Victor Anichebe

In all my years visiting this site I've never known a player to be as universally berated as much as Victor Anichebe. Now, I haven't seen enough games this season to judge him as accurately as most on this site but surely the stick he gets is well out of proportion in relation to the influence he has had on this ultimately disappointing season?

Yesterday, for example he made a fine turn and forced an excellent and slightly lucky save from the goalkeeper. It was inches from being a great goal and who knows, a career changing moment for him.

The problem yesterday was team selection. I believe we should have started with Vic and Beckford in front of a four man midfield with Neville at right back. Maybe giving Gueye a start. It seems to me that neither Anichebe or Beckford can cut it as lone strikers, what was to lose by starting them together.

Anyone who reads this site will know my views on David Moyes but surely he has seen something in training or believes something we are unaware of, that saw Vic offered that contract.
Andy Crooks, Belfast     Posted 15/05/2011 at 23:35:01

Comments

Russell Buckley
1   Posted 16/05/2011 at 03:08:01

We won't be caught by and we won't catch the team above us. We are playing a team below us in the League, have nearly a complete squad and Moyes still decides to go for safety first. What's the bloody point of that? Why not go for the fucking win for once???

Vic is ordinary, we can all agree on that, but the abuse he gets is boring the hell out of me. The players didn't show up yesterday but if Moyes can bore supporters to death, imagine working with him every day. He has some key strengths but I fear the man doesn't know or worse want to change.

Robbie Muldoon
2   Posted 16/05/2011 at 06:00:13

What about this, Mr Moyes?

Years 	Team 		Apps 	(Gls)
2006? 	Everton 	91       (7)
Anichebe.

Boss record that, Davey... start him every game.

I hope Moyes walks soon

Mike Green
3   Posted 16/05/2011 at 07:21:01

As a person and a player, I genuinely wish Vic all the best but I'm afraid to say he just does not cut the mustard as a quality footballer.

If you're looking for bluff and bluster, someone to maraud about the final third threatening bother but not really creating anything of any worth, then he's your man.

In the five seasons he's run out for the Blues, there are probably 3 games max when I've thought "Well done, Vic".

He's a Championship player and there's no shame in that but that's it I'm afraid.
Chris Bannantyne
4   Posted 16/05/2011 at 07:59:39

I get your reasoning Andy, but Moyes's ineptitude this season has shown me that we can't just trust that he sees something in Vic that we don't, as he hasn't been able to see what a lot of fans have been able to see all season.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love for Vic to "come good" but I honestly don't see it happening, and Moyes is just flogging a dead horse by continuing to play him.
Alan Williams
5   Posted 16/05/2011 at 08:18:47

Bic Vic is just a waste of a number and shirt; sorry but as soon as I see his name on the sheet, it just puts me on a downer and a lose any hope of a win. Terrible for any fan to feel like that but I do and I'm not proud but it is just poor at best, no control and he has a poor shot, especially on his left! COYB
Eugene Ruane
6   Posted 16/05/2011 at 08:20:12

Let's (to use the words many a middle-class rapper) 'keep it real'. Anichibe has just played a couple of games where his performances weren't quite as awful as what he usually serves up. They weren't great performances or even very good performances. They were just better than normal FOR HIM. And that's it. No corner's turned, no defining moments and no goals. Wish it was different but... it's not.
Derek Thomas
7   Posted 16/05/2011 at 08:40:09

Eugene, you beat me to it.

The real Big Vic just did stand up....

And he was numbingly average.
Alex Buckley
8   Posted 16/05/2011 at 08:12:10

Vic is not good enough, simple as; the only reason he?s getting the nod is cause of the Becks dummy spitting incident & Moyes making a point.

I like the Idea of a Sturridge (£10m) & Ba (£5m) strikeforce but once again it comes down to finance.

No way on earth we should let Baines go; he counts as two players by the fact he?s never injured & we?ve got no cover... he?s got to be currently the No 1 left back in the country.

Rodwell, however, if he?s got to go, I would prefer him going to City than United. They?ll pay far more just cause United want him too, plus if we could get Milner & a decent fee (£10-15m) then, together with the Yak/Yobo cash, we could fund the two strikers we desperately need.
Brian Waring
9   Posted 16/05/2011 at 09:41:49

You can't fault the lad for effort, but that's about all he has. Also, I can't believe how easily he is put on his arse for such a big lad.
Graham Holliday
10   Posted 16/05/2011 at 10:04:08

#8 (Brian) - for the most part, I believe you really can fault him for his effort.

Unless, by 'effort', you mean in terms of being dumped on his arse by a nothing challenge and complaining to the ref?
David Hallwood
11   Posted 16/05/2011 at 10:05:26

I've seen some dross in a blue shirt and I'm sure that we all can (and sometimes do) pick the worst XI, the trouble with Everton that we could put out 3 worst XI teams. However, most of the dross have realised that Messi they ain't and have rolled their sleeves up and put a shift in.

Vic is unique in that not only is he shite, but he's got an attitude and struts round throwing his toys out the pram, so you don't even got a shift out of him.

Conspiracy theory time: I think Moyes is picking him as a message to the board ? no money forthcoming, you get Victors. What do you think? ? Nah, I don't don't think so either.
Dave Wilson
12   Posted 16/05/2011 at 09:41:33

He has played 3-4 games up front on his own for us this season, something nobody has managed to do successfully before.

Anybody who watches Everton knows he has been either wide on the right, or injured for the two seasons prior to this, but that doesn't stop these ridiculous stats that include his 2-3 minute cameos.

Despite being plagued by terrible injuries, Anichebe has scored arguably the two best individual goals scored by any Everton player in the past 3 seasons so to say he has no ability is just plain foolish. Whether he has enough of the package to stay in the Prem is another matter.

Several people at WBA were considerably worse than Vic, but once again none of them have been singled out anywhere near as much.

Andy doesn't ask about his ability, he simply asks the question: is the stick he takes out of proportion to his influence? In my opinion, that is no longer contestable.

When people write articles based on quotes that can't even be attributed to him, things have gone well to far, it's shaming.
Gavin Ramejkis
13   Posted 16/05/2011 at 10:27:22

I'm not sure if DM has the humility to accept his mistakes never mind learn from them. A lone striker isn't a common beast yet Moyes seems to think he can put anyone labelled a striker into the role. It takes pace, power and great finishing, Anichebe may have some power to shrug off a defender but he doesn't always show it instead going down like a sack of spuds and then complaining. He doesn't have great pace either so that trick onto a through ball isn't going to succeed even if we turned up and our midfield put in a shift. He most certainly doesn't have a great regular finish on him and his goal return rate is terrible.

For a good few minutes he actually looked useful against City, ploughing defenders so Beckford could benefit, but that swings back to Moyes's stubborn refusal to put two strikers on the pitch unless he is chasing a game.

Unlike Saha going for a year without scoring then hitting a green patch, I just can't see Anichebe doing the same as he's never been a prolific goal scorer in his entire career.
Derek Thomas
14   Posted 16/05/2011 at 10:46:31

Vic 91 games 7 goals.

Bernie Wright 10 games (+1 as sub) 3 goals. He might have had a poor professional / off-field attitude, but he tried on the field.

Worth 3 Vics...
Brian Lawlor
15   Posted 16/05/2011 at 10:57:27

"Inches away from bring a great goal"?? That is an utterly ridiculous statement. He should have scored but instead he hit the keeper.
Jimmy Hacking
16   Posted 16/05/2011 at 10:58:08

What frustrates me about Big Vic is that, despite playing poorly all season, he still gets chance after chance after sodding chance in the first team, whereas Gueye, Silva, Vaughan etc barely get a sniff. Where is it gonna end?

In 3 years time his stats will be:

Everton 2006 - present apps 173 goals 10
(I am assuming he will eventually score another goal...)
Terry Hayes
17   Posted 16/05/2011 at 10:57:13

David Hallwood (10), I think you have a good point. Moyes could be playing him to make a statement to the board by saying, "Without money, this is what you get." He may also be have told Vic, "Right, show me what you can do." ? last chance saloon in these last few meaningless games.
Dick Fearon
18   Posted 16/05/2011 at 10:31:49

Get off the lad's back and aim your criticsm at those most deserving of it. More than anyone in the first team pool, Victor is a Moyes creation forged by the maestro and his hand picked panel of coaching clones. From when he was in short pants he has been under the guidance of what can only be descibed as a gang of incompetents.

Countless hours of instruction from these clones (oops, I almost said clowns) has produced a player who cannot trap or shield or head or dribble or shoot, or read the play or withstand the slightest challenge and one whose whole attitude is not one expected of a professional footballer.

Who can Victor turn to for advice on fixing those weaknesses? Certainly not Moyes or his clones, their combined experience in the striking department amounts to a big fat zero.

For all his faults, the lad is merely the end result of a coaching set-up devoid of attacking expertise.

Phil Bellis
19   Posted 16/05/2011 at 12:32:49

Russell (#1) ? We won't be caught?

This already wasted, "lost" season will look even worse if we drop below Fulham and Stoke.

We may well need something from the Chelsea game.

Ben Jones
20   Posted 16/05/2011 at 12:52:18

I think the last two games gave me some belief. He did play pretty well in the last two games, especially in the first half against WBA. The best thing was his first touch, which was probably the worst part of his game now, but had improved.

He's got a chance if he maintains that level and improves, and doesn't go back to the crap Anichebe. Not too sure if that will happen again.
Matt Compton
21   Posted 16/05/2011 at 13:46:26

In fairness to the lad he has had a lot of injuries in his time. This must play on his mind. What I've seen in the last two games is an improvement in his attitude which is essential if he's to make it at the top level. This has resulted in better performances.

He needs to improve his first touch and technique. I largely think his injuries have stopped him developing in this regard. I stoppled playing football for a couple of years and came back and my first touch had gone as well until I played for a prolonged period of time in which it improved.

Perhaps this is happening with him? It shouldn't. He's a professional and he may just be shite. But he's all we've got really along with Beckford and Saha so hopefully he's gonna make it.
Colin Prendergast
22   Posted 16/05/2011 at 13:52:15

Matt #18, not sure you were getting 30 grand a week when you came back from injury.

Don't like to berate players but I can honestly say I have never been able to understand how Anichebe has got anywhere near our first team. His second touch is a tackle, he's got limited pace, doesn't use his strength effectively and, on the pitch at least, seems to have a totally piss poor attitude. Even Carl Leaburn would be ashamed of his record. When he first came onto the scene I just assumed he'd go the way of Chadwick, Jevons etc. Maybe a championship mid table team at best.

Even with injuries I'm amazed he's leading the line. I keep thinking maybe I'm missing something but then he plays and I realise I'm not. Need to try and blag someone to give us £2m before everyone else susses.
Alex Bonnar
23   Posted 16/05/2011 at 14:05:40

An alternative view:? forget what has happened before and give Vic a chance. I have a feeling that, with a few goals behind him (and he's getting closer and closer), we will see a player with confidence. Just watch the difference then.

He also needs to continue building up his strength so that he can 'bully' the opposition for the whole match. I think that this is coming from what I've seen and so do his team mates and trainers. If he goes, somebody else will benefit.

Tommy Gourlay
24   Posted 16/05/2011 at 13:58:23

As Gavin (#12) and Dick (#15) have said, a lone striker requires great finishing (but if they can play in midfielders for goals then this isn't critical), pace, power, and being able to read the play.

I've always said I feel Victor's biggest weakness is his inability to read play, to make the runs to stretch the defence and create holes. He often looks disinterested because defenders get to balls Vic looks nailed on to get to first, but it's because the defender anticipates the pass 2 seconds before Victor does. (and not because of his lack of effort)

That's the biggest reason I feel he's not good at being a lone striker, give him the ball at his feet though with space to run and he will 'rhino' his way through the defence....unless he falls......
Tom Bowers
25   Posted 16/05/2011 at 14:13:18

Playing a lone striker is a defeatist attitude which means the manager is looking for a draw first and foremost. When you go behind then the manager's Plan A is scuttled and panic sets in. Just look at Arsenal yesterday with Wenger deciding too late to bring on Chamakh and Bendtner to help out Van Persie. Okay Arsenal are not the perfect example as they can score from most positions but you see my point...

Anichebe has had his chances over the years but it is clear that he has little to offer except strength which is no good without something else. Moyes sees him differently which is yet another failing in the Moyes's make-up.

Tony J Williams
26   Posted 16/05/2011 at 14:17:52

The problem we face is that we have to play a lone striker because our midfielders aren't good enough for a 4-4-2. We fill our mifield to make up for the lack of quality.
Ray Robinson
27   Posted 16/05/2011 at 15:16:45

In all my years of following Everton (many), I have seen few more ineffective forwards but I have to agree that it's not his fault that he is picked. Quite what Moyes sees in him is inexplicable. All I can say is that he looks the part physically but there's no substance. I honestly think that he would struggle in the Championship. Don't like being disparaging but there you go, an honest opinion.
Mike Atherton
28   Posted 16/05/2011 at 15:42:19

For all the people who keep saying that playing one main forward is negative and we should be playing two, could you please tell me how many forwards Arsenal, Chelsea and Spurs play with?
Dennis Stevens
29   Posted 16/05/2011 at 16:47:47

Playing as the lone forward would be a tremendously demanding position for an accomplished Premier League striker possessing the strength, stamina, skill & pace for the role. It's hardly surprising so many of the forwards Moyes has asked to perform the role have fallen short, or been effective for only a short period of time. Especially when one considers the inadequacies of those playing behind them & the unvarying team tactics.
Tom Bowers
30   Posted 16/05/2011 at 17:49:41

Mike,
Arsenal: usually Van Persie and Nasri; Chelsea: usually Drogba and Anelka or Torres; Spurs: usually Defoe, Crouch/Pavlechenko.
Eric Myles
31   Posted 16/05/2011 at 18:09:48

Ben (#20), he's improved in the last 2 games in that I didn't see him dropping like a sniper had hit him, like the RS vs Spuds, but that's an improvement over 5 years and 91 games!!!

Too little, too late.
Andrew Gilbert
32   Posted 16/05/2011 at 19:26:47

Dave Wilson (#12).

Spot on!
Sean McCarthy
33   Posted 16/05/2011 at 20:16:46

He's just a really piss poor player. I'm not blaming him for all our woes by any means but, as this is a thread about the big pudding, that's my view. He will never be a Prem standard player and, if he were to leave, I'm extremely confident it wouldn't come back to haunt us!!

Every time I see him, I just wonder with increasing bemusement how he is playing for Everton Football Club

Mike Atherton
34   Posted 17/05/2011 at 08:33:42

Tom 31* ? Arsenal have played Van Persie on his own for weeks when he has been fit. Chelsea tried played Drogba and Torres then dropped one of them as it wasn't working (when Torres hadn't been signed yet they played Anelka wide). And Spurs have been playing one main striker with Van der Vaart off him all season. I think most people who watch the Premier League on a regular basis will back me up on this.
Tony J Williams
35   Posted 17/05/2011 at 09:47:23

Agreed Mike, look at Chelsea against Man Ure last week, Anelka and Torres on the bench with Drogba upfront on his own.

Spuds v The Shite, started with The Giraffe upfront with Van der Vaart in the Cahill Role (in fact much deeper).
Don Kiddick