Members:   Log In Sign Up

Youth for the Last Two

Europe is out of reach and 7th place all but secure. With this is mind, and two games of very little impact left to play, I feel strongly that Moyes should take the opportunity to give the reserve and youth players minutes on the pitch.

Why play Arteta, Cahill etc we know what they are all about? So why not give Vellios, Gueye, Hope, Baxter, Bidwell, Mustafi, Forshaw and Duffy a good taste of first team football? Get Mucha on the pitch and see what he is about.

We will never know if a player is good enough at this level unless they play ? here is a perfect chance for these young lads to impress and give Moyes and us the opportunity to see if they have what it takes.

Si  Harwood, Bolton     Posted 13/05/2011 at 12:33:30

Comments

Declan O'Shaughnessy
1   Posted 13/05/2011 at 14:58:29

To be honest, I've always taken the view that if a given player performs well in training week-in, week-out, he'll get a chance in the first team on merit. If these younger players are showing something in training, then I don't think they should be given playing time - it's basically counter-productive. As I never watch training sessions, I can't really comment on exactly how well this theory stands up!
Dave Lynch
2   Posted 13/05/2011 at 15:04:15

No chance.
Not with our safety first, let's not loose a point managers mindset.
Giving youth a chance and going out there to rip teams apart is not in his make-up.

It really does depress me. I remember a few months back on here, posters where shouting about how much better than the shite across the park we where and how they where finished.

Enter Dogliesh, a manager with a bit of attacking nouse and not afraid to take a risk and the tables turn.

Expect nothing but the same faces, same system and don't lose at all costs attitude.
Ryan Holroyd
3   Posted 13/05/2011 at 15:13:55

Sorry, but I pay good money to see the best possible 1st team play.

I don't pay reserve prices so why should I see a reserve team play?

Dave, who this season has played Coleman, Velios, Guaye, Baxter and has had players like Duffy, Barclay, etc on the bench?

I am perfectly happy that Moyes gives chances to young players when
he thinks they're ready.

Dave Lynch
4   Posted 13/05/2011 at 15:26:04

Ryan.
Coleman was already an established player.
The others have made cameo appearences when his arm has been forced.
Stephen Leary
5   Posted 13/05/2011 at 15:36:15

I would like to see Moyes experiment in playing a couple of different systems... It can't do any harm and might make us more flexible for next season. What about 4-3-3 and 3-5-2 system?
Dan McKie
6   Posted 13/05/2011 at 15:36:22

There would be no point in throwing a whole team of them in, we wouldnt actually see if they were any good. Chuck a couple on with the first team regulars and see how they intergrate. England managers always use friendlys to throw an completely new first 11 in the team, of which usually a big fat zero make it on the field for a game that matters. Also, 7th isnt sewn up, we can still get 6th and there is about £800k - £1.6m riding on the next 2 games.
Ryan Holroyd
7   Posted 13/05/2011 at 15:59:16

Dave, a bit like Dalgleish then.He only put in the likes of Spearing because Gerrard was injured.
Mike Allison
8   Posted 13/05/2011 at 17:27:46

Ryan your money might be better spent on young, hungry players keen to impress than on tired, established players who lack motivation.

This is a similar argument to those 'weakened team' fines that Holloway and McCarthy have had, and can be summed up as saying that, due to circumstances, the 'best XI' isn't necessarily the 'best XI'.

I totally agree on giving young players a chance in these games, but I think it needs to be two or three alongside established players, as otherwise it does become counter-productive.
Chris Bannantyne
9   Posted 13/05/2011 at 17:21:11

Well this season has been so bloody flat, chucking on the youth will at least make things interesting.

Obviously you can't really chuck em all on at the same time, but I would like to see Vellios get a whole half instead of just whatever added time is thrown on at the end.

Hope is another one I am keen to see. It would also be nice to see what the likes of Mustafi and Duffy are all about.

I want to win the last two games also, but regardless of recent results I am not at all convinced by our starting 11. I believe there is much room for improvement in the recipe, with ingredients we may well already have.

Anyway, it's like I said, the season is done - at least this will be a bit exciting.
John Crook
10   Posted 13/05/2011 at 17:27:55

No chance of the youngsters being given a chance. Even with 2 games left and nothing to play for it will be one up top with 2 holding midfielders. In fact is anyone else expecting the inclusion of vaughan or yakubu on the bench last 2 games?? I know they are both 'gonners' but they might get a farewell sub appearance in the last 10 mins of the chelsea game??
Ian Tod
11   Posted 13/05/2011 at 18:37:45

There is still an outside chance of two scenarios playing out
A) if we win both games we could finish sixth above Spurs, a massive achievement and one that would surely give players and supporters alike huge confidence going into next season if it plays out.
B) we could lose both games finish 10th and become a lot less attractive for players like Fellaini and Baines and also for new players we could target in the summer.

So judging on these two scenarios, there is no way in hell we should be playing kids and making the chances of us getting beat far higher. also, I and many fellow evertonians don't pay good money to watch kids, we want to watch the first team playing at the best possible level.
Peter Warren
12   Posted 13/05/2011 at 21:52:56

My understanding is City win the cup, extra Europa place. Therefore, I hope we win and half-hope the shite win next game, I think that means it will go down to the last game of the season and still outside chance of Europe.

Would be funny us qualifying and Spurs not...
Alex Baker
13   Posted 13/05/2011 at 22:39:06

@ Peter Warren, Stoke City have got the European spot that would've gone to 6th, so no, Everton can't get Europe... unless we win the Fair Play League of course! And as for the thrust of the main article, I think it'd be nice to see what a few younger players could do in the last few games, but not all at once ? mix it up with most of the seniors and see if any of them seem like they can fit in well.
Cathal Naughton
14   Posted 13/05/2011 at 23:07:50

At the end of April we were ranked 10th in the fair play league so I think that can be ruled out. I can't see anyone behind us overturning a 5-point deficit so I would be all for giving a few of the squad players a go.

On the off-chance that the Shite do manage a win against Spurs, I would put money on them to at least get a draw in the last game against Birmingham. I don't see Everton catching them for 6th and as for the extra £800,000, that would most likely get sucked into the black hole of debt crippling the club anyways...

James Flynn
15   Posted 13/05/2011 at 23:40:56

Declan (1) - Agree completely. Let them play their way in is always best. Besides, 6th place is in play til it's not.
Dennis Stevens
16   Posted 14/05/2011 at 00:26:47

As Ian says above, whilst 7th may look the most likely finishing position, anywhere from 6th to 10th is possible. So these last two matches do still matter.
Eric Myles
17   Posted 14/05/2011 at 01:26:22

What Dan #6 and Ian #11 said.

Plus, both teams we have left to play have something to play for, relegation and Champions, so the teams around them might be understandably miffed if we put out our youth team.
Martin Faulkner
18   Posted 14/05/2011 at 01:55:36

It's not gonna happen. West Brom tore us a new one at Goodison earlier in the season; we'll go there with Johnny and Pip in centre-mid yet again, with one up top.

I hope I'm wrong and he puts Pip back to RB, Coleman on the right with a mid trio of Johnny, Arteta & Osman, with Gueye on the left.

Ian Kearney
19   Posted 14/05/2011 at 02:33:08

Wouldn't play them all, but the ones on the verge (Vellios, Gueye and maybe one more) would perhaps benefit; won't happen though, Davy is a 'tried and trusted' man and alway will be.
Stewart Oakes
20   Posted 14/05/2011 at 03:12:49

5 points behind Spurs with 2 games to go, sixth is still up for grabs so play the best 11.
Andrew Clare
21   Posted 14/05/2011 at 08:41:48

I would like us to throw 'caution to the wind' and play an attacking formation against West Brom.
But I know its only a dream.
Dave #2 and Martin #18 have no doubt got the right answer; more safety first football from our defensive minded manager.
James Stewart
22   Posted 14/05/2011 at 15:08:30

Will never happen under Moyes.
Paul Doyle
23   Posted 15/05/2011 at 11:35:25

Why should Moyes bother? He has just won the Champions League! ? well... finished 7th ? now this is a manager with ambition... NOT! He, like our chairman, is slowly trying to condition us for a future of mediocrity.

Do you really want this clown to get his hands on the jewels in the Under-18s? Look at his history with young players... no, I do not want him anywere near these lads.