The Foxes' stunning performance and 9-0 scoreline at St Mary's sets a high benchmark for this round of fixtures with a quarter of the season complete. That win has pushed them to 2nd in the table.

Manchester City will return to 2nd place if they beat Aston Villa in Saturday's lunchtime kick-off.

At 3 pm, aside from Brighton vs Everton, there are only two other games: Watford vs Bournemouth and West Ham Utd vs Sheffield Utd, with Chelsea traveling to Burnley for the 5:30 game.

Reader Comments (35)

Dave Abrahams
1 Posted 26/10/2019 at 14:05:36
City 3-0 ahead to put a little bit of pressure on THEM, every little bit helps.
Brent Stephens
2 Posted 27/10/2019 at 14:37:26
Just watching Newcastle and that Matty Longstaff looks a good prospect. Not a big lad but tenacious. And Newcastle score to knock us down a place - for now.
Brent Stephens
3 Posted 27/10/2019 at 15:34:23
And Newcastle concede so we're for the moment back at the dizzy heights of 16th.
Brent Stephens
4 Posted 27/10/2019 at 16:05:26
And a ludicrous VAR decision at Newcastle. Shirt all but ripped from an attacker's back but no penalty.
Mark Guglielmo
5 Posted 27/10/2019 at 18:03:58
Oh boy, Liverpool awarded a pen at 74' resulting in the go-ahead goal. VAR check took maybe :5

*looks for a way out of the room*

Brent Stephens
6 Posted 27/10/2019 at 18:06:21
Spurs struggling at the other place so it'll be easy for us against them next week! Nailed on penalty for the other lot I'm afraid.
Mark Guglielmo
7 Posted 27/10/2019 at 18:09:55
It really was, plus the on field ref called it on the field, so VAR was basically only confirming it anyway, not 'pushing' him to overturn.
Mark Tanton
8 Posted 27/10/2019 at 18:12:13
Spurs have been garbage. Utterly devoid of ambition. Nearly as bad as or annual embarrassment.
Brent Stephens
9 Posted 27/10/2019 at 18:15:20
And what's happened to Dele Alli?! He's been dire today.
Jay Harris
10 Posted 27/10/2019 at 18:18:18
I used to say you make your own luck but just watching Liverpool get a penalty when Mane fouled the Spurs player and then went to ground. Checked by VAR and guess what? VAR found no reason to disagree with the referee.

Meanwhile, over the road, our injury jinx and biased treatment by officials continues.

When will it turn? Surely it has to cos everything goes in cycles... doesn't it?

Rob Halligan
11 Posted 27/10/2019 at 18:19:56
Arsenal "winner" disallowed by VAR.
Mark Guglielmo
12 Posted 27/10/2019 at 18:20:24
At least there is some other bad luck to go around. Spurs should easily be equal; Son rattled one off the bar earlier. Couldn't have been than 1-2"
Mark Guglielmo
13 Posted 27/10/2019 at 18:21:23
What was the situation, Rob? Offside, or something else?
Kim Vivian
14 Posted 27/10/2019 at 18:23:02
Unless I did't see another one, that was the one they scored from Mark, off the rebound.
Rob Halligan
15 Posted 27/10/2019 at 18:23:57
Don't know Mark. It was a corner to Arsenal and side footed home by Sokratis so it can't be offside, unless an arsenal player was right in front of the goalkeeper and deemed to be interfering.
Mark Guglielmo
16 Posted 27/10/2019 at 18:27:07
Hmmmm, guess I'll wait until they go to the post-game. We only got the Liverpool - Spurs match here so I haven't seen anything else.
Mark Guglielmo
17 Posted 27/10/2019 at 18:28:52
Jay, sorry mate, but that really was a good call. Hate Liverpool all you want but after they came into contact with one another, then and only then did the Spurs defender pretty much swipe Mane's legs out from under him. It was immediately called a penalty on the field, and the VAR check took less than 30 seconds.

Steve @17 ha! Ok sorry. Sarcasm is hard to detect on the interwebs after all. Especially you Brits, who've turned it into an art form. (I don't even know if you're British!)

Rob Halligan
18 Posted 27/10/2019 at 18:30:09
WTF was the Spurs goalie doing for that pen? He just seemed to stand there. Had he took just half a yard to his left, the ball would have hit him.
Rob Halligan
19 Posted 27/10/2019 at 18:31:19
WTF was the Spurs goalie doing for that penalty? He just seemed to stand there. Had he took just half a yard to his left, the ball would have hit him.

George Cumiskey
20 Posted 27/10/2019 at 18:34:58
I hope Silva was watching Liverpool to see how a team responds to going behind.
Dave Abrahams
21 Posted 27/10/2019 at 18:43:18
Brent (#6), worse than dire, doing nothing, more of a handicap, and yet the manager kept him on. Mind you, Kane, apart from his goal, wasn't much better, and Erickson.

Bastards must be saving themselves for next Sunday.

Dave Abrahams
22 Posted 27/10/2019 at 18:51:04
Trent Alexander was on a yellow card, dragged a player back around his neck and face, a foul was automatically given but no VAR for a second yellow, or don't they check for that? Three Spurs players asked the referee about it.
Rob Halligan
23 Posted 27/10/2019 at 18:54:14
Don't be silly, Dave. As if VAR would make a decision that could result in a Liverpool player being sent off. I'm surprised they didn't review it for a possible dive by the Spurs player.
Mark Guglielmo
24 Posted 27/10/2019 at 18:56:07
I obviously don't have the same deep-rooted hatred of Liverpool like many here (makes sense, I didn't grow up in Liverpool in the middle of the citywide rivalry), but they get a penalty per game because they have world-class forwards, world-class fullbacks, and a very very good midfield. In short, when you spend a lot of time attacking in the opponent's third, you're going to draw penalties.
George Cumiskey
25 Posted 27/10/2019 at 18:57:52
Mark, spot on.
Dave Abrahams
26 Posted 27/10/2019 at 19:01:29
I never thought of that, Rob. Now you mention it, I think the linesman was raising his flag for a foul the other way but the ref got in first!!!
Jim Bennings
27 Posted 27/10/2019 at 19:27:09
I know what VAR stands for finally.

It's not Video Assistant Referee as we have all been duped into believing.

It's really Vital Anfield Reassurance

Joe McMahon
28 Posted 27/10/2019 at 19:35:23
Mark Guglielmo @24, they have had more penalties in the premier league era than any other club. Just like they have been shown on Sky more than any other club. The have always had their own set of rules. In October 2016 Talksport produced the premierleage history penalty report as below:

Liverpool (1st) – 140 penalties – The Reds lead the way, having been awarded 140 penalties in the last 24 years ( October 2016).

You don't need me to remind you since the premier league began Man Utd was winning title after tile, not Liverpool.

You can call it hatred, I just want to see a league with no Bias, and a level playing field. History shows it ain't gonna happen.

Mark Guglielmo
29 Posted 27/10/2019 at 19:45:38
Televised team means nothing to me. Winning teams get on the television, in every sport since the dawn of...television. And yes, I know Man Utd was THE winning team, but it's not like Liverpool were poor.

I thought we were discussing Liverpool's penalty per game this year, or the past 3-4 at most. Not full history. So if that's what you meant, apologies.

Steve Carse
30 Posted 27/10/2019 at 20:12:55
Mark (23) I take your point over why the Devils XI win more penalties than most (out of interest am I right in thinking they win more than City as well though?).

I would disagree though over your description of their midfield as 'very very good'. It is made up of very average players who do what they are asked to do and do it well. That's all. When they're playing top opposition or things aren't going to plan (not that that occurs too often unfortunately) Klopp prefers to miss the midfield out and go long. Tonight was an example.

Mark Guglielmo
31 Posted 27/10/2019 at 20:20:58
Steve, but I still stuck the landing overall, you have to admit :-)
Joe McMahon
32 Posted 27/10/2019 at 20:21:59
Mark, in October 2016 Talksport ran a report of the Premier League penalty history. Quote. Liverpool – 140 penalties – The Reds lead the way, having been awarded 140 penalties in the last 24 years, a number that has already gone up by four this season. Going back to the start of the Premier League era, Liverpool were awarded eight penalties in the 1992-93 season.

My point being it was Man Utd winning title after title.

I just want a level playing field and no Bias. Clattenburg derby springs to mind.

Dick Fearon
33 Posted 27/10/2019 at 20:26:09
Many years ago I was heavily criticized on here for daring to compare Goodison faithful with the Kopites. The theme of most critics was that ToffeeWeb exists for the sole purpose of discussing Everton and avoid at all costs any reference to Liverpool FC in a positive light.

Apparently it was OK to instead use Anal Field and Mordor plus gobshites and the RS when referring to our neighbours. I played along with such silly mandates and wore Blue tinted glasses and fervently joined others singing about a Royal Blue Mersey and our 'Istry". at the same time spouting derogatory rubbish about their players and ridiculous pacts with the devil. Meanwhile they have gone on to the kind of success that we Evertonians can only dream about. Our travails over recent years has brought me full circle back to my original vilified comparison of the two clubs. I make no apology for saying the gobshites fully deserve their success.

When their club was in its darkest hour they fought for it with mass demos through the city centre and raised funds with protest CDs, T shirts and banners plus swamping radio talkback shows and columns of letters to newspapers and every other possible avenues to make their views known.

I consider my beloved Everton to be in its own darkest hour yet apart from posts to ToffeeWeb I do not see or hear the least whimper of complaint.

Brian Williams
34 Posted 27/10/2019 at 20:28:52
What do you plan to do Dick?
Joe McMahon
35 Posted 27/10/2019 at 20:38:01
Dick, I don't know for sure, but it might be Liverpools appeal, image and general exposure far outshines Everton, so no ones interested.

In the Premier league/Sky era, Everton have faded. To the masses Everton may aswell be Sheff Utd, WBA, Burnley etc. Our sucesses were years ago, never played CL football and home stadium is laughable. Everton are not attractive and don't have the same pulling power of any of the Top 6. Leicester are the latest to overtake us.