Plenty of Everton players are traveling with their national teams over the International break, with Tom Davies the first in action for England U21s in a 3-3 draw with Andorra.

Pickford dropped

As many expected, Gareth Southgate hs dropped Jordan Pickford for England's game against Wales on Thursday night.

Richarlison returns to training

The Brazilian team doctor has declared that Richarlison is fit enough to resume training.

Digne helps France to 7-1 win

Lucas Digne earned his 32nd cap for France as the world champions thumped Ukraine 7-1 in their friendly in Paris.

Reader Comments (25)

Jay Wood
[BRZ]

1 Posted 07/10/2020 at 16:47:44
Well, one game featuring International Blues already done and dusted, and something of a surprise result:

Andorra U-21 3 England U-21 3

Tom Davies again skippered the side and scored England's first goal. Ben Godfrey was an unused sub and didn't see any action.

Jerome Shields
2 Posted 08/10/2020 at 00:13:38
Pickford dropped by Southgate.
Geoff Lambert
3 Posted 08/10/2020 at 00:52:47
Jerome, Do you mean Pickford has dropped Southgate?
Mike Benjamin
4 Posted 08/10/2020 at 08:16:41
I certainly worry about Richarlison going to Brazil and the Colombian lads going to Columbia and Chile.
Barry Rathbone
5 Posted 08/10/2020 at 11:20:03
Southgate always has one eye on public opinion I doubt the terror expressed by supporters up and down the land over Pickford's inclusion escaped him.

I wrote the other day he is finished in the top flight and Southgate throwing him under the bus just advances my prediction of a move to Hartlepool sooner rather than later

Geoff Lambert
6 Posted 08/10/2020 at 11:28:44
Not good for us – probably just knocked £10 million off his sale price.
Brian Harrison
7 Posted 08/10/2020 at 11:42:54
I read Southgates comments and he said that if you don't use the other goalkeepers in the squad then that's unfair on them, which seems quite sensible. He also said that he had noted that Pickford had made a few mistakes of late, but also said so had Pope. He also said that Pickford had always played well for him and he takes that into consideration.

So while not in the team to play Wales I think he will be in the game next week. So I don't think Southgate has thrown him under a bus, he is giving Pickfords understudy have some international game time. Now Whether that becomes permanent then that will largely depend on how both do in these respective games, and how their form is between now and the next international. Maybe it will benefit Jordan to know he isn't an automatic choice.

Eddie Dunn
8 Posted 08/10/2020 at 11:43:35
It's only a friendly so there is every chance that Jordan will be recalled for the real thing. Southgate has been loyal so far.
Ernie Baywood
9 Posted 08/10/2020 at 11:50:09
Disappointed. I was hoping he'd get some confidence in a couple of games. Let's hope he plays the next one.

If we get to the Derby and Pickford is off the back of the Brighton debacle and then being dropped by England I'll be feeling pretty uncomfortable.

Steve Ferns
10 Posted 08/10/2020 at 12:35:22
I think Southgate is in a tough position with the keeper. Pickford needs dropping for sure, but Pope has been poor for a long time. The spotlight is never on him, not unless he has a blinder. But right now he's making plenty of mistakes himself. Dean Henderson is not playing. He's not appeared in the league and has only played Carabao Cup games.

The England keeper cannot be a sub for his club, especially behind the equally hapless De Gea, who has been in sharp decline for a long time. If I was Southgate, I wouldn't have picked Henderson and would have put pressure on him to get first-team football.

The other contenders are Tom Heaton (injured), Aaron Ramsdale (who's had one season so far where he was relegated with Bournemouth) or perhaps Alex McCarthy of Southampton, whose quality is questionable to say the least.

Patrick McFarlane
11 Posted 08/10/2020 at 13:04:12
Steve #10,

Given the alternatives that you have listed and the reasons why they are not in a position to challenge Pickford, why does Jordan need dropping for sure?

I realise that Jordan hasn't done himself any favours in recent times, but if he's the best of a bad bunch, he has to be picked, maybe not for the friendly with Wales but for competitive games definitely.

Steve Ferns
12 Posted 08/10/2020 at 13:08:03
Patrick, I agree with you. I mean that on his form, you have to consider dropping him. But then when you look around, there's no one to do it with.

I suspect that Southgate will go with the Man Utd reserve keeper. No doubt he will keep a clean sheet against a Welsh side missing it's best players, and then the clamour will be for Henderson to remain in the position. But quite how a reserve can be a starter for England is beyond me.

It used to annoy me that players on Man Utd's subs bench under Ferguson used to have 50 odd caps, such as our own Phil Neville. I think it's much worse with a keeper who needs to be playing regularly to be sharp.

Stephen Brown
13 Posted 08/10/2020 at 13:46:29
I'm dreading these internationals!

Just hope all our lads, especially the key players, stay fit!

Barry Rathbone
14 Posted 08/10/2020 at 14:04:17
I think Southgate is a coward.

His banning of fringe players for mis conduct begs the question would he have done the same with Harry Kane or Raheem Sterling in similar circumstances – I think not.

A body of opinion exists that Pickford needs his confidence restored (I don't agree) but, if correct, Southgate should have stood by a keeper who has never let him down not resort to weaseling to excuse his bullshit.

A player should be rested at the peak of their form if experimentation is the order of the day not at their lowest ebb.

Pickford has been thrown under the bus today by a cowardly shithouse.

John Kavanagh
15 Posted 08/10/2020 at 23:49:35
Barry, he was thrown at the bus, but it went under him.

(The old ones are best ones ;-) )

Kieran Kinsella
16 Posted 09/10/2020 at 00:59:26
Barry Rathbone,

You're wrong, mate. Do a little more detective work, like your cousin Basil. Southgate did drop Sterling from the squad when he stepped out of line with Gomez.

Boring? Yes. Shit at penalties? Yes. Questionable taste in waistcoats? Yes. Coward? No.

Dennis Ng
17 Posted 09/10/2020 at 01:21:15
Not sure I would read too much into the team selection for a friendly (other than "fringe" players not getting the chance to try). What's wrong with trying out a keeper in a friendly?

However, I think Southgate has brought respectable results so far, and I really doubt that is done with a lack of courage, or wits.

Don Alexander
18 Posted 09/10/2020 at 01:25:27
Well said, Kieran (#16). Southgate is a safe bet for the FA but might just emerge after his wealth of managerial experience as a top class international manager.
Bill Gienapp
19 Posted 09/10/2020 at 03:17:17
Was Pickford actually dropped? It seemed as if Southgate was just playing his B-team, so I have no idea.
Jack Convery
20 Posted 09/10/2020 at 11:42:31
Pickford will play the next two games for England. Hopefully he will not make a mistake otherwise Carlo will have a big decision to make come the derby. Pickford needs to have a good 10 games under his belt with no cock-ups... can he do it?

Only time will tell... but if he wants to continue being our No 1 and part of what is happening at Goodison he needs to knuckle down, concentrate and produce his best ever form. I hope he does because if he does we will have a great chance of finishing in the top 4.

Jay Wood
[BRZ]

21 Posted 10/10/2020 at 01:31:55
Colombia cruising at half-time, 3-0 up v Venezuela. Neither Mina nor James on the scoresheet.

Brazil about to KO v Bolivia. As expected, Richy nowhere near the team. Forward line of Neymar-Firmino-Everton.

Geoff Lambert
22 Posted 10/10/2020 at 02:12:01
James off thank god he was getting a bit of a kicking.
Jay Wood
[BRZ]

23 Posted 10/10/2020 at 03:06:30
Richy just come on for Firmino with 25 minutes to go and playing (nominally) centre forward. Brazil cruising 4-0.
Jay Wood
[BRZ]

24 Posted 10/10/2020 at 03:28:08
5-0 to Brazil.

Happy to report Richy hardly got a touch and didn't have to deal with any heavy physical stuff.

Bolivia are really poor.

Phil Sammon
25 Posted 10/10/2020 at 04:35:58
Did you see Arias break his leg, Jay? It was absolutely awful. Weirdly the commentator we had for Bein Sports in Australia didn’t even seem to notice. His leg was facing the wrong way and the commentator was talking like there was a chance he could play on!