Members:   Log In Sign Up

Manuel Fernandes

Manuel Fernandes the type of player we have been missing from our squad for the last couple of years. All the successful Premier League teams have one of these players: a player that can pick out a great pass from nowhere; take players on with skill, strength and pace; score from nothing; purely boss the midfield; and make an impact when all hopes are down. This kind of box-to-box midfielder is our solution to the Gerrards and Fletchers of this world.

When you look at the top 6, every team has this type of player. In the summer, if we could get Parker or Adam, that would be great but sadly we don't have the money or persuasions to do so, with no Europe or money to challenge the top four... but a player certainly in our reach is Fernandes. His two spells at the club brought something different that I haven't seen for a long time.

He has had a torrid time at Valencia, apart from one season, 08-09, when he was outstanding, apparently... but for some reason couldn't get into the team. I think the good form of Banega was keeping him out but he subsequently can't get a game now either so he would be a great shout if possible. But Fernandes is certainly available and for the rumoured region of around £3 million as Valencia can't wait to get rid of him.

He went to Besiktas on loan ? for God's sake, we should've got him considering Arteta's poor form... but I believe that Moyes still has bad blood with him from when he went to Valencia instead of joining us. But Moyes should see what a great Everton player in the making he could be... With him and Fellaini in midfield, we could be unstoppable ? and still at the age of 24/25 he is definitely worth the bargain.

So, if we could sign Fernandes or Parker and get some frees in to help support the squad, we could also look at some quality Championship players, such as Gradale, King, Long, Eagles, Rodriguez and maybe Gary Hooper from Celtic, who looks very decent for a 20-year-old. We could give the Premier League a real go next season.

Obviously we would fund the new players with the sales of existing players: Bily (£6M); Yak (£4M)... maybe swap with King; Vaughan (£1M); Yobo (£2M)... maybe Heitinga (£6M) with Upson replacing him as he is on a Bosman in the summer. We could get cheap players who could really help us next season, along with Bosman transfers like Larson, Owen, Elmander, Gilks, Reo-Coker, Obinna, David Vaughan, Jonas Olson ? all good squad players on free transfers.

We could have a good team of:

Howard
Neville (big games; Coleman for the rest of games)
Jagielka
Distin
Baines
Gradle
Fellaini
Fernandes
Arteta/Gueye
Osman
Long or Hooper

Bench: Gilks, Upson, King, Beckford, Cahill, Gueye/ Arteta

That is a very strong squad and, with Everton being so injury-prone a lot of the time, we can afford a big squad of quality players as they will get games. The future is looking bright for the blues if Moyes can get signings in as early as possible.
Joe  Burrowes, Birmingham england     Posted 09/05/2011 at 08:37:14

Comments

Tony J Williams
1   Posted 09/05/2011 at 13:13:06

Let it go lad, let it go
James Marshall
2   Posted 09/05/2011 at 13:21:11

With respect - if you're going to live in a World of fiction & fantasy, can we at least have Xavi, Iniesta, Messi and David Villa in the team please?
Luke O'Farrell
3   Posted 09/05/2011 at 13:19:54

Upson? Gilks? King? Gradel? Long? ? The first two aren't good enough for this football club, by some distance. The other 3 are totally unproven and we couldn't afford to take the risk on them.

Considering playing Gueye over Arteta ? errr why? Gueye has showed glimpses of potential but isn't fit to lace Arteta's boots; never mind take his place.

I would take Beckford over Long and Hooper all day.

Fernandes WAS a good player, but is now overweight and I don't really see where he would fit in. We need wide men, not another centre mid!

We're trying to progress as a team and most of the players you suggest wouldn't let us do that.
Anthony Millington
4   Posted 09/05/2011 at 13:21:58

It was a bad move for Everton and Fernandes's career when we didn't sign him in my opinion. I believe he would still be a great long-term replacement for Arteta, who won't be cheap to replace and Fernandes is still young, great ability and will probably be available at a knock-down price.

However, I strongly doubt Moyes will bring him back again. I can't believe we signed Bily for £9 million when we could have had Moutinho, Fernandes or Adam Johnson for a similar price. I think one of these players could have helped us progress more than Bily.
Chris Keightley
5   Posted 09/05/2011 at 13:27:47

Fernandes - no ta!
Mike Bates
6   Posted 09/05/2011 at 13:32:41

NURSE!!!
Chris Keightley
7   Posted 09/05/2011 at 13:30:37

IMHO we should be looking to ship out Saha ? FREE; Yak ? £3million; Arteta ? £6 million; Cahill ? £3.5 million; Hibbert ? £1 million; Beckford ? £2.5 million; Yobo ? £1.5 million; Heitinga ? £5 million; Gueye ? £2 million; Vellios ? £1 million; Anichebe ? £2.5 million... giving a transfer kitty of £28 million and also Saha's wages.

Put £10 million back to clear overdraft, that leaves £18 million for transfers and a large percentage of the above are high wage earners, meaning we could afford to purchase three or four out-of-contract players, two or three loanees, and one or two, £6-7 million purchases ? who though is the difficult one...

Ian McDowell
8   Posted 09/05/2011 at 13:36:49

His career has gone badly down hill, doesn't have a good attitude and looks overweight.

I would like Everton to sign Jenas from spurs for midfield. He can play in the centre or on the right has a great engine and is quick too. Spurs are reportedly looking to slash there huge wage bill. Kyle Naughton, who we were linked with 2 seasons ago, also has had a great season while on loan at Leicester and made the PFA Championship Team of the Year and seems surplus to requirements.
Steve Sweeney
9   Posted 09/05/2011 at 13:30:31

The Reason we bought Bily was because it was on deadline day, no money till then. I cannot believe that you all think that there will be any signings prior to the Sky money hitting the bank. The Club will struggle to pay the wages over the summer, watch out for an early exit of Rodwell or Fellaini to prop us up over the summer.

The club has been fucked by Billy Bullshit, and every season you all fall for it. Wake up we will not be signing anyone over £7m this transfer window. And that will be after about £35M of sales.... Jags to Arsenal????

Max Fine
10   Posted 09/05/2011 at 13:09:58

As our nothing season draws to a close, its time to get all FM...

However, do you not remember Fernandes' second loan spell for us? He was terrible! And in any case I can't see him playing for peanuts, which is what we have.

Benfica didn't want him, Portsmouth didn't think he was worth the money, he failed a medical at Milan in Dec and now Valencia want rid with him currently on loan at Besiktas... Have you ever thought that maybe it was his good half season with us that was the fluke?? I don't think even Pienaar and Arteta were given that many chances before "reviving their careers" with us.

If he came for nothing and played for a similar amount I'd like to see him given a chance to prove himself, but can't see it happening. What is more likely is the lower league scouting you mentioned. Forget Eagles though - he doesn't even impress in the championship... I would like to see that Rodriguez fella given a chance though; he's held in very high regard by the Burnley fans (much more so than Eagles) and I reckon a cheeky bid including Vaughan might be enough to tempt them...
Paul Gladwell
11   Posted 09/05/2011 at 13:40:58

Dream on with the Scott Parker shout.
Christian Yandell
12   Posted 09/05/2011 at 13:43:00

Surely not, please tell me it's not true... are we really discussing Fernandes coming to us in the summer yet again!!!!

Well, I heard Riquelme fancied a mover to us and blah blah FFS.

Sorry Joe but not another summer of this shit please...
Ernie Baywood
13   Posted 09/05/2011 at 13:53:12

Personally I didn't think he was that good in his good spell. Certainly not good enough to crave for years later.
Chris Keightley
14   Posted 09/05/2011 at 13:58:41

We get who we get; we lose who we lose... Will we be better next year? Probably be another late surge to 7th.
Jon Ferguson
15   Posted 09/05/2011 at 13:52:34

How about bringing Andy V D Meyde out of retirement? He was never given a fair crack of the whip and could give us options out wide.
Andrew Ellams
16   Posted 09/05/2011 at 13:59:55

I have been telling people all season that Moyes should take a punt on Max Gradel. He's quick, good passer, scores goals and is of course versatile around several midfield positions which is right up Moyes' street. If we could Elmander and Vaughan on frees then that would be great to. All 3 would at least improve the quality and depth of the squad.
Nick Entwistle
17   Posted 09/05/2011 at 14:05:28

I have no idea about the other players you have mentioned, but I had said the same thing about Fernandes earlier this season when we played Utd at home. Lunchtime London was the artical. I had said we needed his arrogance, his strutting around, and that this confidence would spread to the other players.

There's no reason why, if he has gone off the boil, that Moyes can't do a rescue job in the same way it worked with Pienaar/ Arteta. He surely wouldn't cause a disruptive influence should it all go AVDM either. Love that player.

Tony J Williams
18   Posted 09/05/2011 at 14:22:23

We actually may have a chance in getting Riquelme now. The fella is 32 and has just paid back his seasons wages, as he only managed 2 games for them.
Chris Keightley
19   Posted 09/05/2011 at 14:39:37

#16 Andrew I've been telling people that we should get Messi - I like Gradel good player, but it would be a risk if we had to part money for him im afraid.
Luke O'Farrell
20   Posted 09/05/2011 at 14:54:25

Slightly off topic, but we've been linked with another defender today.

Every time we are my heart sinks.

We don't need anymore god dam versatile players or defenders!!! (unless its cover at LB).

We need people good on the ball and ability; or at least people who are actual midfielders.
Karl Meighan
21   Posted 09/05/2011 at 14:59:15

Players are rarely the same second time round which was the case with Fernandes but a third time? Moyes would have to be struggling to find anybody before he considered Fernandes again imo.

Gradel has pace but so does Beckford and most don't seem to think he is good enough. Leeds seem to think he will become a striker but Beckford has more to offer for me.
Andrew Ellams
22   Posted 09/05/2011 at 15:10:05

Chris @19, with the budget (if any) that Moyes get this season, gambling on lower division players along with Bosmans and loans is probably going to be the best he can do. But isn't that how he built his reputation? The famous 'rabbit out of the hat' routine?
Mike Allison
23   Posted 09/05/2011 at 15:32:22

That started off a reasonable Manuel Fernandes post then suddenly turned into crazy FM-style fantasy stuff at the end. I'll ignore the game of FM, as Moyes doesn't do that sort of thing and there's no point us speculating on it. However, I do believe Fernandes missed out when he didn't sign for us, and I always rated him as a player. The signing and subsequent development of Fellaini have pushed Manny from our minds for a couple of years, but if he is available for £3M as suggested, I would be very happy to take him. He needs to play regularly in a position that suits him, and if he gets that he'll be as good as (almost) anyone around.

However, I've said before that if we have any kind of budget for new players it needs to go on width and creativity behind the striker.
Michael Kenrick
Editorial Team
24   Posted 09/05/2011 at 15:42:07

Yea, it was defo one of then FM postings in the end. Started okay, Mike, you were right... I thought there might be some point to the Manny musings... but that FM crap in the last part just bit me in the ass. What is the point? So you can list players you like from other teams? And you can create fantasy line-ups? BFD. I'm sorry but it just leaves me cold.

People say, "Yes but we can dream." Well, dreaming is intensely personal... at least before Matt Damon came along ? and really that's where it should stay, imho.

ps: Is his name Gradle or Gradel? Not that I even care...

Roberto Birquet
25   Posted 09/05/2011 at 15:55:43

Chris no 7
stopped reading you at Arteta. On your Bike!
Chris Keightley
26   Posted 09/05/2011 at 16:00:22

Roberto ? fair enough, you're entitled to your opinion... but after this season I would get rid before his stock falls dramatically ? he is not the same player of 2009.
Graham Holliday
27   Posted 09/05/2011 at 16:03:03

Matt Damon? Do you mean Leonardo Di Caprio??
Ian Tod
28   Posted 09/05/2011 at 16:32:25

The fact alone you think adding Max Gradel and Manuel Fernandes to our squad is an improvemnt is crazy... but then you go and add that with these two we could have a go at winning the league, wow!

I think if we make quality improvements, like adding Seb Larsson who in my opinion, has been the most consistent right winger in the league this season, and the experience of someone like Miroslav Klose (unlikely that may be) on afree transfer and we don't sell any of our current squad except deadwood like Yak and Yobo, then we can give the top four a good go as I think our squad's learned some valuable lessons from this season ? along with our manager.

Chris Keightley
29   Posted 09/05/2011 at 16:42:09

Ian # 28 ? what lessons has he learnt? This is again a poor season, he's learnt nothing from the cup games, he still bottles it in important games, and has shown that against the smaller teams in the league he has no idea at all. West Brom on paper looks a game we should win ? what's the betting we batter them!! And lose 3-0?

Very little will change; he's a fair-to-good manager ? not a great manager.
Ian Tod
30   Posted 09/05/2011 at 16:49:24

Chris #29 ? The games you mention are the ones I believed he will have learned from, those and the likes of the Blackburn and Bolton games, I've seen a change in our style towards the end of this season and I think it will make us a stronger team next season, as long as, once again, we lose nobody except the deadwood I mentioned from our squad.
Brian Waring
31   Posted 09/05/2011 at 17:06:55

Can't wait for the new season. We have one of the best squads in the league, probably only second to Chelsea's. We should easily get a top 4 place... oh, hang on, that was this season.
Mike Hayes
32   Posted 09/05/2011 at 17:37:37

Moyes should pull out the stops for Landon Donovan. Came to us to keep up his fitlness, slotted right in and played his socks off, scoring a few on the way. He had nothing to prove and no-one to impress but did both. Sign him asap.
Alan Clarke
33   Posted 09/05/2011 at 17:44:28

Mike (33) I think Donovan deserves his own thread. I think there's a natural course these posts take. It starts with Fernandes then moves on to either Moutinho or Veloso then it turns to good old Landon.

Also what about that Banega fella?
Gavin Ramejkis
34   Posted 09/05/2011 at 17:42:18

Chris #7 the players you list getting shut of contains 7 of the first team, that's one hell of a gamble and something a predictable misery like Moyes would never do. The majority of out-of-contract players are shite and at best stop gaps, what happens when we need to get shut as they'll have no resale value and the squad is smaller than ever?

Did you notice the U18s team that was paraded at half-time in the Man Shitty game? Not one of them look tall or built like a brick shithouse; expect most of them to disappear meaning, yet again, there is little youth coming through.
Dick Anderson
35   Posted 09/05/2011 at 18:17:31

You know what.... fuck Manuel Fernandes.

That guy came to Goodison, shook hands on a deal, sat with Kenwright during that nights match and the next day signed for another club who offered him more money.

Frankly, I don't care that he couldn't cut it at that other club. I don't care that his career has stalled in recent years. I certainly don't want him back at Everton.

Manuel Fernandes showed Everton no respect and, if I was Moyes, I would refuse to even consider him now.

Sometimes you get what you deserve in life; after his behaviour the last time Everton tried to sign him, Manuel Fernandes doesn't deserve another chance.
Luke O'Farrell
36   Posted 09/05/2011 at 19:16:30

#35 Dick

It wasn't Fernandes.

His club accepted Valencia's better offer at the last minute. This meant he was left with a choice of stay at his current club and not play or go to Valencia, where he was wanted.

Valencia trumping our offer meant that we were out of the running once their bid was accepted.
Karl Masters
37   Posted 09/05/2011 at 19:14:06

A silly post leading all sorts of other silly comments from other fans!

I can't beileve anybody in their right mind would want to buy Matthew Upson who is a lazy, greedy, injury prone waste of space who will desert West Ham to save himself.

And sell Saha? He may be injury prone, but he's still our top scorer again this season and short of us finding about £15m under the sofa for a top class forward, the best striking option we still have. Those 4 goals against Blackpool were sheer class.

As for Fernandez, they say you should never re-heat a souffle, never mind try it for a third time. Surely we learnt that with Howard Kendall as a Manager.
Sam Hoare
38   Posted 09/05/2011 at 20:48:05

Fernandes? On a freebie play as you pay deal maybe...otherwise, no chance.

No idea where our transfer are going to come from this summer but I won't be holding my breath for anything special!

ps
Gavin Ramejkis... this is the same U18 team that beat Villa today to get to the final of the national league?! Give them a chance FFS! Messi isn't exactly tall or a brick shit house but he does ok.
John Audsley
39   Posted 09/05/2011 at 21:49:20

Upson is perhaps the most overated CB in the Prem and I believe he thinks he's the best defender in the world, but he isn't ? he's a twat.

Gradel's ok, Fernandes on the cheap might be worth a punt.

Personally I'd like Wolves' Kevin Doyle; he is a Moyes type striker as well... But we don't have £8M ? or even 50p do we....
James Brand
40   Posted 09/05/2011 at 22:14:59

Is it silly season already?
Ray Roche
41   Posted 09/05/2011 at 22:24:03

Just say no.
Tommy Gourlay
42   Posted 09/05/2011 at 23:02:29

What we need is Hallam Hope in our team! Did anyone see his goal for the England youth team yesterday/today?

Oh. My. Word.!!!!!!!!!!
Gavin Ramejkis
43   Posted 09/05/2011 at 23:02:31

Sam, those kids beat a team of Villa kids today, they didn't beat Villa's first team. Remind me of how many youth players we have playing first team football right now from the youth squad?

Messi is only the height he is now because Barcelona paid for the growth hormone treatment but comparing him to anything we have in that squad is pathetic. They are a good squad of kids, if they were amazing world beaters they would be in the first team, they aren't in both cases.

For years we have all heard about kids coming through as the next bright thing only for them to disappear or fuck off to fend off the banks.

James Flynn
44   Posted 09/05/2011 at 23:06:45

What's FM and BFD?
Andrew Keatley
45   Posted 10/05/2011 at 01:12:41

James (44):

FM = Frequency Modulation. It's where you listen to the pop songs on the radio. AM is where you listen to the sport.

BFD: That's a book by Roald Dahl.

My work here is done.
Brendan O'Doherty
46   Posted 10/05/2011 at 01:31:31

Oh no not MF again.

Look we've no money, end of.

Banega? Dream on.

After last summer's spend of £0 there is no point in this indulgence FFS.

As long as BFD is not Baines For Dalglish....
Eric Myles
47   Posted 10/05/2011 at 02:54:22

Where can I get some of what you're smoking Joe?
Will Leaf
48   Posted 10/05/2011 at 03:59:17

Cannot see what is wrong with the old Football Manager dreaming... after all, didn't we pay them some fee to have access to their database.... now that's an Embarrassment...

Oh Kenwright "Don't come 'round here no more, What on earth did you do that for?"

Ernie Baywood
49   Posted 10/05/2011 at 05:29:05

Any chance Müller has dropped his demand that we pay his tax yet?
Tony J Williams
50   Posted 10/05/2011 at 09:01:13

"Chris #7 the players you list getting shut of contains 7 of the first team, that's one hell of a gamble and something a predictable misery like Moyes would never do" - Gavin, I would have concerns if any premiership manager did that.....apart from Citteh, who I expect to try and buy Barcelona's first XI
Colin Malone
51   Posted 10/05/2011 at 09:42:52

Cannot tackle, no engine, head up his own arse. When the going gets tough, the tough get going, not Fernandes.

It's a big NO.

Chris Fisher
52   Posted 10/05/2011 at 11:17:10

The comment about Scott Parker, saying "dream on"?! What's that about? ? are you claiming that West Ham are a bigger club than us? Parker is not on massive wages at West Ham ? name a club where he will actually play every week who are better than us?
Daniel A Johnson
53   Posted 10/05/2011 at 12:26:00

Fernandes?!? Jesus H Christ ? he's not the messiah... just a player who turned us down to go to another club.

A talent that obviously never progressed and never probably will due to bad advice and a bad attitude.

Let's put a full stop to the Moutinho, Fernandes, Riquelme bullshit that always jumps up.

We're skint and we will be rifling through the bins this summer for signings.
Mike Allison
54   Posted 10/05/2011 at 12:50:56

James, 'FM' is 'Footballer Manager' a big selling game on PC where, guess what, you get to be the manager and therefore buy and sell players to your heart's content. Not hard to see why it's so popular reading internet threads like this.

I couldn't find where BFD was written and it doesn't ring a bell of the top of my head.
Brian Waring
55   Posted 10/05/2011 at 14:18:22

Andrew (#45)... I think the book by Roald Dahl was BFG (Big Friendly Giant) ? not BFD.
Brendan O'Doherty
56   Posted 10/05/2011 at 14:51:41

Big Fookin Deal
Andrew Keatley
57   Posted 10/05/2011 at 18:47:43

Brian (#55):

I'm fairly sure I knew that already. Was that not clear?

* Hits irony button frantically.