Financing Everton

As a lifelong fan of our great club (55 years), I am very frustrated by the lack of potential investment in a club that has a long history, a great Manager and team but a board of directors who have failed many times in attracting finance to Everton FC.

I am also frustrated that we are always being the second club on Merseyside as far as success is concerned. That does not detract from the wonderful job David Moyes has done with one hand tied behind his back. Just think where we could be if we had some financial help.

We have supposedly tried attracting billionaires without success and the current directors are reluctant to part with their cash to help David; maybe these people do not believe in the potential our great club has.

This brings me to the main theme of this letter which is as follows:-

We are The People's Club with a worldwide fanbase ? Why do we not begin to help ourselves without outside people who do not understand the traditions of our great club? Why do we not set up a consortium of fans who will contribute whatever they can (small or large) to raise £50 million to give David to invest in our team?

This has not been done before but that should not stop us from trying; nothing ventured nothing gained. If we the lifeblood of the club cannot help ourselves then why should others? We want people who understand the club and what is required to move it forward... who better than the fans themselves?

It is a mammoth task but the rewards at the end are far greater and the satisfaction of being involved in helping the club has to be the greatest thing that True Fans can do for their club instead of standing on the sidelines while our club flounders.

I am more than happy to start this if there are like-minded fans out there to help.

Alan Pritchard, Spalding, Lincolnshire     Posted 23/05/2011 at 10:40:19

Comments

Chris Keightley
1   Posted 23/05/2011 at 15:56:59

What are we to do the following season and so forth?

And £50 million would be a massive amount to raise ? even if you asked each supporter to hand over a grand, that would raise just £30 million ? this is a rather pointless thread!!

Tom Mallows
2   Posted 23/05/2011 at 16:13:16

There is an argument to suggest that we already do contribute by buying season tickets, merchandise etc... but if something could be organised whereby fans could add to a pot to go towards easing the financial burden of the club, be it for some shares or whatever, I would give as much as I could and I'm sure many fans would do the same.

If it was that easy to do though, every club would be doing it! Maybe we should once again be pioneers in English football and force the club into a new, unique, fan driven & controlled era?

Ste Traverse
3   Posted 23/05/2011 at 16:32:53

Bar purchasing my season ticket,I wouldn't put another penny into the club to bail out Kenwright and his cronies in the boardroom whose lack of anykind of business plan has got us into this mess financially.

Never mind helping them out, just get them out.
Fran Mitchell
4   Posted 23/05/2011 at 17:11:21

How many fans do you think we have?

Considering a large number of those are on the dole, earning minimum wage along with the rather large financial crises going about with no end in sight.

Sorry, I enjoy football (not so much this season, mind) but I prefer food on my table.
Fran Mitchell
5   Posted 23/05/2011 at 17:14:09

Tom #2.

Its a wonderful idea, a fan controlled club. However it would be crushed without a huge amount of money.

If you are to have a revolution then everyone needs to get on board and the entire system needs to change, or we'd just become the football version of Cuba.
Chris Matheson
6   Posted 23/05/2011 at 17:16:23

Alan it is a nice idea and not to be dismissed out of hand. However, it would be no good raising the cash simply to hand it over to the current board, who are entirely responsible for the current malaise in our club. Any refinancing must come with management change and I fear the only way to effect that is buy the so-and-so's out which would take much more than £50 mil. I certainly don't want to hand over cash to bail out kenwright's ego.
Michael Kenrick
7   Posted 23/05/2011 at 17:13:54

Alan, it's an idea we've had floated before; it sounds simple but the issues it raises are immense.

I believe if there is a path forward, it lies with Trust Everton, who continue to work away behind the scenes... a little too quietly perhaps for some, but regular updates would probably provide little as they also tackle some big issues ? and if they are talking to the Club, then you can bet they get sucked in to the whole "commercial sensitivity ? vow of silence" bullshit.

Oh, and can we please drop this "People's Club" thing? It was cute when Moyes said it, and it was nice for that first season or so... but to have the club pick it up and then go against everything it stood for, before a smart fan trade-marked the logo, and they dropped it like a hot spud... Enough already!!!
Jeremy Benson
8   Posted 23/05/2011 at 18:13:13

If I contributed £1,000 (or, whatever it works out to be ? clearly there aren't 50 million fans, nor with modern-day apathy would you get more than about 5-10,000 people signing up...), and Anichebe started up front on his own the next game, I would be seriously unhappy.

This is a recession. And fans contribute enough as it is - tickets, merchadise, etc.

You also have to consider that you're paying for a player for 4 or 5 years with today's contracts. That means that raising £50 million equates to probably 1 or 2 £10 million pound players when wages are taken into account. That won't make a huge difference. 2 x Bily, pretty much...
Ben Jones
9   Posted 23/05/2011 at 18:23:25

Haha Jeremy, how much wages do you think Bily's on?
Ian McDowell
10   Posted 23/05/2011 at 19:00:36

Imagine contributing a grand on top of tickets, kits, travel etc and signing Bily for £9 million. It's a nice idea in a perfect world and people shouldn't knock you for attempting to come up with ideas and volunteering to implement them.
Gavin Ramejkis
11   Posted 23/05/2011 at 19:30:36

Unless you own a significant amount of shares in the club, why would you just fund making those shareholders potentially wealthier by finally making the club appealing to a buyer? The major shareholders at the club, BK and his cronies, are multi millionaires who have to date invested not a single penny into the club beyond shares, they should be the first in the queue coughing up money before any supporter does.

I'll not fund the charlatan and his waste-of-space board.
Jeremy Benson
12   Posted 23/05/2011 at 19:51:55

I dont know Ben. I'm going to guess at £50k per week?

His transfer fee is listed as £9 million.

Lets assume a 5 year contract; thats £13 million in wages.

So, £9 million + £13 million = £21 million pound.

Like I said; 2 x Bily.
Andy Riley
13   Posted 23/05/2011 at 20:14:52

Much as I'd like to see to see a change of ownership I think BK is right in wanting it to be what her perceives as the right person or group. In all honesty I'd sooner see us stick with the current regime than them be replaced by the sort of people who took over Birmingham, Blackburn or even Aston Villa!
Chris James
14   Posted 23/05/2011 at 21:36:06

The idea of a club owned or heavily influenced by a fans-trust is a very beguiling one, but incredibly tricky to bring about.

Also I don't think money alone is the answer. What I'd love to see is someone trying to run the club on a solid sound financial footing in the first place, i.e. to stop paying out more money in transfers/wages than we can actually afford, put proper caps/salary limits in place (and at considerably lower than what we have now).
Dick Fearon
15   Posted 23/05/2011 at 22:44:10

Without falling off the edge I am as distant from my spiritual Goodisn home as it is possible to get. On behalf of thousands of ex-pats, I express our heartfelt thanks and appreciation to all at TW Towers and your excellent contributors.

I am as attached to the site as I would to a second family. Like one of those mad uncles kept in the attic I even miss dear old profane cantankerous Tony Marsh.

Where are you, Tony?

Jamie Sweet
16   Posted 23/05/2011 at 23:16:39

I've just checked my bank balance, and I reckon I could spare £3.50. All you need to do now is find 14 million more people like me and we could really start something here!
Eric Myles
17   Posted 24/05/2011 at 02:14:11

Well Alan, now you can understand how Blue Bill fails to attract 'investment', if the fans of the Club don't trust him with money why would a savvy business man?
Dave Wilson
18   Posted 24/05/2011 at 06:37:36

It`s a dream of an idea Alan mate.
I know people who would sink every spare penny they have into this club, but unfortunately Gavin has hit the nail on the head.

Until we have a board prepared to put a little of their own money in, Evertonians will continue to withdraw their money, not put more in.
Gareth Edwards
19   Posted 24/05/2011 at 08:14:48

The idea of fans contributing, even if it's only a small amount each, isn't a daft one. Say you get 30,000 fans to contribute £5 a month each ? not a massive amount over 12 months ? that gives you £1.8m That could probably cover signing a young player with a bit of potential, and his wages (think Coleman/Gueye here), or maybe a Bosman-free like Beckford. Fans could contribute more than the £5 per month if the wanted to, and there it no obligation for fans to stay signed up.

In terms of handing money over to the club, some sort of covenant would need to be put on it saying it was to be used for player purchases only, and the club would need to demonstrate that had happened. A few rugby league clubs have such a thing in place, albeit with a slightly different focus on how the cash is spent.

Maybe it could be something that Trust Everton could look at. Also it'd give to opportunity for fans who maybe can't get to games but want to be involved in helping the club in a different way.

Alan Williams
20   Posted 24/05/2011 at 07:53:47

Ebbsfleet in Kent did this and the money ran out after just one year; the problem with fans putting money in is it doesn?t hold up unless it's repeated year on year and that?s the basic problem.

I have said many times that EFC missed a trick this time round by freezing season-ticket prices, a massive blunder. We also have too many concessions that take up prime seating that could be sold to the walk-up market at £40/45 per match and this loses us millions year on year. Concessions should be restricted or allocated to certain areas... and then you have the fan that has concessions but isn?t supposed too which is endemic in to fan culture at GP.

Fans slag off the current board yet sometimes they just don?t know how lucky we are at Everton. Season Ticket Prices: Arsenal £1200, Chelsea £800-950, Spurs £ 800 and Utd & RS £700...

EFC average ? just £ 520?

We get what we pay for ? it's simple; the current board have limitations but I would rather have them than some consortium that makes decisions by committee any day of the week. COYB

Steve Pugh
21   Posted 24/05/2011 at 08:51:35

What would happen if the fans owned the player and loaned him to the club?

Alan, I love your idea and if I were you I would email or tweet (thus putting it in the public domain) all of the high profile Evertonians and ask them to join in.
Liam Reilly
22   Posted 24/05/2011 at 09:50:32

"What would happen if the fans owned the player and loaned him to the club?"

It would be deemed third party ownership and the club would be in danger of being docked points.

Anthony Hawkins
23   Posted 24/05/2011 at 13:06:09

The theory of the idea is really exciting. The execution and reality behind providing funding is somewhat scary.

BK has done what he can for this club and is unable to take it any further. What Everton FC need now is a new owner. A new Captain at the helm.

I would love to own a share of Everton FC however with BK in situ that is highly unlikely.
Alan Williams
24   Posted 24/05/2011 at 13:23:17

Ebbsfleet in Kent did this and the money ran out after just one year, the problem with fans putting money in it doesn?t hold up unless its repeated year on year and that?s the basic problem. I have said many times that EFC missed a trick this time round by freezing ST prices, a massive blunder. We also have too many concessions that take up prime seating that could be sold to the walk up market at £40/45 per match and this loses us millions year on year. Concessions should be restricted or allocated to certain areas, and then you have the fan that has concessions but isn?t supposed too which is endemic in to fan culture at GP. Fans slag of the current board and sometimes they just don?t know how lucky we are at Everton. ST Arsenal £1200, Chelsea £800-950, Spurs £ 800.00 and Utd & RS £700, EFC average just £ 520.00? We get what we pay for its simple and the current board have limitations but I would rather have them than some consortium that makes decisions by committee any day of the week. COYB
Drew O'Neall
25   Posted 24/05/2011 at 13:37:29

What would be better would be to raise enough money to buy the club's debt and then have them pay it back to us at a less punative rate of interest such to free them up to run the business properly and indeed reinvesting the clubs TV, matchday revenue etc in playing staff.
James Marshall
26   Posted 24/05/2011 at 14:28:51

Never gonna happen. What about long term investment? You buy the club, then what?

This is a (with respect) silly thread.
Steve Pugh
27   Posted 24/05/2011 at 15:02:31

Liam, why would it be any different from loaning a player from another club? Your answer is exactly what I thought, but it just doesn't seem right.
Dennis Stevens
28   Posted 24/05/2011 at 18:23:08

That would be a good way forward, Drew. I think MK had it right earlier ? Trust Everton is the best hope for a successful vehicle for fans to see something along these lines. If it were to come to fruition then I'd like to see the Trust acquire the freeholds for Goodison Park & Finch Farm. The aim should be to help in providing an improved situation for the club to operate in but not to try & start running the club but leave that to the Board & Manager.