I was reading Cavani has to go into quarantine for 14 days because he's coming from France, and was wondering why players returning from international duty are exempt.

It's like they are making it up as they go along... but I think it's only a matter of time before there is an explosion of Covid-19 cases throughout every single industry that continues to operate.

Can we cope? The numbers suggest they are just going to press ahead without a full lockdown, so to everyone in the high-risk category, stay safe, and to everyone else – fasten your seatbelt and stay sensible, because there is definitely something in the air right now.

Reader Comments (42)

Andrew Ellams
1 Posted 08/10/2020 at 08:29:34
I thought all elite international sportspeople were on the (very long) quarantine exemption list.

Geoff Trenner
2 Posted 08/10/2020 at 09:04:37
Tony, my understanding is that, because Cavani has not been in a club ‘bubble', he is not covered by the elite sportsman exemption.
Brian Cleveland
3 Posted 09/10/2020 at 06:22:34
I know I'm arriving late to the party but, like some of the early posters, I also wondered about the quarantine rules. I thought this when Bale and his mate came waltzing into England and Spurs from Madrid, one of the hardest-hit places, without a problem. Why was that?

You wouldn't believe the problems I'm having trying to get back to the UK from Colombia... I was thinking of thumbing a lift from James and Yerry, but I think they're leaving from Chile!

Geoff Trenner
4 Posted 09/10/2020 at 07:16:55
Brian, there is an exemption for elite athletes as long as they have been part of a bubble.

Cavani, for example, was not covered by this because he had not been in a club bubble.

Jeff Armstrong
5 Posted 09/10/2020 at 21:58:25
Geoff, 2.

Elite athletes?., . Covid bubbles...? What a load of guff, another case of money talks, wonder why us minutiae get wound up by these “rules”.
Some people are more equal than others!

Derek Knox
6 Posted 10/10/2020 at 03:44:22
Jeff @5 and others, I think we are all being led in a somewhat confused dance, where the fiddler doesn't even know the tune. We are being misled like lambs to wherever.

I have recently been in Hospital as many will be aware of, I spent 5 days there and although still not being right, was discharged as they needed the beds for more serious cases and Covid-19.

I was tested twice and showed no signs, but you may be saying what point am I trying to make here? Well even though you are tested and proved clear it doesn't necessarily mean that you will NEVER catch it, days later or even at a later date!

At no point was I ever asked for my phone number, and being released from an establishment, where I was moved internally three times, where there were Covid-19 cases.

Where was the Track and Trace system there, that the Government is repeatedly telling is so efficient, and at a massive cost to us all?

Derek Knox
7 Posted 10/10/2020 at 04:25:06
I posted too early there but meant to add that it was NEVER suggested that I self-isolate for any period at all.
Mike Gaynes
8 Posted 10/10/2020 at 04:48:22
DK, you're lucky. People have been asking me to self-isolate for years now.
Eric Myles
9 Posted 10/10/2020 at 05:35:05
Derek #7, presumably they already have all your details since you were admitted as a patient.
Derek Knox
10 Posted 10/10/2020 at 11:14:19
Eric @8, while I appreciate they have my details on record, I can't recall them having my Mobile Number. Besides people for various reasons often change their Mobile numbers, so you would have thought they would have asked for confirmation.

I see Trump, like Boris Johnson has had a very miraculous cure from Coronavirus and is back up and running in no time at all (what Superheroes!) where's that vomit bucket?

Jay Woods
11 Posted 11/10/2020 at 03:31:15
Derek, catch yourself on mate. According to the CDC in the US, it has a lower lethality than the seasonal flu, so it's only being used as part of the Agenda 21 / Agenda 2030 push from the globalists to get everyone vaccinated complete with the self-admitted eugenicist, Bill Gates', "digital certificates" payload that he was babbling on about back in the early summer.

The restrictions started out as "flatten the curve", now it's flatten the economy and before its over, it will be flatten the world's population as part of the World Economic Forum's "Great Reset" they're describing this crisis as. To sociopaths like Gates, we're just "reckless breeders" and "worthless eaters" that have to be culled to "save the planet". Burn the stupid masks and stop believing very word that comes from authority on this before you waken up with zero liberties left and zero future for your posterity.

Jay Wood
[BRZ]

12 Posted 11/10/2020 at 03:39:05
Mind boggling.
Si Cooper
13 Posted 11/10/2020 at 08:16:25
Derek, if you were tested and found not to have the virus why would they advise you to self-isolate or want to be able to contact you later on? Do you mean you expected to be asked to become ‘shielded' because you are in an at-risk group? I think that conversation / decision is supposed to be via your GP.

The hospitals and the various football squads are probably the safest places to be at the moment regarding getting Covid-19. They know, because everyone gets tested, who has had it, has it, and who is clear. The rest of us are completely in the dark as to who might pose a risk of infecting us because testing is so limited and reliant on personal responsibility.

I think Jay Woods is hooked on whatever nonsense Putin is seeding the internet with, and is amongst those who consistently fail to understand that what separates this virus from flu, in terms of its ability to wreak havoc, is the fact that the vast majority of the population wouldn't generally catch the flu but are likely to contract Covid-19, and could then easily spread it without ever knowing it.

Geoff Trenner
15 Posted 11/10/2020 at 09:47:28
Jeff @5. I don’t make the rules, just explaining why players going overseas on international duty don’t have to quarantine.
Geoff Trenner
16 Posted 11/10/2020 at 09:52:45
Jay @11. I have a job lot of aluminium foil hats going cheap. You, my friend, are in dire need!
Teddy Bertin
17 Posted 12/10/2020 at 01:34:34
Jay @611can you not waste everyone's time on here? You're of the same breed of the conspiracy theorists that have popped up during every epidemic in history.

You would have been spouting the rubbish in 1890 that the flu was being caused by people in installing lightbulbs or in 1918 that it was a secret German weapon or caused by Transatlantic copper wires.

You're combining a fear of technology and change with confusion about how your life has suddenly shifted beyond your frames of reference.

World leaders aren't anywhere near organised or intelligent enough to pull these ideas off let alone have the motivation to go through decades of secrecy and planning for a long term gain of being able to monitor you while you go between Morrison's and the pub.

The world is a chaos of intentions and reactions. That's it. Sorry mate.

Your version is more fun and easier to understand but it's also embarrassing.

Gerry Morrison
18 Posted 12/10/2020 at 02:15:37
Jay Wood. For a moment I thought that the comment at 11 was from you. I thought you had been hit on the head or something. Relieved to see that it was just some crackpot with a similar name.
Mike Gaynes
19 Posted 12/10/2020 at 02:50:47
Gerry... Jay Woods is an irregular visitor to TW -- and I use the word "irregular" in both senses of the word.

Bill Watson
20 Posted 12/10/2020 at 00:02:16
Jay # 11

You appear to be a conspiracy theorist who reckons Covid19 is a hoax and Bill Gates is attempting to track us all via micro chips in inoculations. (No need to go to all that expense, Bill. Just log in to social media sites like Facebook, Twitter and ToffeeWeb etc. It's all there!).

Bobby Mallon
21 Posted 13/10/2020 at 20:15:31
Jay @11 you keep on posting your theory's mate. Others on here get off his back his opinion is just as valid as the bloke who posted before and after get off his case.
Kieran Kinsella
22 Posted 13/10/2020 at 20:23:38
LMAO: "sociopaths like Gates" – That made me laugh out loud, Jay Wood... not sure that was your intention but thanking you for the chuckle.
Brian Williams
23 Posted 13/10/2020 at 20:31:04
If someone's opinion is just as valid as anyone else's, then surely those people's opinions on his opinion are valid too?
Kieran Kinsella
24 Posted 13/10/2020 at 20:38:25
If Jay Wood is right though, Clubs are going to struggle to fill stadiums with most of the population exterminated. If they're forward thinking, they should look at a streamlined league, no more than 18 clubs or so.
Danny Baily
25 Posted 13/10/2020 at 20:43:15
Bill Gates is clearly the architect of project big picture. Wake up people!
Chris Leyland
26 Posted 13/10/2020 at 20:49:15
Bobby - no one needs to get off Jay's back. If anyone wants to post their theories or opinions on here, then they should be prepared to be called out and challenged for them.

This forum would be very boring if we all didn't challenge what everyone else said on it. It would in many ways defeat the purpose of having it.

But then again, my theory is that ToffeeWeb doesn't really exist as it's actually a global conspiracy by Bill Kenwright to get everyone secretly monitored so that he can spend the Arteta money on lawnmowers.

Peter Neilson
27 Posted 13/10/2020 at 20:56:18
“According to the CDC in the US, it has a lower lethality than the seasonal flu.” This is incorrect, IFR varies across age groups and locations but the CDC current estimate is that Covid is 5 to 6 times more lethal. Way down on what they estimated earlier in the year but not lower than flu. In England the lowest IFR appears to be 3 times that of flu but again it varies across age and locations.
Will Mabon
28 Posted 13/10/2020 at 21:07:32
Geoff Trenner;

You misquoted the standard put down. It's "Tin foil Hat".

Is that all you have to refute what Jay says? Ever spent some time researching Gates' background? His history with vaccine trials in other countries? His patents relating to vaccines?

Of course you haven't. Easier to just mock like a schoolkid. At least dispute what he says with something you've actually studied.

Will Mabon
29 Posted 13/10/2020 at 21:36:22
"It's reassuring to know that if any of us do get the bug people like yourself will, hopefully, man the Covid wards as you naturally wouldn't fear a non existent virus with the added bonus that you wouldn't need protective PPE."

No need, Bill. There are several hundred thousand taxi drivers who may be willing to help, now that their living has been all but destroyed, along with many others.

Whilst everyone was mostly shacked up in their houses during lock down, queuing outside shops, 2m apart in terror, taxi drivers all over the country were running around the "Heroes" for months on end (Many on a social justice, guilt-enforced reduced rate, I might add).

Nurses, doctors, cleaning staff, auxiliaries etc. The very people working at the coalface of this deadly contagion - all in the enclosed space of a car, all pre-mask phase. And of course, running around unknowing other members of the community in between. Countless millions of journeys.

Strangely, they seem OK. Apart from being broke, that is. But hey, don't spread it around. It kind of drives a coach and horses through the whole social distancing thing.

Bobby Mallon
30 Posted 13/10/2020 at 21:41:50
Chris leyland stop using 5 G that’s all’s I’ll say
Brian Williams
31 Posted 13/10/2020 at 21:46:52
Strangely they seem ok......are these the same taxi drivers who's deaths due to Covid are among the highest of any job?
Will Mabon
32 Posted 13/10/2020 at 21:54:35
You can believe that if you wish, Brian. I know where you heard it.

Odd isn't it. Taxi drivers never mentioned for months in the media, right through the lock down and later. Not told to stop, not told to continue as "Key workers"... just - not mentioned. All while running around the NHS.

Of course, they're finally mentioned now. Now is phase two, when all must wear masks. I have an involvement in the game. Hundreds of drivers. No-one dead, no-one's got it.

Phil Greenough
33 Posted 13/10/2020 at 22:01:42
If you want to challenge someone's opinion, you don't do it by mocking them. Usual mob mentality toward someone having an opinion different to the masses, I was waiting for the inevitable tin hat quote.

Working as a mental health nurse, I'm sick to death of people making fun of mentally unwell people, the tin hat jibe is usually the first out of their stupid mouths. When you challenge them about their behaviour, they respond with 'It's only a joke, I'm only having a laugh.'

Will Mabon
34 Posted 13/10/2020 at 22:11:51
"Working as a mental health nurse, I'm sick to death of people making fun of mentally unwell people, the tin hat jibe is usually the first out of their stupid mouths. When you challenge them about their behaviour, they respond with 'It's only a joke, I'm only having a laugh."

That paragraph can be read in more than one way, Phil.

Joe McMahon
35 Posted 13/10/2020 at 22:17:10
Phil, I spent 6 years working for a mental health trust, and I see nothing wrong with a tin hat comment.

Does it just not mean, I'm differing to the majority opinion and prepared to be challenged or questioned as I believe in what I say?

Phil Greenough
36 Posted 13/10/2020 at 22:21:59
Thanks for your input, Will. The thrust of my text, was to demonstrate that uneducated people who do not understand, or haven't the capacity to present a different opinion, usually use derogatory or sarcastic language to hide their lack of intelligence or empathy. Which, in the mental health environment, happens far too often.
Will Mabon
37 Posted 13/10/2020 at 22:29:31
I hear you, Phil, agreed.

Joe:

But then where does it go? One side calls the other for tin foil hats, they respond with "Dumb sheep".

The truth, the facts, research, discussion, opinions - great. The names are playground stuff, and are all that many have to offer.

Phil Greenough
38 Posted 13/10/2020 at 22:34:30
Joe, I've worked in mental health for 18 years and the tin foil hat comment has only one connotation, in my opinion. Although I realise now, that I omitted it in my original post. Apologies, I better put my tin hat on in case I get any more flak. 😁
Chris Leyland
39 Posted 13/10/2020 at 23:09:57
Will - Are you saying that the virus doesn’t exist? That’s it’s all made up?
Brent Stephens
40 Posted 13/10/2020 at 23:14:07
BBC: “Taxi drivers have among the highest death rate of coronavirus in the UK, figures show. Along with security guards, they are more likely to die with Covid-19 than any other occupation.”
Will Mabon
41 Posted 13/10/2020 at 23:38:17
Brent:

Read my post number 32, and if you accept that it is real world experience, you may be able to guess what I think of figures provided from "Regular" sources. The root source for figures is all the same, no independent investigation is being done.

Do you believe the government could somehow overlook the overt risk to the whole taxi and private hire industry for months on end, as they ran around the very NHS staff being applauded for standing in harm's way?

I know of not one driver in a network of hundreds to have been unwell at all. No deaths. Not even rumours, and there is a very energetic rumour network around most industry issues.

Now I have no doubt that drivers have died during the period, that is sadly, the normal way of things.

Will Mabon
42 Posted 13/10/2020 at 23:50:15
Chris, you can probably deduce my general thoughts from my posts so far. I don't want to get into a huge ongoing debate (I believe there was one on here earlier in the year; I was off the site for a time and haven't seen it).

I will simply say I have seen or heard nothing with my own eyes and ears in the normal course of my life for eight months that aligns with what we are being told. I do hear the huge nonsensical contradictions, figures, rules, "Laws" and advice that defy logic.

Don Alexander
43 Posted 14/10/2020 at 00:52:54
Aged 65 as I am, I recall the 1968-69 Asian flu epidemic that claimed c 80,000 UK lives. There was no lockdown, furloughs, school closures or anything else. The population just got on with normal life, aside from those who died, and those close to them, obviously.

The Labour government did not incept a policy that was guaranteed to crucify the national economy for years to come whilst at the very same time showing the UK population and anyone else interested that their "control" of the virus was just about the worst in the world.

And now we're on the verge of having to trust the very same lazy lying wanker of a Prime Minister to deliver prosperity to us all (to that extent, he reminds me of Kenwright in charge of us – come on folks, you know I'd find a way to involve him!) when we're finally adrift of the EU, the neighbours who across the entire continent have done way better than us re Covid-19.

You couldn't make it up.