Dominic Calvert-Lewin is only on the bench as Southgate goes with Kane, Foden and Sterling as his strike force for England's match in Albania this evening.

Meanwhile, it is Burnley's Nick Pope currently occupying the first-choice England goalkeeper as Jordan Pickford recovers from his current injury.

Elsewhere, Lucas Digne played the full 90 minutes for France as they won 2-0 away to Kazakhstan.

Reader Comments (7)

Michael Kenrick
1 Posted 28/03/2021 at 18:37:22
In the pre-match twaddle, the 'pundits' were salivating over the consummate quality now oozing from every pore of this England squad, with Gareth Southgate spoilt for choice in each position.

Yet, I still see the same boring football from the same inadequately trained Premier League players who can't properly trap or control or pass the ball half the time... Please tell me we have turned a corner and are now on the brink of an upward trajectory towards some higher standard with our much-hyped national team???

Danny O’Neill
2 Posted 28/03/2021 at 18:40:21
This is indeed a very dull affair, Michael. I watched France earlier. Don't get me wrong, they were guilty of getting carried away with forgetting the basics because they knew they were superior. They could have easily won that 4 or 5-0.

Digne played in a very high and very wide position. Almost as a wing back.

Looking forward to Romania v Germany later, but I already think France are the team to beat.

Kieran Kinsella
3 Posted 28/03/2021 at 18:45:08
BBC had a false headline stating that Pope is now ahead of Pickford as the England number one based on Southgate saying "Pope is in goal today. He has been playing well."
Kieran Kinsella
4 Posted 28/03/2021 at 18:51:55
Georgia almost nicked a point off Spain.
Danny O’Neill
5 Posted 28/03/2021 at 21:28:28
A Germany team very much in transition but still very German and efficient.
Rob Halligan
6 Posted 28/03/2021 at 21:41:32
Only saw the second half of the England game, as I was watching the England cricket game against India. From what I saw though, I don't think I missed much in the first half.

Meanwhile, watching England U21s against Portugal. Got a scare when Ben Godfrey went down clutching his ankle after a Portuguese player's face somehow made contact with Ben's foot... Thankfully he's okay.

Danny O’Neill
7 Posted 28/03/2021 at 22:09:01
The England U-21s being proclaimed the world's best group of young players yesterday that have now lost their opening 2 games and no longer have qualification in their own hands?

Don't start me on the screwed grassroots not providing or producing the standard we want. In contrast, we overrate what we have, only to have reality hit us in the face. It happens at club level and at national level.

Fix the grassroots!