True blue-Dave Jones next Everton manager?

Why dont we give ex-blue Davey Jones the chance to manage his home town club? He's done well at other clubs and imagine how well he could do at a club that he supports and played for.

Above all else, he will understand the supporters -- unlike Celtic supporter Moyes!
Paul Holmes, Widnes     Posted 18/05/2011 at 09:31:19

Comments

Alan Clarke
1   Posted 18/05/2011 at 14:51:26

Nil satis hey?
Jimmy Hacking
2   Posted 18/05/2011 at 14:55:58

We could do a lot worse. it's hardly reaching for the stars though, is it? Can't see him doing any better than Moyes to be honest.
Steve Collins
3   Posted 18/05/2011 at 14:53:23

Apart from being the FA Cup Runners-Up with Cardiff, his record as a manager is scetchy at best. The only real shot in the Permier League he had was with Wolves and they were relegated.

Obviously he never got to finish out with Southampton due to the child abuse allegations but he wasn't exactly doing great there pre the allegations, if memory serves.

He has failed to get Cardiff promoted 3 times now after spending quite a bit of their cash. I am all for the idea there is the perfect Evertonian out there to manage us but let's be realistic: we need a miracle worker ? not an average manager with an average record.

In any case, Moyes is making a lot of cash being our manager. I cannot see him walking out on the remainder of his contract. He will continue to make threats but he will never follow through. Going to Villa would be a like-for-like job ? they are in a similar predicement to us. If he was to leave, I doubt we could afford anyone big or decent.

Tony J Williams
4   Posted 18/05/2011 at 15:11:11

Nil Satis indeed Alan, let's name a manager who has just failed to get his team into the play-off final last night. Booed off at half-time. Reach for the stars Paul.
Liam Reilly
5   Posted 18/05/2011 at 15:11:13

Will probably get hung for this but, Moyes is not the problem; lack of investment is and our shareholders holding out for a big undeserved settlement, to clear off.

Be interesting to see if Moyes did go to Villa and was backed by Learner with cash to rebuild, how he would get on.
Christian McCarthy
6   Posted 18/05/2011 at 15:19:30

Being from Cardiff and having seen Jones's side in action many times, I can tell you that when the chips are down, you can guarantee a DJ team will bottle it. Cardiff were booed off again because it's happened time after time.
Norman Merrill
7   Posted 18/05/2011 at 15:26:48

Considering that Moyes is not going anywhere, I await Avram Grant's name to appear, as he IS out of work. Those comments would be worth reading.
Dave Lynch
8   Posted 18/05/2011 at 15:37:17

As much as I want rid of Moyes, Jones is not the answer.

Please don't ask me who the answer is, as I don't know the answer to that either.

Unless there is a world class manager with the surname answer, then he would be the answer...

I'm going for a lie down.
Giles Larkman
9   Posted 18/05/2011 at 16:51:14

Ideally the next manager would be a manager who won something, or is an up-and-comer. Personally, I quite like the idea of installing (in a couple of years) Phil Neville as manager. Let's face it, he got the man-management skills and he's played in a winning set-up before.

I also wouldn't base my appointment on who the individual supported or had previously played for.

But seriously, David Jones? In no way could you convince me that that would be a step anywhere but backwards.
Trevor Mackie
10   Posted 18/05/2011 at 16:18:15

Evertonian he may be... but he has the same wearied aura as Moyes, Allardyce, McCarthy, Bruce, Avram Grant et al.

This club needs an infusion of enthusiasm, a breath of fresh air ? after Walter and Davey, surely we've had enough "woe is me" to last a lifetime???

Football folk who can't crack a smile despite all they have seem deficient in character to me.

I've said Martinez a few times... essentially he's one of the few managers at any level who's made a difference; he transformed Swansea (make no mistake, the play-off position is largely his work). His default is offensive rather than defensive football and, despite inheriting some real duffers from Steve Bruce and the impossible circumstances of Wigan, he hasn't sulked, gone hoofball, or given up.
Don Kiddick
11   Posted 18/05/2011 at 17:25:56

I would rather have the lump known as "Big Vic" as manager... not player manager though, then at least I can breath a sigh of relief every matchday knowing the big useless lump is not spearheading our attack.
Richard Parker
12   Posted 18/05/2011 at 17:25:50

One Davey for another, Moyes for Jones..... let's see...... hmmmm, are you serious?

For all the things that Moyes is or isn't, if he moves on, it's a tough job to pick up and Jones certainly isn't the man to do it. I don't know who would be brave enough to do it.

Taking over at Everton is virtually a lose/lose situation for a manager... there are zero guarantees that a new manager would be any good, he will have nothing to spend (except 75k per week saved on DM's salary) and he has to follow Moyes who, wether you like him or not, has plaudits thrown at him regularly.

Taking Everton to the level above means a top-4 challenge each season. Plus, the expectations of the fans means the chances of 'success' at Everton for a new manager are minimal. I certainly can't think of a manager who I would be prepared to bet on taking Everton forward within the current parameters of the job.
Mark Stone
13   Posted 18/05/2011 at 17:36:39

"Why dont we give ex-blue Davey Jones the chance to manage his home town club?"

Am I missing something here? Has David Moyes left or been sacked? If not, then the answer is because we currently have the manager who finishes top of the 'non extravagant spenders' every year.

Its absurd to think about getting rid of a manger for not 'hugely overachieving'.
Robert Pullan
14   Posted 18/05/2011 at 17:49:52

Arguably Dave Jones should be sacked as manager of Cardiff. Two years he's had the best squad in the Championship and two years he's underachieved. Not good enough for Cardiff and not good enough for Everton.

I've yet to hear anyone suggested who would do a better job than David Moyes. I know it's been frustrating under him recently but he's the best manager for the club in present circumstances.
Mike Allison
15   Posted 18/05/2011 at 18:07:13

Because we've already got a better manager than him. And who gives one if the manager supports us? It doesn't change his ability to do his job.
Danny James
16   Posted 18/05/2011 at 18:42:05

If people want a new manager because they feel we can finish 7th playing more attractive football then so be it. However, if people think by getting a new manager we could suddenly be challenging for top four year on year then they are seriously deluded. No manager could take us higher in the league than Moyes.

The six clubs above us are pulling away because of their spending power ? not because our manager isn't good enough to take us higher. Would Shitteh be in the top four and FA Cup Winners if they had £1 million a year to spend instead of the £400 million they have spent over the last few years?

Moyes was getting Everton better and better on a modest budget and then the money just stopped and we are drifting behind teams now instead of keeping up with them. His only option is to sell players to raise funds. This means in order to add players to our team we have to first make it significantly weaker so we are always taking one step backwards in order to take one step forwards. We end up staying the same as other teams are continually moving forward.

This is why I can believe he would go to a club like Villa. He may not get a huge budget there but he wouldn't have to sell to buy so he could feel he could constantly gradually improve his team each season.

It must be so frustrating to have built a half-decent team and be forced to watch it get dismantled bit by bit through players leaving for more money and Champions League. Also watching those who stay loyal to the cause getting older each season knowing we don't have the money from their sale to replace them once their legs go...

Dean Adams
17   Posted 18/05/2011 at 18:59:41

Martinez is a class act, plays proper football and with the better players we have would make us enjoyable to watch. Do we really want to be good to watch? Gus Poyet has done a similar job at Brighton, made them good to watch and play on the deck.

When Davey goes then we should be looking for some fun at Goodison, you know... free-flowing attacking football. 5-4 to the toffees is better than the laboured and tired slow mechanical stuff we play.

Andy Crooks
18   Posted 18/05/2011 at 19:11:11

David Jones is a sound bloke whom I admire a lot. I'd rather keep David Moyes than have him. This summer promises to be duller than ever, would Jones give us the lift we need? Not in a million years.
Mark Pierpoint
19   Posted 18/05/2011 at 19:31:50

No chance. I struggle to see the sense at all. Kenwright must understand us better than the new chairman we crave because he is a fan as well.

If Moyes ever left, that he won't, there are loads of managers before him:

Martinez
Lambert
Poyet
Grayson
Rodgers
David Mathieson
20   Posted 18/05/2011 at 19:58:25

Seems like your scratching round in Davy Jones's Locker. I wouldn't mind Glen Hoddle.
Joe McMahon
21   Posted 18/05/2011 at 20:02:23

Please no. Good budget at Cardiff, still no promotion. We already have a manger who failed to get promotion to the Premier League.

I'd love Martinez.

Can't see Gus Poyet leaving cosmopolitan Brighton for the north.

Charlie Percival
22   Posted 18/05/2011 at 20:05:59

Phil Neville next Everton manager... FACT!
Mark Stone
23   Posted 18/05/2011 at 20:07:47

'We already have a manager who failed to get promotion to the Premier League'

Somewhat harsh. After getting Preston promoted to the Championship, Moyes got them to the play-off final the very next season. The next season he came us. Hardly 'failure' by any means.
Joe McMahon
24   Posted 18/05/2011 at 20:26:13

Mark ? I agree maybe I was a bit harsh. I'm just sick and tired of boring slow negative football. The Swansea Forrest match the other day was a joy to watch. Then I see us away at West Ham and WBA.
Tony McNulty
25   Posted 18/05/2011 at 20:26:59

Based on his track record to date, if Jones is the answer, what the fuck was the question?
Ian Kearney
26   Posted 18/05/2011 at 20:34:25

Imagine having to hear Neville's cliche-ridden bollocks after every match as well!!
Jamie Tulacz
27   Posted 18/05/2011 at 21:15:09

Is that the same Roberto Martinez that's taken Wigan to the bottom 3 this season? I do like the man, but I don't see why he'd do any better.

I just don't see why we need a new manager ? the only reason given seems to be to play some champagne football. Pretty hard to do that and be successful without plenty of cash though...
Andrew Presly
28   Posted 18/05/2011 at 21:41:16

The OP has just reminded me of right back Paul Holmes, unless you are he. For that alone, shame on you. Although I have always thrown DJ's name into the ring as a cut price Moyesie alternative... still no though.
Marcus Kendall
29   Posted 18/05/2011 at 22:31:19

Some absurd suggestions here!

Dave Jones, as someone pointed, he should be sacked for failing at Cardiff

Roberto Martinez??????? Have you seen where Wigan are in the league? Steve Bruce did a better job there and he's appalling!

Only manager I'd take is Gus Poyet but I've been saying that for ages now.
Iain Love
30   Posted 18/05/2011 at 22:27:57

I can't believe some of the shite put on here sometimes!!! Moyes ain't perfect, he's overly defensive, tactically naive, and he support Celtic ffs, but during his tenure we have got a younger, better squad and have spent less than most.

It's imbecilic to believe that we can push on to be a top 4 club without significant investment. Upto the start of this season we're number 10 in the Premier spending league and I would guess lower than that in the last 3yrs. Chelski have a net spend of over £366 mil, Citeh £300mil, The Redshite £200mil, Spurs £176mil... I could go on. US £54mil thats £146mil less than Liverpool who will finish this season 1 maybe 2 places above us or Spurs who've spent £122mil more.

Imagine injecting say £100mil into our present team then if Moyes fucks up slag him off and go for a no-mark done-nowt like Jones... just because he's a blue.

Glen Anderson
31   Posted 18/05/2011 at 23:14:08

Iain Love #30 ? Couldn't have said it better myself. Moyes is rightly lauded by his peers who know exactly how hard the job is and how well he is doing it. Fans on TW are unduly harsh on the man. They want free flowing attacking football (don't we all), but there's no realism in the criticism.

We are skint, Moyes is doing well just to keep us where we are and I think he'll be with us a lot longer than most think on this site. I just hope he finally gets lucky with a striker or two so we can challenge the more monied clubs.

Richard Murray
32   Posted 18/05/2011 at 23:29:47

Paul Holmes ? I remember reading an interview with a player once in the matchday programme. Apparently he had the worst dress sense in the squad. A very bad brown jumper was mentioned.
John Ford
33   Posted 18/05/2011 at 23:25:06

'Chelski have a net spend of over £366 mil, Citeh £300mil, The Redshite £200mil, Spurs £176mil... i could go on. US: £54mil ? that's £146mil less than Liverpool who will finish this season 1 maybe 2 places above us, or Spurs who've spent £122mil more."

It's worth quoting Iains spending facts.

Moaning about not having enough attacking prowess (and a manager not smiling enough!) is inconsequential when you see the blindingly obvious reason why we're not a top four team.

We have a manager who does more with a limited budget than any other.
Sam Morrison
34   Posted 18/05/2011 at 23:55:58

Sorry, I'm a bit drunk, so I may have misread this. I'll look again tomorrow and see if it makes sense.
Brendan O'Doherty
35   Posted 19/05/2011 at 02:51:33

"Unlike Celtic supporter Moyes!"

Confusing. Moyes may have played for Celtic during his career and have an affinity for the club, but I doubt very much he would be classed as a 'supporter', coming as he does from the 'other' side of Glasgow.

If BK sacks Moyes and appoints Dave Jones the end really will be nigh.

Jon Butcher
36   Posted 19/05/2011 at 07:48:24

Terry Venables would be the best replacement for David Moyes, when he does get the boot or has had enough...
Erik Dols
37   Posted 19/05/2011 at 08:55:47

To quote Ted Striker in the movie Airplane:

"Surely, you can't be serious?"
Tony J Williams
38   Posted 19/05/2011 at 09:06:17

They are serious, and don't call me Shirley
Marcus Kendall
39   Posted 19/05/2011 at 12:45:34

A wind up surely Jon Butcher?
Kev Lacey
40   Posted 19/05/2011 at 12:42:59

I've felt for a while Dave Jones is stitched on to replace Moyes when he leaves. can't say i'd be overly thrilled but the board would need someone cheap who'd work under piss poor circumstances - i.e. an Evertonian would take the job for the honour and privilege despite the situation they'd be in
Chris Rudd
41   Posted 19/05/2011 at 13:29:52

Dave Jones? I'd rather have Davy Jones! Are the Monkees still touring? Did you watch Cardiff the other night? That Micky Dolenz is mustard!

Christ I'm glad this season's nearly over - some of the names mentioned on here are just incredible. Martinez? Holloway? Why not Grant, Kean and McLeish to complete the set of downwardly mobile managers.

And Venables for fecks sake! Are we opening a cabaret bar?

Last time I looked Moyes was going nowhere and if he does I want a manager to replace him not a soddin' supporter. Did old baconface support United before he headed South?

Let's get back to talking about players who we have no chance of signing in the summer with money we haven't got. Will a new manager change that? Thought not.

I think I need a lie down.
Marcus Kendall
42   Posted 19/05/2011 at 13:47:44

Well put, Chris!

Sure Moyes isn't the greatest and his decisions baffle me constantly but the suggestions on here 95% of the time are plainly ridiculous!

However, I feel Poyet will be a brilliant manager and I'd love to see him at Everton. But, as the poster above put, I can actually see Dave Jones being appointed as he's big mates with Kenwright.
Trevor Mackie
43   Posted 19/05/2011 at 14:57:14

@ 41 ? "lie down" ? deflate more likely after so much hot air.
David Mathieson
44   Posted 19/05/2011 at 14:29:37

#30 ? I would like to see the stats you are quoting to do with money spent by Premier League teams & Everton being 10th is that since Moyes has been in charge? Or overall in the Premier League?

Moyes has, if you included this season, ten league finishes under his belt as Everton manager. If you include this season as a 7th or 8th place finish, Moyes has a mean average of 9th & a bimodal average of 5th & 7th or 8th (dependent on this seasons finish) for league finishes. During this time period we have gained entry into the Europa League on two occasions, been runners up in the FA Cup, lost a Champions League Qualifier & lost two Europa League Qualifiers.

The ten league finishes prior to Moyes, Everton have had few managers I shall not name & shame but we have not done as bad as one might have thought. We have a mean average of 14th, as well as a tri-modal average of 13th 15th 17th for league finishes. During this period we won the FA Cup & the Charity Shield; we also made an appearance in the Cup Winners Cup.

I would prefer the ten seasons prior to Moyes, Moyes does win on the League mean average finishes 9th & 14th but in my opinion the Europa League is a joke & the Cup Winners Cup was a far better competition. I also would swap Moyes?s strong bimodal average for a low tri-modal average & a couple of cups, even if the Charity Shield was one of them; trophies are all that matter.

It is worth taking into account if Everton are tenth in the overall top spenders in the Premier League, Moyes has not excelled with his mean average of finishes as some people seem to conclude & the ten seasons prior we did not massively underachieve, although we should have done better, considering most people recognise a direct correlation between spending and league finishes.

The only stone left unturned in my mind is how much of a backing did the previous managers have in comparison to Moyes? ? ie, over each ten-year period, where does our spending land in a table? My assumption is that Moyes over the last ten seasons has had more backing than the managers in the previous ten seasons before him. I wonder if they could have improved their average league finishes if they had a reasonable backing like Moyes, such as Joe Royle being able to sign Flo, etc?

Chris Rudd
45   Posted 19/05/2011 at 15:28:36

Trevor ? if you think that was hot air, here's a fact about your man Martinez, who you said, and I quote...

"Essentially he's one of the few managers at any level who's made a difference."

You're right, he's certainly made a difference at Wigan. Steve Bruce had a win ratio of just over 35%. Senor Martinez has brought that down to just 25%.

And Moyes at Everton ? just over 41%. But, hey rather a smiling failure than our very own misery guts.
Alan Clarke
46   Posted 19/05/2011 at 16:07:07

This thread shows how Kenwright has lowered everyone's expectations. Some of the suggestions for managers are ridiculous. Glenn Hoddle made me laugh. Spurs fans really wanted him because they thought he'd bring attacking football. In the end they couldn't wait to see the back of him because of his dull and boring approach to football!

Moyes should only ever go if someone better could take over. None of the suggestions in this thread are better. Some are like for like but I don't think any of them are better. The problem we have is there is no-one better whilst we're in such a shite financial position. However, if a billionaire did take over, I'd want Moyes out like a shot because better managers would then be available.
Andy Crooks
47   Posted 19/05/2011 at 17:39:59

Now there's a thing. I'm in full agreement with Brendan O'Doherty. Alan Clarke, who would excite you more this summer, Hoddle or Moyes?
David Holroyd
48   Posted 19/05/2011 at 17:35:56

Moyes ain't going nowhere, he is on too good a thing. KENWRIGHT OUT!
Trevor Mackie
49   Posted 19/05/2011 at 16:53:42

Chris

There's a riposte about statistics, lies etc as there is about pissing against the wind so I won't bother.

Admittedly comparing Swansea and Everton is not comparing apples with apples but I'd argue the same about comparisons with Wigan ? particularly after Bruce ? did he sign Titus Bramble?

My endorsement of Martinez is based upon his ability to actually make a marked positive difference to a club as he did at Swansea as well as more prosaic factors like he might be cheap and lives in the area!

I can think of only Coyle at Burnley and latterly Bolton, Tony Pulis at Stoke and Ian Holloway at Blackpool who have risen similarly to their individual challenges. Other names popularly raised ? Poyet and Lambert represent teams I haven't seen.

If Moyes is your man, I know there's no changing... but I see no imminent financial change at Everton and consequently no change under Moyes and, being brutal about it, I'm bored shitless with it all.

I would like us to gamble now. To attempt to rid ourselves of the fear surrounding the club; for that, we need the polar opposite of the Moyes mindset. If not Martinez then someone of that ilk, a believer in creativity and all the risks that go with it.

We are selfish if we just hang on to Prem survival and offer no challenge ? we may justify this era with that solitary aim ? but it is the glory that success, or at least attempting to succeed, brings the next generation of fans, and we should be mindful of that.

People of the Wirral, North Wales, Cheshire and the surrounding areas have become fans of Everton and Liverpool rather than Tranmere for one simple reason: at heart, we're all glory hunters.
Andy Crooks
50   Posted 19/05/2011 at 18:40:37

Trevor, your phrase "To attempt to rid ourselves of the fear surrounding the club" really describes what is required. At present we are in a comfort zone which I believe we will very slowly slide out of unless a chance is taken. Kenwright will not go while he draws breath nor will he sack Moyes.

I have long wanted Moyes to go but have come round to the view that he should go, amicably, by choice and with the respect of Evertonians. In other words, Aston Villa should pay us compensation and take him. This is where the gamble lies; Kenwright appointing a successor. Not a safe pair of hands ? Reid, Jones, Royle etc ? but a gamble: Hoddle. Lambert or Poyet. Tread water and slowly drown... or go for it.

Dave Wilson
51   Posted 19/05/2011 at 20:34:11

Alan Clarke

You get more befuddled by the day lad.

You say you're throwing your hand in next season because you don't like Moyes`s style of play, in fact you have moaned like fuck all season for him to go... now you can't think of anyone better. Not like you to do a complete U-turn at the drop of a hat.

The guy who gets your seat will feel like he`s on the Waltzers.
Alan Clarke
52   Posted 19/05/2011 at 20:55:39

Hang on, Dave, your post on this thread is the biggest U-turn. You've wanked off all season about Moyes being a great manager and now you're saying Glenn Hoddle would be better? Fuckin hell.

All season, I've been slating the whole fucking set up at Everton. I will continue to slate the whole set up. The board are ruining us, the manager is dour and defensive and the football on display is crap to watch. The fans are apathetic and don't seem to give a shit.

I don't think my stance has changed. As long as we have no money, there's no point in changing the manager. All the suggestions on this thread show it's either shit for shit or shit for even shitter. BUT if by some miracle a billionaire takes over, we'll be able to attract a top manager and I would very happily wave Moyes off.
Dave Wilson
53   Posted 19/05/2011 at 21:27:44

Alan Clarke.

I said if Moyes fucked off we could do worse than Glen Hoddle, not quite the same... and you won't find a post where I call Moyes a great manager ? you made that up. I just dont buy the ridiculous claims that he is responsible for all our problems.

I`ve been saying all season that Moyes should stay as long as Kenwrght is here; it's called consistency. Nice to see your finally turned a full 360 and you want him to stay too.
Anthony Lamb
54   Posted 19/05/2011 at 21:21:47

Whatever the merits and/or demerits of Mr Moyes ? his successes and/or his failures ? and, even if talk of his successor may be somewhat premature and without any foundations, is it not about time that there was a note of realism and adulthood about the issue and that all talk about any future manager being a "true blue", "Evertonian at heart", "supporter" etc is put quietly but quickly to sleep!

These managers are people in a competitive business with the prospect of untold riches if they manage to manage in the higher leagues. To see them as "supporters" who have made good is preposterous. This talk of Everton needing a "true blue" has bedevilled this debate for too long. Mr Jones may well be in danger of becoming a contemporary successor to the ludicrous past suggestions such as Peter Reid!!

If there has to be a change of manager ? as there must be at SOME time in the future then please let us inject a note of realistic, yet demanding criteria. Who the said person might be is beyond my compass but I would hope and pray that it would be someone with managerial/coaching talents, degrees of experience and success in related areas; a commitment to the enhancement of the game and a desire to serve his employers to the best of that ability and to help the club progress and be successful across a number of important areas and to take the club as a whole beyond the levels in which he found it.

Obviously a particular quality would be that he has an insight into, and respect for, the culture, historical traditions, and aspirations of the particular club but that quality by no means necessarily demands that he have been part of that club in the past or be related to it today. When you are paying obscene amounts of money to these people you want a little more than him being a 'native" of the city or a "supporter"!

James Flynn
55   Posted 19/05/2011 at 22:57:07

Moyes out? Jesus.

The difference between Moyes and Ferguson the last 10 years is money. So, switch the two since Moyes came to EFC; personnel and circumstance unchanged. Explain (and make it good) how the fortunes of EFC and Man Utd would be substantially different.

Managers are waaaaaay over-rated. Moyes and Ferguson are two who make a difference.

Ferguson, 10 years ago, says he's had enough managing the best-run soccer-club on earth. Needs a new challenge. "It's Everton or retirement" says he. Man Utd thanks him for his service and Merseyside he goes.

"This Moyes fellow looks promising. Let's try him," comes the word from Man Utd. He's hired.

Man Utd would still be passing the Shite this season (if not sooner). And EFC would still be "Punching above its weight".

Moyes is one of the handful of managers (any sport, anywhere) who matters.

We need money, not a new manager.
Jamie Sweet
56   Posted 20/05/2011 at 01:55:50

James Flynn, what complete twaddle!
Trevor Mackie
57   Posted 20/05/2011 at 09:14:51

James Flynn

I disagree, I suspect Moyes would be in the Alan Hansen camp of "you win nothing with kids" ? I just couldn't see him letting promising kids en masse into any team.

Ferguson would have snapped them up for £50 each and we'd be going to Wembley to play Barca.

You are half right ? SOME managers are overrated.
Chris Rudd
58   Posted 20/05/2011 at 09:04:54

Trevor: To be fair I wasn't comparing Wigan with Everton as much as Wigan (under Bruce who was more successful, even with Bramble) with Wigan (under Martinez) and, to be honest, I wouldn't say Moyes was 'my man'. I just think he's done a decent job under the circumstances but his demeanour and style of play on occasion does leave me, as clearly you, incredibly frustrated.

I just don't see changing to a weaker horse mid-stream as necessarily a wise move. A drop to the Championship would in my mind be catastrophic for this club. God only knows when we'd get back.

Lambert and Poyet have both done very well so far and I'd love to see Everton playing more stylish and progressive football, but they would still represent a risk.

I'm old enough to remember the great days of the 80s so I'm certainly not comfortable with ambling along in 7th place or thereabouts.

Your phrase about 'ridding ourself of the fear' is well made and a thought I have talked about before with my son who's view is that it may be smarter to keep Moyes and bring in a stronger, possibly continental Number Two with a far more attacking outlook, rather than a 'Yes' guy who basically seems like a Moyes clone, Steve Round.

This is probably more do-able than removing Moyes which I can't see Kenwright doing any time soon. Let's face it, unless big money arrives on a white charger, is anything going to change? I've said on another thread that we need something major to happen soon, that this slow stagnation will ultimately end up with the same result as taking the risk you advocate above ? it'll just take longer!

So, ultimately we probably want the same thing ? perhaps you're just less risk-averse than me when it comes to our football team.

Much as I'll sit at Goodison and enjoy hearing about the drama unfolding elsewhere on 'Survival Sunday', inside, I'll be very very happy that we're not involved.
Alistair Ford
59   Posted 20/05/2011 at 11:11:44

There are some great young managers in the lower leagues I would be happy to gamble on should the situation arise. A true test of a manager's value is what that team's supporters say about potentially losing him. Paul Lambert at Norwich seems the outstanding candidate ? two successive promotions for a team he managed against and thrashed 7-1 two years ago in League One. The Norwich fans worship the ground he walks on.

Gus Poyet has also worked wonders at Brighton, so I would take him.

This last one is a bit out of leftfield and I don't expect anyone to take it seriously as potential Everton candidate, but keep an eye out for Exeter City manager Paul Tidsdale. He's taken them from mid-table in the Conference right up to League One and this season, they've just had the highest league finish in their entire history, all the while playing expansive attacking football. He achieved it this year amidst the tragic death of their No 9, Adam Stansfield. I only mention it as my Exeter-based brother-in-law lives in a constant fear of him being snapped up by someone else!
David Mathieson
60   Posted 20/05/2011 at 13:17:18

James Flyn (55#) ? You seriously can't believe that? Comparing Moyes with Ferguson is like comparing shit with Gold. I bet you think 7th this year "is like winning the Champions League." Disgrace, in a nut-shell that is what is wrong with Everton, disgusting, the sad thing is many more who believe the same, little mentality. Telling you now Ferguson would never have come out with such crap that is why he is winner.

In my eyes, Moyes supporters are the ones who voted for Kirkby although you will not find many now who would own up to it.
Tony J Williams
61   Posted 20/05/2011 at 18:01:25

Yeah James, you are the reason we are where we are now, you specifically because you won't call Moyes a twat and don't leave out the start of sentences so they look much more sensational than they really are.

Way to go David, tell these young uns like it really is!
Dean Frank
62   Posted 23/05/2011 at 17:31:03

I don't think you get rid of Moyes. The problem isn't our manager as we all know. Besides, if Everton starts the manager revolving door, we don't have the appeal to attract the best managers. Moyes is loyal to Everton because we gave him a chance to manage in the top flight when others didn't. That's our only card we have right now. 7th with this team and injuries is pretty superb if you ask me.
Michael Brien
63   Posted 24/05/2011 at 07:12:13

Robert#14 - check your facts please. Cardiff City in the last 18 months have faced at least 2 winding up petitions. Under those circumstances to keep the club in that division would have been a great achievement... but to keep them in the promotion hunt has been a worthy of a Manager of the Year award.

Cardiff City supporters who booed their team and were taunting David Jones should be ashamed. He has taken that club within touching distance of the Premier League ? the closest they have ever been to the top flight in over 40 years. If they do part company with David Jones then watch Cardiff City sink like a stone.

As a potential Everton manager, yes, I think David Jones would do a very good job. He has shown that he can cope with pressure, both in the game at a personal level, and he has shown great strength and dignity.

And as regards a good budget, I think you will find that Cardiff City didn't have one of the biggest transfer budgets in the Championship. The Bellamy loan was largely funded by the parent club Manchester City. David Jones has regularly had to cope with seeing his best players "courted " by bigger/richer clubs and, considering that, he has done extremely well to maintain Cardiff City as a force in that division.