As a diversion during the Coronavirus close season, I've created this crossword puzzle.

Just click the link above to view a PDF version that you can print out.

Reader Comments (24)

Brent Stephens
1 Posted 18/03/2020 at 10:22:08
If you haven't seen this, you might want to have a go.

If you have seen it, how's it going?

Peter Mills
2 Posted 18/03/2020 at 10:28:46
Brent, I’m going to print it and have a go at it today. Some are easy, others have got me scratching my head.

Great idea.

Jay Wood
[BRZ]

3 Posted 18/03/2020 at 12:02:01
'Fess up, Brent.

You compile the notoriously difficult crosswords for The Times, don't you?

Some clues are dead easy. Many others require the puzzled reader to enter the Stephens' mind and mindset to have a hope of working them out. A disturbing world to enter, if I'm being brutally frank...

Don't reveal the answers until at least the end of the year Brent. I might have cracked them all by then.

That, or I will have been sectioned under the Mental Health Act.

Brent Stephens
4 Posted 18/03/2020 at 12:02:50
Peter, did the crossword come out as it should for you? A mate I emailed it to said it came out misshapen.
Brent Stephens
5 Posted 18/03/2020 at 12:05:08
Jay, is it 1 across you're struggling with?!

I'll come and visit you in the institution!

Dave Abrahams
6 Posted 18/03/2020 at 13:11:12
Brent (5), I’ve had a look at it, can you put my name down on your visiting list, please. PS I only like green grapes, no black ones, thanks.
Brent Stephens
7 Posted 18/03/2020 at 13:37:43
Dave, your on my visit list - one grape per visit! Rationing and all that.

Dave Abrahams
8 Posted 18/03/2020 at 13:44:27
Brent (7), thanks Brent, it’s the thought that counts, while muttering to myself “ Fuckin’ brass hinge”.
Brent Stephens
9 Posted 18/03/2020 at 13:48:08
But I'd peel it for you, Dave! Generous to a fault.
John G Davies
10 Posted 18/03/2020 at 14:54:06
Country going on lock down from tomorrow /Friday.
More crosswords will be needed.
And more grapes
Dave Abrahams
11 Posted 18/03/2020 at 15:23:30
Brent (9),

I know you are good, Brent, but how are you going to peel a grape with surgical gloves on!

Peter Mills
12 Posted 18/03/2020 at 15:30:12
Brent, yes it printed fine. I've currently got two to get.

If this is what the next few months is going to be like, I won't last long.

Patrick McFarlane
13 Posted 18/03/2020 at 15:39:51
Brent, I fear I may have got the wrong answer to 22 across as I'm sure that Ray would be arrested in many places or at the very least ostracised by his peers. (Only Joking!)
Brent Stephens
14 Posted 18/03/2020 at 15:51:38
Dave #11, I'd get my wife to do it. She can empty my wallet of its contents without taking it from my pocket.

Brent Stephens
15 Posted 18/03/2020 at 15:54:22
Peter #12 good going. I've lost the answers and had a crack at the blank crossword. I couldn't get five of the answers!

Joking.

Ray Roche
16 Posted 18/03/2020 at 16:18:39
Why Patrick, what have I been up to now? 😉
Patrick McFarlane
17 Posted 18/03/2020 at 16:35:00
Ray#16 As I said I've hopelessy messed up on Brent's crossword - but the clue to 22 accross reads as follows "I hope Ray is doing this to himelf (9). :)
Peter Mills
18 Posted 18/03/2020 at 16:39:44
Stuck on last one. It’s staring me in the face and I can’t see it.
Ray Roche
19 Posted 18/03/2020 at 16:40:30
Not sure how to respond to that😳
Patrick McFarlane
20 Posted 18/03/2020 at 16:45:36
Peter #18 Here's a Tip to your Fare question, Ray - big grin - I Can't do smiley face emojis

Peter Mills
21 Posted 18/03/2020 at 19:57:39
27 Across - got it. Came back to it and got it after a couple of hours. Finished!

Thanks Brent.

Brent Stephens
22 Posted 18/03/2020 at 20:08:05
Brilliant, Peter!

You win the prize - a year’s subscription to Liverpool’s football channel (commonly known as Sky Sports). Hang on, anybody could claim they’d finished the crossword!

I struggled with a few clues especially the final bottom few acrosses and downs.

Funny the way the brain works - returning to a problem after a while and cracking it. Some of my more creative solutions come to me middle of the night.

Peter Mills
23 Posted 18/03/2020 at 20:41:37
I did notice it became more cryptic as it progressed!
Trevor Powell
24 Posted 29/03/2020 at 17:18:32
Following on, for those of you bored by the lockdown, I have designed an Eighties EFC Players wordsearch which can be found at

Link

I hope that is accurate not only in the criteria and data but also trasposing onto a word docx accurately!