After last night's trainwreck, a weekend off may be in order for some, but the Premier League is relentless, and a fantastic game is developing at Carrow Road, where Norwich and Chelsea have shared four goals in the first half — three scored by young English starlets who seem to know exactly where the goal is.

Manchester Utd vs Crystal Palace is the BBC 5Live commentary game at 3 o'clock. Later, Arsenal are the visitors at Anfield in the evening game.

Reader Comments (52)

Nitesh Kanchan
1 Posted 24/08/2019 at 13:50:24
Just saw Barkley magic in 55th minute, just took out 5 players in one move.
John Keating
2 Posted 24/08/2019 at 14:18:03
Thought VAR was to clear things up?

Thought it was a good goal by Giroud and sending off for the Norwich centre half for a stamp.

Clear as mud.

Nice to see two fit teams play a full 90 minutes. Maybe we can get their fitness coaches.

George Cumiskey
3 Posted 24/08/2019 at 14:37:56
Just watched the Norwich v Chelsea game... cracking match compared to the dross we served up.
Michael Kenrick
4 Posted 24/08/2019 at 15:36:17
These so-called lesser teams are just an irritation.

I mean, how annoying is it when you are the Biggest Club In The World, at home in the sunshine, and you attack solidly for half-an-hour but achieve nothing... then these simple lower league tossers throw up a Route One lob, and bang, the ball is in the back of the net.

It's just not fair.

Kieran Kinsella
5 Posted 24/08/2019 at 15:40:50
Michael 4,

I remember years ago when Everton turned crap under Jimmy Gabriel. My cousin from Glasgow told me I should be grateful. He said "if you're not winning the league then it's best to be in the relegation battle as it provides excitment. There is nothing worse than supporting a lesser team that simply exists to float around mid table and annoy other teams."

Jim Bennings
6 Posted 24/08/2019 at 16:34:09
Funny how other clubs' new signings make impacts early on, West Ham's new boy scoring two.

Not really hard to score and win away games is it?

When you look at the turgid dross Everton serve on the road every season without fail.

Andy Crooks
7 Posted 24/08/2019 at 16:54:56
Jim, do you think we should see West Ham as a model?

Really, because they get an away win?

Michael Kenrick
8 Posted 24/08/2019 at 16:55:23
Brilliant, simply brilliant equalizer from this kid James

But it's not over till it's over — Palace 2-1! Fabulous stuff!

Brian Williams
9 Posted 24/08/2019 at 16:58:38
But Michael, he's only a kid so he can't do things like that, surely?

Another illustration that age (within logical reason) has no bearing on the skills required to score a goal!

Jim Bennings
10 Posted 24/08/2019 at 17:10:20
Andy

The point I'm making is every club out there seems to have a bit of get up and go about them.

We need to realise that maybe we are not the club West Ham should be trying to model themselves on either?

What the hell have we achieved in 20 years?

Watching Everton is like Groundhog Day – same shit over and over.

Michael Kenrick
11 Posted 24/08/2019 at 17:18:53
Aye Brian.

But we can't expect anything like that coz we're all morons who will put up with anything, apparently!

Jim Bennings
13 Posted 25/08/2019 at 14:29:17
Aguero shows what top class players do, oh to be so lucky!

Bournemouth won’t need to worry if they do lose today, next home game on September 15th is you know who, cue the football doctor, Everton lol

John Wilson
14 Posted 25/08/2019 at 15:08:56
The Sky 6 in the Bournemouth v Man City game (then 2-0 ahead) were saying Harry Wilson is gonna take this free kick for his debut - as he has already scored for club and country. He takes the free kick and hits it straight in City's top corner. Talk about pressure on that lad and he scores it perfectly.
John Keating
15 Posted 25/08/2019 at 18:07:08
How is that not a penalty on Kane?!
John Pierce
16 Posted 25/08/2019 at 18:13:11
I could almost get on board with the development of VAR in the last week or two.

The burden of proof has been raised to allow a subjective decision to remain in place unless it’s a total missed call.

Their not looking for minutiae, but complete blunders. That is much more within the spirit of the game.

Jim Bennings
17 Posted 25/08/2019 at 18:19:12
Almiron has ran his bollox off for the Geordies.

Why do other clubs players seem to work harder than ours??

Michael Kenrick
18 Posted 25/08/2019 at 18:24:19
VAR now a total joke.

That was a clear and obvious penalty that the referee did not see.

From ridiculous overuse to total worthlessness in the space of a week. It is now a tool for reinforcing referee bias in terms of wrong decisions (although this one was against a Top-Sixer... err...)

John Keating
19 Posted 25/08/2019 at 18:24:29
Jim,

it might be because we look the most unfit bunch of wasters in the League.

Kevin Naylor
21 Posted 25/08/2019 at 18:30:21
So we were one of only 2 clubs to lose away from home this week and, you guessed it, the RS were the only team to win at home. You couldn't make it up.
John Keating
22 Posted 25/08/2019 at 18:32:10
Michael, that VAR decision was a complete joke. Actually how the ref didn't give it before going to VAR is a mystery. If that is the level of VAR decisions, then footy as we know it is finished
Dave Abrahams
23 Posted 25/08/2019 at 18:33:34
Michael (17) haven't been watching TV today, but I'm convinced the VAR referee's will show their bias as the season works its way into the season; not many on here will be surprised when it happens. The league title could depend on such biased decisions.
Mike Connolly
24 Posted 25/08/2019 at 18:34:39
John, we have looked unfit with no pace for years. what are they doing at Finch Farm. When you look at Everton TV, they always seem to be having their photo taken in front of a green screen. I think they should be running around the green grass instead.
Paul Tran
25 Posted 25/08/2019 at 18:39:12
By the logic of many on here, does that mean Pochettino, Nuno, Lampard, Pellegrini and Garcia are getting sacked tomorow as well?
John G Davies
26 Posted 25/08/2019 at 18:42:25
Anyone who thinks that was a penalty on Kane has never kicked a ball in competition football.
Jim Bennings
27 Posted 25/08/2019 at 18:47:56
Newcastle are a limited side but it does warm the spirit to see players cajoling and barking orders, Dummett amongst other in their side shamed our rudderless idiots that masquerade in the Blue shirt.

Sometimes I’d just love to see an Everton team with a bit of bollox, imagine us going away to a top six side and winning!?

Of course that’s impossible.

John McFarlane Snr
28 Posted 25/08/2019 at 19:12:24
Hi Dave [22], the only football I have watched this weekend was the Norwich City vs Chelsea game, and VAR managed to disallow a perfectly good goal, despite the referee seeing nothing wrong with it.

I listened to the Spurs vs Newcastle game this afternoon, and both the commentator, and Jermaine Jenas were adamant that Spurs were denied penalties on two occasions. I think you know my view of VAR, but another cause of de-humanising the game would be, if it ever came about as reported, in the Sunday Mirror.

"FIFA is investigating whether robots replace assistant referees to make offside decisions, given that they are already helping the video assistant referees."

It is debatable whether the constant changes in the game, or the 'Grim Reaper,' will cause me to stop watching the game I used to love.

Dave Abrahams
29 Posted 25/08/2019 at 19:22:42
Well John we keep getting told, sometimes by fans on here, that VAR is here to stay so might as well get used to it, maybe, I think clubs as well as fans will turn against it.

Wait until it happens to ‘Them' the screams will be unmerciful from the manager, players, their legion of pundits, not to mention their ‘lovable‘ fans, especially the armchair variety.

Looks like you made it home safe and sound after last Saturday, you didn't half knock your drink back John, looks like it was made for you, best wishes.

Andy Crooks
30 Posted 25/08/2019 at 19:22:46
True enough, Jim @ 26. We lack steel and will. We are fragile and easily bullied. We do not seem to hate, really, really hate losing.
Mark Boullé
31 Posted 25/08/2019 at 19:32:03
Did anybody see Spurs huff and puff but really barely lay a glove on Newcastle, supposedly a "shambolic" team destined for relegation?!

And at home as well.

See, it's not just us who struggle to make and take chances against teams from the lower reaches of the league that we seem to think we have an innate right to beat every time...!

John McFarlane Snr
32 Posted 25/08/2019 at 19:37:24
Hi again Dave [28], I'm afraid that if VAR is here to stay, I may decide to 'go.' I don't think I could ever get used to it.

After years of drinking Guinness, I think I've dropped on a drink that I can almost handle, and Diet Pepsi isn't too bad.

Sam Hoare
33 Posted 25/08/2019 at 19:39:06
Jim, so other clubs have more get up and go? You praise West Ham. And a Newcastle player. And yet we finish comfortably above both those teams and a lot of other teams in the league.

Spurs are a good team but lost at home today.

Do you think it’s possible you’re being a bit harsh on us? We’re not great but I don’t think we’re as bad as you continually make out (if we lose or draw).

Dave Abrahams
34 Posted 25/08/2019 at 19:43:37
John (30), a very sensible drink John, l’ll be on that shortly, very nice and no big heads the next day.
Brian Harrison
35 Posted 25/08/2019 at 19:43:44
Dave

I think the problem is not so much with VAR but the stupid officials who decided that if a ball inadvertently brushes an arm of an attacker and as a result a goal is scored its automatically ruled as a foul. I would love to know which officials decide to keep altering the rules every year. So with that being the rule then VAR disallows the goal correctly.

Where I do take issue with VAR how come if you are at a cricket, rugby or tennis match the paying fans can see what your looking out. But with all the money in the Premier league they cant show on screen what incident they are looking at. Also why is all the decisions left to people at Stockley park to make the decisions why arent the people in charge of VAR not at the ground.

But I am afraid Dave its here to stay, but please show us on the screen what your looking at. I find it really annoying that I have paid to watch the game yet people watching Sky at home are seeing what VAR is looking at.

Kevin Latham
36 Posted 25/08/2019 at 19:44:04
Got to agree with what's been said about showing some bottle, I've gone on about this on other threads. Where is our player who imposes himself on the other team? Only Everton could be where we are in the league when we should have topped it on Friday night! But until our players show some leadership or proper will to win then we won't threaten the top 6.

Problem is, that's not something that can be coached into players. Nobody coached Reidy, Andy Gray, Alan Ball, Tony Kay but by God did they lead from the front and just refused to accept second best.

Dave Abrahams
37 Posted 25/08/2019 at 19:58:36
Brian, (33), yes the stupid rules are definitely at fault, not VAR, but when it comes to incidents like penalties, fouls and sending off offences, personal bias does come into it. I never saw today’s incidents but it appears the decisions were left to opinions not rules.
Brian Murray
38 Posted 25/08/2019 at 20:08:01
In my 56 years on this earth as I enjoy a bev in town and try and block out another blue let down, I have come to the conclusion that no matter who or is manager, we had our day in the sun until it was snatched away from us.

Ah well... after six pints the worlds a better place. Coyb

Paul Tran
39 Posted 25/08/2019 at 20:15:52
Interesting stuff on VAR here. My big issue with VAR is a fear that referees are going to use it to sub-contract decisions they should be making themselves. I couldn't believe the ref took that Spurs penalty to VAR, then was ever more shocked that VAR didn't give it.
Paul Tran
40 Posted 25/08/2019 at 20:45:44
Jim #16, the clue is in your own word 'seem'.

I've just looked for some stats from last season. Up until the end of March, only three teams had covered more ground and only three teams had run more sprints.

Anecdotally, I remember us getting a fair few late goals.

Nowt wrong with the fitness.

John Keating
41 Posted 25/08/2019 at 20:45:47
Brian 33,

You are correct in that the rule changes, specifically the handball rule in the area is absolutely ridiculous. I am sure at season's end that rule will be changed.

However, the penalty decision at the Spurs game was absolutely stonewall and really there can be no excuse. How the ref never gave it at the time was in itself unbelievable and I am sure if he had then VAR would not have over ruled him.

I think the fact that it was so blatant and not given caused the VAR official to also not give it in case it caused massive embarrassment to the ref. The fact that both of them got it so wrong has made it even more ridiculous.

Oliver Molloy
42 Posted 25/08/2019 at 21:33:30
About time Spurs never got the benefit of VAR don't you think John.

John Keating
43 Posted 25/08/2019 at 21:45:56
To be honest Oliver I'm not really bothered who gets a good or bad decision via VAR. Possibly next week it will be us. The thing is, the decision today was crazy and I have no doubt there will be loads more.

I just don't like it and prefer we keep the game as easy and simple as we can. I think a great part of the game is the chat after about decisions the ref made or didn't make. I think VAR is just the start of sanitizing the game and taking the immediate euphoria out of it.

Look at last week when Man City scored in extra time. The supporters went crazy and minutes later got a downer. It will get to a stage where the support won't celebrate a goal in the instant it hits the net. We'll all sit there a couple of minutes until VAR gives it and canned cheering will come out over the tannoys.

Darren Hind
44 Posted 26/08/2019 at 10:17:40
I think we all kinda Knew that Liverpool and Man City were going to get away from the rest of the pack at some stage, but not many of us would have been expecting them to do it before the August bank holiday.

When I look at the news this morning, I wonder if it's the logic-defying luck the Red Shite seem to have always enjoyed, that has seen them escape serious injury to key players... or are they doing something different?

Dick Fearon
45 Posted 26/08/2019 at 12:50:42
Darren @44, The RS do seem to escape multiple injury problems that beset ourselves and other clubs.

I believe this stems from the days of Shankly, a tough old character who detested physical or mental weakness in his players. He sought out players and coaches who held those same principles as himself. Anyone not meeting those standards had no future at Anfield.

Biographies of ex RS players describe the tough regime Bill set in place and one that I believe still exists.

Along with the physical side of things the RS build into their players an agressive winning attitude.

Being retired I have time to watch either Live or recorded every PL game and in my opinion we are already in a relegation battle.

Phil Greenough
46 Posted 26/08/2019 at 21:56:10
I'm absolutely sick of ToffeeWeb and the multitude of negative posts. I know I don't have to read them, but fuck me, in a relegation battle with only three games gone?

I know you're entitled to your opinion, Dick, but may I ask, why do you feel the need to post such a negative comment? Is it on the very slim chance you can say "I told you so" in May?

I think I'll take a little break from TW, otherwise by week six we'll probably be destined for League One. I've took a screenshot of this page, so I can repost in May.

Dermot Byrne
47 Posted 26/08/2019 at 22:00:02
Phil...you are not alone
David Pearl
48 Posted 26/08/2019 at 22:03:59
Phil,

My girlfriend takes screen shots of past arguments or promises. It's annoying.

Anyway, we are going to win the FA Cup and finish top 6 this season. Monday 26th August. 2019. DP

Andy Crooks
49 Posted 26/08/2019 at 22:17:37
Phil don' t take a break. Dick has been posting this stuff for twenty years. His latest is early but consistent. If he was a Gunner they too, would be, already, in a relegation battle. It's a defence mechanism that I often use myself:

Think of every possible bad scenario and the consequences of it. Then, take the view that nothing ever turns out as you expect.. Therefore, the good scenario that you have never contemplated becomes reality.

However, there is a downside. The good scenario then becomes contemplated and, therefore cannot happen. This what supporting Everton does to you.

Jim Hardin
50 Posted 26/08/2019 at 23:23:39
Not sure I understand the complaints about VAR regarding the Tottenham game. For those of you not wanting VAR, the no-call was exactly what it would have been without VAR. No penalty was given by the ref.

England has applied a different standard for review than we use over here for MLS, or for what is used in Germany. VAR will only overturn a clear and obvious error in the EPL after giving extreme deference to the referee's discretion because he or she is in the middle of the action.

As for those complaining about VAR sucking the life or fun out of the game, please watch a couple of Bundesliga games. Tell me those fans are having a bad time. If anything, the singing and shouting seem to go up during the very brief review. If the goal is awarded, a second cheer goes up and if it is not, a second cheer goes up. It is, after all, a game.

As for not being negative towards Everton, well, I have nothing good to say about the manager so I will not say anything about him. I will, however, point out that it is still too early to tell about the new additions to the squad, and the squad itself since someone continues to play Walcott and others in their stead.

Finally, it took Lookman only two weeks into the season to shake off the "tarnish" of Silva and get into a game, albeit as a sub.

Tom Bowers
51 Posted 26/08/2019 at 23:31:27
That's the great thing about ToffeeWeb and free speech, we all get to say our peace even if we disagree. Some people do get negative early and some a little time later on but that's only human nature.

Sometimes there is an over reaction to some games and, after not getting three points at Palace, most of us thought at least there was a point to be gotten at Villa. The weekend's results proved once again that the football is unpredictable with so may upsets and I think Man Utd fans along with Spurs fans will be more upset than us.

It is early days and the cream will rise to the top but it already seems that it will become a question of who finishes 3rd. Silva has time to get things right and he must know by now what he needs to do as far as team selection goes over the next few weeks. After that, if things are the same, then I don't think he will be around come the New Year.

We all want the same thing and we want it now but, with the Gbamin bad news, it would appear things may take longer than expected.

Tony Abrahams
52 Posted 27/08/2019 at 00:08:35
It must be boring to be retired, and I will go along with Screenshot David, but only if we can keep Delph fit?
David Pearl
53 Posted 27/08/2019 at 00:28:01
Tony, I’m sure Delph will be an important player for us this season... it’s only just begun!
Dave Abrahams
54 Posted 27/08/2019 at 00:44:43
David (48),

“Anyway, we are going to win the FA Cup and finish in the top six this season.”

You are wrong, we are going to win the FA Cup and finish in the top six this season, and I knew that before you even thought about it. Mind you I'm saying it after six pints and a couple of scotches, which I don't usually drink, but were put on the table by a good friend, who also thinks we'll do the honours this season. Sad to say he knows absolutely nothing about football but was trying to buck me up.