I went down to The Excelsior today and asked Peter the manager if it was possible to book the back room after the Watford game on 17 August 2019.

Peter said it would be no problem, asked me how many would be coming? I said I had no idea, maybe between 6 to 20. He said that would be okay and he would ring me a week before the game to see how many would be coming.

Andy Crooks, from Belfast, is making another welcome return to see this game, so whoever comes will be welcome to say hello to Andy, a staunch Everton fan from across The Irish Sea.

Reader Comments (81)

Andy Crooks
1 Posted 03/07/2019 at 21:25:58
Thanks for booking that, Dave. I booked hotel and flights. I couldn't get the same hotel as last time but I've booked the Ibis Styles in Dale Street. I think it might be near the bar. Can't wait!!
Brian Williams
2 Posted 03/07/2019 at 21:32:09
I'll be there boys.
Come on the rest of you get yer names down and let's get the numbers up. Be good to see some who haven't been before as well!
Ray Roche
3 Posted 03/07/2019 at 21:38:35
I’ll do my best to be there 👍
Hopefully for a bit longer than I managed for the last meeting.
David Pearl
4 Posted 03/07/2019 at 21:44:51
Ray might be a chance to recruit some more golfers!
I will drop by if I'm in the country.
Might check out the new Dixie hotel
John McFarlane Snr
5 Posted 03/07/2019 at 22:04:03
Hi Dave, you can book me in, and as Brian [2] says, it would be nice to see some newcomers attending, new faces and possibly some fresh input.
Peter Mills
6 Posted 03/07/2019 at 23:01:02
Tough call for me, Dave. Would love to catch up with everyone when Andy comes over, but after first home game of the season is usually a time for catching up with other family and friends who have been at the match.

I know you can’t please everyone! Hope it’s a great evening.

Fran Mitchell
7 Posted 04/07/2019 at 00:55:22
I'm back in the UK soon, so should make this, hooefully will be able to gwt tickets for the game too.
8 Posted 04/07/2019 at 09:14:03
Peter (6), fair enough Peter, and I know it will be awkward for some, who would like to come, because it is a Saturday game, all are welcome and I hope you make it Fran (7) I think a lot on here, like me, enjoy your posts.
9 Posted 04/07/2019 at 14:47:00
Hi Dave, thanks for booking the Excelsior again, I will make a note, and am almost 100% certain to attend, and have another chance to meet up with all the lads.
10 Posted 04/07/2019 at 15:11:35
Thanks Derek, I put on another thread last week that I hope you didn’t mind me asking the manager of The Excelsior to book us in for the Watford game, as you did all the spadework in finding that spot earlier this year, it will be great to see you again.
Bill Griffiths
11 Posted 04/07/2019 at 15:23:48
Sorry guys I'll not be able to attend. Unfortunately that day is our 45th wedding anniversary & as the game was on I've booked my whole family in the Premier Inn at Aintree to celebrate an Everton victory as well as our anniversary.
Don't think I'd be too popular if I tried bagging off to come to the Excelsior.
Sure you will. Have a great time celebrating a victory by the Blues.
12 Posted 04/07/2019 at 15:29:48
Dave, not at all mate, I'm just hoping that we will get a decent number attending, it's an ideal venue for it. It was a bit unfortunate last time that it coincided with so many other things, Easter Sunday, a belting hot day, and the RS being on the TV, directly after our game with Man U.
Mike Gaynes
13 Posted 04/07/2019 at 15:58:26
Clicking Expedia right now to check on airfares.
14 Posted 04/07/2019 at 16:35:45
Bill (11), congratulations on your wedding anniversary and don't worry about the meeting, in fact my mates got a twenty seater minibus so after two or three drinks in The Excelsior we'll make our way up to The Premier Inn at Aintree, it will be a lovely surprise for your family.

They will be made up, especially your wife!!!

Neil Copeland
15 Posted 04/07/2019 at 21:39:44
Hi Dave, I will try and make sure I get there this time. Really looking forward to meeting everyone finally so hope you don’t mind if I come along. Thanks for arranging things.

Bill, that’s 2 life sentences! Only kidding, congratulations.

17 Posted 04/07/2019 at 21:46:55
Neil (16), yes, come along you are very welcome, the more the merrier.
18 Posted 05/07/2019 at 09:23:37
To Michael and Lyndon, I’ve been very ignorant the last few days regards to this thread, I’ve never thanked you for making this meeting available through ToffeeWeb, it just came to me now, so sincere apologies for not thanking you both sooner.

These meetings were initially started by John McFarlane last year so thanks to John as well and to all those who come to the meetings.

Martin Nicholls
19 Posted 05/07/2019 at 10:03:57
Dave - would love to come but as has been the case with previous meetings, other things prevent me from doing so. In fact, I'm going to miss the game itself for a bit of a family reunion in Oxford on that same day. Would normally try to postpone/cancel the family do so I could get to the match but on this occasion it centres around my oldest living relative and I know, given his age, that I might live to regret it if I did so.
John G Davies
20 Posted 05/07/2019 at 10:12:32
Is the meeting open to everyone, Dave?

Be great to put faces to the ToffeeWebbers names.

21 Posted 05/07/2019 at 10:57:18
Martin, don’t worry mate, understand your situation, and family must always come first, enjoy your day in Oxford.
Paul Johnson
22 Posted 05/07/2019 at 11:33:03
Dave, I hope that comment was tongue in cheek. Nothing is more important than Saturday 3pm. No matter where or what you are doing.
23 Posted 05/07/2019 at 13:00:51
Paul (22), I understand what you are saying. I love the Blues, but sometimes they have to be put aside. I mean I missed Everton beating Nottm Forest 6-0, with Alex Young having one of his best days. We drove past the ground going to Kirkby and drove past it coming back, while the game was on, the day I got married.

Was it worth it? Definitely: until Tony came along in 1969!!!

Jack Convery
24 Posted 05/07/2019 at 14:00:05
I hope you all have a great day. I recommend those who want to go on go to the Premier Inn Aintree and ensure the DJ does not play YNWA but plays the Graham Gouldman (10cc) penned Forever Everton with you lot giving it loads. It will be the most memorable 45th Wedding Anniversary ever. Ill health prevents me from going but I'll be there in spirit.
25 Posted 05/07/2019 at 15:22:16
John G (20), yes you will very welcome, it’s open to anyone who wants to come.
John G Davies
26 Posted 05/07/2019 at 15:37:17
Thanks Dave,
Should be a great day, hopefully after 3 points for the lads.
John McFarlane Snr
27 Posted 05/07/2019 at 16:05:50
Hi all, my intention for suggesting the first 'ToffeeWeb' get together, was to thank those who expressed an interest in my wellbeing after I received major surgery, and to put faces to names.

This event will be the 4th gathering in 13 months, thanks to the sterling efforts of Peter Mills, Derek Knox, and on this occasion Dave Abrahams. Attendances have steadily increased and I hope that in time, such meetings will become an important part of the 'ToffeeWeb' experience. Best wishes John.

Paul Johnson
28 Posted 05/07/2019 at 18:08:12
Hi Dave did the other half appreciate the sacrifice
Tony Abrahams
29 Posted 05/07/2019 at 18:50:56
I think it must have been the biggest mistake she ever made Paul!
Bill Griffiths
30 Posted 05/07/2019 at 19:27:11
Dave, Neil, thanks for the good wishes.

Like you Dave, I too was guilty of bad planning back in 1974 and picked 17th August as our wedding day giving little thought to the footy thus missing the game.

Not as big a miss as yours though, we drew 0-0 with newly promoted Derby County.

31 Posted 05/07/2019 at 19:28:51
Paul(28), she’s not really interested in football although she always wants Everton to win, mostly for me and the grandkids and the biggest mistake she ever made @ (29).
32 Posted 05/07/2019 at 19:32:29
Bill (30), l hope you and your family have a great day and night, best wishes.
Rob Halligan
33 Posted 05/07/2019 at 20:00:47
Hi lads. I'm hoping to make an appearance at the Excelsior.
Brian Williams
34 Posted 05/07/2019 at 20:02:43
Rob, you can go on after the jugglers mate. 😁
Ray Roche
35 Posted 05/07/2019 at 20:04:07
🤣
Mike Gaynes
36 Posted 05/07/2019 at 20:10:59
Brian, you're a beauty.

Now I REALLY gotta get that air ticket.

Rob Halligan
37 Posted 05/07/2019 at 20:16:25
If Mike is Deffo coming over, then I will deffo be there, just for the pint that he owes me!!
Eric Myles
38 Posted 05/07/2019 at 20:21:06
Fran #7, try StubHub, that's where I got mine for the first game of laat season.

Mike #13, check https://matrix.itasoftware.com it's what travel agents use and will give you the best prices.

Eric Myles
39 Posted 05/07/2019 at 20:52:57
My sister made the mistake od getting married on a derby day. Her husband should have known better being one of them.

Anyway everyone had those portable wirelesses (it was the '60') with earpieces. Looked like the whole of the NSA were at the wedding, much less conspicuous now with bluetooth I guess.

The priest gave the game away though when we scored and he punched the air and screamed yessssssssss.

Paul Tran
40 Posted 05/07/2019 at 21:07:37
Would love to fly down for this, Dave. 17th August is the big Highland Games day here in Nairn and as usual family & friends are flocking up here for a long weekend.

Bill Watson
41 Posted 05/07/2019 at 23:33:40
Hope to make it again.

I was married in the close season so don't have any problem with clashing dates!!

Bill Watson
42 Posted 05/07/2019 at 23:33:40
Hope to make it again.

Bill Watson
43 Posted 05/07/2019 at 23:36:26
I enjoyed the get together so much I thought I'd post that twice!

Apologies but I no longer have an edit facility.

Mike Gaynes
44 Posted 05/07/2019 at 23:56:57
You got it, Rob.

Thanks, Eric, will check it out.

45 Posted 06/07/2019 at 04:18:37
Bill 42, & 43, that could be classed as bigamy! :-)
46 Posted 06/07/2019 at 09:10:00
Paul (40), pity you can’t make it, I can vouch that you would have enriched the company, particularly the ones who like a bet.

Bill (42)it will be nice to see you again.

John G Davies
47 Posted 06/07/2019 at 09:25:07
A few pints and a few bets. What's not to like?

Paul, checking ante post. Your lad got an entry in CH?

48 Posted 09/08/2019 at 15:36:31
Lyndon / Michael, hope it is okay to state on this thread that the meeting at The Excelsior has been confirmed with the manager, Peter, today. I hope as many as possible can come together a week on Saturday after the game,and for those who can’t make it to the game, they are welcome at anytime before the game.

Andy ( Crooks) your ticket will be waiting for you next week, have a safe journey getting here and a very happy journey going back to Belfast, best wishes.

Ps I hope you all read this thread. I VILL only say this once.

Andy Crooks
49 Posted 10/08/2019 at 14:47:05
Many thanks,Dave. Can I give him a ring before hand.
Andy Crooks
50 Posted 10/08/2019 at 14:48:34
Sorry, Dave, I meant give YOU a ring.
51 Posted 10/08/2019 at 14:57:28
Andy (49 /50), Andy just let me know what time your flight is due on Saturday and I’ll give you an hour or so and I’ll make my way down to your hotel in Dale St, The Ibis Styles and we’ll sort everything out from there.
Andy Crooks
52 Posted 10/08/2019 at 15:36:54
Cheers, Dave, flight due in at 9.15 so hope to be at hotel about 10.30.
Neil Copeland
53 Posted 12/08/2019 at 21:19:22
Dave, I can confirm that I will definitely be there this time and looking to meeting everyone.
54 Posted 13/08/2019 at 11:19:16
Neil (53), be glad to see you Neil and anyone else who turns up, I hope we will be all enjoying a good win.
55 Posted 16/08/2019 at 20:38:37
Andy (52), I’ll check the time of your flight getting into Liverpool tomorrow morning and get down to your hotel around an hour and a half after it lands, but don’t panic if I’m a bit late, I’ll definitely be there.
Andy Crooks
56 Posted 16/08/2019 at 21:03:46
Thanks Dave
57 Posted 16/08/2019 at 21:28:45
Andy, hope you're not jet-lagged! 😂🤔
58 Posted 18/08/2019 at 12:49:58
Michael/Lyndon, just an update on the meeting at The Excelsior after Saturdays game.

I picked Andy Crooks up from his hotel in Dale St. and we had bite to eat at the house, Andy phoned Peter Mills up and we arranged to meet him at the pub he uses before Everton games. We spent a nice pleasant hour with Peter, meeting his friends in the pub which quickly got packed as the time towards the match got nearer. We had a nice stroll up to Goodison in time for Andy to breathe in the pre-game atmosphere which Peter suggested.

Andy confessed to being nervous as a kitten with excitement waiting to relish Goodison Park and his team once again.

I met Andy after the game and he was made up with the win. I told him he had brought the sun with him from Belfast, along with another clean sheet and three points the same as the last time again, although the performance was nowhere as good.

After an eventful but very slow bus journey to town, we arrived at The Excelsior around 6-15 pm (shows you how slow the bus journey was)

We met John McFarlane, Derek Knox, John Rafferty, Ray Roche, Neil Copeland and Keith Berry and his son Sam, we had a good talk about the game, Andy was amazed by many in the ground, at half time, saying what a terrible game it was, he thought it was great and enjoyed it, maybe shows how demanding a lot of Everton fans are, including me. Neil said he was happy with the four points and two clean sheets up to now and thinks we will gradually improve, given time.

Time moves very quickly at these meetings but it was nice to meet up with all who came. Ray was driving a long way home to North Wales so he understandably got off early.

We discussed the City goal which was disallowed after bringing the packed Excelsior to a great roar initially, VAR being roundly cursed, except by one drinker, no prizes for guessing who he supported, but he turned out to be okay, just on the wind-up.

Eventually we finished by Keith insisting on getting the last round in before he got off with his son Sam, who is a vegan and insists on his dad eating with him in vegan restaurants (shame on you, Sam, but very sensible as well)

That last round was extended by Neil and Andy and we eventually finished up leaving at around 10:40 pm.

Thanks to all who came but I think a Saturday game is very awkward for many fans to get back into town for, along with a big match on TV, so I understand why many couldn't make it. I hope everyone got home safe and well.

Please forgive me if I got any names wrong, I've got a sneaky feeling I may have got one wrong.

Peter Mills
59 Posted 18/08/2019 at 15:00:13
Dave, great to see you and Andy before the match, I’m glad the team delivered Andy the win I promised him.
60 Posted 18/08/2019 at 19:04:35
Thanks Dave for arranging the fourth such meeting of TW, which I gladly attended, and it was great to meet yourself again and all the others who were there.

You could be right with regards to meeting on a Saturday, (normal 3 o'clock KO) which most can't get to till about 6-ish, plus as you so rightly say many have to travel too. Having said that there will always be times that doesn't suit everybody for whatever reason.

I didn't expect the Irish style music either, which virtually drowned out any talk about Everton, but it did create a good atmosphere and most people seemed to enjoy it and some even tried to re-enact that scene from The 'Quiet' Man, though admittedly I wasn't aware of that till Ray Roche mentioned it.

I managed to just miss my train by a matter of seconds, so had to wait for nearly an hour till the next one. I was tempted to come back to the Excelsior, rather than wait in the station, but knowing my luck, I'd probably have ended up missing the last train as well.

We will check the calendar for appropriate dates, and hopefully have another meeting say October/November. I believe Mike Gaynes may be coming over sometime in January so we are sure to have one then too.

Thanks again Dave, and all who attended!

Brian Williams
61 Posted 18/08/2019 at 19:10:15
Dave A.

Mate I'm sorry about yesterday. I've emailed Derek and explained and I hope he's got your details to pass on my apologies.

I won't miss the next one, or my free Desperado!

Important thing is we got three points and a clean sheet.
COYB.

62 Posted 18/08/2019 at 19:23:10
Brian, thanks for the reminder, as it happens I have Andy Crooks and Tony Abrahams' numbers but not Dave's so it would be handy Dave for arranging the next meeting.
63 Posted 18/08/2019 at 19:51:05
Brian (61), yes no problem, Brian, no explanations are necessary. Things crop up that we can't avoid and it will give me more time to save up for your bottle of Desperado, I was close to the target but not quite there!!!
Andy Crooks
64 Posted 18/08/2019 at 20:26:48
Brian, would loved to have met you again, you are the best of company, but I know you couldn't make it. Just keep the one-liners coming!!. See you when Mike is here. By the way, Dave mentioned an "eventful" bus journey. It was a cracker. I am going to write a piece about the whole day which I hope Michael and Lyndon will put up.

I enjoyed the match more than most around me but I hope to write why soon.

Brian Williams
65 Posted 18/08/2019 at 20:29:51
Cheers lads. I'm sorry I missed you Andy but it won't be long 'til you're back mate. Dave, keep saving mate!
66 Posted 18/08/2019 at 20:45:26
Dave, thinking ahead to the next meeting, an early kick-off 12:30/1:30 or a Sunday 2:00 pm, may be the answer. The only problem is that they would likely be televised matches, and the information isn't always released till nearer the time, or worse still like when Mike came over they changed the day.

The other alternative is an away match that we can watch in the Excelsior as a group, so everyone is there to watch the match, anyway food for thought!

Andy Crooks
67 Posted 18/08/2019 at 21:03:00
Derek, I think an away match in the Excelsior is a cracking idea. It would not suit me, for obvious reasons, but I think it would work for most.

I do like the idea of a mid-week game. I would like to see Goodison under the floodlights and flights and hotel would be much cheaper

68 Posted 18/08/2019 at 21:09:00
Derek (66), tb honest I didn’t realise how busy and popular The Excelsior is, years ago I used to drink in The Mitre further down Dale St. and hardly ever went in The Excelsior which seemed to be a quiet pub.

Possibly under Peter, the manager, a genial Irishman it has flourished, so I suggest for any future meetings there it would be best, if possible to arrange a meeting there on a quiet night in the week, Tuesday or Wednesday, the weekend Friday to Sunday it would seem to be very busy and well attended, shows how many people now look upon Liverpool as a very nice place to have a good time in.

Maybe Mike’s visit would be a good time to arrange a meeting.

Andy Crooks
69 Posted 18/08/2019 at 21:47:56
Dave, I have just spent the evening enjoying the programs. Just brilliant!! My email address is on this thread in so keep in touch. After speaking to Pete, I have convinced Arlene (my wife) that Liverpool is a great city break.
70 Posted 18/08/2019 at 22:32:45
Dave, the only problem I foresee with a Tuesday or Wednesday, if people have work commitments.

I think the away match, whether it be a Saturday (early) or Sunday same, is a decent compromise, people will get to see the match, which they wouldn't have travelled to (I know some do) we can have a chat after well before the band strikes up, then people can choose to leave or stay at a reasonable time.

Give it a think over and let me know, but we still need to know which matches Sky/BT are covering in advance.

71 Posted 19/08/2019 at 14:47:40
Derek (70), as I live not all that far from the city centre and I am retired it is very easy for me to get to The Excelsior so I will just go with the flow, whatever suits the majority will suit me.

I think it is great the distances some of the fans come from and find the time and effort to make it, brilliant.

Mike Gaynes
72 Posted 19/08/2019 at 16:51:13
Dave and Derek, thanks for great reporting and commentary on the gathering... of course I would have loved to join you, and I promise I will do so early in the New Year.

And I won't debate anybody about VAR!

73 Posted 19/08/2019 at 17:56:09
Thanks Mike, looking forward to seeing you again, if you can let us know when, we can get the arrangements in place.

Dave, I have just been sent a copy of an email sent from Keith Berry and son Sam, who attended the gathering. They thoroughly enjoyed the match, the atmosphere (although the game was a bit of a damp squib, but 3 points) and the evening with all who were there.

Keith and Sam, were up on a multi-mission, they explained to me. They were supposed to play golf at Frodsham which Ray Roche had organised, but it was cancelled because of the horrendous weather, but Keith also had some business in Liverpool to attend to, so decided to combine the business, the golf, the match and TW get together in one package.

They were due to visit Bramley-Moore Dock on the Sunday, to see what the site looks like pre-development, and what this Heritage status is all about (there are some who are opposed to our plans) so it will be interesting to find out what their impression is/was.

Keith and Sam gave me their Mobile Numbers, so I will try to encourage them to compile a post, based on their visit on the whole, but with particular emphasis on their impressions of BMD. They have obviously seen the projected images and now have had the chance to see the site! (or should I say sight?)

Ray Roche
74 Posted 19/08/2019 at 18:01:58
Derek, Dave, John, Neil, Andy etc., I have just received an e-mail from Keith Berry, our Southern based Blue who attended the Excelsior with his lad Sam, I have copied it below. They clearly enjoyed themselves and it's thanks to the generous spirit of ToffeeWebbers who were there.

''Hi Ray,

Please pass on our thanks to all the Twebbers present Saturday Evening at the Excelsior.

From a gentle introduction to the guys the evening developed into a proper session.

Great fun and if there was ever any doubt my lad Sam is now a lifer.

Amazed at Dave's Encyclopedic memory of all things Toffee and we were both lifted by the overall feel good vibe that emanates from EFC these days. Sad that we are we actually drove down to Bramley-Moore Dock on the Sunday morning and could envisage the brilliant future in store for us all.

Once again a great day / night / weekend
Kindest Regards To everyone

Keith and Sam''

75 Posted 19/08/2019 at 18:32:41
Brian @ 65, there was a real mean looking Mexican dude standing at the end of the bar wearing a Sombrero, could have sworn he downed the last Desperado!

He could have been the same troublemaker that triggered the handbags fracas in the saloon, before being ejected through the batwing doors (Sombrero end first) I distinctly heard Peter (the Bar Manager) say "no more Desperadoes" I don't know if he meant the Bandito Mexican, or the bottled alcoholic beverage? 😂

Mike Gaynes
76 Posted 19/08/2019 at 18:57:06
Derek #73, first choice right now would be late January to try to catch two games in four days - Hammers away followed by the barcodes at Goodison. (Not to mention Marine!)

I'll keep ya posted.

77 Posted 19/08/2019 at 19:14:47
Cheers Mike, looking forward to seeing ya!
Neil Copeland
78 Posted 19/08/2019 at 21:13:05
Dave, thanks for organising the get together. All, it was great to meet everyone and really enjoyed the night so much so that I missed the last train to Crewe ha! One pint too many I think, good job I switched to half pints otherwise I might still be roaming the city centre.

I got to Lime Street at approx. 10:50 thinking the last train was at 11 pm but found out it actually went at 10 pm. So, I then decided to get something to eat while I decided what to do and ended up enjoying a Big Mac and fries.

After some deliberation and struggling to read the Sunday timetables I discovered that the first train didn't leave until 8:18 am which put me off my initial idea of 'resting' in the station. A taxi to Nantwich would probably bankrupt me and to make matters worse my mobile phone battery had died as well. Fortunately, the public phones in the station were working oka and amazingly my daughter answered the landline! She wasn't impressed having wasted an hour waiting at Crewe and only got home 10 mins ago, bear in mind it was now 11:45pm.

After promising to pay for fuel, bridge fees and a new pair of trainers (oka, I made up that bit), Hannah, my daughter, said she would come and collect me from Lime Street.

During the wait, I had an opportunity to enjoy the nightlife. A group of very nice young ladies out on a hen night offered to put me up for the night (perhaps I should rephrase that!) - where were they 15 mins ago, I thought but then realised I may not have made it through to the morning if I decided to take up their offer. There was a couple in the middle of a tiff with both gesturing and posturing a lot although all seemed to end well with a big hug. I must admit to being surprised that how well behaved everyone was at that time of the morning.

Just as I was starting to enjoy the entertainment, Hannah appeared at around 12:45 am – what a star!

Anyway, a very good night at The Excelsior and looking forward to the next one – although I will check the train times.

79 Posted 19/08/2019 at 22:27:23
Neil, glad to have met you mate, there must have been something in the air, (or in the beer) that night because I missed my train too, but luckily in my case it was not the last one.

You should have got the Wirral Line train to Chester from Lime Street, your daughter would have had less distance to travel, from Chester! Anyway one of life's lessons learnt there! Hope to see you again soon Neil, take care mate.

Neil Copeland
80 Posted 19/08/2019 at 22:32:51
Hi Derek, great to meet you too and already looking forward to the next one.

Didn't think about the Wirral line, not used to using the train at all. As you say, lesson learnt and it was okay really, I had forgotten how entertaining the city centre can be.

Steve Ferns
81 Posted 19/08/2019 at 22:41:17
Shame to have missed everyone. The first game of the season is always a difficult one to meet people for, personally I had family with me, including a young lad and so couldn't get to town after the game. Glad you had a great night and I'll make sure to make the next one.
82 Posted 20/08/2019 at 12:30:56
Thanks for all the replies to my little report, from those who came and those who couldn't make it.

Sorry about Derek and Neil missing their trains, with Neil nearly having to look for some accommodation!!

Thanks Ray for your Email off Keith Berry. Keith was a real gentleman who showed he was really into Everton and raised different aspects of following the Blues. I asked him how he had got involved in following our club. Keith is from Bedfordshire (I think) and he had no links to Everton, no family connection to the club but took up supporting the club many years ago. I think he is a season ticket holder along with his well-mannered son Sam, but Keith I forget the reason which made you a Blue. I would love for you to tell us on ToffeeWeb, it was really great to meet you and Sam along with everyone who came. Neil was a new face and very good company with lots of stories about following the Toffees around the country.

I've got to mention John McFarlane who loves coming to these meetings and for his age and health is amazing how gets to them and keeps the evening flowing with his knowledge and stories of games and years gone by.

I enjoyed the night and got my bus home without too much trouble, apart from a couple of headbangers at the bus stop, but no problem.–