This unwanted but necessary suspension of football has afforded me time to do some work "under the bonnet" of the website, as it were, and I'm hoping to nail down why some users aren't able to edit their comments immediately after submission.

A few people have mentioned in the past that the blue "Edit" button either isn’t there or doesn’t work but I can’t replicate the problem on any of my devices or browsers which is why I’m reaching out to our readers here.

Note that the button should only be available for around five minutes after the submission of the comment. This is to give you time to amend any typos or other minor corrections rather than be able to go back much later and substantially alter a comment's content.

Anyway, if you no longer have that Edit button available following submission of a comment or if it's no longer functioning, I'd be grateful if you could post details below.

Please also post any other problems you're experiencing with the site, either below or to contact@toffeeweb.com.

Reader Comments (23)

Martin Nicholls
1 Posted 14/05/2020 at 09:34:51
Hi Lyndon - I just get the message that posts are editable, but no facility to do it ie the edit button itself is unavailable.
Thanks once again to you and Michael for your efforts in keeping this great site going. Very best wishes to you both and to your families. Stay safe and COYB!
Kevin Prytherch
2 Posted 14/05/2020 at 09:39:44
I can see the edit button on a laptop, but not on an iPhone if that helps??
Eric Myles
3 Posted 14/05/2020 at 09:46:33
Lyndon, I have NEVER had the edit button until just recently. And it works fine.

However, I do have an ongoing issue on an Android 9.0 'phone whereby the News-Rumours-Comments-Articles bar does not appear at the top of the page.

No problem on my old A8.0 though.

Rob Halligan
4 Posted 14/05/2020 at 09:56:22
I use a kindle fire HD, and the other week I had to log out of TW. I also changed my password and when I was up and running again the blue edit button appeared.
Mike Gaynes
5 Posted 15/05/2020 at 07:57:56
I keep trying to edit other people's comments, but it doesn't work.
Derek Thomas
6 Posted 15/05/2020 at 08:53:23
Mike Gaynes @5,

I keep trying to edit other people's comments, and it does work.

Edit; that said, the site has gone to pot on my Huawei mobile.

Brian Wilkinson
7 Posted 15/05/2020 at 22:28:16
I used to have the edit button but not seen it for the past few months, I use google search and on an iPad, have tried it just on a safari browser and no edit button there either.
Brian Wilkinson
8 Posted 15/05/2020 at 22:31:19
Sorry above. I should have mentioned that no edit button is showing up, either when I have posted, or gone right out and gone straight back in after a minute.
Brian Wilkinson
9 Posted 15/05/2020 at 22:38:39
Just wondering if people are also having issues through iphone and if it is an iOS Issue.

I saw this on an issue and wondered if although for a different edit button if the below may be simular.

Turns out the problem has to do with iCloud. Rich didn't feel the need to enable any apps to use iCloud, including Contacts. And therein lies the problem. For whatever reason, the Edit button goes missing for some iOS 5 users because they didn't allow iCloud to access their Contacts.

If you have a missing Edit button, you simply need to go to Settings > iCloud and move the slider to On for Contacts.

Brent Stephens
10 Posted 15/05/2020 at 23:19:51
Mike # “I keep trying to edit other people's comments”.

So that’s why my posts sound intelligent!

Brian Wilkinson
11 Posted 16/05/2020 at 01:10:12
Continuing from my post 9, I have checked my settings in iCloud and mine is set at contacts on, so ignore that post.

Might be worth asking the posters who do not have it what browser they are using or device, couple of the earlier posts on iPhone seem to point towards IOS as is with me also, but with IOS through an iPad.

John Pickles
13 Posted 16/05/2020 at 09:36:52
I donot ned it as my posts are, alweys acurate wen I sudmit them,.
Martin Nicholls
14 Posted 16/05/2020 at 10:39:47
Hi Lyndon - further to mine at #1 above, I usually access TW via a tablet. I am trying this msg from my laptop to see if edit button appears.

Forgive my ignorance, but I could make your average Luddite look like a technocrat!

Martin Nicholls
15 Posted 16/05/2020 at 10:49:34
No improvement, Lyndon.
Lenny Kingman
16 Posted 16/05/2020 at 12:08:16
It's hit and miss. Bit like some of our players.

Sometimes it's there and sometimes it ain't!

Simon Dalzell
17 Posted 18/05/2020 at 00:19:01
I've never noticed a problem. I just echo Martin's sentiments. Thanks Lyndon and Michael for your tremendous efforts that you put into the site.
Lyndon Lloyd
18 Posted 18/05/2020 at 16:38:44
Thanks for the info, folks. I suspect it's an issue related to session cookies but I'll follow up with a couple of you via email to see if you're willing and able to dig a little deeper.

Brian (11), this won't have anything to do with iCloud or similar personal settings. The only thing you could do to affect it is log out of ToffeeWeb or disable cookies on your device.

Brian Wilkinson
19 Posted 21/05/2020 at 15:58:25

More than welcome to be contacted by email to help.

Brian Wilkinson
20 Posted 21/05/2020 at 16:02:35
This is what comes up when I view my post before the 5 minute time elapse when edit button goes normally.

Brian Wilkinson
19 Posted 21/05/2020 at 15:58:25
Flag this comment. Hi Lyndon, I am logged into ToffeeWeb, I have gone into settings and checked cookies and that is showing as off so no cookies being blocked.
More than welcome to be contacted by email to help.

Per our Comments Monitoring policies, submissions may be subject to moderation. By submitting a Comment below you agree to abide by our Conditions of Use. See full disclaimer below.

Your Full Name Brian Wilkinson
(Wrong member name? Log out here)

Brian Wilkinson
21 Posted 21/05/2020 at 16:11:59
Ignore above Lyndon, I will do a test here, then take a screen shot when I go straight back in to edit this post,

Have checked cookies and it is set to allow cookies.

Derek Knox
22 Posted 22/05/2020 at 18:23:55
Hi Lyndon, I can also vouch that the Edit button, on my Win 10 system, or on my Tablet, (Android) has not worked for so long now, I can't exactly remember when it ceased to do so.

I have 'almost got used to rescanning my contributions' before hitting the Submit Button. Although I have noticed on several occasions, after correcting typos etc, before submission, I have been aghast to find that those 'corrections' have reverted back to the unedited version.

I know John McFarlane Snr has an abhorrence of swear words, on the premise that young Evertonians may be reading the post, so bearing that in mind, and at the same time trying not upset John, I have often substituted the missing letters of a swear word, with *** or whatever only to find when I have read back that the full Anglo Saxon expletives have appeared, and foiled my subterfuge.

Terry White
23 Posted 27/05/2020 at 18:02:39
Derek, (#22), it's not only "young Evertonians" that are offended by those words or even your substitutions of ***. Those words are meaningless and add nothing to a post. To me the word "very" is usually good enough and should not offend anyone. As my mum used to say, if you have to use those kinds of words it shows a very poor grasp of the English language.
Duncan McDine
24 Posted 27/05/2020 at 18:43:41
My iPhone doesn’t have the effit button for fuxing typos, but I did drop it in the bath a few weeks back.

About these ads