I went down to The Excelsior today and asked Peter the manager if it was possible to book the back room after the Watford game on 17 August 2019.

Peter said it would be no problem, asked me how many would be coming? I said I had no idea, maybe between 6 to 20. He said that would be okay and he would ring me a week before the game to see how many would be coming.

Andy Crooks, from Belfast, is making another welcome return to see this game, so whoever comes will be welcome to say hello to Andy, a staunch Everton fan from across The Irish Sea.

Reader Comments (46)

Andy Crooks
1 Posted 03/07/2019 at 21:25:58
Thanks for booking that, Dave. I booked hotel and flights. I couldn't get the same hotel as last time but I've booked the Ibis Styles in Dale Street. I think it might be near the bar. Can't wait!!
Brian Williams
2 Posted 03/07/2019 at 21:32:09
I'll be there boys.
Come on the rest of you get yer names down and let's get the numbers up. Be good to see some who haven't been before as well!
Ray Roche
3 Posted 03/07/2019 at 21:38:35
I’ll do my best to be there 👍
Hopefully for a bit longer than I managed for the last meeting.
David Pearl
4 Posted 03/07/2019 at 21:44:51
Ray might be a chance to recruit some more golfers!
I will drop by if I'm in the country.
Might check out the new Dixie hotel
John McFarlane Snr
5 Posted 03/07/2019 at 22:04:03
Hi Dave, you can book me in, and as Brian [2] says, it would be nice to see some newcomers attending, new faces and possibly some fresh input.
Peter Mills
6 Posted 03/07/2019 at 23:01:02
Tough call for me, Dave. Would love to catch up with everyone when Andy comes over, but after first home game of the season is usually a time for catching up with other family and friends who have been at the match.

I know you can’t please everyone! Hope it’s a great evening.

Fran Mitchell
7 Posted 04/07/2019 at 00:55:22
I'm back in the UK soon, so should make this, hooefully will be able to gwt tickets for the game too.
Dave Abrahams
8 Posted 04/07/2019 at 09:14:03
Peter (6), fair enough Peter, and I know it will be awkward for some, who would like to come, because it is a Saturday game, all are welcome and I hope you make it Fran (7) I think a lot on here, like me, enjoy your posts.
Derek Knox
9 Posted 04/07/2019 at 14:47:00
Hi Dave, thanks for booking the Excelsior again, I will make a note, and am almost 100% certain to attend, and have another chance to meet up with all the lads.
Dave Abrahams
10 Posted 04/07/2019 at 15:11:35
Thanks Derek, I put on another thread last week that I hope you didn’t mind me asking the manager of The Excelsior to book us in for the Watford game, as you did all the spadework in finding that spot earlier this year, it will be great to see you again.
Bill Griffiths
11 Posted 04/07/2019 at 15:23:48
Sorry guys I'll not be able to attend. Unfortunately that day is our 45th wedding anniversary & as the game was on I've booked my whole family in the Premier Inn at Aintree to celebrate an Everton victory as well as our anniversary.
Don't think I'd be too popular if I tried bagging off to come to the Excelsior.
Sure you will. Have a great time celebrating a victory by the Blues.
Derek Knox
12 Posted 04/07/2019 at 15:29:48
Dave, not at all mate, I'm just hoping that we will get a decent number attending, it's an ideal venue for it. It was a bit unfortunate last time that it coincided with so many other things, Easter Sunday, a belting hot day, and the RS being on the TV, directly after our game with Man U.
Mike Gaynes
13 Posted 04/07/2019 at 15:58:26
Clicking Expedia right now to check on airfares.
Dave Abrahams
14 Posted 04/07/2019 at 16:35:45
Bill (11), congratulations on your wedding anniversary and don't worry about the meeting, in fact my mates got a twenty seater minibus so after two or three drinks in The Excelsior we'll make our way up to The Premier Inn at Aintree, it will be a lovely surprise for your family.

They will be made up, especially your wife!!!

Neil Copeland
15 Posted 04/07/2019 at 21:39:44
Hi Dave, I will try and make sure I get there this time. Really looking forward to meeting everyone finally so hope you don’t mind if I come along. Thanks for arranging things.

Bill, that’s 2 life sentences! Only kidding, congratulations.

Dave Abrahams
17 Posted 04/07/2019 at 21:46:55
Neil (16), yes, come along you are very welcome, the more the merrier.
Dave Abrahams
18 Posted 05/07/2019 at 09:23:37
To Michael and Lyndon, I’ve been very ignorant the last few days regards to this thread, I’ve never thanked you for making this meeting available through ToffeeWeb, it just came to me now, so sincere apologies for not thanking you both sooner.

These meetings were initially started by John McFarlane last year so thanks to John as well and to all those who come to the meetings.

Martin Nicholls
19 Posted 05/07/2019 at 10:03:57
Dave - would love to come but as has been the case with previous meetings, other things prevent me from doing so. In fact, I'm going to miss the game itself for a bit of a family reunion in Oxford on that same day. Would normally try to postpone/cancel the family do so I could get to the match but on this occasion it centres around my oldest living relative and I know, given his age, that I might live to regret it if I did so.
John G Davies
20 Posted 05/07/2019 at 10:12:32
Is the meeting open to everyone, Dave?

Be great to put faces to the ToffeeWebbers names.

Dave Abrahams
21 Posted 05/07/2019 at 10:57:18
Martin, don’t worry mate, understand your situation, and family must always come first, enjoy your day in Oxford.
Paul Johnson
22 Posted 05/07/2019 at 11:33:03
Dave, I hope that comment was tongue in cheek. Nothing is more important than Saturday 3pm. No matter where or what you are doing.
Dave Abrahams
23 Posted 05/07/2019 at 13:00:51
Paul (22), I understand what you are saying. I love the Blues, but sometimes they have to be put aside. I mean I missed Everton beating Nottm Forest 6-0, with Alex Young having one of his best days. We drove past the ground going to Kirkby and drove past it coming back, while the game was on, the day I got married.

Was it worth it? Definitely: until Tony came along in 1969!!!

Jack Convery
24 Posted 05/07/2019 at 14:00:05
I hope you all have a great day. I recommend those who want to go on go to the Premier Inn Aintree and ensure the DJ does not play YNWA but plays the Graham Gouldman (10cc) penned Forever Everton with you lot giving it loads. It will be the most memorable 45th Wedding Anniversary ever. Ill health prevents me from going but I'll be there in spirit.
Dave Abrahams
25 Posted 05/07/2019 at 15:22:16
John G (20), yes you will very welcome, it’s open to anyone who wants to come.
John G Davies
26 Posted 05/07/2019 at 15:37:17
Thanks Dave,
Should be a great day, hopefully after 3 points for the lads.
John McFarlane Snr
27 Posted 05/07/2019 at 16:05:50
Hi all, my intention for suggesting the first 'ToffeeWeb' get together, was to thank those who expressed an interest in my wellbeing after I received major surgery, and to put faces to names.

This event will be the 4th gathering in 13 months, thanks to the sterling efforts of Peter Mills, Derek Knox, and on this occasion Dave Abrahams. Attendances have steadily increased and I hope that in time, such meetings will become an important part of the 'ToffeeWeb' experience. Best wishes John.

Paul Johnson
28 Posted 05/07/2019 at 18:08:12
Hi Dave did the other half appreciate the sacrifice
Tony Abrahams
29 Posted 05/07/2019 at 18:50:56
I think it must have been the biggest mistake she ever made Paul!
Bill Griffiths
30 Posted 05/07/2019 at 19:27:11
Dave, Neil, thanks for the good wishes.

Like you Dave, I too was guilty of bad planning back in 1974 and picked 17th August as our wedding day giving little thought to the footy thus missing the game.

Not as big a miss as yours though, we drew 0-0 with newly promoted Derby County.

Dave Abrahams
31 Posted 05/07/2019 at 19:28:51
Paul(28), she’s not really interested in football although she always wants Everton to win, mostly for me and the grandkids and the biggest mistake she ever made @ (29).
Dave Abrahams
32 Posted 05/07/2019 at 19:32:29
Bill (30), l hope you and your family have a great day and night, best wishes.
Rob Halligan
33 Posted 05/07/2019 at 20:00:47
Hi lads. I'm hoping to make an appearance at the Excelsior.
Brian Williams
34 Posted 05/07/2019 at 20:02:43
Rob, you can go on after the jugglers mate. 😁
Ray Roche
35 Posted 05/07/2019 at 20:04:07
🤣
Mike Gaynes
36 Posted 05/07/2019 at 20:10:59
Brian, you're a beauty.

Now I REALLY gotta get that air ticket.

Rob Halligan
37 Posted 05/07/2019 at 20:16:25
If Mike is Deffo coming over, then I will deffo be there, just for the pint that he owes me!!
Eric Myles
38 Posted 05/07/2019 at 20:21:06
Fran #7, try StubHub, that's where I got mine for the first game of laat season.

Mike #13, check https://matrix.itasoftware.com it's what travel agents use and will give you the best prices.

Eric Myles
39 Posted 05/07/2019 at 20:52:57
My sister made the mistake od getting married on a derby day. Her husband should have known better being one of them.

Anyway everyone had those portable wirelesses (it was the '60') with earpieces. Looked like the whole of the NSA were at the wedding, much less conspicuous now with bluetooth I guess.

The priest gave the game away though when we scored and he punched the air and screamed yessssssssss.

Paul Tran
40 Posted 05/07/2019 at 21:07:37
Would love to fly down for this, Dave. 17th August is the big Highland Games day here in Nairn and as usual family & friends are flocking up here for a long weekend.

Bill Watson
41 Posted 05/07/2019 at 23:33:40
Hope to make it again.

I was married in the close season so don't have any problem with clashing dates!!

Bill Watson
42 Posted 05/07/2019 at 23:33:40
Hope to make it again.

Bill Watson
43 Posted 05/07/2019 at 23:36:26
I enjoyed the get together so much I thought I'd post that twice!

Apologies but I no longer have an edit facility.

Mike Gaynes
44 Posted 05/07/2019 at 23:56:57
You got it, Rob.

Thanks, Eric, will check it out.

Derek Knox
45 Posted 06/07/2019 at 04:18:37
Bill 42, & 43, that could be classed as bigamy! :-)
Dave Abrahams
46 Posted 06/07/2019 at 09:10:00
Paul (40), pity you can’t make it, I can vouch that you would have enriched the company, particularly the ones who like a bet.

Bill (42)it will be nice to see you again.

John G Davies
47 Posted 06/07/2019 at 09:25:07
A few pints and a few bets. What's not to like?

Paul, checking ante post. Your lad got an entry in CH?