Landon Donovan

Every day like clockwork I peruse all articles pertaining to EFC (I assume like 99% of other readers also), not just here, but all over the Internet.

Each day, it seems, there is a different player, a different club, another investor associated with our team. But, one name that has not surfaced as yet, is that of Landon Donovan.

Now I know that there are some people who do not rate him as highly as others; however, the crux is that, for the ten-game period that he was with us, I thought he acquitted himself rather well.

Is he the next coming? No I don't think so, but, he is proven at the Premier League level, and, contrary to belief he will not cost an arm and a leg.

He has, according to reports, a clause in his contract that would allow him to move to a European club after the 2010-11 season. There is no mention of the amount of money involved, but, one would have to assume it would be in the region of $7 to 9 million.

When asked recently on Fox Sports if he was interested in returning to the premier league, his answer was, "only if it was with Everton".

The question is, do we want to pay that kind of money for a 29-year-old (he turned 29 in March), attacking winger/midfielder? I would say yes. He knows the club, knows the manager, knows the players, and loves the fans.

There is speculation on who we might get rid off this offseason, Yobo, Yakubu, Heitinga (a mistake in my opinion), Bily and Vaughan, who is already gone. With the money we should get for these players, £10/12 million, why not spend it on someone who is proven to our system and club?

Who would you rather have in the starting line up on the right side of midfield/forward, Anichebe or Donavan? I believe that a combination of Beckford, Saha, Cahill, Vellios etc can be used this upcoming season to good effect. (Just do not ask me on what I base the supposition...) Therefore, with maybe a loan signing or two, not break the bank, and, get a proven provider in that would supply more chances than we have had for the forward players in the past couple of years.

COYFBB
Jimmy Daly, Trussville, USA     Posted 03/06/2011 at 13:42:36

Comments

Dan McKie
1   Posted 03/06/2011 at 15:06:32

Everybody who says lets sell Yobo, Yak, Bily and Vaughan (already gone), and then follows it with 'and get {1 player}' seems to forget just how small our squad is, and that if we did sell the 3 along with Vaughan, that we would need 4 players coming in to replace them, not 1!
Tony J Williams
2   Posted 03/06/2011 at 15:13:41

Noooooooooooooo!!!
Jason Thomas
3   Posted 03/06/2011 at 15:37:47

Yyyyyeeeeesssssssss!!!!!
Paul Olsen
4   Posted 03/06/2011 at 15:44:02

Donovan is no longer a great option, he is also soon turning 30 (before next season ends) and will no longer improve (at least not likely).

Unless we get him cheap (doubt it), I say let's keep the good memories of him and move on (finally).

Let's get someone younger who we won´t lose money on when we eventually sell him (cos we will if he´s any good).
Brian Waring
5   Posted 03/06/2011 at 16:23:14

Cue the Donovan love fest 2011.
Ray Roche
6   Posted 03/06/2011 at 16:33:04

Dan McKie

Dan, Yobo,the Yak, and Vaughn hardly featured for Everton last season and Bily underachieved as well, so I can't see it reducing the squad size in real terms.
Tony J Williams
7   Posted 03/06/2011 at 16:46:01

Real terms? 4 less bodies - 4 less squad members! (I know what you mean though)
Sam Hoare
8   Posted 03/06/2011 at 16:46:51

Not sure we can afford to spend £6m on someone with no re-sale value....if we had a spot on marketing department who could make use of all the shirts Landon might sell in USA it might worth it but somehow i don't get the feeling thats the case...

So, either loan or on the cheap or not.
Dan McKie
9   Posted 03/06/2011 at 16:44:36

No it wouldnt Ray, if we want the same scenario again next season. How many times did you hear someone say 'Why have we loaned out Yakubu?'. We might have got away with loaning Yobo out, but it was still a massive risk as it left us with only 3 recognised centre backs. Why not next season we have a bench with some players on who have actually played in the premier league, and people have heard of? We cant keep making the same excuses every season of no money, small squad, then suggest offloading 5 or 6 players to pay for 1.
Declan O'Shaughnessy
10   Posted 03/06/2011 at 16:54:35

Jimmy, I think the issue is (and Dan, this touches on your point as well) is that can Everton really afford that kind of money for a player that they won't be able to sell for a profit (or probably even at a price to recoup the investment) in 2 years time? Sadly, we very much have to look at players that are more likely to appreciate in value rather than depreciate.

And Dan, in the same vein: can we actually afford a bench of seasoned internationals next season? I'm not saying it doesn't make sense to have a seasoned bench, because god knows it does if we want to progress. But I think we all have to accept that we don't have a pot to piss in or a window to throw it out of next season. We're going to have to survive (and I use that term advisedly) with a smaller squad and just hope to fuck we have some luck with injuries.

I suspect that even offloading Yobo, Yakubu, Vaughan, Bily etc. won't result in us signing a player for a similar amount as the funds brought in. It's more likely than 50% of the money raised will go towards operating expenses (just keeping the club afloat). At best we can maybe recycle the wages saved into offering someone like Klose (who I really don't rate) a high-ish salary.

I'm not attacking the club, or the powers that be who run it, I'm just pointing out how I think our finances are going to pan out in the short term.
Chris Bannantyne
11   Posted 03/06/2011 at 16:52:10

Look, I'd love to get Donovan. I love that guy. It might not be a smart move, given his age and pricetag, but personally I want to bring him back "home". If it proves to be a fuckup, it would be one that I would be more than prepared to forgive the club for.

I'm not sure why I like Donovan so much, the subject of whether we should buy him or not is one that I fail to view with any sense of pragmatism.
Matthew Lovekin
12   Posted 03/06/2011 at 17:03:14

Would love to see Landon back. A toffee at heart as well as a leader, inspiration and versatile quality player.

However the thing that most impressed me about Landon was that he actually came across as an intelligent footballer. He always seemed to pick the right pass at the right time or made the right run.

He is a world class player that the fans and players will look up to. He is begging to come back to GP and we would be stupid not to get him back.

I also suspect being an American and an intelligent lad that he is physically fit and therefore could go on playing until his mid-30's.

Bring Landon home!!!
Brian Waring
13   Posted 03/06/2011 at 17:17:10

Chris, not having a dig mate, but come on, whats all this bring him back " Home " He was only here 5 minutes.
Dick Anderson
14   Posted 03/06/2011 at 17:36:02

No thanks.

He hardly took the Premiership by storm in the loan spell. He was at best useful.

Too expensive.

Too old.

There was a post last week claiming the squad is getting a little old. Donovan will turn 30 next season. Too old.

Moyes should look to be bringing in some players in the 20-25 age bracket.
Chris Bannantyne
15   Posted 03/06/2011 at 17:43:05

Brian, I know he only made a brief cameo for Everton, but I love his loyalty. He always claims that he would only consider returning to the premier league if the offer came from Everton.

For a guy that was only here ten minutes, I find that kind of loyalty quite rare and refreshing in this day and age. This is probably the main reason why I want him back.

Also he seemed to really lift the team, and our best most quality performances of that season were when he was playing. We enjoyed a few more good results after he left, but I guarantee the quality dipped again in his absence.

He certainly isn't the greatest player in the world, but he fit our club nicely, our quality of football improved substantially in his short tenure, he appears to love the club, and he gave 100% every game. I mean, with our lack of financial clout or European football, what more could you ask for?

Like I said before, bringing him back might not work out. Maybe he won't recapture that form, maybe he will succumb to injury, or be too old and ineffective. But I argue that this isn't as much of a risk as it may seem. He has been tried and tested by us, we know what he is capable of. It is actually less risky than bringing in someone younger with more 'potential' who could well turn out to not be suited to our team or league, a la Bilyaletdinov.

I say, if we can get him, then get him. Fuck the possible negative consequences.
Gavin Ramejkis
16   Posted 03/06/2011 at 18:35:34

I thought Donovan did a bloody good job when we had him, certainly flying from Hawaii into snow in London and playing against Arsenal he showed no fear and some decent footwork down the right wing, something we simply didn't have at the time. We missed that boat though and his age and price tag have put him out of reach/need now, enjoy the memory and look forward to a Lidl version if any instead. (Our overseas contributors that might not know what Lidl is, it's a really cheap supermarket aimed at the lowest end of the buying public)
Dean Adams
17   Posted 03/06/2011 at 18:52:41

Perhaps his high standing in the USA team would be a marketing tool that we could exploit with merchandise in The States raising our profile to the enormous US market and any money spent on a fee could end up being a great investment... if only our marketing department had some sense of how to exploit the market!!!
Trevor Lynes
18   Posted 03/06/2011 at 19:07:01

Contrary to some of the comments on here re; loaned out players, it's not done for the players' good ? it's done to get them off the payroll.

If we cannot afford to pay these players then how can we afford to bring in ANY player who will want good wages, like Klose or Demba, or maybe even Landon (that's if he wants to come anyway). Bringing in Landon or Klose would only be a one season fix as both are 30-ish and certainly not a long-term solution.

We desperately need to lower the squad's age and must bring through at least one or two youngsters and buy players in their mid-20s with a good chance of improving our squad and replacing players who are getting towards the end of their playing days.

Please don't mention Giggs and Scholes as they are both ex-top class players who have kept themselves in top shape. Our players have never been up to their standard and will not be able to play at the top until mid-30s.

Roberto Birquet
19   Posted 03/06/2011 at 19:30:47

Dan
------
Nonsense.
The squad is big enough if there are 25 players. Yobo, Yak, Vaughan were not among our squad for the second half of last season, two of them for any part of last season. So losing them is not making us smaller than last season.

I reckon we need 2 strikers and the money will come from those three plus Bily from the sound of it. Rather than spreading money around with £1 million here, £2 m there, get quality in, and bring thru youngsters to get the numbers.

IF the Club can find £5-6 million on top of sales to still fund move for Donovan, I'd like to see it happen. Even if he is 29. But at that age, he won't be worth more than £6 million.

Oh and well done, someone noticed that 29+1 is 30. Top marks!
Jon Cox
20   Posted 03/06/2011 at 19:50:53

Brian (5)

Well i'd sooner have that that the British Brainwashing Corperation sponsership of Glasto..... Yuk Vomit
Jon Cox
21   Posted 03/06/2011 at 20:00:05

Chris (11) totally agree.

What it's down to is when a guy beats another guy on the wing or elsewhere then all sorts of space and opportunities open up for him and the team e.g. Gascoigne, in his finest form.

Landon always went down well with Evertonians because he had that particular gift.

So yeah, i'd love to see him back as well. Imagine next season and Coleman learns how to tackle and he's behind Donovan. To take the fantisy one bit further peanuts is back and the Baines partnership is back on.

Two powerful wings, premier league watch out.....
Mark Stone
22   Posted 03/06/2011 at 22:15:58

Word on the street here in the states is he is going go Roma. Whether there is any truth in that I don't know.
Peter Warren
23   Posted 03/06/2011 at 22:26:57

Fast Winger who works hard tracks back scores goals creates and stretches defences and keeps attaching full backs in their own half. For £6 Mil he would be a steal - but I think he would cost more like £10m which we can't afford. But yeah love to see him back and nice that he has a genuine respect and affinity in the club. Top man
David Crowe
24   Posted 03/06/2011 at 22:34:57

For £4m he's worth a go, but the need for a right winger is not our first or second priority, (striker and a left winger). He's proven, experienced and would give us a couple of years of good, honest service and he's a good quality player that would take opponents' focus off baines and give him more space. I say go for it but nothing over £5m.
Rob Murphy
25   Posted 03/06/2011 at 23:11:09

Hell ya...do it for Bianca
Chris James
26   Posted 03/06/2011 at 23:38:39

Up to £5M with sensible wages I'd say he's definitely worth it.

Right attitude, right position (in that he can play the flanks or up front on his own) and right marketing opportunity.

At 29 he's still in his prime (and as model pro and American he's probably looked after himself), I think we could get 3 seasons of him playing a regular role (maybe more - just look at Giggs) and then either sell back post World Cup for his swansong in the American league or keep him on as a bit part player.
In addition there's a definite marketing benefit in terms of strengthening our US presence.
Ryan Rosenberg
27   Posted 04/06/2011 at 00:30:32

I would love to have him back, but his age and fee is a worry. I expect him to be here in January on loan though
Mark Wayman
28   Posted 04/06/2011 at 01:27:38

I wonder whether a permanent move for Landon would make us more appealing to potential US based owners. Not so sure. But we were willing to pay Beckham a Kings ransom to boost the image of the club.

For the right price I would love to see Landon back at Everton... I would love for Everton to play with two wingers for the record.
Ed Bottomley
29   Posted 03/06/2011 at 22:39:26

I'll be watching Landon play for the USA vs Canada next week in Detroit. Hope he does well but I think we have too little money too play with and he is too close to 30 for him to be a realistic target.
James Flynn
30   Posted 04/06/2011 at 05:04:07

I'd only add; forget his age. Landon is a world-class athlete who not only takes very good care of himself (even a Landon-rooting American like me didn't think he'd roll into the top league and compete well after a few weeks off) but also, he doesn't drink, drug, party, etc. The price is the problem and frustrating.

I'd like to resurrect my opinion that LA Galaxy would be a perfect Club for EFC to loan young players to as part of a deal to snag Landon. Galaxy is a first-class run team with a demanding manager in Arena.

For the rest: embarrassing EFC ownership could be so short-sighted on the marketing end of signing Landon. They'd get back his signing fees and salary (which is small by EPL standards) not just in the States, but also right there in England. Embarrassing. Free money falling from the sky neglected by a Club short of cash and continually stuck just short of crashing into the big money because of a cash shortage.

And, of, course, Landon fit in perfectly with the team.

Forget the age thing. If slow-motion Beckham could carve a terrific European career from finding space with a PhD right foot, Landon can too. Except with pace right up until he's 35.

C'mon Mr. Moyes. Make it happen. Send some youngsters to Arena at Galaxy as part of a deal for Landon.

Tony X Williams
31   Posted 04/06/2011 at 05:51:11

Jimmy...3 things mate.

1. I like Landon and would love to see him in an Everton shirt again. Alas I cannot see it happening because unless we sell we can't afford him.
2. We dont have a marketing department to make full use of him. Our marketing is currently handled by the cock-up department.
3. This sentance in your second paragraph jumps off the page, " Each day, it seems, there is a different player, a different club, another investor associated with our team."
Which investors ? is that in the US ? I dont think there has been a 'named' investor linked to Everton.
Rory Slingo
32   Posted 04/06/2011 at 05:49:07

Lots of people call for Moyes to be brave and more adventurous in the transfer market every summer, but mention a bold move for the likes of Donovan and these people are pragmatists all of a sudden.

Like Chris and others have pointed out, he worked out great when he was here, fit the system, lifted the team, endeared himself to the club, players and fans, has huge marketing potential and a nice story written all over it for the media should he return.

Question is, if we sell a few of our deadwood to fund one major transfer this summer, who should it be? Donovan who was proven on the wing, or a proper striker who can make the most of the half-chances he'll get from the lack of service from our impotent, injury-prone midfield?
Jon Cox
33   Posted 04/06/2011 at 06:34:52

Good points, Rory, but as we all know standing still in the Premier League is a veritable death sentence.
Paul Gladwell
34   Posted 04/06/2011 at 08:04:50

Dick, the Donavan I witnessed from my seat was more than at best useful. Useful players don't tear the arse off Ashley Cole like he did and he did it twice, once for us and once for the USA.

In his debut away at Arsenal we saw straight away what a great little asset he would be and his games after that proved it.

John Audsley
35   Posted 04/06/2011 at 09:39:29

I'd love him to come back.

Let's be honest, Moyes will stick with his 4-5-1 come hell or high water so LD on the RW makes perfect sense.

Great attitude, talented player, works hard and is a leader off and on the pitch.

Having him and Howard at EFC would also be great for marketing in the US. Only snag is he costs money...
Michael Brien
36   Posted 04/06/2011 at 10:18:32

So we only buy players if we know that we can sell them on in the future??? What utter rubbish.

1. Every transfer involves a risk. e.g. will the player settle in, will he fit in to our style of play.

2. However in this case he has already been at Everton ? we know that he does suit our style of play.

So if he became available let's sign him. I doubt whether the fee would be as high as some have suggested... but even if it was these days players are playing on till well in their 30s and still doing well. I didn't hear too many complaints back in 1991 when we signed Peter Beardsley... yes, he was a special player but he was well past 30 wasn't he?

Cahill is over 30, yet he is still an important member of our squad. It's ability that counts regardless of age ? young/old. We seem to have some good youngsters coming through and surely some experienced players would benefit their development.

David Hallwood
37   Posted 04/06/2011 at 10:45:46

Spot on James Flynn (#29). Donovan would be a huge asset, and although he's 29 he hasn't had a ermmmm British social life so he will be in top condition. His short spell here I saw the transformation of Everton, into a side that competed and beat the top sides. Obviously it wasn't just down to him but IMO he gave us balance and an outlet on the flanks

But can we afford him? as James alludes to, it could be self funding if we could get the marketing right in the biggest sports market in the world. Remember the Ronaldo deal was financed by shirt sales and the club could run ads on the lines of 'wear HIS shirt with pride'. Oh hang on I'm talking about the Everton board... sorry... sorry... sorry!

Guy Rogers
38   Posted 04/06/2011 at 11:05:38

£3.5 million transfer fee should do it and we would get 3 years of good service. You always want options on the wing or in the forward line and he is the sort of player who could move us on....

Next... now how about those kids coming thorugh the youth system: Langstrum and Barkley!!!
Paul Gladwell
39   Posted 04/06/2011 at 11:29:28

Too true, Michael, in that case we can only buy players no older than 25!

The lad is 29 and if he came and had three good years it would be money well spent even if we got jack shit for him at the age of 32.

James Robinson
40   Posted 04/06/2011 at 11:34:31

He is a good solid Premier League player but at 29 we should only be paying £3 million tops... so, despite all the good will towards him, I don't think it will happen.
Gavin Ramejkis
41   Posted 04/06/2011 at 11:48:15

Michael #36 in case you've missed it, our older players were bought back in the day when we had a pot to piss in, remind me again of how any players have been funded at Everton for the last good number of transfer windows? I'll give you both a clue, begins with player and ends with sales. Don't get me wrong I like Donovan and rate him but the business model in place at the present time doesn't lend itself to spending any money unless we can recoup it, marketing Donovan could pay a good slice of it but the club couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery.
Ste Traverse
42   Posted 04/06/2011 at 13:00:28

Oh not this again.

It got completley boring hearing blues banging on and on about Donovan for a year when he went back to America. He did well but you'd think he was Maradona the some fans talk about him.

Donovan is just an average footballer with a bit of pace,IMO.
Seamus Murphy
43   Posted 04/06/2011 at 13:36:41

Ste ? is he not better than Bily or Vic?
Guy Rogers
44   Posted 04/06/2011 at 13:50:33

£3.5 million should do and we would get three good years from him.
Michael Brien
45   Posted 04/06/2011 at 13:49:38

Gavin #36 Who is to say that at 29 Donovan is too old? Do we just sign players of 25 years old? Isn't that being too restrictive? Age shouldn't matter ? it's whether or not a player is good enough that really counts.

Ste #40 You may be bored with hearing the fuss about Donovan but I am getting bored with the"Is he really that special? Is he Maradona?? Actually no of course he isn't ? what he is is a good player, a player of international experience who has played in the World Cup, a player who has been on loan at Everton and done well. We know that he fits in to Everton's style of play... so, if he became available at a reasonable price, it would make sense to sign him.

If he was as average as you say then he wouldn't have been capped by the USA; in case you have been on a different planet, they have done reasonably well in World Cups and they seem to know how to beat Portugal which is more than be said for Rooney, Lampard & Co. They have a decent squad of players the USA, they have compted well against more established nations and US international shouldn't be so easily dismissed ? there are a few doing quite well in the Premier League.

I seem to recall Brian McBride was dismissed as being too old... I think we should have signed him at the time, his goals and performances were an important part of Fulham retaining their status in the Premier League. Yet, whilst they were prepared to sign him, Everton dithered and missed out. If they are good enough that should be the main criteria. Donovan has clearly shown that he is good enough for the Premier League.
Guy Hastings
46   Posted 04/06/2011 at 15:00:15

@Gavin16 ? don't knock Lidl. Very popular across Europe. Foreign language students round my neck of the woods gasp with relief when they discover our branch. It means they don't have to eat that overpriced Tesco rubbish. In fact, I think I'll pop up there now for a few cans of their very drinkable 81p lager. That shpould get me through the lamentable England performance that awaits this afternoon.
James Stewart
47   Posted 04/06/2011 at 18:12:16

Great player and we actually looked a decent team when he was here and we had width and pace for once!

We have gone backwards since then in my opinion!
Agree with some of the above post though signing him wouldn't make business sense if we had to pay a transfer fee due to his age. A season long loan though would be an awesome signing.
Richard Dodd
48   Posted 04/06/2011 at 19:38:17

Just leave the job to Davey-he`s pretty good at it and is well paid to carry the responsibility!
Don Kiddick
49   Posted 04/06/2011 at 20:56:43

It wont happen....Everton can fuck anything up
Will Leaf
50   Posted 04/06/2011 at 21:43:13

I would love to see him back.

Very thoughtful and intelligent, fast, an eye for goal and would give 100% effort and loyalty to the cause. He also pepped up the squad no end whilst here.

During World Cup 2008 U.S. coverage, Everton were mentioned in dispatches more than the Sky 4 combined, thanks to Tim Howard and Donovan being Blues. I think done right, okay Everton we are talking about here, we could recoup at least a part of our expenditure in kit sales etc.

His MLS salary is reported to be $2.3m, which is well less than 30k/wk sterling. So no great obstacle there.

Problems mostly arise from the transfer fee, as the LA Galaxy will soon lose Beckham as his contract is in its final year. I can't see them parting with both their largest assets in such short order, unless someone will meet their inflated asking price. What looks a marketable asset to Everton obviously appears more so to the Galaxy in their home country.

I don't know how to interpret the Roma rumours, with that American investor saying he will set aside $14m for Donovan's transfer, but won't improve on his MLS salary! Fairly odd that, if true.

Great players voicing their desire to play/sign for Everton; not much of a rush there these days. I think it's refreshing.
James Hollister
51   Posted 05/06/2011 at 00:22:26

I think saying letting Yobo on loan was a massive risk is going completely OTT.

I have never rated the lad at all. As a Defender quite how he ever got into a national team is beyond me, let alone be a captain of it.

Those Nigerians must be absolutely desperate is all I can say to that.

We have way better players that could have easily stepped into his position and they did.

There are a couple of obvious problems regarding Donovan.

1. He is almost 30, and past his best.
2. I am not sure he really would improve on what we actually have.
2, 11 Million for a 30 year old, or soon to be, would clearly be a huge waste of money no matter what anyone says. LA Galaxy wouldn't let him go anyway.

As for improving things when he arrived. I am not entirely sure that he actually did at all. He had a number of faults that didn't sit right with me, when I watched him play.
Firstly he was slow as fuck..I mean seriously this isn't a European side, this is the Prem where you play at a 100mph..he was not able to keep up, hence why he was on the bench a fair bit.
Secondly his control and vision where not all that spectacular...compared to Pienaar he looked way off the mark in my opinion.

I am thankful we didn't get him on a permanent contract. I just don't think he was good enough for the premier league, and he certainly wouldn't have lasted a full season.

Too much goodwill to a player who is on a downward curve in his career along with his age not helping him.

He may have had the potential to be a decent premier league player when he was younger, but not today, just no thank you.
James Hollister
52   Posted 05/06/2011 at 00:33:52

Just wanted to add to my above post.

The problem Donovan has had in his career can be explained like this.

He has suffered from being in too many poor sides, which made his ability look way better than it really ever was. The MLS is a prime example. No offense but its a very weak league with very poor teams. If you have a decent ability, your going to stand out in what ever team you play for there.

Yet when you move to a European side, where the technical ability is way and above anything you have had to play with before, you can look like a real donkey if your true ability is just marginal.

From what I have seen of the lad over the years, is that he has been shoved into sides that have more technical ability than he can muster or keep up with.

It's no secret why he ended up back in the MLS, and it's hardly anything to do with wanting to return home, if your a player who actually wants to achieve something like playing in the prem or the La Liga.

The clubs he has been to, his technical ability has simply not matched up to those players he has played alongside. Eventually the club will release the player.

It's one thing to play for the USA and play in the MLS its another cracking a real team, something that he has never really been able to do.

As for the rumours of him going to Roma, he wouldn't last 2 minutes there...it would be akin to asking Hibbo to go to Inter Milan or AC Milan and be a regular starter haha.

Some players, you can't just place anywhere because their ability can rise and fall very quickly, but never quite making it to the very top..quite why anyone would ever take a risk on a player like this is beyond me...maybe a squad player at the very best or a big huge waste of money on the other hand.

Michael Brien
53   Posted 05/06/2011 at 13:13:29

To compare Donovan with Hibbert is absolutely stupid - and as regards not being able to " cut it" in Italy - well there have been many very celebrated players from the top flight who didn't do well in Italy e.g. Jimmy Greaves and Ian Rush to name but 2. Donovan wouldn't be a regular player in Roma's team - but that is not the issue here. The question is whether or not he would be a good signing for Everton. In my opinion, if he was available and the price was a good one - then yes he would be a good signing.

As I pointed out before - in 2003 we didn't follow up an opportunity to sign Brian McBride citing his age as being a major factor. He ended up going to Fulham and doing very well there. Had we signed him than maybe we could have saved money spent on other players e.g. Beattie.
Gavin Ramejkis
54   Posted 05/06/2011 at 15:09:04

Michael, oddly enough Fulham seem to like US players and still rate Dempsey, not a world beater but good solid midfielder with goals in him, like I said before I rate Donovan but can the club afford a high transfer fee without trying to get some of it back during his stay with merchandising or future sell on fee?
Michael Brien
55   Posted 05/06/2011 at 20:48:53

Gavin - it's a case of some you win and some you lose. We could no doubt get good money for Fellaini making a good profit - but will we make a profit on Yak ? ( who if I am correct was our record transfer prior to Fellani)

In the case of Donovan - somebody was quoting a fee of £11M ??? Was that on Football Manager ??I think that if the situation is right i.e. he is available to buy and the fee is reasonable then I would say go for it. At least we know he fits in at Goodison, so it would be a less of a risk - and who knows given the increasing profile of the US national team then there could be a good merchandising opportunity as a bonus - which could balance the lack of a future transfer profit.
James Boden
56   Posted 06/06/2011 at 12:47:43

Donovan had a great 8 week period for us but lets face facts that has come and gone and he will merely be a fond memory. I just miss the days of when some were trying to justify playing Anichebe at right wing over Donovan- YOU COULDN'T MAKE IT UP!
Jamie Crowley
57   Posted 06/06/2011 at 23:59:59

See James Flynn's comments-

This guy's age isn't as applicable as it is with most players. Donovan is in supreme shape and I think he'll be at top form for another 4-5 years.

IF the money can be found it would be an excellent signing.

For all those saying he's an average footballer? Smacks of British elitism. No offense intended, but England is far too full of themselves and continually thumbs their noses at American players. If Donovan were born in England, he'd be worth $30 million. And if I recall properly, didn't the US finish on top of the group this last World Cup - ahead of England? I dunno....

Lampard's 4 times the money, and he's absolute shit.

Donovan's detractors crack me up. Average footballer - Funny stuff. Loads of pace, scores, unbelievable team player, manager's dream, International... what else are you looking for?

If the price exceeds $11 million pass. Other than that I'd say good buy.

It's all a pipe dream anyhow. We'll never find the money.
James Flynn
58   Posted 07/06/2011 at 14:25:29

Jamie - And I forgot to add; LD at 29 has probably (at most) half the miles on his legs as Rooney does at 25.

Ah well, wishful thinking considered, we don't have the cash anyway. Jesus, he'd be an instant boost to EFC and wants to come. Very frustrating.
Peter Fearon
59   Posted 08/06/2011 at 16:37:47

If we could get Landon for £5mil, then we should go for it, no questions asked.

Landon Donovan holds status similar to that of Tiger Woods and David Beckham, which releases potential to capture the American market if the club was to market itself correctly (and let's face it, we haven't been too good at that in the past). The potential merchandising revenues from LD, would surely pay-off the investment.

Aside from that, he is a quality player and I can only imagine that we would have finished higher if we had had him in our team last season!