Show him the door.

According to Goal.com (accordingly I will wait to see if it's true!) Heitinga is threatening to leave the club due to the lack of European football and he suggests he could move elsewhere in order to find it during the summer.

' Now apart from the fact that I can readily recall a few instances of inept play and cowardice in the challenge on his part last season which at least in two cases led directly to goals conceded and that therefore he is at least in part responsible for our shortfall, if this turns out to be true then I think the club should show this prick the door.

Somehow I don't think there will be a long queue of 'big' clubs waiting for his signature on a contract.

Dave Roberts, Runcorn     Posted 09/06/2011 at 08:52:46

Comments

Liam Reilly
1   Posted 09/06/2011 at 12:39:32

If it's on Goal.com, so it must be true. I'd personally give far more weight to BlueKipper's comments:

Which says he's staying.

As long as he's an Everton footballer we should be getting behind him. These rumours are just space fillers with no substance behind them, because they can say what they like.

I'm only surprised it doesn't say "An insider says..." blah blah
Steven Pendleton
2   Posted 09/06/2011 at 12:49:16

The guy is class and is stating that he wants to play at the highest level. Fuck, why would one want to stay at a club where the chairman has no ambition and is penniless. Couldn't blame him if he did go to a champions league club could you Dave?
Erik Dols
3   Posted 09/06/2011 at 12:42:32

The article originally is from the Daily Star who don't quote a source but I doubt it they spoke to him in person. The article is dated today (June 9th) and claims he said these things 'last night'. Last night, Heitinga played 90 mins for Holland in their friendly match against Uruguay. The game was played in Uruguay. The Dutch squad left Uruguay immediately after the match was finished. It seems unlikely that Johnny found the time to speak to the press and it seems unlikely that the daily star send a journo to Uruguay to get a quote from Heitinga.

I can't find anything on Dutch sites either. I don't believe the article for one second.
Nick Wall
4   Posted 09/06/2011 at 12:54:33

Pity that you didn't wait to see whether it was true. The Echo tells a very different story : http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/everton-fc/everton-fc-news/2011/06/09/everton-fc-s-dutch-international-john-heitinga-is-set-to-reject-the-advances-of-former-club-ajax-100252-28847517/
Steve Pugh
5   Posted 09/06/2011 at 12:54:12

If fans called me a prick I wouldn't want to stay at the club. Nor would I put extra effort in to make them happy.
Jon Ferguson
6   Posted 09/06/2011 at 12:56:49

Depending on which news story you read Heitinga has either rejected a move to Ajax stating he is enjoying his time at Everton, or he is desperate to move because we are not in Europe. I tend not to believe anything until it is on the BBC website to be honest (although I read all the stories anyway).

I rate Heitinga as a centre back and would play him in my first choice team; however, as he is not likely to get a place there, and he is useless in midfield, I would sell him for, in the region of, £5 ? 6 million. That money could fund a third choice centre back and contribute (along with the funds from the sales of Vaughan, Yakubu, Yobo and maybe Bilyaletdinov (I would love to add Anichebe to the list, but doubt we will sell him) towards buying either a forward or a pacey winger.
Ryan Holroyd
7   Posted 09/06/2011 at 12:56:47

If he's not happy then he should put in a transfer request. Of course he wont do that because he'll lose £££££££.

Typical 21st century footballer. A not very good one at that.
Mark Hill
8   Posted 09/06/2011 at 13:11:11

Load of crap, esp coming from what i would call a red top site....load of sheeeeeeiiiiitttee!!

unless its on the OS then why bother listening..? there is simply no point...!

Heitinga is an Everton player end of. Get behind him the same way you get behind every player...All the stuff that has been reported is heresay anyway..isn't it?
Chris Bannantyne
9   Posted 09/06/2011 at 13:11:51

Unlike some players, I think Heitinga would rather cement himself a position in the starting 11, then try and achieve his ambitions with this club. I don't think he wants to just ride the coat tails of the man u's of this world and achieve "success" that way, a la Lescott.

However I believe he would like to move on and try elsewhere if he can't seem to cement himself in the squad. I think he has true ambition, not this pseudo ambition of so many footballers who want to jump on the first gravy train that comes their way.

Heitinga is a first choice centreback for me, don't know why he can't get a run there.
Ian Kearney
10   Posted 09/06/2011 at 13:39:46

Well you didnt wait to see if it was true, you wrote an reactionary article based on a dubious source.
James Stewart
11   Posted 09/06/2011 at 14:37:03

gutterpress
Andrew Heaton
12   Posted 09/06/2011 at 14:35:41

I'd personally wait till I heard it from the horses mouth. As for there not being a large queue for him, He's a dutch international who has played largely out of position for us! I reckon plenty of clubs would want his services!!
David Barks
13   Posted 09/06/2011 at 15:36:33

Threatening to leave the club?? He says he misses playing in those European competitions. He says he hates having to watch those games on the TV on Tuesday and Wednesday, and even Thursday. He says as a sportsman you seek the highest level. And then says: "Everton is a genuine big people?s club. The atmosphere at Goodison is unrivalled". Sounds to me like he is saying what every single Everton player and supporter is saying, they miss being in Europe and Everton should be at least in the Europa League. How exactly is that controversial. And you recalling a couple of instances that lead to goals. I could do the same with Jags ( a few own goals and lack of positioning), Distin (poor decisions and poor positioning), Fellaini (poor pass giving away possession leading to a goal) AND EVERY OTHER FUCKING PLAYER BECAUSE EVERY SINGLE PLAYER ON THIS EARTH MAKES FUCKING MISTAKES!
David Crowe
14   Posted 09/06/2011 at 15:48:58

Goal.com is a joke, some of the stuff it comes out with is actually quite funny. I'm convinced they make half their reports up off the top of their heads. I was sure he just said he wanted to stay anyway.
Luke O'Farrell
15   Posted 09/06/2011 at 15:48:59

#12 David well said!

There is nothing in the article saying he wants to up and leave Everton.

I'm sick of people jumping on any comments that are supposedly from Heitinga and taking them as gospel.

Personally, I think he is refreshingly honest and ambitious; and there is nothing wrong with that in the modern game.

Arteta is also refreshingly honest; he thinks we need a lot of investment in the squad to get better. Something most fans agree with and I for one am glad that as a player he has noticed this.

It rather listen to players say things like that than Phil Neville, spouting crap about how we're going places and don't need investment- Wake up and smell the coffee Phil, your living in a dream world.

John Audsley
16   Posted 09/06/2011 at 15:55:43

Utter crap

Show him the door!!????

If Johnny didnt miss Euro Nights etc id criticise him

The guy is ambitious end off. I like his attitude and arrogance, makes a difference from most "yes boss" footballers.

His shove on Cashley was a top tactic as well!!
John Crook
17   Posted 09/06/2011 at 16:24:49

It's a fill-the-space shit-stirring lazy piece of journalism. Heitinga said in article about 2 months ago about being on the couch watching Euro games and missing being involved.

The writer has used a two month old story and twisted around how he wants - well I suppose we got a little bit of press coverage this morning whilst almost every other team signs someone apart from us!

Brian Waring
18   Posted 09/06/2011 at 17:33:09

Chria ( #8 ) If he wants to fulfill his ambitions, then he would be better going to a club that actually shows some ambition.
Brian Waring
19   Posted 09/06/2011 at 17:39:59

Sorry. meant to say Chris.
Dick Anderson
20   Posted 09/06/2011 at 17:45:18

Last season he said he would ride a bike with a flag to join Barcelona and this season he's again hinting that he wants a move.

The problem Johnny has though is that he's not as good as he thinks he is.

He's been unable to hold down a regular spot in the Everton defence. Both Distin and Jagielka are better players.

Johnny can keep hinting at a move all he wants but until he proves his worth on the field very few top European sides are going to be looking at him.
Steve Pugh
21   Posted 09/06/2011 at 20:38:17

Dick, where is he hinting that he wants a move? He has said that he wants to stay at Everton and play European football.

This is a guy ommited to improving the club he is at, not one looking to leave.

Give him a break
Luke O'Farrell
22   Posted 09/06/2011 at 21:10:21

Jagielka, better than Heitinga. Don't see that to be honest, Jagielka's only true ability is his "world class" last ditch tackling; often needed to recover from his own mistakes.

Jagielka's positioning is poor, he isn't very good in the air, is slow and his distribution is league 1; at best.

I'd take Heitinga any day; although Jags is one of Moyes' favourites so it seems we're stuck with Jags now.
Karl Meighan
23   Posted 09/06/2011 at 22:23:17

If he does stay try him at rightback, thats were Moyes bought him for wasn't it?

Dick he might ride a bike to Barcelona to sign for Barca but the thing is he would need a bike to catch Pique or Puyol.

If he does go i reckon the Bundesliga Hamburg or someone like that.

He thinks because he played in the world cup final the big clubs want him what he forgets is his partner ooja the mug who played for Blackburn also played.
John Shaw
24   Posted 09/06/2011 at 23:08:51

Jagielka is considerably better than Johnny Shiteinga, in my opinion.

I find it quite amusing to hear people on here slagging Jags off for making last ditch tackles, I'm sure Arsenal would have achieved far more in the last three years or so had they had him playing for them on a regular basis ! Every succesful side has a Jags type in defence, Vidic at Utd, Puyol at Barca, Terry at Chelsea, Kompany at City.

One thing you'll never see is Jagielka shit out of a 50/50 and cost us two goals, like that shit house Heitinga did twice last season, Dutch hard man my arse !!!
Luke O'Farrell
25   Posted 10/06/2011 at 00:35:57

The difference between Vidic, Puyol, Terry, Kompany and Jagielka: they can all pass the ball to other people wearing the same shirt as them... they don't lump it randomly in the general direction of the left wing. Jags seems to think we have some 6ft 6 left winger out there, obviously.

John, what about Jags poor positioning that cost us a goal against Stoke, leading to his own goal..

Also like I said originally, most of his last ditch tackles are recoveries for his own initial mistake. Thats why I can criticise them.
Karl Meighan
26   Posted 10/06/2011 at 08:05:58

Luke@25 His last ditch tackles also cover other players mistakes dont kid yourself in thinking Jags is the only defender who makes them.

Jageilka was way below his best for most of last season and his distribution does annoy at times but all centrebacks hit long aimless diagonal balls at times there not supposed to be like Sheedy, Hoddle or Brady.

Jageilka is the best defender at Everton imo, Heitinga is to slow to be a top class centreback and he doesn't exactly dominate in the air either. I would be tempted to play Heitinga rightback thats the position i believe Moyes signed him for.
Luke O'Farrell
27   Posted 10/06/2011 at 16:06:38

At right back, he would be more out of his depth than midfield. Wingers would have a field day, he makes Neville look like Beckford.

Being able to pass the ball is also part of being a defender though whether we like to admit it or not though. Therefore I would say Distin is easily our best defender; 2 Man Utd games aside. Is better than Jags defensively and much better in postion.
Dave Roberts
28   Posted 10/06/2011 at 17:02:28

Sorry if I upset a few people but I did make the point that what I was saying depended on whether the report was true or not! His reported comments appeared in four newspapers and on BBC teletext and while I appreciate they may all have taken the news from the same source I do get the impression that there are just too many of these kind of comments attributed to him to be coincidentally and persistently inaccurate.

Sometimes I think Heitinga likes to ride two horses at once, reported in the Echo and the OS (where else!!) as saying he wants to stay and fight for his place blah-di-blah-di-blah, yet letting it be known he would be open to a move to a 'bigger' club. It happens too often with him for it to be wrong every time. Heitinga did nothing last season that would make me fret if he left although I was, admittedly, impressed with many of his performances the previous season. As somebody above said, he is not as good as he thinks he is. He may play for Holland, but this is not the Holland of Neeskens and Cruyff! In the World Cup he was so ordinary he wasn't noticed until he got sent off.

Every player in the blue shirt will feel disappointed that we didn't make Europe this season but nobody else has been reported as suggesting he would like to move in order to play in Europe. If that report is wrong then fine, then the report is wrong and we don't have to concern ourselves about it. But if it turns out to be true, then show him the door. Enough is enough from our Johnny.
Karl Meighan
29   Posted 10/06/2011 at 19:31:16

Luke@27 How would in be more out of his depth at fullback? He has played a lot of his career there.

Moyes bought him after the failed attempt to get Naughton from Sheff Utd i dont think that was a coincidence and if my memory is serving me he started his first couple of games for us at fullback.

A decent enough tackler and passer of the football and capable of doing a marking job, good fullback qualities imo.

I agree passing is part of being a defender and Distan had a good season but his mistakes are always likely to cost a goal which is why i would take Jageilka over him anyday.
Luke O'Farrell
30   Posted 10/06/2011 at 21:02:55

Karl

Heitinga has refused to play right back in the past; that is how much he doesn't like playing there. He is a centre half and that is all. He will never be a right back or midfielder as his qualities suit neither position.
Thomas Williams
31   Posted 12/06/2011 at 01:10:08

good an extra 7-8 m in the coffers, plus 55k a week better off as well
Karl Meighan
32   Posted 12/06/2011 at 10:16:54

Luke@30 He plays were told whether he likes it or not, and i dont remember him refusing to play rightback for us if he did he should already be gone.