Reader Comments (152)

Michael Kenrick
1 Posted 19/03/2021 at 21:20:05
Lookman totally messes up an almost open goal...

Leeds pick up the ball, go straight up the other end and score.

Dale Self
2 Posted 19/03/2021 at 21:28:43
Yeah, I really wish we would have kept him so he could do that for us. Dude's got skills but cannot generate any chemistry with the other forwards.

Good call Kieran on that kick to the face. I guess the striker was looking at the ball but you have to know what could happen extending like that.

Kieran Kinsella
3 Posted 19/03/2021 at 21:29:18
Slavia Prague are filing criminal charges against Rangers for the assault on the guy who allegedly used a racial slur. I am surprised they're not filing charges for the kick to the head of the goalie.

Rangers apparently plan to report the guy for making the racist remark to the police. Sad to see two teams who've had a great run letting everything descend into racism, violence etc.

4 Posted 19/03/2021 at 21:31:24
Celtic have confirmed.

No guard of honour for Rangers.

Brian Wilkinson
6 Posted 20/03/2021 at 00:49:07
Do not blame Celtic, Rangers refused to give one, two years ago for Celtic.
Kieran Kinsella
7 Posted 20/03/2021 at 00:51:51
Did we even do guards of honor in the old days? I thought Jim Rosenthal would just meet Bert Millichip pitch side and hand the trophies to the winners.
8 Posted 20/03/2021 at 12:23:45
Personally I'm not one for all this staged friendliness. Players show respect at the end of game with a handshake and exchange of a few words. I know some don't like it when there's a laugh and a joke, but it's part and parcel of the game.

The enforced so called fair play handshake and this guard of honour thing are just theatrical nonsense to me and distract players from focussing on the game ahead of them. Guess I'm getting older and grumpier!

I can probably bring myself to understand why it is a thing but yet another initiative in the game driven likely driven by men in grey suites who have never played the game.

Right, that triggered! Off to pour my medicine to keep the heart rate and blood pressure down ahead of later. It's called vino!

9 Posted 20/03/2021 at 12:26:58
Southampton "score" at Bournemouth but ruled out by VAR
10 Posted 20/03/2021 at 12:44:29
Got half an eye on that one Rob. Saw a nasty tackle on Ward-Prowse early on. Probably no malicious intent, but the connection didn't look nice in slow motion.

Also have Brentford on. Interesting to see if they can finally get up after going so close in recent seasons.

11 Posted 20/03/2021 at 12:53:08
Interesting to see that VAR is actually being used in this cup game, what with Bournemouth being a championship side. Is this the first time VAR has been used at a ground outside the premier league? Southampton now do lead 1-0.
12 Posted 20/03/2021 at 13:02:18
Wel! Looks like Southampton are into the semi finals. 2-0 right on the stroke of half-time
Dale Self
13 Posted 20/03/2021 at 13:03:04
Djenepo was kind to scuff his chance against us. I'd have him as a squad player, looks like he's got some steel.

Good, no more stories about Jack Wilshere.

Don Wright
14 Posted 20/03/2021 at 13:11:54
Rob all cup games from the quarters on have VAR irrespective of were it is.
15 Posted 20/03/2021 at 13:13:14
Cheers Don. I didn't know that.
16 Posted 20/03/2021 at 13:16:56
Blinked and missed that. All being well, Everton v Southampton at Highbury in the semi finals?!
17 Posted 20/03/2021 at 13:26:02
Definitely over now. 3-0.

Nope, disallowed by VAR again.

Now it is 3-0..........I think!!

Yep.....game over!! 😁😁😁

Don Wright
18 Posted 20/03/2021 at 13:30:30
Not over yet Rob the wife's not singing
19 Posted 20/03/2021 at 13:34:01
Strong and very brave shout, Don. I hope you said that virtually and not out loud!
Len Hawkins
20 Posted 20/03/2021 at 13:34:05
See Peter Lorimer has passed away, what a powerful striker of the ball he was. Thinking back I think the only comparable players at Everton with that sort of power were John Hurst when he broke forward and smacked it from outside the area and Bruce Rioch similarly Unsy had a decent shot in him. I bet many a goalkeeper had stinging hands before these space age wicket keepers gloves they wear now.
Don Wright
21 Posted 20/03/2021 at 13:36:10
That's it – she's started singing with Old Land of My Fathers.
22 Posted 20/03/2021 at 13:40:37
Well, this game is done and dusted. Might as well take the dog out for an hour or two and ponder over the game tonight. Also try and find an offie!!
Geoff Trenner
23 Posted 20/03/2021 at 13:48:22
Len @ 20. Andy King?
24 Posted 20/03/2021 at 13:49:12
Think I will mow the dog and take the grass for a walk Rob.
Not a chance today apparently
Jeff Armstrong
25 Posted 20/03/2021 at 13:57:39
England getting hit all over the shop by India.

Don't know how Archer can bowl with that Goldy looking chain around his neck!

Ray Roche
26 Posted 20/03/2021 at 14:41:47
Len @20,

In the Sixties, one of the tabloids asked each First Division club to nominate their player with the hardest shot to have a competition to see who was the best. They used a device which measured the speed of the ball, a bit like a radar trap, and each nominated player hit the ball through the radar beam to gauge the speed. Lorimer won.

Everton's player was Sandy Brown.

Brian Murray
27 Posted 20/03/2021 at 14:51:42
Thomas @24. Yeah, maybe time to kiss the cat and put the wife out but you never know! We need no passengers today and we can do this.
28 Posted 20/03/2021 at 14:55:08
Give it our very best shot, Brian. We can ask for no more than that.

9 times out of 10, Man City win this game given our injuries and the respective depth of the squads. This could be the 10th game, you never know.

Brian Murray
29 Posted 20/03/2021 at 14:55:25
Danny, @16. That Highbury semi-final is the best and loudest I have seen our fans. Closely followed by the Andy King derby and the Bayern Munich game. Will we ever get that back. Coyb
Bill Gall
30 Posted 20/03/2021 at 15:46:44
Ray #26 the speed listed for Lorimer was reckoned to be 107 mph
Bill Gall
31 Posted 20/03/2021 at 16:13:24
Brian @29 Talking about Semi Finals, it is nearly the same day April 22nd 50yrs ago that Everton beat the other Man club,Utd, at Burnden Park Bolton.
I remember that one, when Harvey scored the goal where the Evertonian supporters were, I believe it was called the railway end as you could hear trains behind you.
32 Posted 21/03/2021 at 10:29:24
Not in a state of mind to discuss the Brighton v Newcastle match last night. What a result; and it could easily have been more.

What a state Newcastle are in. The body language of the players suggest something is rotten at that club beyond the dugout and Steve Bruce. At one point I see a Newcastle player attempt to make a "pass". Not sure what his intent was, but clearly there was someone in a black and white striped shirt in row D, seat 55 as that's where it went. More likely to see that type of pass in the Dog & Duck versus the Red Lion.

33 Posted 21/03/2021 at 12:00:20

Away The Celts

34 Posted 21/03/2021 at 12:06:00
Thomas ...........”Away the Celts”

You've just gone down in my estimations. 😀😀

35 Posted 21/03/2021 at 12:11:57
You a Rangers man, Rob?
36 Posted 21/03/2021 at 12:15:01
Up The Bears, Thomas! 🤙🤙
37 Posted 21/03/2021 at 12:18:20
I've seen the size of you, Rob.

You must carry the biggest drum! 😁😁

38 Posted 21/03/2021 at 12:21:33
Round “The Penny Arcade”. Bigger than Ken Dodds knotty Ash drum!
39 Posted 21/03/2021 at 12:24:09
😁😁
Get in yer beauty

Really impressed with pre match at the old firm game.

40 Posted 21/03/2021 at 12:25:58
😡😡😡😡
41 Posted 21/03/2021 at 12:26:48
Nobody took the knee. Good to see that. It's a futile gesture that will not change anything.
42 Posted 21/03/2021 at 12:30:04
Agreed Thomas. I understand the reasoning behind it, but it's gone on for too long now, and nothing seems to have changed. That looked a definite penalty to me just then for Celtic, but player booked for diving.
43 Posted 21/03/2021 at 12:37:45
Only way to stop it Rob is to withdraw from the arena.

Black footballers, boxers, athletes,baseball players, basketball players, singers, actors, all need to walk off stage.
The losses to the money men would soon bring the required change

44 Posted 21/03/2021 at 12:38:37
Yeeeehaaaaaa!!

Morelos with a Calvert-Lewin poachers goal at the back stick from a corner. Corner given away though by Johnjoe Kenny with a terrible back pass to the goalie.

45 Posted 21/03/2021 at 12:43:14
Think we'd best move to the premier league fa cup thread, Thomas. Michael K doesn't like non related posts appearing on threads. 😀😀😀
46 Posted 21/03/2021 at 12:46:27
I was literally about to say I'd not seen enough of Jonjoe Kenny to make a judgement. First significant contribution was to make a very strange pass / tackle that gave away an unnecessary corner. Then he leaves his man at the far post for Rangers' equaliser.

Poor lad. I really wish him well, but that didn't look great.

47 Posted 21/03/2021 at 12:47:16
Pretty strong team Chelsea are putting out against sheff Utd. Is it worth the blades turning up?
Joe McMahon
48 Posted 21/03/2021 at 12:53:40
On hard hitters Lorimer was a beast of a player with a rocket shot. There was a player at Sheff Wednesday in the 90s who could thump a 25 yarder. He wasn't a prolific scorer though, not sure of his name, mat have been David Hurst? Then of course Yeboah.
49 Posted 21/03/2021 at 12:56:26
As I've said Rob, to rub salt into Jon Joe's wounds, he was marking Morelos. Only he stood still and didn't.
50 Posted 21/03/2021 at 13:00:10
Danny # 32. I see Mike Ashley will stick with Steve Bruce. Deserves everything he gets coming his way. Meanwhile I'm reading that Chris Wilder is favourite to take over at West Brom next season. Clearly the West Brom board have little faith in Allardyce pulling off the miracle dream this season. One or two on here will be disappointed!
51 Posted 21/03/2021 at 13:08:43
Joe, remember that goal Yeboah scored against the RS at Elland Road. The power in the shot was unbelievable, almost snapping the bar in two as it bounced down and over the line.
52 Posted 21/03/2021 at 13:33:32
You know what Tony's dressing room nickname was, Rob?
53 Posted 21/03/2021 at 13:39:47
Ashley just likes a yes man Rob. I have some very good friends who are Newcastle fans. The vibe I get makes me think that if we collectively are hostile towards Kenwright, they are absolutely toxic towards Ashley.

I think Southampton and Brighton have done enough now. All that remains to be seen is whether Fulham have it in them to muster enough points to overcome a team that seems to be in total free fall judging by last night.

Sam's hose was always going to run dry at some point.

54 Posted 21/03/2021 at 13:53:12
Thomas, haven't a clue mate, but I bet it's something to do with his manhood!
John Keating
55 Posted 21/03/2021 at 13:53:36
Feel sorry for Jonjoe Kenny – I really wished he could have made it with us.

At least he or his agent has plenty of time to look for another club.

56 Posted 21/03/2021 at 13:55:23
Chelsea 1-0. Unfortunate own goal.
57 Posted 21/03/2021 at 13:58:08
Yeboah constrictor.

No idea why

Jeff Armstrong
58 Posted 21/03/2021 at 13:59:35
Apparently Yeboah was excellent in the tackle!
59 Posted 21/03/2021 at 14:11:00
Bet his wife thought he was a real charmer, Thomas. 😀😀
60 Posted 21/03/2021 at 14:15:11
In-between appointments with the osteopath... 😁😁
61 Posted 21/03/2021 at 14:49:34
Blimey Jags was lucky there. Nearly a belter of an own goal. Back pass which just cleared the post for a corner.
62 Posted 21/03/2021 at 14:52:16
Just winced all the way down to my toes watching Pulisic take that rake down his Achilles. It was exactly that sort of challenge that tore mine two summers ago.

Rob #51, I remember that one. And I remember him scoring one like that with his left foot in the Bundesliga a year or two earlier. The guy had thighs like bridge pylons. Biggest I ever saw outside of a bodybuilding competition.

63 Posted 21/03/2021 at 14:55:59
Not sure how in the world McGoldrick missed that one. Oy vey.
64 Posted 21/03/2021 at 14:57:33
Mike, that challenge on Pulisic was accidental, but to me, it was exactly the same as Digne on Kyle Walker-Peters in the Southampton game, for which Digne, rightly or wrongly, got sent off. Yet again, no consistency in the officials.
65 Posted 21/03/2021 at 14:59:43
Was that just a fantastic defensive clearance by McGoldrick?

Great cross from Lundstram?

Sheffield Utd giving this a go.

66 Posted 21/03/2021 at 15:02:48
Rob, refs are as different as players. Two refs will look at the same challenge from the same angle in a similar situation and see it differently.
67 Posted 21/03/2021 at 15:16:11
Jon Moss is pacing himself well here.
He has usually stopped the game to give a player a dressing down by now.
(While giving himself a chance to get his breath back)
Bill Gall
68 Posted 21/03/2021 at 15:17:45
West Ham 1-up!
69 Posted 21/03/2021 at 15:20:16
2-0
The old TGT shouts will be available shortly.
Barry Rathbone
70 Posted 21/03/2021 at 15:22:24
Excellent Chelsea second albeit aided by Jagielka's trademark ball-watching.
71 Posted 21/03/2021 at 15:23:50
Poor Jags. Just couldn't stay with one of the fastest players in the world.
Ajay Gopal
72 Posted 21/03/2021 at 15:25:53
WHU now 2-0 up. The master giving a masterclass to the pupil?

I must grudgingly give credit to Moyes. He has built a good team at WHU who many pundits had for relegation.

Typical Moyes team build - careful scouting to bring in players who are hard-working (Soucek) and those looking to rebuild their careers (Lingard) and a very solid defence.

73 Posted 21/03/2021 at 15:28:27
Pulisic the BBC MotM.

Croatian heritage, made in the USA and came through at Borussia Dortmund.

The Bundesliga certainly does have a good plug into the US system. I wonder why it's not something English clubs look at more.

Joe McMahon
74 Posted 21/03/2021 at 15:29:12
Bill, it's 2 up now. I thought at the time a loan move for Lingard would have been positive for us as he has pace and can run with the ball (doing the basics) which our midfield seem not to do. But many on this site were Hell No.
Jim Bennings
75 Posted 21/03/2021 at 15:30:39
Looks like we'll probably be finishing below our old gaffer Moyesie this season anyway.

He's done a sound job at West Ham and they remind me of his Everton sides between 2007 and 2012, they all play to a pattern and know what they are doing unlike our lot that sometimes don't look like they've ever seen a ball in their life.

It's annoying watching sides that haven't spent the money we have, play football that tries to entertain and win matches, even Sheff Utd have just given it a right good go at Chelsea and been unlucky there to lose that.

Barry Rathbone
76 Posted 21/03/2021 at 15:31:29
I hope Moyes does alright at West Ham. I like the Hammers but he'll have to do it again next season, ideally winning something to erase the history of his previous failures.
77 Posted 21/03/2021 at 15:33:07
Danny, our English isn't good enough.
Brent Stephens
78 Posted 21/03/2021 at 15:33:16
Wow 3-0!
Bill Gall
79 Posted 21/03/2021 at 15:34:53
There is talk at the moment if West Ham keep it up Moyes for manager of the year. 3--0 heading the right way
80 Posted 21/03/2021 at 15:36:09
Will Celtic make a move for Moyes? Surely his dream job!
81 Posted 21/03/2021 at 15:38:48
There is that Mike!!

Seriously, I would like to see us tap more into that system. The US generally produces technical players in my experience. And good goalkeepers, which I assume is linked to the hand-ball nature of the most popular sports out there.

Arteta has a big job on his hands at Arsenal and I fear he goes down the Lampard route. The perils of a club going with a populist heart-based decision.

82 Posted 21/03/2021 at 15:39:47
And as I say that, I give it commentator's kiss of death. Lifeline.
Bill Gall
83 Posted 21/03/2021 at 15:42:12
Does anyone honestly believe we will make the top 4? This game will put us 5 points behind the Hammers with 1 game in hand and we haven't taken advantage of any games in hand we have had yet. Plus our inferior goal difference which, in a draw on points, is worth an extra position.
Darren Hind
85 Posted 21/03/2021 at 15:45:41
Arteta as a manager has won more in a year than we as a club have won for 25 years.

I wouldnt worry too much about him. He will get al the backing he wants.

Judge him when he has had a few transfer windows LOL

86 Posted 21/03/2021 at 15:47:40
Agree Darren. That's common sense rather than knee-jerking too early. Totally agree.
87 Posted 21/03/2021 at 15:49:19
Top 4 never realistic for me Bill. It became a hopeful, well, hope, but never realistic. Europe was more realistic but not through top 4.
88 Posted 21/03/2021 at 15:50:11
"Will Celtic make a move for Moyes? Surely his dream job!"

Probably not Rob.
Celtic don't do guards of honour

Bill 82,

We were never equipped to get 4th place.

A lot of fans wound themselves up into thinking we could. Same fans, are now slagging the manager because he wont get them where they imagined he would.

Not this, season. I reckon we will compete for top four next season

Darren Hind
89 Posted 21/03/2021 at 15:52:15
TGT would still manage to miss out on a trophy in a two horse race
90 Posted 21/03/2021 at 15:52:50
How on earth can that Arsenal goal be an OG? Lacazette smashed it and it was clearly on target. It may have clipped a West Ham player but it was going in all day long.
91 Posted 21/03/2021 at 15:56:15
Nah, I'm not having that as an OG.
92 Posted 21/03/2021 at 16:01:36
Genuine curiosity as I never really took much notice, but why was Lingard surplus to requirements at Man Utd? He's on fire right now, but always a bit suspicious when they release a player.
93 Posted 21/03/2021 at 16:05:39
Good early start to 2nd half by Arsenal. That was great defending though; fantastic anticipation and reading of the situation.
94 Posted 21/03/2021 at 16:06:08
Is Lingard only on loan at West Ham? If so, and if he does well then Man Utd will take him back seeing as it looks like Cavani won't be staying. Alternatively, United will probably rip West Ham off to the tune of 㿞M.
95 Posted 21/03/2021 at 16:08:21
Danny #80, actually the US has rarely produced good technical players -- only Claudio Reyna really. Mostly relentless physical workers like Dempsey, McBride, Joe-Max. Even Donovan wasn't a good dribbler.

That's what so exciting about this new generation. Pulisic, Dest, McKennie, Reyna are all top quality technical players.

But you're right about the US goalkeeper factory. Howard, Friedel and Keller were all star basketball players in high school.

96 Posted 21/03/2021 at 16:09:47
Rob, from the camera shot behind the goal, it definitely looked off-target to me until it hit the defender.
97 Posted 21/03/2021 at 16:13:15
You're correct Rob, on loan. Also 28, which surprised me as I still had him down as up and coming!!
98 Posted 21/03/2021 at 16:16:28
Time for Moss to retire and enjoy that excess 20 pounds.
99 Posted 21/03/2021 at 16:19:48
Game on. 3-2. Another oggie
100 Posted 21/03/2021 at 16:20:26
Game on.

Thanks Mike. Have to admit, some of the local facilities I see around where I have property in Florida are absolutely stunning. Puts us to shame.

Bill Gall
101 Posted 21/03/2021 at 16:23:26
Keep it up Arsenal – advantage us with a draw or West Ham loss!
Jay Harris
102 Posted 21/03/2021 at 16:27:27
Mike.

Don't under sell the US players. You missed Robinson off that list and Yedlin who does seem to have had a recent loss of form.

103 Posted 21/03/2021 at 16:36:24
I'm torn if that was a worse miss than McGoldrick's...
Jeff Armstrong
104 Posted 21/03/2021 at 16:38:19
Moyes going totally defensive,never changes, hope Arsenal score.
Jay Harris
105 Posted 21/03/2021 at 16:39:47
Bill,

I'm not sure an Arsenal win will benefit us by the end of the season.

106 Posted 21/03/2021 at 16:40:09
3-3. Call it a draw now!
108 Posted 21/03/2021 at 16:42:18
Jay, I left off Robinson because I was listing technical players. He's really not, at least not yet. His game is mostly about pace.

Yedlin is no longer relevant. He's been surpassed by Dest and Cannon. He's now in Turkey. I doubt he will make the World Cup roster.

Jeff Armstrong
109 Posted 21/03/2021 at 16:42:49
Moss must hate Moyes, giving West Ham nothing.
110 Posted 21/03/2021 at 16:43:34
This is a great game!
111 Posted 21/03/2021 at 16:45:12
What a run by Rice.
Bill Gall
112 Posted 21/03/2021 at 16:46:43
Jay the top 4 is most probably beyond us but 5th is there if we really make the effort so we need West Ham to go on a losing spell, we already have. 5th position will get us into the European competition without any pre-qualifying games that may include traveling to play Timbuctoo Utd.
113 Posted 21/03/2021 at 16:53:43
Danny #99, yep, but the coaching is crap. That's why most young US talent heads to overseas academies as early as possible.
Kieran Kinsella
114 Posted 21/03/2021 at 16:54:16
Danny O'Neill

Lingard's mother was ill, he was having to look after younger siblings. By his own admission, stress led him to do some stupid things and to lose focus, so his form tanked. But he had a heart to heart with Ole and this loan is viewed as his chance to have a reset.

Jay Harris
115 Posted 21/03/2021 at 16:55:15
Bill,

I see Arsenal with a late run so I'm happier with them both dropping 2 points.

Barry Rathbone
116 Posted 21/03/2021 at 16:56:43
Have I heard right? West Ham have surrendered a 3-goal lead?

Nobody snatches defeat out of the jaws of victory like The Dour One... some things never change!

117 Posted 21/03/2021 at 17:00:59
😂😂😂

Moyes doing a Moyes there... 2nd in a one-horse race.

118 Posted 21/03/2021 at 17:05:54
That should have been a red card for Martial.
Colin Glassar
119 Posted 21/03/2021 at 17:06:16
The habitual Moyes end-of-season collapse begins!!
120 Posted 21/03/2021 at 17:15:46
Thanks Kieran, I genuinely didn't know much about him. Hopefully this gets his career back on track as he has talent.

Sky may have given Chamberlain MotM there but for me I was really impressed with Odegaard. Kind of goes against the grain of wanting pace but demonstrates you can be energetic and quick of football brain without having jet powered boots.

Moyes is so frustrating. Early Everton Moyes I got and understood. Today was typical of later Everton Moyes. Why change what you're doing if it's working? They sat massively deep. That said, credit to Arteta and Arsenal for the manner in which they came back.

121 Posted 21/03/2021 at 17:20:29
Just interesting how the Bundesliga has tapped into that Mike yet we haven't. Missing a trick?
122 Posted 21/03/2021 at 17:20:35
Outstanding Odegaard, Danny. Never misplaced a, pass until the last minute. What a football brain.

West Ham looked as if they could score with every attack first half, Arsenal all over the place. Moyes can't bring himself to kill games off by attacking. He got his just rewards.

123 Posted 21/03/2021 at 17:24:56
Haha, what a gift of a goal for Leicester
Brian Williams
124 Posted 21/03/2021 at 17:26:59
Maguire's pass to Fred reminiscent of Keane's to Davies, but much worse.
125 Posted 21/03/2021 at 17:39:28
So, I am I correct in this calculation:

Only 5th place is ever guaranteed Europe.

Likely that City, United, Chelsea and Leicester will take top 4 or at the very least qualify for Europe.

City play United in the League Cup final. So, given the above, the League Cup place goes to 6th place in the league.

The FA Cup final is going to be between either Man City, Chelsea, Southampton & either Leicester or Man Utd.

So, providing Southampton don't win the FA Cup, by virtue of all those teams already being in Europe, 7th does it?

126 Posted 21/03/2021 at 17:44:38
Danny, that just about sums it up.

Apart from Man City playing Spurs in the Carabao Cup Final. So, if Spurs win that, they qualify for Europe irrespective of league placing.

Any one of Man City, Man Utd, Chelsea or Leicester City win the FA Cup and it will be down to 6th place for the final European place. However, if Arsenal win the Europa League does our 4th placed team drop into the Europa League?

127 Posted 21/03/2021 at 17:57:04
These European equations and what ifs always get confusing this time of year, Rob!! I guess keep it simple, take care of our own business, and finish as high as we can.

Seems the important matches will be West Ham, Tottenham, Arsenal & Villa (x 2). Well, they all are as I'd like to think we take points from Palace and Brighton before that but, at this stage of the season, matches against those around you are the 6 pointers.

128 Posted 21/03/2021 at 18:00:07
Semi final draw is...

Leicester City vs Southampton.
Chelsea vs Man City.

Dave Abrahams
129 Posted 21/03/2021 at 18:02:18
I've just watched the goals in the West Ham Utd v Arsenal game... how was the second West Ham goal allowed?

Moss looked like he was going to mark the spot for the free-kick to be taken, then West Ham took it very quickly, without any whistle or anything, and scored. Were there no arguments over this goal?

Colin Glassar
130 Posted 21/03/2021 at 18:09:00
I can see us ending up with about 56-58 points and finishing 6th as West Ham will collapse now.

Man City
Man Utd
Chelsea
Leicester City
Liverpool
Everton

I'm not sure if that will get us European football.

131 Posted 21/03/2021 at 18:09:02
I thought Moyes might have come out stronger with complaints about the build up to the 2nd Arsenal goal, Dave. Not that it would have made a difference, but I thought it was a free-kick to West Ham, let alone a soft one to Arsenal.
132 Posted 21/03/2021 at 18:17:54
In that scenario, if Man City win the League Cup and Southampton don't win the FA Cup, 6th and 7th get Europe, Colin.

I think!

Kieran Kinsella
133 Posted 21/03/2021 at 18:23:56
Danny 131

It may not if Liverpool win the CL and Arse the Europa and finish outside the top four. In that case Fourth fifth and sixth would go to Europa or the new conf and 7th would miss out I think

Mike Connolly
134 Posted 21/03/2021 at 18:24:26
6th? I'll have what Colin has been drinking.

I hope he's right though...

Barry Rathbone
135 Posted 21/03/2021 at 18:28:54
Danny 130,

Moyes's entire schtick is to evoke sympathy when things go wrong and dampen expectations when things go well.

Today's debacle calls for the wounded man act whereby he deftly leaves the blanks for others to fill in: "the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune".

He might be as dull as dishwater but his ability to defuse personal criticism and replace it with "I am a man of dignity come what may" is second to none.

136 Posted 21/03/2021 at 18:29:55
I knew it was a bad idea to get into European qualification maths on a Sunday afternoon, Kieran!! Too many ifs, buts and maybes. 5th is the only guarantee, although 6th is likely.

There I go again.

Odegaard did look quality today, Thomas.

137 Posted 21/03/2021 at 18:36:19
Leicester on their way to the semi-finals. Now 3-1.
Michael Kenrick
138 Posted 21/03/2021 at 18:40:35
Iheanacho's goal looked very slick. But if the Man Utd defender is a foot closer, he heads it away/behind.

Small margins.

Barry Rathbone
139 Posted 21/03/2021 at 18:42:55
What a marvelous outfit Leicester look! All their players look fit and full of running – and remarkably all have basic mastery of ball control and passing. No imbalance in the set-up – and the lad at #4 is like Daniel Passerella reincarnated.
140 Posted 21/03/2021 at 18:50:38
Michael,

Same lad gave a stupid free-kick away leading to the goal. Player with his back to goal, going nowhere, and he fouls him.

141 Posted 21/03/2021 at 18:54:51
Well done, Leicester. Deserved. We took 4 points off them this season. Shows we're not far off, as some would have us think.

Right, Villa vs Tottenham. Another draw or Villa win? I have to be careful here as the wife and in-laws are Villains.

Colin Glassar
142 Posted 21/03/2021 at 18:54:52
We played the wrong Manc team yesterday.
143 Posted 21/03/2021 at 18:56:07
Peaky blinders Danny?
Mark Murphy
144 Posted 21/03/2021 at 18:57:07
I wouldn't swap him for Carlo but I'll grudgingly admit Brendan Rodgers is a decent coach.
Joe McMahon
145 Posted 21/03/2021 at 19:01:15
Mark, Brendan Rogers is more than decent. Look how Leicester play.
Colin Glassar
146 Posted 21/03/2021 at 19:01:15
Outside of Scotland, he's never won anything, Mark, and probably never will. He's a bit like Moyes in that respect.
Tony Abrahams
147 Posted 21/03/2021 at 19:13:52
Mike@94, I've never been what you'd describe as a pro American, but I've always admired the Yanks for their commitment to sports.

Working hard seems to come naturally to American sport-stars, so maybe it's time to get excited about your country's football team, now you've got the talent to go alongside honest endeavour?

148 Posted 21/03/2021 at 19:34:12
I admire the American college football system. Not only does it totally promote youth development and prepare for the big time (playing in front of huge crowds in stadia that put some Premier League grounds in the shadows), but the way they do the draft system. Excuse my high level understanding and I do know a US poster educated me some time back but the lowest team gets first dabs on the top rated player. It kind of makes it a more even playing field.
149 Posted 21/03/2021 at 20:20:22
Tottenham hit Villa with a sucker punch. Does Mourinho sit on this and protect the win?
150 Posted 21/03/2021 at 20:24:37
FFS, the BBC have already updated the league table showing Spurs upto 6th place. Mind they are one of their so-called top-six clubs, aren't they!
Robert Scott
151 Posted 21/03/2021 at 20:31:21
I know it should not bother me but it does...

Jack Grealish sat in the stands brazenly sporting his Nike swoosh pyjamas.

Joe McMahon
152 Posted 21/03/2021 at 20:37:58
Rob, it's a live table. It's always like that. Not everything is anti-Everton.
153 Posted 22/03/2021 at 01:20:37
Tony #147, I'm more than excited. This will be the first US national team that was ever really fun to watch. And at the next World Cup (not this one, too young), they could be serious competitors.

Dave #129, West Ham can take the free kick as quickly as they want, as long as it's from the correct spot -- and as long as the ref hasn't made that pointing-to-the-whistle signal meaning wait for the whistle to take it. Moss made no such signal. That's why nobody on Arsenal complained. They just got suckered and knew it.

Ajay Gopal
154 Posted 22/03/2021 at 03:26:44
Yes, Mike, that was a legitimate goal by West Ham but, if that had been one of our goalkeepers who let the ball pass between his feet, he would have been slaughtered here on TW (and rightly so).
Dave Abrahams
155 Posted 22/03/2021 at 16:40:16
Mike (153), fair enough Mike, keep your eye on the ball and forget about the whistle, a bit sneaky, though I wouldn't complain if we did it!!