Brighton and Manchester United played out an entertaining game on the south coast that was settled in the Red Devils' favour by a stoppage-time handball decision.

The later afternoon game saw West Brom fly into a 3-0 lead over big-spending Chelsea before Burnley and Southampton met in the evening match at Turf Moor.

Sunday's line-up begins with a Yorkshire derby in Leeds while Tottenham host Newcastle, Man City play Leicester and West Ham face Wolves.

On Monday, the media-darling clash is between Liverpool and Arsenal after Fulham kick-off against Aston Villa.

Reader Comments (144)

Jamie Crowley
1 Posted 26/09/2020 at 13:10:37
Brighton! What a pen! Hahaha!!!
Derek Knox
2 Posted 26/09/2020 at 17:59:48
Chelsea are like a Chip Shop Cod at the moment getting battered!
3 Posted 26/09/2020 at 18:00:21
Chelsea 3-0 down at WBA! Knock me over with a wet lettuce!
4 Posted 26/09/2020 at 18:05:04
DK, is that an original Knox or did you borrow that quip?

"Chip shop cod." I like it. Too bad I can't use it here. Nobody knows what a chip shop is.

Dave Abrahams
5 Posted 26/09/2020 at 19:41:21
Chelsea have done well to come back and square the score, they have an expensive and young team trying to gel together, it’s not working at the moment, close to half time Lampard looked close to tears, I didn’t see the end of the game, I bet his kipper looked a lot happier than before and rightly so.
Phil Greenough
6 Posted 26/09/2020 at 19:47:55
It's your duty to educate your fellow citizens, Mike.
Dennis Stevens
7 Posted 26/09/2020 at 19:59:20
D'you not have Harry Ramsden's World Famous Fish & Chips over there Mike? :-o
Kieran Kinsella
8 Posted 27/09/2020 at 15:07:20
Schalke sacked Warner. That guy is like Silva in that he can't seem to arrest I dip in form. Oh well... at least he gave Kenny some experience.
9 Posted 27/09/2020 at 15:30:04
Dennis, no, unfortunately we have no good chip shop chains here. But I live on the coast, and many small towns have local fish and chips joints that are excellent. I have one about 45 minutes away called The Crazy Norwegian.
Derek Thomas
10 Posted 27/09/2020 at 15:39:01
Mike, I would swerve the chains on principle and stick with the local guy.
I'm loving this whole new EFC look though.
11 Posted 27/09/2020 at 15:53:23
Oh dear... here we go!
12 Posted 27/09/2020 at 15:54:03
Penalty. Exactly like ours. Consistent I suppose.
13 Posted 27/09/2020 at 15:54:52
Mourinho about to go off like Vesuvius.
14 Posted 27/09/2020 at 15:56:01
How sad. Never mind. It really is a farce though.
15 Posted 27/09/2020 at 15:58:07
Kane red card after the final whistle?
16 Posted 27/09/2020 at 16:00:12
Looked that way, John.

They have got to change this ridiculous rule. Hand-to-ball should be restored as the standard.

17 Posted 27/09/2020 at 16:01:30
It's totally sanitized Brent, reduced to a flow chart to ensure a consistent application. It's staying and teams will need to adapt I'm afraid.

Any handball outside the silhouette, with intent removed, will be penalized.

Ironically, Calvert-Lewin stayed inside the silhouette but imo clearly used his arm to help his body trap the ball in yesterday's game.

18 Posted 27/09/2020 at 16:02:51
John, nothing like ours mate. Ours was a bad decision, but it was going to put Richarlison in on goal, even though he was offside, but this is an absolute off the scale disgrace in my humble opinion.

It’s gonna get the game done away with, but some people are actually calling it progress? Maybe we are getting the game we want, although it’s possible decisions like this, might actually turn plenty of people away from the beautiful game.

Ernie Baywood
19 Posted 27/09/2020 at 16:03:16
Will - I've changed my mind! It will have to be fixed immediately.

Every close game is now being decided by it.

Players like Benteke, Carroll, even Crouch and Ferguson would be assets under this system. Lump it long and hope it hits an arm.

What a cock up!

Kieran Kinsella
20 Posted 27/09/2020 at 16:03:46
Explain this rule to me? If ball to hand is handball, then why weren't there three pens yesterday? I understood any handball was a pen now but it seems like 80 percent are but 20 percent inexplicably aren't. That oddity makes it even worse for in terms on confusion.

I doubt they'll go back to the old way mid-season though because teams who've suffered from this will say it's unfair.

Dan Nulty
21 Posted 27/09/2020 at 16:03:50
So defenders are going to have to run with their hands behind their back or hands in newly stitched pockets. This is ridiculous.
22 Posted 27/09/2020 at 16:05:05
The flip is when it hit an arm outside the silhouette you can argue you are changing the path of the ball, disadvantaging the team in possession. I can see the technical aspect of this but it’s not an objective rule is it? Just remove it from VAR.

The rule is applied differently across the pitch too which is madness.

But it does deprive Spurs, I’m all about that!

23 Posted 27/09/2020 at 16:06:25
I'd love to see an unwritten rule, but I'm not going to say what it is because everyone will just laugh at me, simply because of the way football has become.
Kieran Kinsella
24 Posted 27/09/2020 at 16:06:32
Also as Roy pointed out players will try to win pens by kicking it at players hands. I used to do that as a kid when out of options and it worked here and it there even in ball to hand days. I was a pioneer I guess of ruining the game.
Rob Halligan
25 Posted 27/09/2020 at 16:06:35
Ernie, it's paid off for Andy Carroll. Penalty for Newcastle in the last minute of added time after he headed a ball against Diers arm who was about ten millimetres away. Absolutely ridiculous decision. Callum Wilson slotted the penalty and left Jose storming down the tunnel. Game ended 1-1.
26 Posted 27/09/2020 at 16:09:09
No you wasn’t Kieran, because you never gave yourself the decision mate, if that makes any sense you little cheat!
Michael Jones
27 Posted 27/09/2020 at 16:09:50
Just watched another VAR decision giving a penalty against Spurs in the last minute, they should have scored more than one goal and it wouldn't have mattered.

Media are apoplectic and I am waiting to hear Mourino's comments...

28 Posted 27/09/2020 at 16:10:24
Watching Hoffenheim demolish Bayern. This is a fun weekend, handball rules or not.
Kieran Kinsella
29 Posted 27/09/2020 at 16:10:45
Lol true Tony. Vindicated!
30 Posted 27/09/2020 at 16:10:50
Tony, the arm in this case stopped the ball from going where it was intended, that's where the rule stops, the team was disadvantaged. It doesn't have to be going to another player on the same team, like ours which why people could rationalize the call. You've extended your own opinion onto the rule.

I'm just explaining the technical decision-making – not defending calls which detract from the game.

John McFarlane Snr
31 Posted 27/09/2020 at 16:11:43
Hi all, I've just listened to the Spurs/Newcastle game, yet more penalty controversy, ball to hand stood the test of time and now tinkering with the laws of the game is threatening to ruin things. I'm grateful that I can recall the times when the referee's decision was final whether we liked it or not. Surely the powers that be can see it's not a success.
32 Posted 27/09/2020 at 16:15:06
John #17 "Ironically, Calvert-Lewin stayed inside the silhouette but imo clearly used his arm to help his body trap the ball in yesterday’s game."

Yes, absolutely. Simplest is to say if in the ref's opinion it's a deliberate handball within the penalty area, then it's a pen.

Danny O’Neill
33 Posted 27/09/2020 at 16:17:45
For me, the discussion should be around how we make VAR work, not that it's ruining the game. Personally I feel that is the pundits' view as it potentially threatens their existence given they thrive off debating controversy. Don't buy in or be sucked into it. Something had to be done. Just look at the non VAR injustice we have been served over the years from incompetent and wrong decisions against Liverpool alone.

If it works for Rugby, why can't it work for football? At least with video it is there for all to see and there should be no debate.

Goes back to my point. Regardless, competent officials are key.

34 Posted 27/09/2020 at 16:18:37
Dan "So defenders are going to have to run with their hands behind their back or hands in newly stitched pockets."

I used to play like that in winter so I don't see why the pros can't.

Jamie Crowley
35 Posted 27/09/2020 at 16:20:24
Have seen multiple replays of the Spurs / Dier handball. It’s a pen.

But -

The rule is absolutely ridiculous. Dier was jumping in the air and the ball didn’t even directly hit him, it deflected off a New Caslte player. The rule has to be changed post-haste.

Now that shouldn’t stop anyone from detesting Jose Mouhrino. He stormed off the pitch like a 3 year old child. He is an ass of a human being. Arrogant, spoiled, and condescending. Couple that with Levy owning Spurs, that Club has become wholly unlikeable and I can’t see how anyone can root for them.

Now I’m off to Mass to pray God grants me humility and I become less judgmental.

Kieran Kinsella
36 Posted 27/09/2020 at 16:20:48
If Clive Thomas we’re alive he’d love this. He’d be calling players back the day after to take penalties
Brian Williams
37 Posted 27/09/2020 at 16:22:01
Tony#22.
Ahhh go 'ead Tone, give us a laugh!
Kieran Kinsella
38 Posted 27/09/2020 at 16:22:40
Mike, are Hoffenheim the team people hate for trying to buy success?
39 Posted 27/09/2020 at 16:23:47
My own opinion counts for nothing JP, because whatever it is, these idiotic decisions are absolutely ruining the game, mate.

I could see the argument yesterday because if it never hit Ward's arm, Richarlison would have been in on goal. (Still not a pen for me though.)

But that one today shows it's now gone beyond a joke. Then again, I was called a biased bastard when I didn't agree with a similar thing in the Champions League Final Liverpool won.

Where do they draw the line, before loads of people start drawing the curtains?

Stan Schofield
40 Posted 27/09/2020 at 16:25:01
Regarding this discussion about the rules on handball, I actually think it's a storm in a tea cup, a technicality that, like most technicalities, results inevitably in some people being pissed off with a refereeing/VAR decision.

In my view, it's all very unlikely to put anyone seriously off the game (including Hodgson, who's basically making a fuss about a decision that went against him, despite reservations he's expressed previously).

There are bigger fish to fry, like general cheating and diving, in relation to which the handball issues are a mere detail. It's those bigger fish that can put people off the game, regardless of what technology is used to assist decisions.

The media are making a meal of it partly because we're not Man Utd or Liverpool, but mainly because we're Everton. They didn't make a meal of all the dodgy decisions that went against us last season.

Dan Nulty
41 Posted 27/09/2020 at 16:25:06
Brent, maybe that's why you were never a pro?
42 Posted 27/09/2020 at 16:26:39
Afraid you're right, Dan.
Rob Hooton
43 Posted 27/09/2020 at 16:26:51
If that was a penalty for the barcodes then we are going to win the league!
Rob Halligan
44 Posted 27/09/2020 at 16:26:52
Kieran # 34. I don't think Clive Thomas is dead?
Dennis Stevens
45 Posted 27/09/2020 at 16:26:53
New soccer shirts will have to be designed like straight-jackets! Not for the goalies, of course – they can wear theirs after the match.
46 Posted 27/09/2020 at 16:28:16
Kieran #36, not as much as Leipzig and its Red Bull sponsorship.

German fans do hate Hoffenheim's owner Hopp because he likes to spend huge money on the club.

Hoffenheim 4-1 final, should have been 8-1 but Hoff missed 4-5 wide open chances. Amazing to see the world's best club so comprehensively destroyed.

47 Posted 27/09/2020 at 16:29:34
You know the score, Brian. Only a fucking idiot is honest when talking about contentious decisions that go their way. Fowler said Seaman never touched him, and was apparently destroyed in his own changing rooms for being honest.

So keep your mouth shut and cheat, man, until every player has to swear on the Bible before they enter the playing field under oath!

Peter Day
48 Posted 27/09/2020 at 16:29:52
Funny how the slightest brush of an arm/hand is being spotted and pulled up, yet defenders wrapping their arms around attackers at corners and free-kicks seems to be missed or ignored! Guess handball is flavour of the month!

I agree with Lineker's comment on MotD, that refs should only see pitch side replays at normal speed and not slow motion.

The handball rule should be so simple: if hitting the hand or arm changes the flight of the ball, regardless as to the position of the hand or arm or how close it is, then it is a free-kick, in the box a penalty, if it is deemed as deliberate then a red card in addition!

Fran Mitchell
49 Posted 27/09/2020 at 16:32:53
The rule should change, as simply having too many games decided by penalties will kill the game. We love football for the goals, not the panalties.

But, there is a reason – for years defenders would 'make themselves big' and the 'not intentional' rule would be applied. 'Intentional' is impossible to objectively decide, and invariably, when Carragher and Co would 'make themselves big' using their arms, it was not intentional.

So there is a valid justification for taking away the 'intentional' part. Now it comes down to the interpretation of 'unnatural' position. And it has led to some bizarre penalties in recent games.

Maybe a solution would be in-direct free-kicks rather than penalties for such handballs.

51 Posted 27/09/2020 at 16:34:03
Stan #39, must disagree. Diving, especially for penalties, is certainly an outrageous problem, but it's one that VAR has actually helped with. I've seen faked pens overturned by VAR and it always gives me great satisfaction. Dives are rarely deciding games these days.

On the other hand (pun intended), the bizarre handball rule is actually determining the outcome of a remarkable number of games so far this season.The law, and how refs must enforce it, could actually end up affecting the league table. And it's an easily rectifiable piece of idiocy.

Rob Hooton
52 Posted 27/09/2020 at 16:35:09
Brent, 32 - made me laugh that, you didn't used to sit in the centre circle in spring and make daisy chains, did you?
Brian Williams
53 Posted 27/09/2020 at 16:36:37
Amen to that, Tony, though for people like me who don't believe, then swearing on a book means nowt.
As an aside, what a goal just now from Mahrez!
54 Posted 27/09/2020 at 16:40:36
I'd love to be given a chance to change loads of these stupid laws, and I would start by using VAR to stamp out the obvious cheating.

A 30-minute sin-bin for diving in the box, and then an automatic two-match ban for the dirty cheats, would be my first decision.

I've got a few more to keep the game flowing because football is so much more enjoyable to watch when the game flows!

Stan Schofield
55 Posted 27/09/2020 at 16:41:59
Mike@51: Yes, VAR has helped re diving, agreed, but there is still a way to go. On the new handball rule, whether it's idiotic or not depends on your view. To me, it looks to enhance objectivity, which is good given my experience of the injustices that have resulted from subjective interpretation of whether a handball is or isn't intentional.

If you play for Liverpool, it's more likely to be ball-to-hand, but if you play for Everton it's more likely to be deliberate handball. If that kind of bias can be reduced, all the better. Only time will tell.

56 Posted 27/09/2020 at 16:43:23
Gotta admit I was wrong about Mahrez. I thought he was a show pony who would flop at City. He really is explosive.

Rob #44, Clive Thomas has been dead for about 43 years. Heart still beating but zero brain activity detected.

57 Posted 27/09/2020 at 16:47:25
Tony, try out your rule – it can be no worse than what we have.

Fran, nice post. I cited the action for handball and fouls inside the penalty area need clarification. For example: ‘Any action which results in a foul which is denial of a probable goal and or deprives the attacker of a goalscoring opportunity should result in a direct free-kick from the 18-yard line'. It reflects a foul has taken place but crucially also says the foul was not critical.

I've always asked why a foul committed in non-sensitive parts of the area get you a free shot with a near certainty of a goal.

As a working official, I've whinged since the inception of VAR, to which Mike Gaynes can attest to, what should be included and what shouldn't. Moreover, the laws are outdated and they needed adapting before being paired with technology.

58 Posted 27/09/2020 at 16:50:52
I think we need to distinguish between the current rule on handball penalties and the use of a second (video assistant) ref to determine whether an offence has been committed in the penalty area. Seems these are sometimes being conflated.
59 Posted 27/09/2020 at 16:51:27
Tony, sin bins are excellent tools to cut out poor behaviours.

Having three lads sat out whilst 8 of you have to defend concentrates your mind, because it directly affects the relationship with your teammates. It improves discipline, because things like diving, dissent towards officials, kicking the ball away, and time-wasting etc. are an absolute stain on the game.

Gerry Quinn
60 Posted 27/09/2020 at 16:53:15
Well done to the girls for humping money-bags Chelsea - now play Birmingham on Wednesday in Semi-Final.
61 Posted 27/09/2020 at 16:55:01
Rob #52 - no but I would often stand and admire the view of the hills.
62 Posted 27/09/2020 at 16:56:47
Fook, I hate listening to Jim Beglin on my feed.
63 Posted 27/09/2020 at 16:57:34
John P, dissent was the best part of my game.
64 Posted 27/09/2020 at 17:01:10
That's okay Mike, I'm sure you will appreciate the 10-minute bin to rest your legs.

I've always appreciated the fella who could wrap a scathing piece of dissent into a lovely, pithy one-liner.

65 Posted 27/09/2020 at 17:21:50
You've just passed the honesty test, Brian, 25 desperados the other fella owes you now, Mate!

Not like that Vardy would he have gone down if he was just outside the penalty area?

Brian Williams
66 Posted 27/09/2020 at 17:24:47
Tell him that, Tony! 😂
67 Posted 27/09/2020 at 17:25:57
You know he will only call me a liar and a cheat, Brian, I can't believe you sucked me in, mate!
Jay Wood
[BRZ]

68 Posted 27/09/2020 at 17:36:58
Ha! That Brian Williams still going on about his Desperados???!!!

On another thread he admitted it was his tipple of choice and that he had 'feelings'.

Reads like a non sequitur to me, that... ;-)

69 Posted 27/09/2020 at 17:38:29
Gerry... um... humping?
70 Posted 27/09/2020 at 17:40:12
Geez I feel old. Rory DeLap's 17-year-old kid just came on for Man City.
71 Posted 27/09/2020 at 17:44:50
What a ‘baller Vardy is.
72 Posted 27/09/2020 at 17:45:57
Man City 2-1 down and have now conceded a second penalty. Vardy converts.
Gerry Quinn
73 Posted 27/09/2020 at 18:01:17
Mike - 69 - very much a Scouse phrase, derived from thumping!
Rob Halligan
74 Posted 27/09/2020 at 18:05:14
City getting a pasting. Now 4-1.
75 Posted 27/09/2020 at 18:06:11
So when was the last time we saw City and Bayern both demolished 1-4 at home on the same day? Gotta be decades ago. Maybe never.

This is already an extraordinary season.

76 Posted 27/09/2020 at 18:09:15
Always wondered if Pep could rebuild a side. He’s also had a lot of problems with full backs.

But Leicester have executed perfectly.

77 Posted 27/09/2020 at 18:13:51
Another penalty to Leicester!
78 Posted 27/09/2020 at 18:15:04
Brainless defending all day from City.
79 Posted 27/09/2020 at 18:15:21
2-5. I like that scoreline!
Justin Clark
80 Posted 27/09/2020 at 18:15:52
Jamie Vardy looks like he could be Jonjoe Kenny's father.
81 Posted 27/09/2020 at 18:17:40
All very clear penalties, but can you picture Leicester being given all three in front of 60k screaming Man City supporters?

Different world.

Brian Williams
82 Posted 27/09/2020 at 18:18:07
Looks like Leicester actually practice going down in the box. For Vardy's second and Maddison's penalty they both lift their legs when they feel defender's slightest touch. Silly defending but dark arts attacking IMO.
Paul Tran
83 Posted 27/09/2020 at 18:19:12
Pep inherited Konpany. He can't replace him. Is building a back four his achilles heel?
84 Posted 27/09/2020 at 18:19:28
Brian, absolutely they do. Marginal gains.
Brian Williams
85 Posted 27/09/2020 at 18:21:23
Jay #68.

I think you'll find it was Tony A that brought up the Desperado's, as well you know. 😡

86 Posted 27/09/2020 at 18:21:24
Gotta disagree, Brian. Leicester definitely practice getting themselves in position to draw penalties, and they do it beautifully, but I didn't get even a sniff of a dive or easy falldown on any of those. Obvious, significant contact and clear pens that any professional forward would accept.
87 Posted 27/09/2020 at 18:21:31
PT. I've always felt one of the reasons Pep left after 3 years is to avoid the rebuild. Also, no matter how good you are, people always catch up.

Can the same group of players handle that level of intensity for more than 3 years?

88 Posted 27/09/2020 at 18:22:38
First time in Premier League history that one side scored three pens.
Brian Williams
89 Posted 27/09/2020 at 18:25:43
Mike #86.

I thought the same until I saw em, especially Madison's in slo-mo.

When you're leaned on or pushed from behind, you don't draw up your legs, they're outstretched normally because the upper body (being pushed) carries the momentum forward.

Lifting and drawing up the legs is a conscious decision, again IMO, to result in a more "obvious" tumble. Very subtle but it can be spotted in slo-mo.

Paul Tran
90 Posted 27/09/2020 at 18:26:20
Good point, John. Has he ever bought a defender at City that has worked out for him?
Paul Smith
91 Posted 27/09/2020 at 18:28:31
So many goals in the Premier League so far this season. Could it be no fans = no anxiety and translates into better execution of the game? This season could be exceptional in many ways.
Michael Lynch
92 Posted 27/09/2020 at 18:30:45
Paul @91 dunno mate - how does that explain all the defensive errors, like Man City giving away three stupid pens today? And I would assume managers don't change their tactics just cos no fans there?

I reckon it will settle down soon. Only thing that's really changed seems to be that there's no home advantage whatsoever.

Tom Bowers
93 Posted 27/09/2020 at 18:33:54
Some weird results so far this weekend. Chelski coming back from 3-0 down. Barcodes last minute penalty at Spurs. Bayern getting hammered by Hoffenheim and today's game at the Etihad. Dortmund getting whacked. Wow!

Man City relying too much on De Bruyne these days. I always thought they were a better side when David Silva played and Aguero but alas they got old as we all do.

94 Posted 27/09/2020 at 18:35:05
Brian, I saw Maddison take sharp contact on his leg as well, and of course you're always going to draw your leg up in that situation. I saw no chance he could have stayed on his feet, and obviously doing so would be a very foolish decision under the circumstances. If Calvert-Lewin took a contact like that and rode the tackle instead of accepting the penalty, we'd be furious.

For the US contingent, NBCSN beginning a conversation about the handball rule.

Paul Tran
95 Posted 27/09/2020 at 18:36:46
There are usually a few strange results at the start of the season. If you add a short gap between seasons and diminishing home advantage, it seems even more interesting this year.

I'll stick to my tried and trusted attitude of let's judge everything at Christmas when everyone's played each other at least once.

96 Posted 27/09/2020 at 18:53:58
No dives, Mike, which shows how much the game and opinion has changed imo, mate. First one was a dive, I know you think I'm funny, but once Vardy feels the touch, his options change immediately, because this is the way the game has now become.

Watch Oliver over the next few weeks, and if he stays consistent and keeps giving penalties for every similar incident that cropped up today, I will pay your air-fare, the next time you decide to come over here again Mike.

The right to go down is horrible, especially because it's getting openly encouraged by ex-players in the studio, who definitely should know better, or maybe I'm just getting to old.

I thought Liverpool got 3 pens at Old Trafford the minute Ferguson left, off there old friend Clattenberg Mike, maybe they missed one then?

Dan Nulty
97 Posted 27/09/2020 at 18:57:34
Leicester look good this season, really good balance to the side. Like us, heavily reliant on their striker remaining fit.
98 Posted 27/09/2020 at 19:06:30
Hey Tony...

I looked it up... Clatterpuss gave the RS two pens that day at Old Trafford.

I wouldn't accept your kind airfare offer, but I'm happy to wager a Guinness on it!

Geoff Lambert
100 Posted 27/09/2020 at 19:12:42
Yes, Dan, if we loose Richarlison, we are in big trouble.
Peter Neilson
101 Posted 27/09/2020 at 19:14:24
Blimey, Pep has spent over £500 million on defenders at Man City. Puts our spending and cock-ups in the shade.
102 Posted 27/09/2020 at 19:16:02
I will be buying you a few Guinness anyway, Mike, but I also checked it, mate, and he did give Liverpool three penalties that day, obviously because he loved Liverpool, and he always had it in for David Moyes.

Check again, they scored two and missed one, and if the sword is mightier than the pen (debatable), then the referee is definitely mightier than the centre-forward!

I'm shaking my head, I love the game of football, but I prefer to see skill with ability, rather than skill in deception, so I'm not talking about controversy no more.

Anthony Murphy
103 Posted 27/09/2020 at 19:20:21
Who will challenge the RS this season?
104 Posted 27/09/2020 at 19:23:01
Ah, okay Tony. Thanks.

Jarrod Bowen. A player I really wanted us to bid for last year.

Stan Schofield
105 Posted 27/09/2020 at 19:33:35
Maybe no fans in the stadiums means that match officials feel less intimidated, or not intimidated at all, which could produce decisions less biased towards the home team.
Stan Schofield
106 Posted 27/09/2020 at 20:38:37
Anthony@103: Everton
107 Posted 27/09/2020 at 20:59:34
Tony, ‘the right to go down’. Players felt for ages you had to be decapitated to get a penalty. Referee’s were, in general ‘no’ unless it was beyond doubt. See as a game changing event.

This is were the consequences should change. Today all three Leicester penalties were fouls, however not one was on the act of scoring or about to shoot. As you describe they decide to fall because it earns them a free shot at goal. How is that any sort of equivalency? If the penalty was a less favorable shot from 18yards then I bet they’d choose to stay up and shoot.

You aren’t going to change the behavior when the prize for doing it is so big, lessen the prize the behavior will change.

Patrick McFarlane
108 Posted 27/09/2020 at 21:11:16
A foul in the penalty area is a penalty, it matters not a jot if the player fouled was about to shoot, pick his nose, or was busy thinking about his summer holidays nor does it matter in which part of the area the foul occurred.

However, there is a growing number of players, well most of them actually who will go down at the slightest touch and this is having a corrosive effect on the game itself. Add the new rules for handball and there are going to be penalties galore this season.

Perhaps handball in its current guise should result in two penalty shots and only if both attempts were converted would a goal be given. I suspect that the betting companies are huge motivators in the way the game is officiated nowadays, every delay or controversial shout will attract many gamblers to try their luck and judgement resulting in increased profits for the bookmakers?

Stan Schofield
109 Posted 27/09/2020 at 21:20:25
John@108: Yes, it's making the game less attractive. Since Leicester won the league, I tend to view them as second to Liverpool in doing what is basically cheating in looking for a penalty or free kick at the least opportunity. Vardy is basically a cheat, in addition to an unpleasant character by constantly getting in the face of officials. It's all a long way from the old concept of 'gentlemanly conduct'.
110 Posted 27/09/2020 at 22:05:33
You put it better than me JP, and I remember Maddison, getting an Arsenal player sent off by feigning injury Stan, which has got to be as low as a player can go.
Stan Schofield
111 Posted 28/09/2020 at 09:15:02
Tony@111: I must admit, number 2 to the pleasure I get when Liverpool lose is the pleasure I get when Leicester lose. Leicester are a kind of ‘Liverpool lite’.
Ray Roche
112 Posted 28/09/2020 at 09:39:48
Stan, Gary Neville thought he was ‘brilliant ‘ and ‘clever ‘ the way he (Vardy) cheated to get a penalty. I hate that hatchet faced, cheating Albert Steptoe lookalike as much as any RS player. The only way I could dislike the obnoxious little shit more is if he signed for them.
And Leicester, the long ball kick and rush master. Dreadful outfit.
Stan Schofield
113 Posted 28/09/2020 at 09:48:08
Ray@112: I'm glad it's not just me. I can't stomach Leicester, especially Vardy. Gary Neville is also quite unlikeable.

The only pleasant thought I have about Leicester is beating them 7-1 in 1968.

Ray Roche
114 Posted 28/09/2020 at 12:40:41
Stan, I remember that day well, it was my 20th Birthday. Great day (and night!).
Dave Abrahams
115 Posted 28/09/2020 at 17:08:27
Ray (112), Albert Steptoe, they could be twins, brllliant!!!
116 Posted 28/09/2020 at 17:50:36
U23s play Derby at Southport tonight. Unfortunately no fans allowed. Derby are streaming the game. Free - just need to enrol.
Jamie Crowley
117 Posted 28/09/2020 at 20:05:44
Mane is on the juice. Those shoulders aren't naturally muscular like that. C'mon the Arse!
Eugene McLoughlin
118 Posted 28/09/2020 at 20:33:33
Mane should've been red-carded!!!!
Jamie Crowley
119 Posted 28/09/2020 at 20:40:43
Eugene - his arm was up, but he was looking at the ball and it's not like he punched him or anything. I think it was a yellow.
Dave Abrahams
120 Posted 28/09/2020 at 21:01:17
Arsenal are all over the place, passing the ball to Liverpool as much their own players. Willian at fault for Liverpool's second goal, not tracking back. Arsenal hardly attacked and were lucky with their goal.

I hate to say it but Liverpool must be the fittest team in the league. I can't see Arsenal getting anything from this game unless they change their tactics and shape up. They don't look like they are expecting anything from this game either.

Andy Crooks
121 Posted 28/09/2020 at 21:33:41
Brian and Mike, I think Leicester do draw penalties and Vardy is the first player I have ever seen who should have it on hIs CV. Bellamy was and looked like a cheat. Vardy looks wronged.

He is not, strictly speaking, fouled, nor does he dive but he gets penalties. I don't care for him much but think he is one of the most underrated players of the Premier League era. There is something so utterly, fucking hateful about him that can only be admired.

Brian Williams
122 Posted 28/09/2020 at 21:40:54

Andy that is poetic mate.

Kieran Kinsella
123 Posted 28/09/2020 at 21:45:37
Andy Crooks,

Was it Bellamy who Darren Huckerby whose dive sent Materazzi into meltdown?

Fran Mitchell
124 Posted 28/09/2020 at 21:56:47
Horrible to say, but Liverpool are on another level to the rest of the League.

Look how City collapsed at Leicester, this Liverpool would never do that.

Can't wait for the Derby, but it will take some performance.

Of course, if Lacazette didn't fluff his lines, maybe a different result would have happened. But it will take something to beat them.

Craig Walker
125 Posted 28/09/2020 at 21:59:25
Don’t understand teams playing triangles in their own box especially when they’re losing and chasing the game. Every time Arsenal did it, they invited RS onto them, panicked and hoofed it straight back to them. It’s madness!
Phil Greenough
126 Posted 28/09/2020 at 22:00:14
Can I ask, lads, why the shite are above us in the league? We're on equal goal difference and we are alphabetically before them. Why have the BBC got them above us???
Gerry Morrison
127 Posted 28/09/2020 at 22:02:13
Goals scored.
Craig Walker
128 Posted 28/09/2020 at 22:03:06
They’ve scored more.
Steve Guy
129 Posted 28/09/2020 at 22:04:37
We are joint top.
Colin Metcalfe
130 Posted 28/09/2020 at 22:05:03
It's certainly going to be interesting derby, question is how will Carlo set up against Liverpool?

Sit back and hope to catch them on the break or try to take the game to them like Leeds did?

Carlo's Napoli nullified their threat and were fairly comfortable in both games so he knows how to play against them but do we have the personnel?

131 Posted 28/09/2020 at 22:07:20
Agree that Liverpool are very fast and physical when they play on the front foot, so on that basis Arsenal played right into their hands.

I see loads of little chinks in their system, but they do bully teams, and listening to their manager speak now, it’s obvious bully’s hate being put on the back foot.

Kieran Kinsella
132 Posted 28/09/2020 at 22:08:20
If we beat Brighton we will be top for at least 24 hours.
Tom Bowers
133 Posted 28/09/2020 at 22:18:32
Nothing new here. The usual fairy tales at Analfield with Jota scoring on his debut. Never fails. Arsenal, still rebuilding but with Luiz and Holding in the middle are just not good enough and really Arteta lost the game before the start. He has some decent youngsters and needs to play them. Early days yet.
Kieran Kinsella
134 Posted 28/09/2020 at 22:19:48
Colin based on our last game I wouldn’t sit back. Too much opportunity for careless fouls around the box.
Will Mabon
135 Posted 28/09/2020 at 22:23:35
Not so one sided overall. Arsenal spurned several very good chances, could easily have ended a draw with better finishing.
136 Posted 28/09/2020 at 22:25:26
It’s all about sustainability really Kieran, because if Everton can replicate the first 25 minutes on Saturday, for a longer period, I can see them beating any team, and it’s a very long time since I could say that with real belief.

The next game is always the most important game, especially if it can get us into the last eight of a cup competition, so let’s see what kind of team Ancelotti picks on Wednesday night because it won’t be an easy game.

Matt Traynor
137 Posted 28/09/2020 at 22:25:51
As much as it pains me to say it, they are a very good side, under Conrad Pooh's (and his dancing teeth) twin brother.

And the media love them / him.

But they are not invincible. They are get-attable (not a word I know) if you approach with the right mentality.

But for too long, teams, no better exemplified by our own, have been beaten before they turn up.

Someone above mentioned a "bullying" mentality – and that's it. Stand up to them and they'll collapse, or you'll lose but with some pride. When did we last lose with pride to that lot?

Jay Harris
138 Posted 28/09/2020 at 22:37:47
I'm still wondering why Arteta dropped Gabriel for the game.

I thought Arsenal were a shambles today and Leeds played much better than them against the devil's spawn.

Kieran Kinsella
139 Posted 28/09/2020 at 22:40:23
Tony

I am upset WHU beat Wolves because had they lost I suspect Moyes would have played a B team and focused on the relegation battle. He’s actually got WHU playing pretty well. Soucek much like Cahill at Everton and lots of industrious players with a little bit of flair

Phil Greenough
140 Posted 28/09/2020 at 22:42:12
Thanks, lads, just checked the full table.
Christine Foster
141 Posted 28/09/2020 at 23:38:17
Watched the second half of the Arsenal game, a couple of points..

The RS pressed high and Arsenal would try and hit them on the break, when they did the RS were vulnerable and a couple of one on ones should have given at least a share of the points. This is were Everton can get at them. Defensively the RS are weak in midfield, they move it around quickly because the opposition give them space to do so (Leeds didn't but weren't good enough to finish them) The through ball kills them. James R please note.

The Blues will need to close them down in the middle of the park and press high with their own full-backs to keep the crosses from coming in. Our weakness is if they get through the centre of the park they have the two centre backs to face (even I can tip-toe around) We cannot let them attack them. (I wish we could play a sweeper)

They are vulnerable at the back, not at good as us in midfield but get too much respect up front. To me, Mane is their danger man, is fast and can turn on a sixpence to hurt you. But, apart from that, it's all about stopping building up a pressing rhythm, that's the battle of midfield. We can do this.

142 Posted 29/09/2020 at 00:21:38
Jay, I suspect Luiz played to utilize his long passing range and as Christine describes to enable them to counter as they pressed high.
Derek Thomas
143 Posted 29/09/2020 at 01:03:37
Andy @121; yet 3yrs(?) ago post Lukaku, some said he was too old to make it worth our while buying him.
Geoff Lambert
144 Posted 29/09/2020 at 02:28:02
Derek, Probably the same posters who where saying the three new players where all to old, to slow, from a relegated team, No sell on value etc.
Stan Schofield
145 Posted 29/09/2020 at 09:39:05
Christine@141: Agree totally. Their midfield hasn't been their strong point for some time, hence quick balls from defence to attack, pretty much in their traditional workmanlike style since the days of Shankley. Klopp's 'gegenpressing' and focus on stamina has been ideal for that style.

Arguably, our midfield is one of the best around at the moment, perhaps the best, and certainly the most entertaining and reminiscent (to me) of the late-60s Everton. We could take Liverpool apart in midfield, with some style.

As usual, the media, especially the BBC are fawning over them and glossing over any potential weaknesses.

Their overall culture never seems to change. Last night, there were messages from reds telling us how great they are and how everyone else is crap. Even when they won the league I had messages from some of them telling me Everton were shite. I had to tell them to focus on themselves rather than Everton, because it'd taken them an awfully long time to finally win the PL and they should savour it while they can. They're like dysfunctional spoilt kids.

Dave Abrahams
146 Posted 29/09/2020 at 10:03:33
Christine (141), lots of sense in your post, but the weakness In Everton’s centre backs, which you highlight, doesn’t bare thinking about, come on Carlo and Mr. Brands get a good one in before the window shuts along with a fast tenacious winger, like the one Moyes bought in January for WHU.