Reader Comments (11)

Jeff Spiers
1 Posted 27/05/2020 at 09:24:06
And a big thank you to the refuse collectors, sewer workers, public transport staff, RNLI, shop staff, etc. Also a thought to those people living alone, the unemployed, the businesses destroyed, etc. They all matter, not just the NHS
Peter Gorman
2 Posted 28/05/2020 at 23:46:58
Fuck me, Jeff, it's not a competition. Start another thread if you like or just don't post anything.
Jeff Spiers
3 Posted 29/05/2020 at 07:06:50
Peter you are entitled to your opinion and I respect that. I am not starting a competition. Fuck me. Do you disagree with my views? The author is asking for money etc for NHS staff. They do a job and get paid. They chose that job. Or do you see them better than us mere mortals? I stick to my post.
Julie Naybour
4 Posted 06/06/2020 at 00:36:47
Hi Jeff,

I absolutely agree with you – all those people you've listed, and more besides, deserve as much thanks. But if I could point out firstly, we are not asking for money for NHS staff. We are asking for nice gifts or experiences to say Thank You. We just wanted to say Thank You in unique ways to people who have put themselves at risk.

Plus, we would love someone to take up this initiative and offer similar to people from other walks of life. In fact, we would happily give them the domain name and any assistance to do so. However, it is beyond our technical ability to do that ourselves.

It has, in fact, been one huge struggle to get to the point we are at now, ie, website about to go live next week. It's taken many, many hours of unpaid work. The possibility of opening it up was in fact discussed and it was with regret that we just could not manage it.

But I agree with you – there are many unsung heroes and I hope they receive their reward as well.

Jeff Spiers
5 Posted 06/06/2020 at 10:39:17
Julie, my apology for the money issue. Your response was spot on.
Julie Naybour
6 Posted 07/06/2020 at 16:37:33
Thanks Jeff
Paul Burns
7 Posted 22/06/2020 at 22:10:49
I agree with Jeff.

The blanket praise of the NHS is very dangerous, akin to the sort of sycophantic, over-the-top nonsense lavished on American police forces for decades.

I worked in the NHS for years and it's a money pit, the waste and incompetence are eye-watering and go virtually unchallenged.

All of the saccharine platitudes raining on the heath service is nothing more than a diversionary tactic to take people's focus off the incompetence of government.

Jeff Spiers
8 Posted 25/06/2020 at 18:39:22
Paul Tran
9 Posted 25/06/2020 at 18:43:52
The best ways to help the NHS are to stick to your appointments, eat & drink better, don't get pissed and end up in A&E, pay your tax & NI and vote for parties/politicians who want to protect/enhance it.
Jeff Spiers
10 Posted 26/06/2020 at 07:12:13
Paul. Ditto
Joe McMahon
11 Posted 26/06/2020 at 07:27:53
Jeff, I also agree with you (and I work for the NHS).