It's not about his scoring record, it's about how he's looked since his injury; otherwise we'd all be paying £5m for Michael Owen. There's also no point in keeping him if he's not going to play him.
Steve Carter
26   Posted 06/05/2011 at 04:09:04

Speaking of James Vaughan, Trevor [24], looking at the link on Rumor Mill, I wonder if JV isn't worth some further consideration by Everton.

I realise it's been in the Championship, but he has scored 9 times in 30 games for Palace and is in Pearce's provisional squad for the U-21 Uefa Championships ? which means that, whatever the Yak's true age is, JV is a heck of a lot younger than him.

Moyes and Round have seen a fair bit of him, true, and no doubt they've kept tabs on him down in South London. Maybe, despite him still being quite young, they consider his past injury problems such that they can do without having both him and Saha around...

Liu Weixian
27   Posted 06/05/2011 at 08:03:50

How much for Anichebe?
Gavin Ramejkis
28   Posted 06/05/2011 at 08:58:02

Steve #26, Vaughan has been getting pushed out of the door by Moyes as long as I can remember so no chance whatsoever of Moyes or Round doing a u-turn on that one. It has to be something off the pitch that caused it as nobody on here could honestly say that Anichebe is a better striker than Vaughan.

Liu #27, I hope someone has compiled a dodgy Youtube for Anichebe as a scout would run a mile watching him play.
Eugene Ruane
29   Posted 06/05/2011 at 08:51:54

Anichebe?

No idea, but anything more than 150 nicker and I'm seeing the name 'Mr I M A Mugg' on the cheque.

(Probably a customer with the Swedish bank, Knött Wörthäwånnk...)
Tony J Williams
30   Posted 06/05/2011 at 09:17:35

Gavin, it's a good job that he wasn't pushed out for the extremely important Semi-Final penalty shootout.

He out of the two when they first arrived was the only one who excited me ? in a manly hetrosexual way. All the lads I go the game with agreed that, out of the two, it would be him who made it.

Who knows? now he has proved he can actually play more than two games without his shins falling off, Moyes take a renewed look at him but I expect him to be playing for Palace next season.... it's a pity.
Tommy Gourlay
31   Posted 06/05/2011 at 09:44:37

Am I right in saying Vaughan is out injured at the moment? (I know he's not played the last 2 games and I think I read somewhere that's the reason).

Does anyone know what the problem is? I'm hoping he's been sick rather than any leg-related injury because I still think he has a chance at a future with us.

I'm glad the Yak responded positively to his recent dropping from Sven, it will hopefully hide his laziness when he becomes comfortable at a club ? which I think had just happened at Leicester ? to potential suitors, that will give us a chance at getting a bit more than £2 million for him.
Tommy Gourlay
32   Posted 06/05/2011 at 09:52:46

@Stephen Kenny

Like people have already said, I think you may have missed Paddy's very clever simile for Yak's age (a car's clock being wound back).
Colin Prendergast
33   Posted 06/05/2011 at 10:25:41

Can anyone honestly say that they think James Vaughan is good enough to be leading the attack for a top 6 prem club? Take away the nostalgia of his semi-final penalty (great as it was) and our love of a committed, all-action approach. For me, he just hasn't got the required quality ? he doesn't score enough goals, is injured a lot, and seems to have a questionable attitude. Like a current day Cadamarteri.

And the response that the useless Anichebe has done it a few times doesn't cut it. Yes, JV is better than the the lazy, scowling, Big ("although I don't use my strength") Victor.

But it's not really the point. They're both not good enough and we should be looking to clear the three out (including Yak). I would take £5-6m for the three right now and take a look at buying someone like Long and/or Bothroyd for the money. Any monies from the sales of one or two of Rodwell, Heitinga, Bily & Fellaini should go towards some pace out wide.

Paddy Francis
34   Posted 06/05/2011 at 11:11:54

Irrespective of his age (!), the annoying thing about the Yak is that I can see him doing the business in the Prem for someone else next season (e.g. Sunderland or Newcastle) and us sitting there in October with Becksford and Tim up top thinking to ourselves how much we could do with him.
Graham Holliday
35   Posted 06/05/2011 at 11:12:53

@ Colin (33) ? Bothroyd's contract runs out in the summer so wouldn't command a transfer fee... although I imagine this just bumps up the signing on/agent fee, so the difference between signing him for a transfer fee / for free is probably negligible.

If we're talking about possible replacements, there is quite an interesting article on the following website...

Jimmy Hacking
36   Posted 06/05/2011 at 12:13:35

£2.2 million
Daniel A Johnson
37   Posted 06/05/2011 at 12:22:01

The Yak has been found out.

Plus he's approaching 45 and has had a career-threatening injury... which he has not convinced the public he's recovered from.

The fact he's NOW HAPPY TO SIGN FOR FUCKING LEICESTER CITY says all I need to know about the state of Yak's mind/attitude. He's happy to pick up an average pay check at a n- presuure club like Leicester, it's all about his retirement plan now.

£2.5M max is all we could hope for.
Daniel A Johnson
38   Posted 06/05/2011 at 12:27:19

Problem is, though... I'd still take the one-legged 45-year-old Yak over 1,000 Anichebes.
Alasdair Mackay
39   Posted 06/05/2011 at 12:36:43

Anyone know about the pre-agreed price for Yobo from Turkey?

Someone told me it was £5 million.

If he is worth £5 million, I would expect to get the same for Yak. He still has 2 years to run on his contract, has a great record and still has 4 seasons at least left in him (even if he is 31/32).

£7 million for Bily from Russia and £1 million for Vaughany. That's £18 million, so Moyes should get about £5 milion to spend!!
Tony J Williams
40   Posted 06/05/2011 at 12:57:23

More like £5, Alasdair...
Paul Rice
41   Posted 06/05/2011 at 13:16:36

He was playing for the Nigerian Under-21s in 1975 wasn't he?!
Colin Prendergast
42   Posted 06/05/2011 at 13:20:50

@Graham 35 - yeah, Bothroyd out of contract and likely to want out if (as I reckon) Cardiff bottle it again in the play-offs. Whilst he'd be looking for decent wages, sure we could sort something that wouldn't break the bank... although, knowing them, someone like the Barcodes would offer silly money to replace the pony-tailed freak.

I'm not sure I'm totally convinced him or Long could do it at our level; just think they could offer some consistency, pace, effort and a change in direction from the tried and tired Vaughan, Anichebe, Yak.

Cheers for the blog link ? interesting article but haven't got a clue about any of those strikers mentioned. Would think if any are as good as suggested, they'll all come with a £10m+ tag and no guarantees.

@Alasdair ? £5m for Yobo and £7m for Bilya? I'd be amazed if we got more than £3m and £5m respectively.

Jay Harris
43   Posted 06/05/2011 at 14:15:48

I wish people would stop knocking the YAK who IMO is the best striker by far we have had on the books recently.His injury was very serious and kept him out for a year but he is now returning to form.

Comparisons with Vaughan are ridiculous.

Unfortunately the Yak needs to be motivated and Moyes seems to have lost it with the Yak possibly over AFCON so he is going out of the door but I would definitely look for a player plus cash deal for him.

Maybe Obinna or Demba Ba plus cash or Andy King plus cash might be tempt the other clubs.
Sam Hoare
44   Posted 06/05/2011 at 14:27:19

I think anything less than £4m would probably be bad business for a proven goalscorer supposedly in his 20s...

I believe Yobo's deal was for £5m and Billy would surely get at least £6m from one of the rich russian clubs no?

Question is which striker is coming in? Not sure i'm convinced by the likes of Demba Ba or Shane Long. What about Nicky Maynard? So hard to find good cheapish goalscorers. Maybe Velios needs to have a good pre season...
Stephen Kenny
45   Posted 06/05/2011 at 15:58:27

Jeremy,

Are you incredibly naive? Do you honestly believe 3 separate football clubs have spent multi-millions on a player who is middle aged. Get your head together.

Tony so what if sheringham and ferdinand played to close to forty? I don't remeber either or the greatest striker in the premier league Alan Shearer averaging 1 in 2 at that age.

I'll guarentee that if he comes back up to the prem he will score, he's proved it over and over and he's also proved he's fit enough to play consistently, whether he's fit enough to run around like a headless chicken closing down full back's on the edge of thier own box or jump for headers with defender's a foot bigger is another matter.
Tony J Williams
46   Posted 06/05/2011 at 16:39:55

The only comparison with Yak and his Championship record, 1 in 2 is Teddy Sherringham. When he was 38, he played for West Ham in the Championship and scored 20 from 33 games. Now this is a man who is supposedly 10 years older than the Yak.
Tony J Williams
47   Posted 06/05/2011 at 16:49:23

Can you honestly see Yak being a 20-goal-a-season man in 10 years?
Stephen Kenny
48   Posted 06/05/2011 at 17:04:28

Tony, hasn't the Yak scored more goals in the Prem than Sheringham?
Tony J Williams
49   Posted 06/05/2011 at 17:33:26

Sherrigham scored 147 Premier League Goals, League Only (180 if you include the "old" 1st Division)

Yakubu has scored 79 Premier League Goals.

So No ? the Yak hasn't scored nowhere near the same amount of goals as Sherringham, and never will.
Anthony Millington
50   Posted 06/05/2011 at 19:23:25

Tommy (#31)... I read that Vaughan was annoyed at the end of the match when they drew with Scunthorpe and punched the wall in the dressing room, fracturing his hand! Does himself no favours, it's almost as bad as Richard Wright falling out of the loft or Thomas Myrhe breaking his leg falling out the bath!
Dick Fearon
51   Posted 06/05/2011 at 23:11:24

For whatever reason, the Yak does not figure in Everton's future. Personally I gave up on him long before his Achilles problem.

The time has come to cut our losses get rid him at the first offer, let another club pay his ridiculous wages and use the money saved to hold on to our dwindling number of good players.

Paul Rice
52   Posted 06/05/2011 at 23:57:52

Stephen (#45) ? unless they do some sort of bone scan on him (or whatever it is they do) how are they supposed to know his genuine age?

We signed Bakayoko when he was supposed to be early 20s and Arsenal passed up on him because their tests showed him to be closer to 30-odd.

With the greatest respect to the Afcon nations ? it's quite hard to prove how old someone is.

He is a proven goalscorer though either way... that achilles injury has scuppered him though ? fair play to the lad for even coming back from that.
James Flynn
53   Posted 07/05/2011 at 02:29:14

Yak won't do the business for anyone in the EPL anymore. He's played out his string.

How many genuinely gifted strikers have you seen over the years who don't live up to the gifts God blessed them with? Just as many as not, right? Probably more flops then successes.

Yak is one of those. He should've been a Great, given his talent. He just isn't. Same as so many others. Moyes took a flyer and got the same one good year out of Yak, Yak's managers before Moyes got out of him.

The old story with professional athletes; so blessed by the Gods from the shoulders down that the Gods forgot about blessings from the neck up. Happens all the time.

Moyes has nothing to do with it.
Mike Mulhall
54   Posted 07/05/2011 at 08:55:34

FEED THE YAK! FEED THE YAK AND HE WILL.......LOSE ABOUT 3MILLION IN VALUE!
James Hollister
55   Posted 07/05/2011 at 20:20:44

Thing is didn't Sven say something along the lines of he was considering his options with the Yak, which is a far cry from when he literally crowed from the roof saying he wanted to sign him in the summer?

It could obviously be a ruse, or it could be the fact Sven may have seen something he doesn't like about him.

Not sure what to make of that situation and I am equally not sure whether we should actually sell him..we need a striker..and while others have said in the past we had to lower the debts.

Moyes then came out that he the Yak wasn't ready or fit enough to play further matches and thats why he let him go off on loan..ie to try and get the Yak fit and motivated again, after all (Moyes) did say he didn't know what he was going to do with [the yak] during the summer.

Im not entirely sure what his value would be worth nowadays, whether he really has got over his injury, whether he has got fitter. If he is scoring goals again maybe he has recovered..which makes it difficult for Moyes to value him?
James Hollister
56   Posted 07/05/2011 at 20:26:36

Sam Hoare - I think we may get a little more from Bily, if he really where to go in the summer, to some rich Russian team. The lad is highly rated over there, and plays for the Russian team.

I am thinking more along the lines of at least 8m for him. He is still young, and still a very sale able asset to his mother country's league.