Members:   Log In Sign Up

Distin to Spurs???

The Daily Mail are reporting that dodgy Harry is looking at Distin as Bassong is on his way out.

Distin is reaching old age now and I'm afraid this was his last season at his best; I would certainly look at trying to get a swap deal with Bassong as I believe he is a more than capable replacement with pace and athleticism. He is a good player on the ball and also at a young age for a centre-back ? definitely worth a possibility...
Karl Bentham, Liverpool     Posted 19/05/2011 at 22:28:14

Comments

Andrew James
1   Posted 19/05/2011 at 23:54:00

I wish we still had Lescott and Jags in the middle BUT for the next two seasons I am sure Distin and Jags can do the job well. It is a shame we didn't buy Wheater who ended up at Bolton and, sooner or later, we will need to invest in a centre-back in their mid-20s.
Marcus Kendall
2   Posted 20/05/2011 at 00:32:35

Wheater is badly bad! He turns slower than Richard Dunne!
Stephen Leary
3   Posted 20/05/2011 at 01:16:04

Bassong is just another Yobo, decent but clumsy. I'd take Kranjcar for Distin, sell Rodwell and buy Roger Johnson at Birmingham. I think he's a very good defender, playing in a poor team. Scott Dann isn't half bad either and Bougherra at Rangers would be my other candidates.
Eric Myles
4   Posted 20/05/2011 at 02:19:58

If Spurs can't afford to pay the salary Bassong is looking for, we've got no chance of affording him ? unless a couple of our big earners are sold.
Steve Carter
5   Posted 20/05/2011 at 03:56:54

Well, speaking of 'pace and athleticism', despite his age, how many of our blokes are pacier or more athletic than Distin?
Jamie Sweet
6   Posted 20/05/2011 at 04:42:17

Good call Steve. He's had a very good season and been one of our few really consistent performers throughout.

Unfortunately, the small number of errors he has made have all seemed to be punished and that has taken the shine off a little.

He certainly looks in good enough shape for us to get at least two or three more seasons from him. Wouldn't swap him for Bassong no way.
Paul Gladwell
7   Posted 20/05/2011 at 06:50:20

What's the point, Spurs will only be offering £2M max, most probably less and how much will it cost to replace him? And then you will have the gelling-in period for the new signing.

We will be getting rid of enough players pre-season, so selling one of the rare few who pulled his weight this season for buttons would be just daft.

Chris Bannantyne
8   Posted 20/05/2011 at 07:01:02

I don't want Bassong. I saw a guy playing for Forest the other day. I think it was Morgan, but might have been Chambers. Anyway, he had an impressive game. I know it's the League One, but has anyone seen either of these guys play? And what do you think?

I'm basing my assessment off of one game. The fact is Distin is getting on, and yeah he might have a couple good seasons left, but when the time comes we will probably have to look at lower leaguers for a replacement.

So, from lower leagues only, who do you all think has potential?
Brett Kemp
9   Posted 20/05/2011 at 07:51:39

To the guy who said that it was daft to sell Distin, I don't want to sell but if Spurs want him the only deal available should be Bassong, Kranjcar etc. I don't want us to sell him as he is class.
Antony Matthews
10   Posted 20/05/2011 at 08:08:12

Mills from Reading has potential, but I suppose it depends if they get promoted.
Mike Gwyer
11   Posted 20/05/2011 at 08:17:34

Karl.

"Distin is reaching old age now and I'm afraid this was his last season at his best."

How do you know? Personally, I don't agree, I'm not saying the guy will go on forever but I do think he's good for another year. Anyway, if Harry's sniffing, you can be sure he thinks the same.
Sam Hoare
12   Posted 20/05/2011 at 08:24:43

Interesting that Yobo has gone something like 700 mins without conceeding in Turkey... Maybe he's finally cut those errors out, I always rated him as potentially a great defender.

Distin and Jags are pretty solid when both fit and given a run. Distin is super fit and I don't see his performance necessarily dropping off next season.
John Audsley
13   Posted 20/05/2011 at 08:35:36

Distin is still the man, okay he was poor against WBA but he wasn't alone.

Since Man Utd (h) he has been outstanding; I won't forgot his goals against the Shite and City for a while either.

True professional and super fit, he's a stayer.
Jason Lam
14   Posted 20/05/2011 at 08:35:40

Distin wins a lot of headers for us, the problem is the ocassional brain fart à la Yobo and Lescott. Those huge sliced tackles that just skim the surface of the ball are cringeworthy.

I don't think Heitinga is a proper replacement though. Someone with height but younger maybe.
Tommy Gourlay
15   Posted 20/05/2011 at 08:24:40

@ Chris (#8)

Morgan is a great player in the Championship and I think could easily make the step up, I've watched him and his former (before injury and desire to move on) centreback partner Kelvin Wilson just full-on dominate matches.

Weir and Stubbs lasted until about 35 though (although they should never have been played together at that age!) and until I see Distin lose his pace (which he still has far more of than Wheater and Senderos) then I think he should stay. Maybe he can stay long enough for Duffy to make his way through.
Dan McKie
16   Posted 20/05/2011 at 09:19:02

As far as centre-backs go, I dont think we are desperate if we manage to persuade Yobo to come back and fight for a place rather than selling. Keep Distin, like someone else mentioned, he is worth more to us than the fee we would get.

Then we would have Johnny, Jags, Yobo and Distin without having to spend anything. A decent fee for Yobo in the region of £5 million plus would sway me to the idea of getting a younger replacement though. Tomkins from West Ham perhaps, or Dann from Birmingham if they go down.

Tony Hale
17   Posted 20/05/2011 at 09:09:09

Two points to make here:

1) The Daily Mail make up transfer rumors for fun and therefore should never be believed;

2) 'onest 'Arry Redknapp would never buy one of our players on the cheap whilst they're in the last year of their contract... would he?
Adam Bennett
18   Posted 20/05/2011 at 09:37:51

Shock horror - the Daily Mail are linking an Everton player with a move.

Shock horror - ?appy ?arry is ?interested? in a player.

Boring.

Next.
Jamie Barlow
19   Posted 20/05/2011 at 10:10:28

Distin looks to me to be one of the fittest at the club. He's tall and plays on the left and I haven't seen many players beat him for pace. I can't see him losing his pace anytime soon, so unless he shrinks a couple of inches pre-season, we should keep him. Good player.
Kevin Gillen
20   Posted 20/05/2011 at 10:32:50

I love the Jason Lam "Brain fart" above. I have a son who plays centre of defence and will be using that tonight when he plays against Hull City U-14s.

I think I would keep Distin. Central defenders work in combinations, that sixth sense makes all the difference. He has been superb in the 2nd half of the season although I admit to calling for his head when Berbatov made a fool out of him at Goodison and wasn't impressed with that goal we conceded to West Brom. No wonder Moyes didn't want to talk to the press after that, never mind the ref.

David Hallwood
21   Posted 20/05/2011 at 10:44:18

Sell Distin and keep Johnny ? move him to his natural position. Simples!
Anthony Millington
22   Posted 20/05/2011 at 10:57:38

I'd do a swap, Distin hasn't got too many years left in him and we are going to need a more long-term left-sided centre-back. It would save us money doing a swap with Distin as in a few years we will end up getting next to nothing for Distin.

I'm pretty sure Distin got done for strength and pace by Odemwingie againt West Brom and stood and watched as a big gap opened up in the middle as Jags went across to cover Distin's error.
Steven Twine
23   Posted 20/05/2011 at 11:15:30

Get Roger Johnson ? one of the best in the Premier League. Him and Jags in the middle would be a perfect combination.
James Martin
24   Posted 20/05/2011 at 11:17:28

Keep Distin, shove him at left-back, play Baines left-mid, move Heitinga to centre-back. You'd get a stronger, more aerially dominant back four, a more defensively responsible left-back, and two no-nonsense centre-backs who don't make many Yobos. Moyes would also plus Pienaar's hole and put Bily out of his misery.
Andrew Ellams
25   Posted 20/05/2011 at 11:39:23

Tommy @ 14, Wes Morgan at Forest is a good shout. He is all the attributes to be a PL central defender and maybe a second successive play-off failure just may be enough to tempt him away.
Andrew Humphrey
26   Posted 20/05/2011 at 11:56:06

Re: Forest centre-backs... I was watching their playoff against Swansea with my Forest mate ? he rates Morgan but Chambers is the real talent. Reminds me of Jagielka at his peak and would be a sound investment. Probably not cheap as Forest ain't poor but I'd be happy with him.

Sorry for the fantasy Championship Manager talk!

Steven Hepworth
27   Posted 20/05/2011 at 12:09:40

I have to disagree with the Chambers and Morgan shouts. I live in the Notts area and see them play a lot as most of my mates support Forest - they are both decent Champ defenders, but lack pace and the ability to play the ball, to make the step-up, IMO!

However Guy Moussi (who we were linked with on a free) = shocking.
John Audsley
28   Posted 20/05/2011 at 12:27:31

Have to say, I quite like the idea of Distin at LB with Johnny in the Centre. Baines on the LW would give the opposition some problems.

It would be nice to see that against Chelsea but no chance.

Some very decent players at the top of the Championship at the moment as well but we ain't got a pot to piss in till we sell 1 or 2 "high profile" players.

And I agree about Moussi, terrible player.
Karl Meighan
29   Posted 20/05/2011 at 13:27:44

Distin has had a good season imo but been punished for the few errors he has made but i dont think we should be getting rid as he and Jageilka look as good as any pairing in the Prem.

If Brum go down Johnson or Dann who is a scouser i think would be a good signing, Johnson's a arl arse reads the game well and gives very little that isn't earned and Dann before he got injured big strong fairly quick a good tackler who was learning fast and has lots of improvement in him still would be a ideal partner for Jageilka.

Yobo and Heitinga could well be off so competition may be needed at centreback.

Moyes missed out on the lad from Cambridge i think, so unless Heitinga's away its likely only a young kid will be brought in which is ok as were fairly strong at the back.
Peter Warren
30   Posted 20/05/2011 at 14:09:43

GET DEFOE
Rob Murphy
31   Posted 20/05/2011 at 14:07:49

Sell Distin & Jags ? stick Duffy & Dier in next season.
Ray Robinson
32   Posted 20/05/2011 at 15:20:18

Distin has been consistent this season and, but for one or two gaffes, might have been player of the season. Jags has returned to form after a terrible start, so why break up that partnership?

I knew someone (David #20) would advocate selling him and using Heitinga but what use is a centre-back with no pace, poor heading ability, an attitude problem and bottled tackles? And yes, I know he played in the final of the World Cup!

Max Fine
33   Posted 20/05/2011 at 17:30:02

I would get rid of Distin in a heartbeat, as long as the offer was reasonable. No way is he worth the £55k a week he is currently pulling.

He regularly gets too close to his man and is caught on the wrong side of the opposition four or five times a match; his pace and strength have get him out of trouble a lot of the time but I'm not sure how long his luck can last...

Coming off the back of a semi-decent season, I'd get rid while his stock is still high. However, Moyes is so rigid with his formation that he'd insist on wanting a left-footer in Distin's current position ? and I'm not sure who else is out there.
Brian Waring
34   Posted 20/05/2011 at 18:03:33

It's funny how Distin gets stick on here, and Jags never does, even though Distin has been the better of the two.
Tony J Williams
35   Posted 20/05/2011 at 18:37:49

That because Distin doesn't make great recovery tackles ...(He usually wins the ball back before the need to but don't say that too loud to the Jags fans.)
David Hallwood
36   Posted 20/05/2011 at 19:08:03

But Ray #32, Johnny was a contender for our Player of the Season last season in his natural position. Like Jags (who was also played Def Mid), he doesn't look right there.
Ray Robinson
37   Posted 20/05/2011 at 19:56:32

David, not convinced by Heitinga's credentials to be a top class PL centre back, sorry.
Chris Bannantyne
38   Posted 21/05/2011 at 02:37:36

All I know is Heitinga killed it last season, didn't this season.

Whoever suggested playing Heitinga as cb alongside Jags, Distin lb and Baines lw, I would support giving that a shot.

In a season where almost nobody has played consistently in any one position, it's probably worth a crack.
Mark Pierpoint
39   Posted 21/05/2011 at 10:50:00

Going to do well Rob as Dier is only on loan until the end of the season.

I think that we could do without one of Jags or Distin. Move Heitinga back there, and i would be looking at Diame from Wigan to be the full time defensive midfield role. Real quality box to box midfielder alongside Felliani and Arteta.

For an extra centre back Johnson or Danns would be a gould tout though.
James Stewart
40   Posted 21/05/2011 at 14:25:33

I would drive Distin to Spurs personally. Complete waste of space.
Joseph Burrowes
41   Posted 22/05/2011 at 06:41:25

Jack Rodwell is supposedly the next England and United captain. Clearly I don't see it at all apart from some flashes of brilliance and his maturity for his age.

Honestly, I think we should sell him for the best possible price or send him out on loan to a lower Premier League club like Norwich or Wigan etc so he can play for a worse team and be the best player and get week-in week-out football which he needs. Look at Welbeck for example, and Cleverly... it could really put his price up.

I believe some fans wall say, "What about injuries?" and "What about the squad getting smaller?" but it's easy ? sign players on loan or for free if we have no money. For example, David Vaughan, Hitzelsberger who are free transfers or Reo-Coker or maybe buy good cheap players from shit teams like Noble, Gardner or maybe Steven Ireland if available as I believe he still has his best days ahead of him.

Jason Heng
42   Posted 23/05/2011 at 01:07:37

Is there such thing as being too old to be a good Everton centre-back?

Recall Dave Watson, Richard Gough, David Weir, Alan Stubbs...