I’m part of a team at the University of Sheffield, led by Dr Chris
Stride. We've published a number of academic papers and magazine
articles relating to football history, on subjects such as statues and
replica shirts (see, for example sportingstatues.com, annd:Shirt tales: how adults adopted the replica football kit).

Our current project is investigating the music that football teams have
run or walked out of the tunnel to over the years.

Having been in contact with a number of historically minded Evertonians, I realise 'Z Cars' has been used at Goodison Park since around the spring of 1962, and is to proudly in use today.

However, I wondered if any fans knew of any instances in which Z Cars had been replaced by another song or version? If so, what was the response among fans at the time?

I should also add that we are not interested in goal music, or a song
that is played at the final whistle, but just the song that is on the
tannoy system as the players enter the field.

If you think someone else may be able to help, or you have any
questions, please let us know!  We would be very happy to discuss the
project.

Thanks for your time,

Joe Headland

Reader Comments (20)

Michael Kenrick
Editorial Team
2 Posted 07/03/2020 at 15:55:47
It's a great trivia question, Joe, and lots of people think Everton have always run out to Z-Cars, although the specific version of the Johnny Todd music has varied.

But there was a time when the music was changed, albeit briefly. Here's what I wrote on the topic... probably quite a while ago now:

Everton Folklore: Z-Cars

Good luck with your research!

Rob Halligan
3 Posted 07/03/2020 at 16:04:00
Joe, in the '90s Everton changed from Z-Cars to 2001 - A Space Odyssey, for one game only, and replaced it for the next home game with a poor version of Bad Moon Rising. Neither went down well with Everton fans so, for the third home game of whatever season it was, Z-Cars was reinstated and has been there ever since.
Alan J Thompson
4 Posted 07/03/2020 at 16:09:46
I seem to recall a time when "We shall not be moved" (Like a tree beside the waterside) was played either just prior to or when the teams came out but don't recall if it made more than one season.
Joe McMahon
5 Posted 07/03/2020 at 16:11:06
Joe, just Imagine if Everton ran out to Motorhead Ace of Spades!
Bill Rodgers
6 Posted 07/03/2020 at 19:43:48
Astonishing that academia is reduced to this – either with or without the direction of Dr Chris Stride. It may qualify for a pub quiz or even a round of Trivial Pursuit but, as subject for serious study (costing either taxpayers or students thousands), it is a farce.
Pete Cross
7 Posted 07/03/2020 at 19:57:10
Talking about Z-Cars, how can I get it with sirens for my I phone ringtone?
Dennis Stevens
8 Posted 07/03/2020 at 20:05:48
I remember that my home town team, Worcester City, used to run out to Time Is Tight by Booker T & The MGs. It was a really excellent tune for the purpose & I'd recommend that anybody unfamiliar with the tune give it a whirl. You can't have too much Booker T & The MGs!
Peter Mills
9 Posted 08/03/2020 at 09:06:13
Alan #4 – “We shall not be moved” has occasionally been played before FA Cup ties. I can't remember the specific matches, although the quarter-final against Colchester in 1971 springs to mind.

I don't think it replaced Z-Cars, but preceded it.

Dave Williams
10 Posted 08/03/2020 at 10:53:20
Peter #9, you are correct. We Shall Not Be Moved was played immediately before the players ran out to Z-Cars for a number of years. I think we adopted it as our song in the cup run and win of 1966 and it stayed with us for quite some time. I always see the Holy Trinity whenever I hear that song – great memories.
Chris Williams
11 Posted 08/03/2020 at 11:17:09
The short-lived change from Z-Cars was apparently instigated under Peter Johnson's stewardship and that idiot from Norwich, I seem to recall.

They clearly ‘got' the club...

Alan J Thompson
12 Posted 08/03/2020 at 11:41:11
Peter (#9); Thanks for that as it was posted at the top that research showed Z-Cars was played from 1962 and I thought that it was earlier than I remember but couldn't put a date to it, albeit I can only remember We Shall Not Be Moved from 1966.

Anyone remember when the TV programme actually ran as I believe the music was specifically written for the TV series.

Dave Williams
13 Posted 08/03/2020 at 12:42:47
Alan, very early sixties, I think.
Len Hawkins
14 Posted 08/03/2020 at 12:52:08
It wasn't a tune they ran out to but The Holy Ground by the Clancy Brothers and Tommy Makem was played a lot in the 60's. Another regular was I'm off to Dublin in the green I think it was the Dubliners.

The Z Cars theme is the music to a folk song called Johnny Todd.

Dave Lynch
15 Posted 08/03/2020 at 13:02:05
Joe, just Imagine if Everton ran out to Motorhead Ace of Spades!

Now that I could go for...

Peter Mills
16 Posted 08/03/2020 at 13:19:55
Z Cars started on telly in 1962.

“We shall not be moved” was the B-side to “The Carnival is over” by The Seekers in late 1965. As Dave says, it was adopted as an anthem during the 1966 FA Cup run, I remember full-belt renditions of it at Burnden Park and Wembley. It was also sung with great gusto when we beat the rs in the 5th round at Goodison the following season.

There was also a raucous and lengthy singing of it at half-time during the semi-final at Old Trafford 1971 when we were leading the rs 1-0. That match, however, turned out to be more “the carnival is over” for the next 13 years.

Dave Abrahams
17 Posted 08/03/2020 at 13:31:44
Peter ( various), yes loved that one, “ We shall not be moved” It brings back 1966 vividly, marvellous times throughout that cup winning run.
John McFarlane Snr
18 Posted 08/03/2020 at 14:07:41
HI Dave [17],

The first time I can recall "We shall not be moved" was in the queue in Bullens Road for tickets for the 1966 semi-final, I'm not saying that it was the first it was sung, I only missed the Bedford game in that cup run and I can't remember hearing it any other game.

The reason I missed the Bedford game was because an Everton fan who lived down there, advised (through the Liverpool Echo) that anyone without a ticket had absolutely no chance of obtaining one, he claimed that Cup Fever had gripped the Town. My uncles, Tommy and Phil, told me that tickets were given away by a mounted policeman, ah well, that's life.

Alan J Thompson
19 Posted 08/03/2020 at 16:40:04
Peter (#16); I seem to remember Brian Labone calling it an old negro spiritual song so it may pre-date that Seekers version but it will always be 1966 for me.
Jim Bennings
20 Posted 09/03/2020 at 12:47:46
I've noticed we no longer play the All Together Now song from
1995 Cup Final.

This was once frequented before home games in both league and Cup, they've probably realised now fans have long sussed that our actual Cup record is truly shocking.

Thank God for that trophy Big Joe produced in '95.

Joe Headland
21 Posted 16/03/2020 at 04:28:52
Thank you to everyone for commenting and sharing your memories, and Michael of course for enlightening me further. It's much appreciated.

To answer a few questions... In terms of the funding of the study (and the wasting tax payers money ;) ), these studies have very little costs, and any costs they do incur are funded through statistical training courses Chris runs privately. This is essentially a hobby project - Chris's day to day work is in statistics for more worthy causes such as workplace related health, Nick's a teacher, and I work for a running company.

The reason we're doing this study is because we're football fans who are all interested in the game and what it says about the wider culture we live in. We're not only interested in what the music is/was, but the why - we're keen to see how changes in style, type of music used relate to a club's status, wider music fashions, the wider fashionability of football, how clubs have attempted to commodify the match going experience and the battle between globalism/localism.

If I could ask one final question of you all - I assume a marching band was used before the tannoy system, but does anyone know what song preceded Z Cars?

Once again, thanks for all your help!
Joe