Members:   Log In Sign Up

Top of the Pile ? CONGRATULATIONS!

If no one else is going to do it, I will.

Our Under-18s have just gone and done it... They've only just gone and done it!!!!

Everton Ubder-18s win the National FA Premier League Trophy

Get In!!!!!!

Well done lads - something for us to cheer.

COYB!

Mike Green, High!!!     Posted 13/05/2011 at 23:05:37

Comments

Danny James
1   Posted 13/05/2011 at 22:31:51

Our youth have done us proud today. National Champions!!!!! With three of our most important youth players out as well.

We have something to feel proud of this season!

Michael Kenrick
2   Posted 14/05/2011 at 03:09:14

Nice one, Mike. I like your style!

As I intimated in the leading article on the homepage, this was tremendous for the lads to to win through at the oppo's gaff, without three of our best players. And they get a nice tin pot for their troubles.

I couldn't even begin to think of life as a prospect in the Academy. Honing your craft under a host of old school coaches whose main aim is to get it out of you and get you to play "the system"... and after more years of effort, hoping you might be on the brink, and worth a glimpse from the piercing Blue eyes of the Ginger one, who might name you on the bench a few times as the season drags on... and perhaps, just perhaps, give you 4 mins at the end of a game, before confining you once again to oblivion.

I probably dunno what I'm talking about... but I dunno how they do it!
Santosh Benjamin
3   Posted 14/05/2011 at 03:18:38

Just heard the news. I am really thrilled to see that the Academy lads win the national trophy. Hope to see a few of these names in the senior squad over the next few years. Hope the senior team can win their next 2 games and end the season on a good note. COYB
Jon Beck
4   Posted 14/05/2011 at 07:22:11

Not quite sure what point you are trying to make Michael? I would imagine they are living the dream until the heartbreaking day that most will be released. I also thought our Academy facilities and setup were highly regarded. Anyway, brilliant news for the U18s and congratulations to all involved.
Tony McNulty
5   Posted 14/05/2011 at 07:26:50

Michael,

You have just turned a post focusing on the success of our youth into an underhanded swipe at our esteemed manager.

Tut tut. At least you had the grace to use the word "probably" in your last paragraph. Methinks you actually felt guilty. Serves you right. Not a yellow card but the ref would "probably" have given you a first warning.

Esteemed editor, consider yourself bollocked..
Gavin Ramejkis
6   Posted 14/05/2011 at 08:11:38

Mike, could you provide a précis of the game; you know goalscorers etc. A good result for an Everton team to win down at plastic Chelski.
Andrew Clare
7   Posted 14/05/2011 at 08:48:48

Well done to everyone concerned-fantastic!
Franny Porter
8   Posted 14/05/2011 at 08:53:14

Only you MK could find a negative spin on this story, pathetic.
Sam Morrison
9   Posted 14/05/2011 at 09:30:23

Well done to the boys. Great stuff.
Michael Lynch
10   Posted 14/05/2011 at 09:32:47

A very negative post MK. The Academy are national champions because they are the best in the country, we should be praising the academy staff for a fantastic job.

Well done to all involved, im very proud to be a blue today!
Ryan Holroyd
11   Posted 14/05/2011 at 09:34:02

You mean like Osman, Hibbert. Rooney, Rodwell, Vaughan, anichibie, Etc.

You really are one pathetic twat. Using an academy success to have another go at our football club.

What is it with you? Are you really that pathetic in your normal life?
Matthew Lovekin
12   Posted 14/05/2011 at 10:20:23

MK - you recently criticised me for trying to be positive and have a bit of forward planning with youth in mind.

Have a look at your own posts before you criticise others please!
Matthew Lovekin
13   Posted 14/05/2011 at 10:22:27

P.S. Well done lads!!!
Steven Hepworth
14   Posted 14/05/2011 at 10:20:56

Mike - good article and well done to our academy boys!

Michael - shame on you...you should be celebrating our successes not using it as an excuse to pedal your bigoted views on our manager. Enjoy your half full glass of orange for breakfast!!
Alun Willis
15   Posted 14/05/2011 at 10:28:25

This is an unqualified good news story. I've only seen the clips of the team on Youtube. I must say that Hallam Hope certainly looks like the real deal. I'd be very interested to hear views from others in the know on prospective graduates from promising 18 year old to first teamer (hopefully at Everton, but if not then elsewhere). Thanks in advance
Karl Jones
16   Posted 14/05/2011 at 11:00:16

Brilliant!! Well done to the Academy lads. Like all Everton trophy winners we've done it the hard way, but that makes it all the sweeter. Proud to be a blue. Revenge at WBA would make it a great day.
Peter Webster
17   Posted 14/05/2011 at 11:02:36

A great story in an otherwise mostly depressing season, bar Osman's good form.
Really proud of the lads, well done everyone.
Karl Jones
18   Posted 14/05/2011 at 11:05:23

George Waring... What a great name for a future Everton No. 9 !
Matt Lavery
19   Posted 14/05/2011 at 11:15:10

Well done lads to the young lads! With some model professionals and ex-pro's to guide them in the first team and coach set-up I am sure they will enjoy their moment in the sun! And deservedly so.

I used to get annoyed at this website's negative 'spinners', however, I realise that actually they are a relatively small minority in the big scheme of all things blue. One article that got me was the recent one about our last 2 games. Some people were slating Moyes et al and saying he'll never give youth a chance. Some will state he's had no choice, however, I see Coleman, Rodwell etc being named ahead of Bily, Heitinga etc etc. Then some muppet stated that Coleman was a first team regular so he didn't count... WHAT?! He's a young lad who had been given a 'go' by Moyes and nobody else.

Well done to all at the club.

Could I just point toffeewebers to the recent radio interview with our top class captain Pip where he talks about his young daughter. Fantastic bloke and fantastic spirit. With people like him at our great club it's no wonder these young boys have been inspired to this success (not taking anything away from their hard work and ability).

COYBB!
Brendan O'Doherty
20   Posted 14/05/2011 at 12:09:43

Absolutely brilliant stuff, great news.

Well done lads!

Paul Foster
21   Posted 14/05/2011 at 12:25:27

Wonderful effort, congratulations to all.

MK, that really was a post in poor taste. And also probably inaccurate. You seem to have this idea that the rest of the teams in the Premier League are full of youth team players, week-in, week-out. Well ask a supporter of any other club in the country and they'll rave about the youth-to-first-team ratio at Everton. Most clubs at the highest level don't bring any players through at all.

Today, Everton have Hibbert, Osman, Coleman and Anichibe all starting plus Baxter and Rodwell on the bench. The idea that Moyes is somehow preventing the through-flow of talent is absolutely absurd when you look at the facts. But looking at the facts never seems to have been your strong point.
James Thomas
22   Posted 14/05/2011 at 13:51:00

Went to the game last night and thought that the lads did very well to come back from a bit of a sucker punch of a first goal from Fulham. I'm not going to give the players specific ratings because I thought they were all excellent and to be quite honest I didn't know any of them by appearance and was referring to "number 4, number 8" etc throughout the game. Still here goes:

1. Davies - a commanding keeper to say the least. Spent the entire game screaming at his defence to push out and keep their line. Confident on crosses and nothing he could have done about the goal.

2. Browning - a surging right back who won at least two corners and seemed to have a fairly decent cross on him. Genuinely looked like he could step up.

3. Garbutt - still one of the younger players I believe but linked up nicely down the left wing and looked to get forward.

4. Bidwell - my favourite player of the night. The two fulham fans behind me were amused at the "agricultural" nature of our centre halves but I think they did a disservice to them. My father and I dubbed Bidwell the "new Hibbo" (that's a compliment) as he was a warrior all match. Winning his headers, putting in plenty of hard (but fair) tackles and showing total commitment. Organised his defence well too. My fear is that he may be regarded as not tall enough to play in the premier league against teams like Stoke etc. That being said Cannavaro made a pretty good career out of being a short centre back.

5. Dier - Dier was about the only player I was certain I recognised. Very tall and won most of his headers but (like many of the lads at this age) still seemed to need to grow into his body. He had a slight tendency to pass it back to the keeper but not unreasonably in my opinion. That being said, if it's true we would have to pay a multi-million pound fee for this lad then I don't think that we can afford to splash the (non-existent) cash.

6. Barrow - a confident, fairly deep lying, central midfielder who appeared to revel in the "quarter-back role". He sprayed some fantastic passes out to both wings and the opposition fans behind me were always furious with their players when they allowed him time on the ball. He also had a Delap/Phil Neville-esque cannon of a long throw.

7. McAleny - out on the right wing he combined well with Browning to cause havoc for the Fulham left hand side at times. Played some very dangerous low crosses as well.

8. Donegan - somewhere between Osman and Rodwell. The twinkle toes of Leon with the surging ability of Rodwell. Really great partnership with Barrow in central midfield.

9. Kinsella - Deep lying number 9, arguably playing like an old fashioned number 10. Good link up man between the midfield and forward lines.

10. Forrester - Strong and pacey forward who held the ball up well. Was perhaps a bit isolated up front at times and didn't receive too much service so couldn't really display his shooting abilities.

11. Thomas - Scored the first and made the second. In the first half spent quite a bit of time switching wings and was our main outlet. Surprisingly pacey for one so tall, but perhaps needs to fill out a bit as he looked a little gangly. His goal was a case of being in the right place and the right time but he did well to drive it through a crowd of players. His cross for the second goal was delivered with pinpoint accuracy.

15. Waring - made a great impact after coming on as a late sub. A truly giant boy he towered over Fulham's two centre halves who were at least 6'3" each. Won all his headers and had decent control too.

On another note it was great to see such a large turnout from the Evertonians. I reckon we had as many fans as the home team who gave great support to the lads. There was however another "Evertonian" at the ground. None other than Bullshit Billy himself. Seeing him brought a sour note to an otherwise happy occasion, although I did manage to shout at him to "get out" which gave me a juvenile sense of satisfaction. Another fan confronted him in a more composed manner and was fobbed off with "Don't worry I'll sort it out". Hmm.....

All in all though I was made up for the lads. It was so refreshing to see a game played in such good spirit. Arguably we could have had a man sent off for blatant obstruction but Fulham ended up scoring 30 seconds after this. Otherwise I counted three over-zealous challenges but not a single dive from either side.
David Moorcroft
23   Posted 14/05/2011 at 15:53:30

Well done boys,Keep up the great work.
Mark Wayman
24   Posted 14/05/2011 at 17:22:06

Well done to all involved!

I wish the players all the best for a successful career - hopefully with us.
Gavin Ramejkis
25   Posted 14/05/2011 at 17:27:23

James #22 that's exactly what I was looking for from someone actually there rather than some gushing shite on Pravda, thanks
Michael Upton
26   Posted 14/05/2011 at 17:44:04

I blame Hibbert and Osman.

Well done, boys,a fine achievement and here's hoping some of you can break through to a great career with the Blues.

As for MK's pathetic bigoted attempt to hijack a positive story with a swipe at DM, perhaps a more suitable comment would be: "If they're lucky some of them can dedicate their whole career for over a decade to the same club only to be constantly derided and slagged off by critical and unappreciative fans on Toffeeweb."

If we're as skint as many make out, youth is the answer, and this achievement can only be a good sign.

Dennis Stevens
27   Posted 14/05/2011 at 18:46:38

A car-load of the ESSCA lads decided to drive up from the South Coast, rather on the spur of the moment - & what a good decision that proved to be! I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of play from both sides, Fulham certainly have a few young gems of their own amongst that team.

James' assessment above seems like a fair one to me. I felt Fulham had the better of the firsty half in terms of possession & quality of play, but without ultimately threatening all that much as our back line mopped up pretty well. In the second half we seemed to have a bit more of a go at them, which made for a better game.

The possible sending-off incident James mentioned was one where neither their striker nor our defender would have reached a through ball before the 'keeper collected it & Isuspect the Referee felt the tumle could be down to either player so did the simple thing & played on anyway. Fulham's goal followed shortly after, scored by their number 8, who I felt was their best player.

The reponse from the Everton lads was excellent in their determination to turn it 'round in the last fifteen-twenty minutes. They worked hard for their victory & it was great to see the joy on their faces at the end. Also nice to see Ray Hall get a reward for his work with these youngsters, he was beaming.

I don't know how many of these lads will make the grade, but have to disagree with Michael, as I think Everton is a pretty good club to be at for youngsters hoping to make a career as a professional footballer.

As we left I was surprised to see the team coach being loaded up with a large pile of pizzas - I'd have thought Uncle Bill would have treated the whole party to a decent meal at one of the local restaurants!
Martin Paice
28   Posted 14/05/2011 at 19:51:13

Well done lads.

Every blue nose should be proud of what they've achieved.

Say what you like about BK and Moyes, but our youth set up looks up there with the best of them.
Michael Kenrick
29   Posted 14/05/2011 at 19:51:38

If youth really is our only hope for the future, then unfortunately I see Moyes as the biggest obstacle. Four or five players coming through in the last 10 years is hardly much to write home about. And that was really my hidden point: the loss rate is just astounding to me. And these are the creme de la creme.

It's hilarious to think that he has supposedly done all these great things to give Everton Academy players their chance, when in reality he only ever considers them if the squad has been decimated by injuries and it's backs to the wall.

And when they do finally come through, look what happens to them: Jack Rodwell being the current case in point. The daft bugger very nearly fucked up Rooney by needlessly holding him back with his maddening Scottish frugality. Some days he drives me to despair... and after watching that hopeless display at the Hawthorns, this is one of them.

ps: I don't think you can really count Coleman among the products of the Everton Youth Academy: he was over 20 when purchased from Sligo Rangers, and needed time in the Reserves and Championship; he was never a youth player with Everton.

Andrew Gilbert
30   Posted 14/05/2011 at 20:54:14

Well done lads!

Michael, you are still way off topic.
Niall Martin
31   Posted 14/05/2011 at 21:23:21

That would be Sligo Rovers, Michael.... Sligo ROVERS
Brendan O'Doherty
32   Posted 14/05/2011 at 21:35:01

"purchased from Sligo Rangers"

It's Sligo ROVERS. A small but also hugely important difference.

Michael Kenrick
33   Posted 14/05/2011 at 21:42:46

I stand corrected.

Thank you, Brendan & Naill.
Tim Roth
34   Posted 15/05/2011 at 01:41:54

@MK

How many of our youth team products have gone on to be worth of a top 6 club after Moyes released them? I can't think of ONE. If he had let go a string of youngsters who went on to establish themselves as top quality Premier League players, you may have a point to argue. but the fact is, he hasn't. Not only that, but he has been a great poacher of young talent, such as Coleman and Lescott, to both the benefit of the team, and, sadly, the accounts.

The current crop maybe the creme de la creme, as you put it, but how can you judge his work with this team before they graduate? Give him a bloody chance. Our past youth teams have not been as successful (the last youth trophy I can remember was the Youth Cup winning team of the late 90s) so your attempt to imply he's been working with 10 years' worth of table-toppers is misleading. His work with, and returns gotten from Osman, Hibbert, Rooney, Rodwell, Vaughan, Coleman, Duffy, Baxter and Anichebe is a job well done ? not, as you put it, "hilarious".
Jamie Crowley
35   Posted 15/05/2011 at 03:18:59

Brendan -

I had a hearty chuckle at your correction at #31. Didn't even notice it until you pointed it out, then laughed out loud.

I know nothing of the youth squad, but am still happy. With our lack of funds we must find ways to bring the young guns through the system.

Paul Foster TYVM for that review. Nice to hear some opinions from folks at the match about the kids that played.

Lastly, I know they are U18 by my God they all look so young! I must be getting old.
Brendan O'Doherty
36   Posted 15/05/2011 at 03:46:59

Fair enough Michael.

After all, they are a club who list amongst their former players a certain W.R. Dean..
Michael Kenrick
37   Posted 15/05/2011 at 15:15:18

That's my point, Mr Roth, that the talent is (more often than not) squandered, that it fails to develop. I'm suggesting the coaching methods may have something to do with this.

Our reputation for bringing players through rests on Osman, Hibbert, Rooney, Vaughan and Anichebe. (Duffy and Baxter have clearly not made the grade yet... and as I said, Coleman was never part of the Everton Academy.)

Apart from Rooney, whose pure raw talent was actually held back by Moyes after Colin Harvey did everything to bring him through, I'm not convinced that's such a great record.

Andrew Gilbert
38   Posted 15/05/2011 at 15:50:33

MK.

Still incredibly way off topic!

Just say 'well done lads' and go somewhere else.
James Martin
39   Posted 15/05/2011 at 15:47:32

Duffy has definitely not made the grade, if he can't get into our calamitous backline at any point in the season then he's obviously not Premier League standard.

This is what infuriates me about Moyes and youth players. If your centre-backs are injured, why play Neville or HIbbert there? If your strikers are injured, why go with Cahill or Fellaini? If your full backs are injured, why move a central defender over? It makes no sense.

If your top ranked youth centreback is no better than Hibbert or Neville in the position then he may as well hang up his boots now. If your best youth strikers can't pose more of a threat than Cahill and Fellaini then they shouldn't be on the books. Osman has been here years and has never got a run in his proper position of central midfield, a career largely wasted by Moyes; when are we ever going to see Coleman at right back where he destroyed Spurs from?

Rodwell looks awful in centre-mid but all the big boys are still willing to pay because they know that they could have the next Rio Ferdinand on their hands. Smalling went straight into United's backline for big Champions League games and he just had to raise his game to where the bar was set. Moyes on the other hand lowers the standards of the whole team just to accommodate as many favourties as he possibly can.

Trevor Mackie
40   Posted 15/05/2011 at 17:29:00

I agree with MK and think those taking umbrage are short sighted nincompoops.
John Smith
41   Posted 15/05/2011 at 18:58:09

Just saw Wayne Rooney?s latest few tweets:

@WayneRooney: A scouser knocks Liverpool of there perch. Haha. An evertoniian aswell. Yes. People. U can't imagine how happy I am tonight. Believe (sic)

@WayneRooney: Utd til I die. Everton til I die. Believe. Come together. The beatles. Leg. (sic)

Both of these were about 9 hours ago ? which probably means he was out celebrating (and drinking).

As they say, ?when wine goes in secrets come out?. Now I?m not saying I think he?ll be heading back to Merseyside anytime soon ? but I just think it does prove he still feels something for the club.

Thoughts?

Andrew Gilbert
42   Posted 15/05/2011 at 20:40:33

Trevor. Yes Michael may have a point to argue but not here on this thread which was started to offer congrats to our youth team.

A thread with no arguing and abuse, which would be a welcome change from the usual doom mongering and the end is nigh arguments that go on, seemingly on every thread.

A thread where no player is called a cunt or a lazy fat bastard (even if they are!).

We are Champions, possibly in the last age group where money doesn't matter so much.

Enjoy it, if only for a moment or two.
Pat Finegan
43   Posted 15/05/2011 at 21:07:20

John (#41) ? I'm not sure what that has to do with anything but it would make a good mailbag submission. I won't respond to it in this thread so as not to get off topic.

Michael, way to be a party pooper. Everyone else has beaten me to the intelligent arguments so that's all I have left.
Michael Kenrick
44   Posted 15/05/2011 at 23:55:30

Really, Andrew... excuse me for daring to suggest that, if past performance is anything to go by, these young stars will likely find it extremely hard to fulfill the promise their victory might portend.

The sad fact is that the Academy churns through an incredible number of youngsters, a significant number of them playing at international level for their respective age groups, yet they come to nothing. I've been tracking them on this website of many years now, and the success rate is astoundingly low.

I thought it was relevant. But no doubt it's something you didn't really wanna know.

Pat (#43) ? Are you serious? We always get slammed for these Rooney threads... plus there are a lot of Evertonians who cannot accept that Wayne might still be "one of us" ? I didn't want to offend them so I snuck this in here... You really think it's worthy of a mailbag thread??
Eugene Ruane
45   Posted 16/05/2011 at 07:43:00

TUT!

All these posters who have could have posted simply praising the under-18s, yet chose to focus on MK for not concentrating on praising the under-18s... coz they were concentrating... no HE was concentrating on not praising... no sorry THEY were not under 18... Oh just forget it!
Andrew Gilbert
46   Posted 16/05/2011 at 19:12:48

Michael.

Ok, pay no attention at all to what I said. You have a point to argue but obviously you can see through my words and label me as someone who just doesn't want to know, even though I may already know!

Just not here and not now!

You just said it yourself 'Sad Fact' well keep the sad facts to the sad threads and not this one! please.

Well done lads!