Reader Comments (27)

Kieran Kinsella
1 Posted 07/11/2020 at 21:58:09
Lookman showing why we sold him. Worst penalty ever!
Eddie Dunn
2 Posted 08/11/2020 at 08:58:49
West Ham were shooting from outside the box and the Fulham keeper made some super saves,- oh how I vaguely remember Everton shots from outside the box!
Eddie Dunn
3 Posted 08/11/2020 at 08:58:50
Dave Abrahams
4 Posted 08/11/2020 at 17:05:59
Another penalty for Liverpool and Salah, equalised by a Jesus goal on the half hour.
Brian Williams
5 Posted 08/11/2020 at 17:09:45
Dave#4.
Dave, you've had contact tougher than that "penalty" on the way to the bar and not gone down. 🤣
Dave Abrahams
6 Posted 08/11/2020 at 19:12:52
Brian (5), I don't often get close to the bar, to be honest!!
Tony Abrahams
7 Posted 08/11/2020 at 19:56:23
I've just watched Man City play Liverpool, and although we are going through a bad time now, I genuinely feel we could beat either of these teams, if we've got our best eleven, playing in a system that helps our team, more than it just helps, trying to cover and protect James Rodriguez?

Maybe I'm nuts and can't see with my blue tinted glasses on, but it's still my belief, I just hope Ancelotti and his players can prove it!

George Freeman
8 Posted 08/11/2020 at 20:43:05
Just read this comment on Sky Sports commentary on Arsenal v Villa. Barkley absolutely ran the show here as an Everton player during the 2013-14 season. He likes playing at the Emirates and he is the standout performer so far.
Tony Hill
9 Posted 08/11/2020 at 20:53:34
There's the difference: Villa have two poor results but go to Arsenal and wipe the floor with them, playing vibrant, brave football. Imagine us doing that, ever? No.
George Freeman
10 Posted 08/11/2020 at 20:55:47
Calvert-Lewin would love this kind of service. Douglas Luiz pings it to Barkley on the left. It's unbelievable first-time volleyed cross by Barkley and Ollie Watkins is perfectly placed to head home!
Jim Bennings
11 Posted 08/11/2020 at 20:58:16
Aston Villa showing how you bounce back from disappointing results by banging Arsenal up.
Richard Mason
12 Posted 08/11/2020 at 22:17:37
I know Sheffield Utd have been terrible, but Sander Berge in centre-mid for them has really stood out for me.

Very direct bursts forward, busy player all over the pitch.

Anyone seen him play??

Andy Crooks
13 Posted 09/11/2020 at 13:44:57
Don't know what thread to put this on but I'm trying to sign up again as a patron but having no success. Can anyone help?
Patrick McFarlane
14 Posted 09/11/2020 at 14:05:09
Andy #13
Try the link below. If that fails go to the menu at the top of TW front page choose 'Site' and that should take you to where you wish to go.

Link

Jim Bennings
15 Posted 09/11/2020 at 14:25:19
George 8

I remember the game well, it's was just four days after we ended the Old Trafford hoodoo, times were really positive under Martinez and probably the only time in recent years when I've felt like I was watching a completely new style Everton that feared no reputation of others.

There was never any doubts over Barkley in terms of talent, he always had immense talent but it was decision making that held him up, fair play he looks likes exactly the type of midfield player we are crying out for right now which is maddening.

Rob Halligan
16 Posted 09/11/2020 at 15:12:01
Jim, Barkley is only on loan at villa, but do they have an option to buy at the end of the season? If Chelsea are going to make him available then we should be right in there at the front of the queue to buy him back. The only problem being it would probably cost us double or more, what Chelsea ripped us off for. He was definitely a player I wanted to remain at Goodison, and deep down I think he wanted to remain.
Jim Bennings
17 Posted 09/11/2020 at 15:46:50
Rob

I'm not sure what the situation is regarding whether Barkley may leave full time and even whether he would go permanently to Villa or he's just using it as a chance to get back in the Chelsea side.

If Barkley carries on having a good season at Villa I'd imagine his fee will go up next year anyway.

I'm not going to lie, I'd like him back, we have a world class player in James but he's not the type that will carry the ball and run with it, we don't possess that kind of player at the club.

Sometimes even we as fans get too obsessed with these midfield ball-winners instead of actual creative attacking players.

Mike Doyle
18 Posted 09/11/2020 at 16:00:16
Tony 7] I only caught the last half hour of the City - Liverpool game. What struck me was, while playing our from the back, how quickly they got the ball to a wide player - usually Bernardo Silva - in an advanced position.
In contrast we seem to pass it around at the back for ages before eventually losing possession through sloppy passing.
John Pierce
19 Posted 09/11/2020 at 16:27:42
Barkley is an undisciplined, roving player, just like Allan and Doucoure. He'd be vying for their spots. We are short a sitting no6. Barkley's renaissance is a mirage, he had the same role at Everton with no responsibilities. He's terrible without the ball, surely people remember that?!
At Chelsea he was constrained, asked to be disciplined and played safe and looked lost.
At Villa he's been released, and looks happier but he'd be a disaster for us, he has zero game without the ball.
Eddie Dunn
20 Posted 09/11/2020 at 16:37:40
Rob, he is playing in a more instinctive way at Villa, where the presence of Grealish means he isn't the only one expected to make things happen. Perhaps he is enjoying his footy more there(with no big expectations), rather than at Chelsea or his hometown club, where he had a lot of stick.
Andy Crooks
21 Posted 09/11/2020 at 17:51:55
Thanks, Patrick. Unfortunately all that is coming up is a fatal error message beginning "uncaught Braintree"!!!
Patrick McFarlane
22 Posted 10/11/2020 at 20:11:00
Andy #21,

Why not send an email to MK or LL? I suspect Lyndon's attempt to upgrade the site has inadvertently caused an issue with what you're trying to do.

Patrick McFarlane
23 Posted 10/11/2020 at 20:12:28
Another FA Chairman bites the dust, what price Rick Parry to become the next?
Jay Harris
24 Posted 10/11/2020 at 20:31:50
And quite right too, Patrick. The sooner we get corrupt bastards out of the corridors of power, the sooner the game comes back to the people.
Jay Harris
25 Posted 10/11/2020 at 20:34:24
Barkley isn't coming back anytime soon and I think he is enjoying playing alongside Grealish anyway, who is soaking up all the pressure for him.

We all know Barkley is very good technically. It is upstairs where he has a problem.

Andy Crooks
26 Posted 11/11/2020 at 21:13:45
Patrick, many thanks. I took your advice and Lyndon very kindly sorted the issue which, to be honest, I had inadvertently caused!!
Patrick McFarlane
27 Posted 11/11/2020 at 21:23:48
Thanks, Andy. Glad you got it sorted.