Members:   Log In Sign Up

Everton in Detroit

The US men's national team played a Gold Cup match in Detroit last night. I was interested to go to see Tim Howard and Landon Donovan - but to also gauge just how popular football is in Motown.

Prior to the match, and despite this only being the 2nd time since 1994 that a big game has been played in Detroit, the press gave nearly no coverage. A respectable 28,000 turned up to see an elastic Howard and a fizzing Donovan beat Canada.

What surprised me the most about this game, and a lot is made of the marketing potential of Howard (and LD) for Everton is that I counted 5 Everton shirts mingling in the crowd - more than anyone bar Barcelona - pretty impressive for a footballing tundra no?
Ed Bottomley, Detroit     Posted 08/06/2011 at 05:11:50

Comments

David Hallwood
1   Posted 08/06/2011 at 19:02:33

Thanks for that Ed, but it has been said many times that it's the Everton board we're talking about (one of the things that winds me up is how everyone puts the blame exclusively on Kenwright. BTW I'm not defending him but IMO the entire board should share the responsibility) and a marketing opportunity is like an open goal to Big Vic-something to miss. Like many Evertonians the period that Donovan was with us saw us play some title winning football, and given how last season panned out it makes me howl with frustration that none of the board would take a calculated gamble in buying him-talk about the dickless wonders.

OK it might have put us in hock but surely there was an opportunity to get some of that back in the biggest sports market in the globe. I wonder how many draws would have turned into wins with a player that has a good eye for a goal. Oh Jesus! I?m starting to reminisce.
Sur Jo
2   Posted 08/06/2011 at 21:00:57

I would like to add that it was the U.S. national team on display and not Everton. I do not know how Everton marketing would superimpose their brand on a national team simply because there were two players from Everton. It is implausible to think that one will win Everton fans profitably in a friendly involving national teams playing in Detroit! I am in no way defending the marketing people at Everton, but sometimes what is being asked of them is exaggerated. By the way, Vic is playing a friendly in Nigeria. Should the Everton marketing people race there too?

Ed, give me a shout bro and we can toss a beer in a pub next time Everton is live on TV.
Alex Kociuba
3   Posted 08/06/2011 at 23:00:10

Aside from the poverty in Nigeria, football is a major sport there. North America and most of Asia are good locations because of their potential fan bases, relative wealth and slow growing interest in football.
Ed Bottomley
4   Posted 09/06/2011 at 01:24:39

Sur Jo - My email is Ed.bottomley@gmail.com
Tony Eastwood
5   Posted 09/06/2011 at 04:03:54

I work in a large high school in southern New Hampshire. It is mostly staffed by the baseball/American football fans (no teams of any note in this part of the world so it's Red Sox or NY Yankees for baseball... and I'm not sure what for American football. Of the few that do follow proper football they are bandwagoners with MU and CFC being the only teams of interest, despite their national team's goalie playing for EFC... You would think there would be some loyalty by association, but no... and from conversations I've had, they just don't see things that way. The mentality here (as far as "soccer" is concerned) is to follow the winners (most of them don't understand the concept of a draw either). All the marketing in the world isn't going to bring in U.S. merchandising revenue unless we are a top of the table club with two or three fashionable team members... and we're just not that sort of club.
I'm really hoping I can get to DC and/or Philadelphia for the pre-season games over here in July. It will be interesting to see how many EFC shirts are in attendance. It will be hotter than hell though... unless we have more rain and tornados, and then it will be unfeasibly wet and windy. Oh for a good old tan from standing in the English rain...
Rob Young
6   Posted 09/06/2011 at 10:15:50

Make no mistake, I would love to have Landon Donovan te return to Goodison but no way did he make the impact people during hos loan spell as people like te make out.
The lad did okay. Nothing more than that. If I remember correctly he was hoorible in a certain game (Man City at Goodison?) an more than that, Vic Anichebe was favoured over him for a few matches. Yes, when he made his debut at The Emirates he changed our style, as we were finnaly having dangermen on both flanks.
Good player, could do very well for us, if Moyes is brave enough to change the tactics and use Donovan in the proper way.
Karl Meighan
7   Posted 10/06/2011 at 08:21:24

Rob apart from Donavan doing well on the pitch he brought a great attitude with him.

The lad bought into are club and a special buzz and bond was formed.

It wasn't just about money or proving he could compete in a big league for himself, he gave his all and was proud to be a Evertonian even when the club wasn't playing imo.

The determination to produce good football for a new club seems to come second to money or even the weather for most footballers.

Footballers who show the commitment of Donavan are a dying breed add that to the undoubted pace and skill as well as chipping in with goals from midfield i imagine thats the kind of player managers dream of.
Jamie Barlow
8   Posted 10/06/2011 at 12:07:56

I watched the game at Millers Ale House in Orlando. There was about 400 hundred people in the pub itself with about 50 televisions and when USA scored, there wasn't a flicker. They're just not bothered.