Long-time readers of ToffeeWeb might well remember Alan Kirwin who was, at one time, a regular contributor to the site.

Alan sadly passed away last week and was laid to rest today.

So raise a glass this evening to a fellow Blue and member of the TW community. Our condolences and best wishes to his family and friends.

RIP, fella.

Reader Comments (37)

Mike Gaynes
1 Posted 22/09/2020 at 16:21:02
Lyndon, thank you.

I remember Alan, although it's probably a decade since I saw him post. Liked analysis and had a good turn of phrase. He and guys like Gavin Ramejkis and Dave Wilson were regular commenters back then... and one day they had just moved on.

Condolences to his family. Always sad to lose a TW Blue.

Ryan Holroyd
2 Posted 22/09/2020 at 17:07:56
RIP Alan
Jack Convery
3 Posted 23/09/2020 at 00:04:49
RIP. Condolences to his family and friends.
Darren Hind
4 Posted 23/09/2020 at 08:35:04
I remember Alan from when I first discovered TW. He grabbed my attention by saying he was from Arundel – my sister lived there at the time.

An impressively articulate man.

RIP, Blue.

Christine Foster
5 Posted 23/09/2020 at 13:34:20
Condolences to all his family and yet wonderful that ToffeeWeb should remember him as part of their Everton family. In years to come, it's nice to think that people will be remembered here and all the others that went before him. So a pint will stand untouched at the end of the bar for an absent blue, next to the half for Harold Matthews. RIP, Alan.
Ciarán McGlone
6 Posted 23/09/2020 at 13:37:23
Had many a feisty but good natured argument with Alan.

Well missed. Blue dreams mate.

David Ellis
7 Posted 24/09/2020 at 07:04:00
I also remember him. A few now that have fallen by the wayside since we started all this 20+ years ago on Evertonia and before that the Carling website.
Andy Crooks
8 Posted 24/09/2020 at 17:22:57
Alan was not frightened to stand alone. He also did not have a closed mind. That made him a great debater and goddesses.
Ajay Gopal
9 Posted 25/09/2020 at 05:56:16
I don't recall him (I've been a TWer since 2006-07), but I offer my condolences on the passing of a fellow Blue and TWer. RIP!

On another note, I do recall some very entertaining contributors who are not seen here anymore – Richard Dodds (Doddy!), Conor Roehrer, Ken Buckley, another fellow Indian TWer (whose name escapes me at the moment). Hope they are all doing well, wherever they are.

Derek Knox
10 Posted 25/09/2020 at 09:16:49
I vaguely remember Alan posting too, and as with many posters who seem to disappear, one often wonders if they have fallen out of love with Football, Everton or ToffeeWeb, or something more serious, as is the case here.

It is an inevitability that we will all endure at some point sadly, but nevertheless fact. Just hope as with all those who are departing or have departed, that Everton, and TW of course, has played some part in providing the better and more enjoyable things in life!

Kevin Molloy
11 Posted 25/09/2020 at 10:22:35
interesting, and prescient article:

The End of the Beginning...

Dave Abrahams
12 Posted 25/09/2020 at 16:29:15
Yes, I haven't been on ToffeeWeb all that long but I always read Patrick Murphy's interesting and informative posts.

I hope he is okay, he came across as a fervent Evertonian.

Brian Williams
13 Posted 25/09/2020 at 16:46:01
RIP Alan.
John Cook
14 Posted 25/09/2020 at 17:00:55
Didn't know Alan as I only posted recently on ToffeeWeb. Sad when anyone dies, more so when a fellow blue. We all feel the pain. RIP, Alan. My thoughts go out to your family.
Jay Harris
15 Posted 25/09/2020 at 17:02:27
Condolences to Alan's family and may he RIP.

I often wonder if Doddy has done a Lord Lucan. If anyone can find him ask him to let us know he is okay. Similarly with Gavin Ramekis who was also a regular contributor at one time.

Jamie Crowley
16 Posted 25/09/2020 at 21:52:37
RIP Alan. Condolences to his family.

If TW has a Patron Saint, it's Harold Matthews. I trust Harold and Alan have met by now. Have a pint together.

Karl Masters
17 Posted 25/09/2020 at 22:21:13
It’s amazing just how many regular posters from yesteryear have disappeared from this site.

I’m sure some have died, some have just lost interest, while I’m sure a fair few will have tired of the petty bickering often found on here.

Kieran Kinsella
18 Posted 25/09/2020 at 22:34:17
I knew the name when I saw the headline but couldn't place it until I saw the detail and indeed I remember he was quite a regular on here. Sad news. As Jamie said, hopefully him and Harold can look down on a win tomorrow.
Andy Crooks
19 Posted 28/09/2020 at 20:25:51
Kevin @ 11, thanks for that link. My God those were the days. Twenty years ago some of the threads on here made the live forum look like Sunday school. Does anyone recall the Irish Mafia nonsense?

Alan, by the way, gave as good as he got. Well, maybe not with Eugene.

Darren Hind
20 Posted 29/09/2020 at 04:25:39
The amazing thing about the article Kevin Molloy dug up is the date it was submitted.

Exactly 10 years (to the day) after Alan submitted this article, Lyndon announces his passing. Incredible coincidence.

I gorra know; was this really Alans last contribution to TW?

Andy Crooks
21 Posted 29/09/2020 at 19:20:12
Darren, a few years ago Alan posted a two line comment on an article. I was so surprised that I checked with Michael K who confirmed that it was indeed him.

By the way, Darren, you would have loved Dave Wilson. An articulate, feisty troublemaker( are you Dave under another name by any chance?!! )His battles with Eugene were magnificent stuff.
He once had a battle with Michael K over a small matter about distance involving Distin. It went on forever and I think he drove Michael to the edge. I think Dave was wrong that time but he didn't do "wrong".
Dave if you are out there, come back. Michael, do you miss him?

Stephen Brown
22 Posted 29/09/2020 at 19:49:27
RIP Alan! Sad when a knowledgeable blue leaves us especially with so much optimism around!

That was a great article he wrote too! Even Carlo gets a mention with his 433 formation!

Matt Traynor
23 Posted 29/09/2020 at 19:54:06
It's perhaps somewhat maudlin, but I think given TW has been around so long, and ToffeeNet before it, it's inevitable that we're going to lose people. Maybe a page where you could have a ToffeeWeb-centric Obituary? Or maybe that's actually my worst idea in a long time.
Andy Crooks
25 Posted 29/09/2020 at 21:09:45
Reading about Alan's passing has got me thinking. I guess I have been on this site for about 20 years and have debated with some really fine people. It is the measure of the site that Alan's passing was noted and commented on.
I hope that Michael and Lyndon realise the positive impact that their work has on many of us. I can say that it has been a very positive part of my life. Back in the day, I was involved in some ferocious stuff but it was fun. You know what, though, there has, in 20 years, never been an Evertonian I would not like to have met for a pint.

Because of this site I have been lucky enough to meet some of the very best.
RIP Alan.

Barry Rathbone
26 Posted 29/09/2020 at 21:53:20
Kevin Molloy @11

The comments in that TW article turned into a war zone with Eugene Ruane and Michael Kenwright becoming so irate, Alan Kirwin decided to jump ship.

What an epitaph.

Andy Crooks
27 Posted 29/09/2020 at 22:02:46
Barry, It was one article among many. You were involved in a lot of that stuff back then as was I. It was a war zone at times but, Barry, you must admit it was a challenge. Do you not think we have got a bit soft?
I think it is a fine epitaph because Alan was no softie.
Joe McMahon
28 Posted 29/09/2020 at 22:07:11
Unfortunately I only vaguely remember Alan, and been coming on here since about 2004. So many names have disappeared, and like Ajay says some good memories, Doddy, Tony Marsh, Gavin Ramejkis, Ken Buckley as others have also noted.

Alan fond farewell, a member of the blue family has left us.
Bon voyage.

Brian Williams
29 Posted 29/09/2020 at 22:12:29
Barry#26
Michael Kenwright? I know he can be an arse but that's just unfair. 🤣🤣🤣
Barry Rathbone
30 Posted 29/09/2020 at 22:20:37
Andy

TW is definitely a different place these days but in hind sight I think the vitriol from all concerned back then hasn't stood the test of time.

I take the view conversing on the web should be as it would be face to face these days.

Barry Rathbone
31 Posted 29/09/2020 at 22:22:53
Brian Williams

Haha, guilty as charged - he'll kick off over that.

Apologies Mr Kenrick

Brian Williams
32 Posted 29/09/2020 at 22:27:52
And I'll get banned lol.
Andy Crooks
33 Posted 29/09/2020 at 22:37:56
I get your point, Barry but I have still have some nostalgia for the days when you put up an article and dreaded looking at the comments. I always took the view that ToffeeWeb was a like a pub where you met your mates and all was fair.

I suppose you are right, however, it was of the time and now it is much more civilised. Marshy, come back.

Michael Kenrick
34 Posted 29/09/2020 at 23:08:05
Thanks, Barry... I'd hate to probe the strange linkage you made between Boys Pen Bill and myself... hopefully just a simple typo and not something subliminal and sinister!

That was indeed a long time ago. I hope over the years we've found a better way of dealing with opposing opinions and reducing the personal insults, but that's not always the case – this is the internet, after all.

It looks like Alan continued to post for at least another year or so after that piece, going by a couple more articles that come up when searched, so perhaps him flouncing off in a huff was only temporary?

It is sad when people stop posting. But infinitely sadder for all their loved ones when it's because they are no longer alive.

ps: Andy @ 25... nice words, much appreciated.

Kevin Molloy
35 Posted 29/09/2020 at 23:15:47
sorry, I didn't read the comments!
Mike Gaynes
36 Posted 29/09/2020 at 23:30:41
Andy, yep, Dave Wilson was a character indeed.

And agreed, this site has been life-changing for some of us... I make it a point to express that to Lyndon and Michael every few years. (Not more often than that... don't want them getting soft.)

But as to your comment: "...there has, in 20 years, never been an Evertonian I would not like to have met for a pint."

That's obvious, since you schlepped all the way down to meet me. But I'm not as nice as you are... gotta admit there have been a few here I would prefer to avoid even if every pint was free!

Barry Rathbone
37 Posted 30/09/2020 at 19:59:59
Michael

No probs, it was a typo the old concentration is deffo on the wane.

If I don't put the keys in the same place every night the resultant search is akin to an episode of the krypton factor.

Dave Wilson
38 Posted 01/10/2020 at 14:22:57
Very sad news indeed.

I had plenty of up and downers with Alan. He would defend his corner with tigerish tenacity.

Andy Crooks

I still look in from time to time and yes you are right. Today's posters play an awful lot nicer. The barbed Ruane wit and the terrific returns of service from people like Ciaran McGlone have given way to a far more gentler way of debating.
I must admit. I belong to that time. I would trade several threads of fish puns for just one of Eugene's savage put downs.

I like Darrens Hinds post's. He's got stuff to say and he's certainly not one to run with the pack. I wonder how he would have got on in the shark infested waters we used to swim in.

Btw; Your claim that I wouldn't admit if I was wrong is a little unfair. I simply never had cause to :)

RIP Alan Kirwin. A large glass will be raised in his honor tonight