Reader Comments (49)

Paul Hewitt
1 Posted 11/12/2020 at 21:56:50
West Ham up to 5th now.
Michael Kenrick
2 Posted 12/12/2020 at 19:25:54
And Aston Villa jump over us with a win at highly rated Wolves, pushing us down to 10th.

OMG!

Tony Abrahams
3 Posted 12/12/2020 at 23:12:45
I think that injury to Jimenez, might have really affected Wolves, Michael?
Rob Halligan
4 Posted 13/12/2020 at 13:27:56
Pete, Just watching Sheffield Utd at the moment, and I bet their fans would be craving to have Calvert-Lewin back. Even after only 12 games, they look near certainties for relegation. What are the feelings of your relatives who support the Blades? I would just love to read their equivalent of TW!
Ron Morgan
5 Posted 13/12/2020 at 13:33:48
You have to say, the way Southampton are playing so far this season, they must be a 'top 6' contender.
Peter Mills
6 Posted 13/12/2020 at 13:45:43
Rob, the Blades mood is not good I'm afraid. Even my confident prediction that they will gain their first win of the season on Boxing Day has been unable to lift them from their trough of despond.

I'm not sure their TW equivalent would be similar to here, the lads are rather bewildered as to how their form could drop off so dramatically. They are more sad (in the proper sense of the word) than anything else.

Danny O’Neill
7 Posted 13/12/2020 at 14:01:18
On the subject of Southampton v Sheff Utd, two interesting tales.

12 months ago, 19th in the league and embarrassed by Leicester. Stuck with the manager rather than do the easy thing.

12 months ago, justifiably admired by all due an impressive start in the top flight. Manager even touted in some quarters as a Marco Silva replacement.

Funny old game as they say.

Ray Roche
8 Posted 13/12/2020 at 17:00:22
Fulham 1-0 up. Apparently, according to Spit The Dog LFC are playing bad, not Fulham playing well.They've got a little feller called Lookman playing for them. Looks useful.
Danny O’Neill
9 Posted 13/12/2020 at 17:05:37
Ray, you should have heard him on the penalty. For me a clear one as the player needs to go through the boot of the Fulham player to get to the ball.

Our "Carrah - lar" was adamant that the Liverpool player had perfectly placed his boot under the Fulham player's boot to get to the ball first even though the laws of human contact and physics would debate this was actually impossible.

VAR has actually been doing its job of late but they got that one totally wrong in my opinion.

Can we get real sports journalist back please, not ex-player pundits who are effectively supporters watching the match?

Ray Roche
10 Posted 13/12/2020 at 17:18:19
Danny, Carragher is a disgrace. However, he did stick up for Pickford after THAT tackle!
Tony Waring
11 Posted 13/12/2020 at 17:25:18
Looks like Fulham are getting a tune out of Ademola. Why couldn't we? He's playing really well.

Best clip of the match so far was Herr Klopp ranting at his players in the manner of an agitated Obersturmbannfuhrer on the Eastern front.

h and yes before I forget, what a great result for us yesterday. I was especially glad for Gylfi who had a good game and got one of the coolest penalties I've seen in years.

Rob Halligan
12 Posted 13/12/2020 at 17:26:36
Sourness saying a definite penalty. Seeing replay now (half time), looks a clear penalty to me.
Andy Meighan
13 Posted 13/12/2020 at 17:30:53
How has Carragher got a job on Sky with that voice? It's just a squeak.
Tony Abrahams
14 Posted 13/12/2020 at 17:41:05
Different pressures is why I think we never got enough out of Lookman, Tony? Two bad games on the spin for Everton, and your shite, and so is the manager for picking you!

I remember him coming on at Anfield in the cup, and having a stormer, and not even being on the bench at Spurs the following week, which is never any good for confidence either.

Ray Roche
15 Posted 13/12/2020 at 17:42:23
Tony, Lookman is a couple of years older and back in London. Makes a difference.
Danny O’Neill
16 Posted 13/12/2020 at 17:51:28
For me, Lookman is one of those enigmas. Clearly talented but something not quite turning the potential into consistency.

Although I accept it won't have helped, several Everton managers just didn't quite like something. And then we got a second opinion from RB Leipzig.

Playing well today, but that penalty the other week. Possibly falling into the had potential bucket but wasn't actually as good as the talk up or didn't have the right attitude to be consistent.

Ray Smith
17 Posted 13/12/2020 at 18:02:42
Why did we let Lookman go?

He's had so much bad press over the last couple of seasons. But he's ripping into Liverpool.

Perhaps Silva and Allardyce couldn't see what Scott Parker sees.

I accept that different managers have different views. But can you say Lookman is lazy? I don't think so.

I'll wait for the diehards to shoot me down... 😂

Danny O’Neill
18 Posted 13/12/2020 at 18:07:18
Ray Smith. To my point. Consistency. No good doing it in one game. I don't think he's done it consistently. You go into the Ross Barkley category there; he ripped into Liverpool earlier this season.
Jason Wilkinson
19 Posted 13/12/2020 at 18:08:05
Ray,
Lookman wanted to leave. He wasn't prepared to fight for his place. Good luck to him but he has gone the way of the vast majority that leave us. DOWN.
Jason Wilkinson
20 Posted 13/12/2020 at 18:11:05
Oh what a surprise. The RS get a pen. Ffs.
Brent Stephens
21 Posted 13/12/2020 at 18:11:05
RS awarded a penalty. Apparently arm raised above shoulder height. Replays suggest to me that's not above shoulder height. No VAR.
Danny O’Neill
22 Posted 13/12/2020 at 18:12:45
And to the previous point. Back in London. Never seemed settled on Merseyside.
Tony Hill
23 Posted 13/12/2020 at 18:12:56
Let's hear Klopp on the failings of VAR now.
Joe McMahon
24 Posted 13/12/2020 at 18:16:40
Ray, I didn't want him.to leave, he didn't start that many games. I'm also in the minority that didn't want Moise Kean to go. I'd personally rather Brands concentrated somehow in shifting Davies, Tosun and Sigurdsson but appreciate there aren't any takers easily found.
Mike Gaynes
25 Posted 13/12/2020 at 18:19:42
Ray, I would point out that it wasn't just a series of Everton managers that declined Lookman -- it was also Leipzig, which bought him from us and then loaned him out to Fulham without giving him much of a chance. Personally I was always a booster of his (the Forum folks got heartily sick of my calling for him to be subbed in), but the fact is he has never performed up to the level of his talent.

Until now. Hurrah for growth and maturity.

And applause today also for another former Blue I didn't want to see sold, future US World Cup left-back Antonee Robinson. He's playing great.

Brian Murray
26 Posted 13/12/2020 at 18:25:35
I know top teams usually get the benefit but come on! Their pact with the devil is as strong as ever. The derby match must've been a bit too nippy for Satan. VAR bastards.
Joe McMahon
27 Posted 13/12/2020 at 18:33:07
Brian, mysteriously the name Salah is only one letter out?
Tony Abrahams
28 Posted 13/12/2020 at 18:50:46
Not a clear and obvious error, says Dermot Gallagher, with regards the Fabinho tackle that should have been overturned by VAR. it looks like an air shot he said. Although I didn't agree with that assessment, I'm sure both him and today's ref will contradict themselves, before the month is out, which is still my biggest gripe with this VAR.
Kim Vivian
29 Posted 13/12/2020 at 19:14:30
And Fulham should have had a penalty surely, to make it 2. That tackle took the lads foot before the ball.
James Flynn
30 Posted 13/12/2020 at 19:28:48
Watching the Sheffield United game, I was wondering how they're going to find goals this season. They seem devoid of an attack.

Just finished watching Fulham get at the RS. It's done and he's gone, but still shaking my head at letting Robinson go. Didn't care who came up his flank, he took em on. AND great with the ball. I guess he knew he wasn't moving Digne out and at 22-23 years old, he wanted to play now. Still, a pity.

Lookman. Never know with that youngster, but he might (finally) had a good, hard look in the mirror. We'll see.

Don't know where Palace will wind up but, boy, Hodgson has a bunch of athletes out there.

James Flynn
31 Posted 13/12/2020 at 19:54:32
We'll see on Lookman. He was terrific when he went out to Germany on loan, too. Then what?

Ray Smith
32 Posted 13/12/2020 at 20:12:34
Jason,

Why did he want to leave? I'll stand corrected but Unsworth always rated him.

As an aside it was a Fulham penalty, and the totally biased Carragher said it wasn't before the in depth analysis. Even then still a penalty in my opinion!

Brian Murray
33 Posted 13/12/2020 at 20:16:22
Let's hope Foxes – and particularly gerbil gob up front – have ran out of goals and we take 'em on Wednesday!
Rob Halligan
34 Posted 13/12/2020 at 20:44:04
Just thinking the same, Brian. Hope they use up all their good fortune tonight. Xhaka for Arsenal also sent off for violent conduct, so a three-match ban by the looks of it. Arsenal could have a pretty poor season this season, so let's compound their misery next Saturday.

And as we speak, Arsenal go a goal down. Aubameyang own-goal.

Brent Stephens
35 Posted 13/12/2020 at 20:46:07
And Arsenal just avoided another sending off. How, I don't know. Still, they're a goal down. Doing well is Arteta.
Rob Halligan
36 Posted 13/12/2020 at 20:48:06
What was the question about 12 months ago, Brent? Ancelotti or Arteta?
Danny O’Neill
37 Posted 13/12/2020 at 20:50:00
Tony, you've heard my thoughts on Kenny before, both watching him for Everton and Schalke.

Not where we want to be if he was our first choice, but I would definitely have him in the squad. He's good and is committed and that is good enough for me to have as backup, but that's where I see him.

Watching the events at the Emirates unfold. Not going well for Mikel unfortunately. A very unforgiving bunch too. They drove out their most successful manager ever so I do fear for him.

Brent Stephens
38 Posted 13/12/2020 at 20:54:35
Rob, we dodged a bullet maybe!
Tony Abrahams
39 Posted 13/12/2020 at 20:56:30
I turned the footy off before Danny, because I was getting bored with the Arsenal game, but it doesn't surprise me to see that Burnley have gone in front though.

Arteta started his Arsenal regime playing a style very similar to Everton yesterday, and if you don't get results when you play a defensive game, then confidence wilts, and quite possibly, the blame game might also begin now for little Mickey...

Rob Halligan
40 Posted 13/12/2020 at 20:57:22
Jonny Evans booked, so he misses the game on Wednesday. Will that be their two main centre-halves missing? No doubt Wes Morgan will come in now.
Tony Abrahams
41 Posted 13/12/2020 at 21:01:18
I thought Robinson had a really good game for Fulham today, James. I haven't watched him much, but he always seemed a little bit stiff and awkward with the ball at his feet.

But not today, he was strong and positive all game. The kid also looks to be a very good athlete, which is also half the battle in the modern game.

Mike Gaynes
42 Posted 13/12/2020 at 21:09:30
Funniest thing I saw this weekend: Arsenal fan watching the final moments against Burnley... sliding his mask up over his eyes. I bellowed.

Well done, Burnley.

Robert Tressell
43 Posted 13/12/2020 at 21:15:17
I like Arteta, and I have to say I was a bit jealous of Arsenal when their young manager was doing so well right from the off. Serious dip in form though despite a good group of players.

And the trouble is, he has no track record that says he'll turn it around. Good for us, because it puts one of the traditional big 6 on the back foot. All to play for.

Mick Davies
44 Posted 13/12/2020 at 21:28:31
Mike, I was laughing at that Arsenal fan too: it reminded me of when we had Steve Round on the touchline too.

Can't wait for next week when he comes to Goodison, and we get him and Mikel the sack, like we did with Moyes COYB

Jason Wilkinson
45 Posted 13/12/2020 at 21:33:10
Mick,

Do you think he will be in charge by next week?

Arsenal's worst start since I can't remember.

Kunal Desai
46 Posted 13/12/2020 at 21:38:27
I hope Everton charity day doesn't strike next weekend. Be typical of us to stop their rot. Really do hope we don't have one eye on the cup tie and we remain focused on Arsenal.
Mike Hughes
47 Posted 13/12/2020 at 21:41:24
Klopp whining again about the opposition's style of play not suiting the RS. Bless.

Big week coming up for us.
I'd take 4 points by this time next week. Despite a crap run of results we're only 5 off the top - and with injuries to key players.

Top 6 is going to be tight this season. It's still on.

Kunal - if our charity day is not next week, Boxing Day looks a dead cert.

Kunal Desai
48 Posted 13/12/2020 at 23:16:26
Agree Mike. Season of goodwill. Lets hope Everton don't give out any pre and post xmas presents which they are renound for.
James Flynn
49 Posted 14/12/2020 at 14:35:27
Tony (41) - Of course, I, Mike, Jamie etal Americans had a 2-3 year lead on seeing young Robby, so we knew he was a legit prospect. And it's somewhat selfish, I suppose, but like the idea of one of our American boys excelling for our Club. No denying that's part of it.

Anyway, that he's doing the business with Fulham comes as no surprise to Americans. It's why Gaynes was so pissed off in here when we sold him. But he wasn't bumping Digne out of that position, so he moved on.

Oh well.