Reader Comments (6)

Mike Gaynes
1 Posted 07/12/2019 at 19:36:27
Ugly... racist abuse of Man Utd players by Man City fans.

City fans bombarding Fred and Lingard with lighters and water bottles while trying to take a corner... and one guy in the front row making gorilla gestures at Fred.

Michael Kenrick
2 Posted 08/12/2019 at 17:53:08
Interesting VAR decsion at Brighton, Dunk (defender), lying on the ground, tries to push the ball away with his head, it rolls onto his arm as he pulls it away...

Definitely handball contact visible to all. But it would have been an absolute travesty to give that as a penalty. Yet I thought the rule was very simple: any handball by a defender in the area is an automatic penalty, intentional or not. Has that changed yet again? Or is VAR getting better?

Or is it any handball for an attacker? I am so confused anymore.

Rob Halligan
3 Posted 08/12/2019 at 17:59:29
ANY handball by an attacker which results in a "goal" being scored, is disallowed due to handball, Michael.

Any unintentional handball, such as the one you're on about, is not a penalty. Would have been nice to have seen the penalty awarded against Brighton though.

Michael Kenrick
4 Posted 08/12/2019 at 18:05:59
Thanks, Rob. I did have it the wrong way around in my mind, then.

Still makes no sense. How can you have unintentional handball for one team but not the other? Surely that inconsistency is clearly wrong. I know this has come up before but I can't remember if one of our VAR experts has explained why it makes any sense at all.

Rob Halligan
5 Posted 08/12/2019 at 18:08:31
God knows. We need Mike Gaynes to explain why one is given as handball, while one is not. Handball is handball!!
Matthew Williams
6 Posted 09/12/2019 at 12:48:26
I urge all my fellow Blues to watch Lee Trundle's (he's still playing in his early 40s) 2nd goal for Ammanford from Friday night in their 4-0 away Cup win,a sublime goal that even Messi would be proud of.

If our board had any sense (LOL) they would get the lad back home as a attacking coach to teach our Strikers how it's done!.