Break the bank... Charles N'Zogbia

I've thought this for a while, I thought it again when I saw him make Tim Howard look like an amateur the other week and again today when he scored two great goals v West Ham.

The boy has something we really lack - pace and skill.

The core of our team is strong but with the exception of Beckford and Coleman we lack pace and with those two they don't have nearly the experience that N'Zogbia does.

I can't see the next transfer window passing without us losing at least one high profile player (Rodwell/Baines) plus with income from presumed sales of Yak and Yobo, surely we can muster up the £10mil (approx) it would take to prize N'Zogbia away?

I just think he's class and it would make my summer a lot happier if I knew I would be watching him pull on a blue shirt and running out at Goodison next season!
Ben Hunt, Manchester     Posted 16/05/2011 at 00:11:27

Comments

Brian Williams
1   Posted 16/05/2011 at 04:15:24

So it's that time again and it's a question of will we sell one of our top players. There's already speculation about Baines, Rodwell et al. Personally I'd let Rodwell go before Baines but the important thing is who we'd buy?

I've been watching one player in particular this season and I'd love us to get him, if not permanently at least on loan: Daniel Sturridge. He'd be brilliant for us I reckon.

Secondly I'd go for Charles N'Zogbia from Wigan, and lastly I'd go for Demba Ba. All relatively young, all pacey (Ba admittedly not as much as the other two) and all able to SCORE GOALS!

I wonder if I wrote to Jim'll Fix it?

Kunal Desai
2   Posted 16/05/2011 at 07:48:25

Let's put this one to bed. It's NOT going to happen. Why? because he will go elsewhere: to either the Shite ? who are looking for a left sided midfielder; Villa ? a potential replacement for Ashley Young; or possibly Spurs ? a replacement for Bale. His excessively high wages demands is enough for him to rule us out, together with the £10M+ transfer fee Wigan will demand regardless of whether they stay up. So, in a nutshell, this won't happen.
Eugene Ruane
3   Posted 16/05/2011 at 08:16:34

Ben, I think you meant 'break INTO the bank' (nb: that's the only way we're getting N'Zogbia).
Jimmy Saville
4   Posted 16/05/2011 at 08:25:22

Dear Brian,

Unfortunately Jim won't be able to fix this one. Everton are mighty broke. Try looking in the lower divisions for your transfer treats.

All the best,

Jim.
Jamie Anderson
5   Posted 16/05/2011 at 09:14:41

I agree Ben. If only we had some money for the fella. Think that Rodallega, Kranjcar, N'Zogbia and Zamora would all be decent options too.
Peter Laing
6   Posted 16/05/2011 at 09:25:45

Absolutely no chance of signing N'Zogbia, Parker, Zamora or any other marque signings whilst Kenwright remains in control of his trainset. I expect there to be outgoings to balance the books: take your pick from Fellaini, Baines and Rodwell through the exit door.

I have taken the option to not renew my season ticket this year after over 10 years and adopt the pay-as-you-play mentality as progress next season will be even harder.

David Hallwood
7   Posted 16/05/2011 at 10:14:57

N'Zogbia a great shout but no chance for reasons given, Victor Moses would be worth a punt, but would that be one Vic too many.
Gareth Mercer
8   Posted 16/05/2011 at 10:21:54

If we do have to sell an asset, I would like to see a couple arrive from a list that includes:

- N'Zogbia
- Moses (if Wigan get relegated could be cheap)
- Jennings (Tranmere)
- Joe Cole?
- Kranjcar
- Sturridge

But, most of these players would be far less than £10m each. What about the big striker we need? Unless it's a real gamble, you are looking at most of the money we will get from any sale just on the front man. I would love to see Sturridge at Everton though. Great player.

Gavin Ramejkis
9   Posted 16/05/2011 at 10:27:19

I could give you about 10 million reasons why we won't get him all starting with £, with Billy Bullshitter at the helm expect £0.00 for transfers unless DM sells someone and even then a slice of whatever he sells will go to keep the banks at bay for a few more months.

A few teams looked at Moses, reputedly Moyes did too and said no before he went to Wigan. We are desperately short of pace and need a few places sorting out; at least one striker and at least one preferably two fast wingers. Expect the same as this season ? a one-way door, players out and fuck all back in of any note.
Antony Matthews
10   Posted 16/05/2011 at 10:36:07

N'Zogbia left Newcastle to go to Wigan, so maybe it's not all about money with him. If we do buy him, Moyes will soon have him as a central defensive midfielder playing rubbish. Nobody will join us unless we are the only ones interested in them.

Let's face it, if you had the choice, Everton would not be high up on your list at the moment to join. New investment or new owners are needed, not players. Throw in a new manager as well!

Jimmy Hacking
11   Posted 16/05/2011 at 11:03:10

N'Zogbia would be a great buy, a dangerous winger who knows where the back of the net is. I wouldn't pay more than about £11 million for him though. I can see Villa or Liverpool bidding maybe £15 mill and pricing us out of contention.
Ben Howard
12   Posted 16/05/2011 at 11:12:36

I totally agree with the OP. He's exactly what we need and I thought I might post this myself today after watching his display at the weekend. Thought better of it due to FM insults!
Ian Kearney
13   Posted 16/05/2011 at 11:23:08

Its pretty pointless to be talking about selling Rodwell until or unless Fellaini signs a new deal.
Dick Fearon
14   Posted 16/05/2011 at 11:19:46

Is it in our best interest to keep the banks at bay? The RBS that forced the RS to appoint Broughton who was little more than a bankruptcy receiver. They have gone from strength to strength while we still flounder in a depressing financial backwater.
Dave Wilson
15   Posted 16/05/2011 at 11:51:11

We don't buy players anymore.

Kenwright Out!
Joshua Law
16   Posted 16/05/2011 at 11:50:11

I absolutely agree and have been thinking about this all year. Certainly one of my top 5 players outside of Everton, attacking and exciting to watch.

We would have French connections all the way up the park, DIstin, Gueye, N'Zogbia, Saha as well as Felliani and Arteta who speak French...
Charlie Percival
17   Posted 16/05/2011 at 12:36:30

Joshua (16) the way we've played this season, I think we have 25 different languages in our squad.
Peter Laing
18   Posted 16/05/2011 at 12:40:16

Great sentiments, Joshua, with the French Connection (excuse the High Street reference pun), however, as N'Zogbia is the main man at Wigan I would expect the wiley old Dave Whelan to be extracting top dollar from whoever makes a bid. That counts Everton well and truly out of the equation as we will have an identical transfer kitty to that of last pre-season. The infuriating factor is that David Moyes probably only needs £40-50 million to strengthen the team / squad and we would then be not a million miles away from challenging for the Champions League places.
Dave Lynch
19   Posted 16/05/2011 at 13:18:02

You could give Moyes £20 million. We would still be watching the same old shite week-in, week-out.
Anthony Millington
20   Posted 16/05/2011 at 13:36:40

We should have signed him when he left Newcastle! But instead we end up splashing out more money on Bily with no pace!
Tom Bowers
21   Posted 16/05/2011 at 14:04:50

Yes, I was only thinking about N'Zogbia yesterday and how we might do a swap for Bily but who would want him except maybe a Championsip club which Wigan may still become this week. However, we always seem to find reasons not to bring in possible available players with class and I would therefore not like to be hanging by my thumbs over any possible deals over the Summer.

Yes, we have had some very good buys over the years but we are still hanging on to some players who are not up to par and they will still be here next season if Moyes is. Enough has been said this season about the ''usual suspects'' but they still play and they still perform inconsistantly and Everton remain a mid-table outfit. We are not even 100% sure about 7th place yet for what it is worth.,

Tony J Williams
22   Posted 16/05/2011 at 14:15:39

"However, we always seem to find reasons not to bring in possible available players with class" ? Yeah, it's usually the fact that we can't afford them, their wages, and if they are that good, the better sides get them before us.
Richard Parker
23   Posted 16/05/2011 at 15:05:05

Fellaini coming back from injury will be like a new signing next season.
Ray Robinson
24   Posted 16/05/2011 at 15:28:30

N'Zogbia's star has risen so far this season that he wouldn't come to us ? even if we could afford him!
Martin Mason
25   Posted 16/05/2011 at 15:40:07

N'Zogbia has a lot of choice and it'll be the wages he's offered that decides where he goes... it won't be to Everton. He is bloody good but I can't remember him being so at Newcastle? The best money we could spend perhaps is to poach West Brom's head scout.
Nick Armitage
26   Posted 16/05/2011 at 16:47:51

N'Zogbia joining Everton ? more chance of seeing a cow jump over the moon.
Joe McMahon
27   Posted 16/05/2011 at 19:33:55

I'm not sure N'Zogbia could play defensive midfield or even back-up centre-half. Even if we did have the money, it just won't happen.
Paul Rimmer
28   Posted 16/05/2011 at 20:24:37

A cheaper option may be Swansea's Nathan Dyer if they don't go up.
Andy Crooks
29   Posted 16/05/2011 at 20:31:58

If we sign Bothroyd, the bank will be well and truly broken.
Robert Pullan
30   Posted 17/05/2011 at 09:56:22

I think he's a talented player and we definitely need some pace back in the side. However I question whether his personality would fit into Moyes's team ethic.

At Newcastle, he was always angling for a move, speaking to the press every month. Also, he was about to sign for Birmingham this season and then, at the very last second, demanded an extra £10k a week. Birmingham were that outraged they stopped negotiations immediately.

I suspect he would flourish at Everton but would be off to the highest bidder the minute he got the chance.

It's a pass for me, I'm afraid!
Brett Kemp
31   Posted 18/05/2011 at 14:59:24

The Metro are reporting that we are set to bid for Defoe as he isn't getting games. Personally, I would love Defoe: proven goal scorer with pace and a great finisher.