Evertonians have been rightly focussed on the dismal result yesterday against Norwich City and what this means for the future of Marco Siva, but Sunday afternoon sees an interesting game at Bramhall Lane where Sheffield United – with John Lundstram and Phil Jagielka starting — take on Manchester United.

Reader Comments (43)

Michael Kenrick
1 Posted 24/11/2019 at 16:57:19
That was some shoulder barge on Phil Jones! Surely a foul 9 out of 10... but VAR says no, not 'clear and obvious'.

Nice to see a decision go for the minnow against the Big Club — no wait, what am I saying? The Blades are higher in the Premier League Table.!!

Dave Abrahams
2 Posted 24/11/2019 at 17:26:23
Michael, couldn’t believe that wasn’t given as a foul to United, also couldn’t believe the non stop intensity of the Sheffield pressure, forcing Manchester players into many poor passes, Sheffield are all over the field helping each other out and still look composed with their own passing, surely they can’t stay fit to continue this continual pressing throughout the season.

Imagine some of Everton’s players playing in that style, even for two halves of one game.

Jim Wilson
3 Posted 24/11/2019 at 17:28:28
Jags is the MotM for Sheffield Utd.

I think he was classed as deadwood by quite a few people on here. Unbelievable!

Mike Gaynes
4 Posted 24/11/2019 at 17:30:23
Michael, I thought it was an excellent shoulder charge! And the sight of Phil Jones flying sideways was quite enjoyable.

And like you, Dave, I'm sitting here wondering what it would be like to see our club generate the kind of intensity we're seeing from the Blades.

Tony Hill
5 Posted 24/11/2019 at 17:37:39
Pochettino to Man Utd looks distinctly possible.
Brent Stephens
6 Posted 24/11/2019 at 17:38:33
What a cracking second for Sheffield.
Mike Gaynes
7 Posted 24/11/2019 at 17:40:14
The passion and commitment of the Blades are such a striking contrast to what we put on the pitch yesterday. And this Mousset is quite a presence, isn't he?
Ray Roche
8 Posted 24/11/2019 at 17:40:44
GREAT watching Sheffield United stuff Manchester Utd.
Daniel A Johnson
9 Posted 24/11/2019 at 17:41:42
Man Utd went for a guy who’s previous experience was Molde and Cardiff City, they are arguably the biggest team in the Premier League. They are now paying for that, they are almost as badly run as we are.
Brent Stephens
10 Posted 24/11/2019 at 17:42:03
Sheffield's style of play and effectiveness speaks volumes about what a good manager can do with a half-decent squad. Everton's squad is more than half-decent. A disgrace that Silva can't get more out of them.
Daniel A Johnson
11 Posted 24/11/2019 at 17:43:19
The decision to let the club captain Jagielka go when we didn’t have Zouma tied up was the most baffling decision ever. He’s being immense here against Man Utd.
Mike Gaynes
12 Posted 24/11/2019 at 17:43:48

Idle thought as I watch Jags inspire here... I wonder if the reason Jags was ready to leave was that he didn't want to play for Silva anymore?

James Flynn
13 Posted 24/11/2019 at 17:45:23
I wonder Michael if since the refs let defenders block, even push, attackers away in those situations if they see turnabout as fair play?

Away from that, a couple things:

First: This is the 4th time watching Sheffield United play this season. I followed them last season for Kieran and had never heard of their manager, Chris Wilder. Turns out there was good reason for that. A career, minor league, ham-n-egger as a player.

Turns out, this time 2 seasons ago, he's leading United up from the bottom of the 1st Division to promotion. Wins the Championship after a good fight with a couple other clubs, and here, not 2 years gone, has the same in 5th place and outplaying a top league opponent. And not for the first time this season, as we know.

Having watched the way he sets them up and the way they go hard (in both directions) for 90 minutes, Wilder is proving England still does produce good managers!

Second: I cannot (unfortunately) see our Kieran going hard for 90 minutes the way Sheffield United do. No wonder Wilder sat him for the run-in to the title last season. Oh well.

Third: JAGs!! He looks great.

Last: That player who shouldered Jones over, got the ball, looked up, and saw 3 teammates sprinting into the box (Sigh). If only.

James Flynn
14 Posted 24/11/2019 at 18:05:33
Whoops, jags
Rob Halligan
15 Posted 24/11/2019 at 18:06:08
See the great Sheff Utd were 2-0 up, are now 3-2 down.
Mark Guglielmo
16 Posted 24/11/2019 at 18:06:45
Perhaps some shouldn't be too hasty to anoint Sheffield as the next great team. 10' worth of the 2nd half have demonstrated that.
Tony Hill
17 Posted 24/11/2019 at 18:07:59
Ah, change of script.
Michael Kenrick
18 Posted 24/11/2019 at 18:08:34
What a turnaround... and Jags sleeping a bit there.

Still MotM?

Ray Roche
19 Posted 24/11/2019 at 18:09:01
Rob, Sheffield United should have been home and hosed before Manchester United got the chance to stage a comeback.
Mike Gaynes
20 Posted 24/11/2019 at 18:11:01
Rob, and MU's comeback was triggered by three teenagers, two of whom scored their first goals for the club. I wonder what it's like to see that. Wish we had a teenager.
Brent Stephens
21 Posted 24/11/2019 at 18:16:32
Sheffield Utd back in it.
Brent Stephens
22 Posted 24/11/2019 at 18:18:06
VAR. Goal ruled in.
Brent Stephens
23 Posted 24/11/2019 at 18:18:41
Another VAR decision to a big club!
Derek Taylor
24 Posted 24/11/2019 at 18:21:31
Jags is still better than any central defender we've got. He'got heart, energy and enthusiasm!
Ray Roche
25 Posted 24/11/2019 at 18:24:12
I was thinking that Derek, Jags or Keane? I know who I prefer.
James Flynn
26 Posted 24/11/2019 at 18:42:37
Now THAT was a fun football game.
Matthew Williams
27 Posted 25/11/2019 at 14:33:31
Well that was a fun weekend!,when twenty odd Barry Town fans make more noise than the Goodison faithful...you know you're in desperate trouble.

Kudos to Chris Wilder,it least his lads fucking graft...if I was Mosh,the 1st team would be "enjoying" cold weather training in North Wales,running up and down Snowdon until they all puked!!!.

Dave Abrahams
28 Posted 25/11/2019 at 20:32:12
Just watched the first thirty minutes of Villa v Newcastle, what a load of boring backwards and sideways football, switched it off, going to read a book, football, boring as hell, a lot of the time now.
Matthew Williams
29 Posted 26/11/2019 at 13:46:17
Agreed Dave,I call it now unreal footy,just full of safety first,boring game of chess type footy,am lucky as I can pick up in Southport S4C and enjoy real blood and thunder,up and at 'em Welsh Premier games on Friday night...and of course NO FUCKING VAR...sadly it's the only footballing pleasure am getting this season...sigh.

I swear if Lee Jenkins of Aberystwyth Town doesn't make the big time,I'll buy every ToffeeWebber a pint and of course a Diet Coke for Gentleman John Snr.

Rob Halligan
30 Posted 26/11/2019 at 13:57:29
Well, after I wrote a couple of weeks ago about Mike Dean, and whether he should be the fourth official at the RS v man city game because of where he comes from, he is now to be the referee for next week's derby game at Mordor. Even worse, fucking Martin Atkinson is to be the VAR official.

Seriously, are the premier league and PGMOL having a laugh or what?

Tony Abrahams
31 Posted 26/11/2019 at 14:06:19
I’ve been saying it for years but the scariest part of VAR, is now starting to happen Rob, MartinfuckingAtkinson, is genuinely terrifying, especially if he’s got three minutes and twenty different angles, which can help him deny Everton.
Rob Halligan
32 Posted 26/11/2019 at 14:11:10
I've no idea who the fourth official is, Tony, but it's bound to be Lee Mason. God help us next week.
Matthew Williams
33 Posted 26/11/2019 at 14:11:40
I wonder if our board will make a complaint Rob ?, LOL am sure the spinless fuckers will just rock up at Mordor hoping we can nick a point...jeez,my club will fucking kill me.

Btw,if I was in charge the game would simply NOT BE PLAYED,the lads would be in no fit state to play a night game after a full day of "cold weather training"...as for the EPL and Amazon...FUCK 'EM.

Brian Harrison
34 Posted 26/11/2019 at 14:17:59
Rob

Please tell me thats a wind up saying Mike Dean is to referee the derby game. He has admitted he has 2 sons who are reds season ticket holders. I don't trust him one bit, all that carry on when he was standing on the seat at a Tranmere game screaming and shouting what a complete arse.

Rob Halligan
35 Posted 26/11/2019 at 14:20:05
Brian, it's in today's red echo

Tony Abrahams
36 Posted 26/11/2019 at 14:22:23
He’s got two sons who have season tickets for Liverpool? And yet I’d still sooner have him as the ref than Atkinson, honest.
Rob Halligan
37 Posted 26/11/2019 at 14:23:50
Surely if that's the case Brian, then Everton should put a complaint in to the premier league?
Steve Ferns
38 Posted 26/11/2019 at 20:21:57
Spurs 2-0 down
Steve Ferns
39 Posted 26/11/2019 at 20:30:32
Mourinho not messing around here and has brought on Eriksson after only 28 minutes. Off trots Dier, whose name sums up Spurs so far!
Dave Abrahams
40 Posted 27/11/2019 at 19:16:33
Mathew (29), regarding the young lad you mentioned Lee Jenkins, drop a line to Everton c/o John Ebbrell, if the lad is as good as you think, they will send someone to watch him.

Make sure your name is on the letter in large print, if they sign him, drop them another line for your “dropsy”.

Matthew Williams
41 Posted 29/11/2019 at 15:16:34
I will do Dave, thanks. I really rate this kid only 18 too, brave can use both feet and moves the ball outta defence with ease, just a shame the rest of the Aberystwyth team are a shambles ATM.

BTW mate, I am defo not hopeful with our next two games and the December fixtures in general... when will the misery end eh?

Matthew Williams
42 Posted 02/12/2019 at 14:18:58
Email sent!,I only hope one of our Scouts takes the hint and makes it over to God's country to watch the lad,looks like we could do with a whole new set-up soon enough the way where heading!.

Am just numb with the way things are with my club ATM...dreading Wednesday...jeez.

Dave Abrahams
43 Posted 02/12/2019 at 14:45:43
Mathew (41), what position is Lee?Has he got pace? I’ll keep my eye out for him.

Well we might have got a point at Leicester, but when luck looks the other way!!, we can continue to watch and maybe the injuries will ease, a couple of good signings in January and Lady Luck gives us a chance and then we’re up and running, never give up.

If you know Lee Jenkins don’t tell him he might be getting watched by Everton, might try too hard, just tell him to keep doing his best and that you never know, a few scouts might be looking at your games, best of luck to the kid.