Transfer Trash Talk #1

I just read an article in The Echo on the website that states Everton are in advanced talks to sign Michael Owen on a free.

If true, personally, I think this would be a great deal. He is quicker, less injury-prone, and (goals-to-game ratio) scores more than Saha, a quality Premier League player still capable of 15 goals a season, in on a free; also, he wouldn't have to move house, so a strong possibility.

The only worry for me is his wage demands. If we could get him on a pay-as-you-play deal and with Yak, Yobo and Vaughan off the wage bill, we could have the funds... Also, if there is any truth in Arteta to Seville for Navas, then that will take a lot of money from the wage bill, so it could be possible...

Fingers crossed for me but I doubt most of you will agree with me though.
Brett  Kemp, Liverpool     Posted 24/05/2011 at 15:12:34

Comments

Grant Smith
1   Posted 24/05/2011 at 16:56:27

Wage demands = deal dead.
Andy Morden
2   Posted 24/05/2011 at 17:00:23

Less injury-prone than Saha? That is a highly debateable assertion!
Paul Foster
3   Posted 24/05/2011 at 17:00:53

If you've watched Owen in the last 5 years, you will know he is NOT quicker than Saha. Far from it. The guy gets absolutely done for pace by John Terry. He's still a great finisher but there is no pace left there. I actually find it really depressing watching him play ? it's so sad to see how injuries have robbed him of everything that made him great.
Chris Keightley
4   Posted 24/05/2011 at 17:05:41

Still a great squad player off the bench ? and a world wide recognised player ? he would certainly increase our media presence and that's a good thing!!
Nelly Blythe
5   Posted 24/05/2011 at 17:11:34

I know it's only end-of-season transfer rumour rubbish at this this stage... but c'mon! DJ Campbell and Jay Bothroyd FFS... how low have we sunk?

If Moyes thinks that either of these two will strengthen our squad, he's really lost the fuckin plot... fuckin rubbish, the pair of 'em IMO.

Chris Keightley
6   Posted 24/05/2011 at 17:11:58

Nelly, DJ Campbell scored 13 in the Prem... Beckford?? Saha?? Enough said. He would be a good addition to what is a poor attacking unit.

As for Bothroyd, plenty of goals in him and on the brink of the England squad less than 6 months ago.

Nelly, you have lost the plot; maybe you should stop playing Fifa 2011 and watch a few games???

Brett Kemp
7   Posted 24/05/2011 at 17:13:19

I agree, I don't want Moyes to sign Campbell or Bothroyd but Owen is a proven goalscorer and when he plays he scores for Utd, he must have a goal every 2 to 3 games for Utd. Just think what he can achieve if he stays fit and can get regular starts... plus if him and Saha are both fit, Moyes must think about 4-4-2 as that is their suited formation.
Dick Anderson
8   Posted 24/05/2011 at 17:15:01

Are you guys fucking nuts? Michael Owen??? The injury prone 10 years past his best Michael Owen???????

Michael Owen has played in the Premiership for the last 5 seasons and scored 31 goals.

Thats just over 6 goals a season. Over the last five years this guy has averaged 6 fucking goals a season.

And you think he's the answer to our striker problems?? I'd rather bring Yakubu back.
Tony J Williams
9   Posted 24/05/2011 at 17:18:39

Dick, still scored more than Anichebe this season... Our back up striker.... how depressing is that?
Sean McCarthy
10   Posted 24/05/2011 at 17:49:53

I'm with Nelly... DJ and Bothroyd??? Oh please God, no!!!

As for Owen... his greatest asset was his pace which he left on a field in Germany when his cruciate went during the 2006 World Cup. Since then, it's been pitiful to watch him. The only positive I can see would be how much it would wind up the other lot!!
Antony Matthews
11   Posted 24/05/2011 at 17:52:28

Beggars can't be choosers, guys. Let's face it, we are skint and the only players we are being linked with are players that are out of contract... If they don't work out, at least it's only cost wages which is what all we can afford.
Chris Sillett
12   Posted 24/05/2011 at 17:56:56

Brett, do you mean this article?

If so, where does it state we are in advanced talks? It's simply a rumour off an unreliable rumour website....
James Brand
13   Posted 24/05/2011 at 18:01:35

Anthony #8

Good point!

If Mourinho was on this forum, he'e bring out the "shopping for apples" in Harrods speech...

We are skint guys... we have no transfer cash... and I'll put my neck on the line again and say that NO fees will be paid for players this summer, unless we sell! Expect a diminished squad...

Go on holiday cos we won't be doing any meaningful business and even if we do, it will be on 31 August... enjoy your summer instead.
Eugene Ruane
14   Posted 24/05/2011 at 17:53:42

Plays cack, looks slow, not interested ? "Fuck off yer horrible little mercenary kopite TWWWWWATT!"

Plays well (and/or scores for us in the derby, kisses the badge and whips up his shirt to reveal 'Once a Blue, Always a Blue') ? "Fucking LOVE the man lad, he always wanted to play for us".

Or something.

Ben Jones
15   Posted 24/05/2011 at 18:12:34

Meh, I'd take him. He can be like out Darren Bent, where he does nothing. His issue ain't with goal scoring.

The issue is where the hell would he fit in our team? We like play 4-5-1 and Owen would never, ever be a lone striker.

But the links with the strikers are depressing. I'd take them as squad players but they are no better than Beckford. We need to hopefully push the boat out a bit.
Ste Traverse
16   Posted 24/05/2011 at 18:23:05

If we had a few bob, I'd love to see us prise someone like Jermaine Defoe away from Tottenham as it's evident he's unhappy there. However,with us being skint yet again, I can't see us having to many better options than picking up someone like Owen on a free.
Jamie Barlow
17   Posted 24/05/2011 at 18:27:47

How about a swap? Defoe for Neville? Play wobbly face at his own games.
Anthony Millington
18   Posted 24/05/2011 at 18:43:30

The last thing we need is another crock. We can't afford to be paying any more players wages when they are injured half the season! I'd even rather keep Vaughan or Yak, atleast they'd be there to rely on when Saha gets injured! I've also heard a rumour about Miroslav Klose who's available on a free, but he's past his best too!
Trevor Mackie
19   Posted 24/05/2011 at 18:46:16

If it wasn't for his name, he wouldn't get a game at any Prem club ? his first touch is simply shocking.

He scores a few at Man Utd because they can play him in without getting involved in the build up but even at OT he hasn't done it.

Be like playing with 10 men.
Gavin Ramejkis
20   Posted 24/05/2011 at 19:15:08

He's slower than a barge these days and has glass ankles, add those to his huge wage demands and it's a no thanks to this mercenary midget.
Aidy Dews
21   Posted 24/05/2011 at 19:15:13

I don't see why not but it's getting him fit for sustained periods during the season for him to be of any benefit to us. And people talk about Bothroyd but what about Nugent on a free?

I think I'd rather take a younger Evertonian eager to impress in the prem than Bothroyd who is near on 30 and whose attitude and temper can cause problems amongst the ranks.
David Hallwood
22   Posted 24/05/2011 at 19:09:45

When talk comes round to Michael Owen, people tend to think about the other Michael Owen ? the one with electric pace who used to scare the shite out of defenders by running at them, and a great eye for a goal.

However, the MO vintage 2011 probably wouldn't be as slow as Ginola was when he come to us but not much quicker, and FFS do we really need another injury-prone forward???
Dick Anderson
23   Posted 24/05/2011 at 19:26:15

I really can't see Michael Owen playing any more regulary or scoring more goals then Louis Saha already does.

So what's the pont?

We need a Darren Bent.
Chris James
24   Posted 24/05/2011 at 19:22:03

Absolute madness, Owen is shot.

Injury prone, lacking pace and relatively disinterested generally. The only reason it has any credence is as our role of feeder club/retirement village for Utd.

I'm less against DJ Campbell than some folk here though, he's cheap, has scored goals in the Premier League and is all round attainable. We need options up front and he'd provide that, no?
Ian Bennett
25   Posted 24/05/2011 at 19:49:45

Can I see it happen? ? Yes. Do I want it to happen? ? Nope. Hate signing players who are past it and then putting up with crap of "they will come good"... Gazza, Ginola etc. Owen would want £60k to £70k plus. That's £3 to £3.5M per season or a young hungry forward at £25k plus £2M per season on the drip transfer fee of £8M to £10M over the contract with upside of sell-on.

Good players are there ? look at the West Brom's Odemwingie: he's been class for them. The Championship looks weak at the moment but I reckon Moyes could go for Nugent on a free (he was talked out of signing him by Irvine and Woods, according to Geoff Stelling) and perhaps Nicky Maynard.
John Audsley
26   Posted 24/05/2011 at 20:11:54

More chance of the late great Johnny Owen coming to GP than Michael Owen.

Wouldn't fit into our team structure at all.

DJ can fuck off but I'd take a chance on Bothroyd.
Steve Edwards
27   Posted 24/05/2011 at 20:04:48

I certainly hope this one is wrong. Just as others have said, he was finished years ago. What's he going to do? Play as a lone striker and hold the ball up? I don't think so. Beckford is the same type of striker as him but Beckford still has pace and he dosn't cut it with Moyes.

If Moyes goes for this one then get him in a straight jacket and straight to the looney bin. Anyone else who thinks Owen is worth a punt should join him.

Iain Love
28   Posted 24/05/2011 at 20:16:20

Sturridge, Bellamy and the Manc who went to Sunderland ? all available, all cheaper, all better.
Gavin Ramejkis
29   Posted 24/05/2011 at 20:17:31

We need a cheap (ie, free) version of Kevin Davies ? someone who can hold up the ball so Beckford can play off them.
David Crowe
30   Posted 24/05/2011 at 20:26:41

Oh God, sounds like it's worth a punt as he's free... but could go horribly wrong.
Ian McDowell
31   Posted 24/05/2011 at 20:36:19

Would be a great signing, he has still got it; he scored a hat-trick in the Champions League and look what happens when a chance falls his way.

His pace may be going but his brain still gives him that extra 2 yards of space.
Ray Robinson
32   Posted 24/05/2011 at 21:05:15

No! Without pace, the guy is actually a crap footballer. No left foot. If not scoring, which he rarely does these days, he contributes absolutely nothing. If push comes to shove, give Vellios a chance!
Jamie Sweet
33   Posted 24/05/2011 at 23:26:47

Silly season is here! I love it!

Eugene #11 - I would expect your first paragraph to be the most likely outcome. It's a no for me.

Pay as you play would be the only contract worth considering.

Welbeck as a make-weight in a deal for Rodwell is my hunch for the year. I personally wouldn't be too upset if this happened. (Unless young Jack at OT turns into the midfield genius I once thought he was capable of becoming, and then I may retrospectively curse the deal!)
Simon Gilmovitch
34   Posted 25/05/2011 at 00:50:55

We neither want or need this RS mercenary.
John Maxwell
35   Posted 25/05/2011 at 01:31:44

Bit of a risk, but is a good finisher.

I can just seem him chasing down the channels with aimless balls from Jags and our midfield.... He would ok playing alongside a big striker but we havent got one.

He would take a drop in wages so I would have him.

As a few have said above with our financial difficulties this is about as good as we can get...
Chris Bannantyne
36   Posted 25/05/2011 at 01:23:08

I'd definitely take Sturridge over Welbeck. Don't think we would be getting either.

There is a fairy tale there with Michael Owen that is just not going to happen. People want him because he WAS this prolific goalscorer who apparently was an Evertonian as a lad. He played for the Shite for whatever reason (money) and has become one of their most celebrated players. People want to see him come to Everton, go on a scoring spree. Sink Liverpool in the derby etc etc.

It just won't happen. Owen can still score, but that's just about it. He has lost all his other assets.
Paul Gladwell
37   Posted 25/05/2011 at 06:29:57

If you are going for a player of this sort and age, Bellamy is head and shoulders a better option; he still has pace and actually plays games.
Jon Butcher
38   Posted 25/05/2011 at 07:59:09

Hell yea Bellamy Would be QUALITY.

What about Reo-Coker??? Surely he would improve an already weak midfield????

Tommy Gourlay
39   Posted 25/05/2011 at 08:57:59

I'd only bring in Owen if Saha was leaving. You can't have multiple potential crocks at the one position.....if Vaughan and Saha end up not leaving and Owen comes in, we'd have 3 potential crocks as strikers!

DJ Campbell is good but if Beckford had played as many minutes as Campbell this year with 2 other strikers/wingers supporting him, Beckford would have got more than 13 goals.

Unless we bring in Bothroyd I see Beckford being our focal point in attack again next year.
Jonathan Field
40   Posted 25/05/2011 at 10:07:08

Don't dismiss Baxter Vellios and Hope, for next season.

Plus Barkley.

Bothroyd too old, DJ Campbell is below our ambitions.

I don't want to be one of these clubs that shite players "come home" to when they're past it. i.e Keane at Celtic or something. I want better than this. We've done it before with Fellaini, Cahill and Arteta and we can do it again.
Ed Fitzgerald
41   Posted 25/05/2011 at 13:20:52

It would be madness to sign Owen. There are good players in the championship worth taking a risk worth taking a risk on such as Mackail- Smith at Pboro. To be fair to Moyes he is far better at nuturing such players than some of his big money buys.
Trevor Lynes
42   Posted 25/05/2011 at 13:34:19

Are we reduced to taking players that have been RELEASED by Man Utd ??
If thyere was anyone available from there it would need to be GIGGS or even SCHOLES but not Owen...our team gets by on work rate and we cannot afford players who can only knock home easy chances....we may as well go for Kevin Philips.....we are constantly picking up freebees like dustbin searchers.

I would not welcome Owen coming at this stage of his career.

We desperately need youth and longevity in the side and not ageing hasbeens for short term fixes.

We have now unloaded at least four from the wage bill and we need to either blood some youngsters and/or buy some decent premier standard players with some years left.

We have had more than our fair share of injury prone deadwood and we certainly do not want to add Owen especially at the salary he would ask.

I am sure that he would unsettle the players we have and I see him as a retrograde step.

We need Saha back fit to help Beckford reach his full potential.
Mick Gallagher
43   Posted 25/05/2011 at 13:52:39

Just think he might end up being the Andy Gray of Moyes era. A good player always out through injury, then again that was Saha a few years back. Fuck it were skint and if is wages arent to bad take a chance.
Jimmy Hacking
44   Posted 25/05/2011 at 14:08:58

Michael Owen is still a deadly finisher, he proved that against Blackpool as recently as three days ago.

There's no striker in the world I'd trust more than Owen in a one-on-one. This could be the free signing of the summer.
Sam Hoare
45   Posted 25/05/2011 at 15:04:38

Don't want Owen. Don't want Vicente. Don't want Boothroyd or DJ Campbell or any other average players the wrong side of 27.

Do want Welbeck or Sturridge. Do want Scott Dann (if he's on the cheap). Do want Larsson on a free as an extra wide option. Do definitely want Velios, Baxter, Barkley and Gueye to have storming pre-seasons and be genuinely pushing for first team spots.

Tony X Williams
46   Posted 25/05/2011 at 16:36:38

Settle down lads...you've got another 3 months of this 'off-season-madness. Its the same every year every footballer who ever wore an Everton shirt as a kid, is about to sign for us. Or so the press would have you believe. All the usual suspects will be trotted out over the next few months, Owen, Barton, Bellamy, Nugent. I'm just waiting for the Robbie Savage coming out of retirement story ;o)
Colin O'Keeffe
47   Posted 25/05/2011 at 19:52:25

If someone had mentioned DJ Campbell as a potential striker for Everton 12 months ago i'd have laughed. However he's impressed me this season - has movement to rival Beckford and is a much more composed finisher. Could be worth a punt for 1-2 million (apparently his release clause is 1.5M). I don't know enough about Bothroyd to know, but again if he's free it might be worth a go. Personally they'd both get my vote ahead of Owen as at least they're fit most of the time. My preference however would be for Demba ba - big, pacey, eye for goal - might not be too expensive either.
Mike Gwyer
48   Posted 25/05/2011 at 20:21:14

I've seen several newspapers stating that Barton wants out, with several clubs, including Everton being interested.

Now the lad has a history with the Blues, he's a Huyton boy and he plays the middle of the park very well; actually he reminds me of Peter Reid.

Personally, I'd be on the phone to the Barcodes tomorrow but hey, I know the boy has more enemies than friends. It's just that, for me, Everton could do with a ball-wnner who can dominate his area and make players like Arteta use the ball.

Mike Gaynes
49   Posted 25/05/2011 at 23:02:32

Mike, we already have a Fella who wins the ball, dominates his area, is way better and younger than Barton and far less likely to wind up in jail.
Neil Vaughan
50   Posted 26/05/2011 at 09:16:24

Colin #47 ? DJ Campbell a composed finisher...??? Must be a different DJ Campbell from the one currently playing for Blackpool... From what I've seen he has missed as many if not more sitters than Beckford.

As for Beckford reaching his potential... the guy is 27/28 years old if he hasn't fulfilled his potential by now then it ain't gonna happen. He needs 5/6 chances to score 1 goal; everyone will talk about the goal against Chelsea but no mention of the TWO sitters he missed before it in the same game (one actually went out for a throw-in...) and the bagful he's missed all season.

IMO Beckford is what he is ? a lower league player playing above his level. Don't talk about goals per minutes on the pitch ? talk about goals per chances he's received.... that will paint a totally different picture.

One final note IMO this team will not progress or challenge for anything until it has PACE. Moyes's priority should be to find it and find it QUICK... (Please pardon the pun!)

Sam Hoare
51   Posted 26/05/2011 at 11:09:21

Neil. You give Beckford a hard time and then talk about our need for pace. He's probably our quickest player!

Also you say talk about the goals per chance received but the whole point is that he makes those chances!! When he is on the pitch he makes things happens and even though his finishing is far from the best he will score goals when he plays. And that my friend is a pretty valuable asset in the Premier League. And it's just his first season.
Tim Spring
52   Posted 26/05/2011 at 12:32:40

DJ Campbell!? From what I have seen of Blackpool I don't rate him. He may have scored 13 goals in the league this year, but look at the way Blackpool play. They don't defend at all and have the view that they will attack attack attack. This means they will get lots of chances and Campbell was on the end of 13 of them.

For us he may get 2 opportunities a game, and from what I have seen of his finishing I'd back him to score 5 goals for us. Having said that, it is 5 more goals than I think Anichebe has even scored in training!

Anthony Hawkins
53   Posted 26/05/2011 at 12:54:24

Michael Owen = NO WAY!!! I'd be very unhappy if we signed Michael Owen as it's a major step in the wrong direction. The team needs a quality striker who will give to the team on a regular basis and he just won't be able to. Yes, he may be willing but his injuries speak for themselves plus we need someone younger.
Alasdair Mackay
54   Posted 26/05/2011 at 13:20:26

I'd take Owen on a free. He was an Evertonian as a boy so, despite his RS histroy, understands the club and what's important to the fans.

He might not be quick or anywhere near as sharp, but he is still a good finisher and that is exactly what we lacked last season. There were countless games where we created loads of chances and missed them all. Owen would not have missed.

Sign him up!
Tommy Gourlay
55   Posted 26/05/2011 at 13:36:26

@51 Sam Hoare

Exactly ? I don't think his 'strength' is to be an out-and-out the goal scorer so I'm not taking a shot at Anichebe here... but Anichebe would not create a third of the chances Beckford does for himself. So Beckford basically scores as many goals as Anichebe makes chances for himself. (I underline "for himself" because I feel the 'strength' of his game ? when he can be bothered ? is to make them chances for others.)
Brett Kemp
56   Posted 26/05/2011 at 13:54:38

Articles on Newsnow are stating that Rodwell is on his way to United for £15M. I want around £20-25M or £15M and a player... hopefully Fletcher or Anderson would be very decent business.
Dick Fearon
57   Posted 26/05/2011 at 13:55:08

My Evertonian grandson has just emailed that Mikel Arteta plus £6mil has gone to Seville in exchange for someone named Jesus. Jesus!
Tony J Williams
58   Posted 26/05/2011 at 14:32:13

I have just e-mailed myself with a story that we are getting Messi as a swap with Ossie. It must be true, as I have just made it up myself right now.
Brian Waring
59   Posted 26/05/2011 at 19:07:34

Brett, never in a million years would the Manc's give us £15m plus Fletcher. They would probalby see Fletcher as a more important player to them than Rodwell. Also Anderson is cack!
Neil Vaughan
60   Posted 27/05/2011 at 09:22:46

Sam... you've brought a smile to my face mate... What is the point of creating chances if you don't SCORE them. He has scored goals but he needs at least 5 chances to score 1 goal and that my friend is far from being a top Premier League striker.

When I talk about pace I mean throuhout the whole team... especially in wide positions so we can get behind teams. You may think that creating chances and then MISSING them is a valuable asset (and you're entitled to your opinion) but sorry I just can't agree.

The majority of opinion in this thread seems to be aginst signing Michael Owen but (what ever his injury problems), given the chances Beckford has had this season, IMO Owen would have netted 20 gls... That, my friend, is the most valuable asset of all.

Brett Kemp
61   Posted 28/05/2011 at 02:15:11

I've been seeing rumours that we are leading the chase to sign Charlie Adam for around £6 to 7 million or Yakubu plus £3M. Could be real as his agent is Moyes's brother and he is a player we need.
Brian Waring
62   Posted 28/05/2011 at 16:08:53

Would be a great signing Brett. With Spurs just missing out on him in Jan, I can see them coming back in for him, and the redshite were showing a lot of interest also. If they were both to renew their interest, can't see us getting a look-in.