Continuing with the theme that football was certainly alive and kicking before the TV companies hijacked it, I have endeavoured to capture some of the highlights since I first visited Goodison Park in 1948 as a 10-year-old schoolboy.

Season 1970-71

Attendances on the opening day of the season were 32,000 up on the previous year.

Brentford's match against Lincoln City in August, was held up for 45 minutes when a goalpost broke. A week later, a goalpost snapped again, in Swindon's game against Millwall.

Carlisle's squad was so depleted on 5 September that they had to name their chief scout as the substitute for the match against Leyton Orient.

Ernie Tagg, the Crewe Alexandra manager, decided that a younger man should take charge of the team, so he sacked himself.

Rodney Marsh shaved off his beard to appear more dignified, when he captained QPR for the first time on 8 October.

Bobby Moore's thunderous clearance for West Ham on 14 November scored a direct hit on the referee and knocked him out. Moore promptly took the referee's whistle and blew to stop the game.

Mid-week evening games were suspended because of the miners' strike, clubs were also allowed to start their Saturday games at 2:15 pm.

Season 1971-72

Chelsea beat Jeunesse Hautcharage by a record 21-0 on aggregate in the European Cup-Winner's Cup, including a 13-0 win at Stamford Bridge. Peter Osgood broke another record by scoring eight goals in the tie.

Leeds United called off a £170,000 deal to buy Asa Hartford from West Bromwich Albion when a medical showed that he had a possible hole in the heart. However, Manchester City had no reservations and bought him in 1974; Hartford played for them 184 times and scored 22 goals.

David Webb took over in goal for an hour when Peter Bonetti injured his ankle during Chelsea's match with Coventry City on 18 December. Then, on 27 December, he played the entire match in goal because both of Chelsea's regular keepers were unfit. He did remarkably well as Chelsea drew the first game 1-1 and won the second 2-0 against Ipswich Town.

Ted McDougall scored a record nine goals when Bournemouth beat [Southern League] Margate 11-0 in the first round of the FA Cup.

Season 1972-73

Bobby Moore celebrated his 100th international appearance by leading England to a 5-0 win over Scotland at Hampden Park. The game, part of the Scottish FA's centenary celebrations, was England's biggest victory in Scotland since 1888.

It was decided at the League's annual meeting in June that, for the following season, three up and three down promotion and relegation would be introduced for the top three divisions; calls for four teams to be promoted and relegated were rejected.

Peter Swan resumed his career with Sheffield Wednesday, 8 years after being banned for life in a match-fixing scandal.

Huddersfield Town went down to the Third Division for the first time in their history, it was the second year in a row that they had been relegated.

Season 1973-74

Chris Balderstone was stripped of the captaincy of Carlisle United in August when he decided to continue playing County cricket until the end of the season, and thus missed his football team's opening matches.

Birmingham City paid a record fee for a goalkeeper, £100,000 when they bought Gary Sprake from Leeds United.

Bobby Moore moved from West Ham United to Fulham for £25,000 in March because he wanted a new challenge.

Three different players took the same penalty for Notts County against Portsmouth and they all failed to score, The first kick had to be retaken because the goalkeeper moved, the second kick had to be retaken because it had been taken before the referee's signal and the third one was missed.

Bob Latchford joined Everton from Birmingham City in exchange for Howard Kendall and Archie Styles and £80,000, the total value of the deal was put at a record £350,000.

Jack Charlton, in his first year as a manager, guided Middlesbrough to the Second Division championship, they won the title by a record 15 points.

Denis Law made a record 54th appearance for Scotland on 11 May cin the 1-0 defeat to Northern Ireland.

Season 1974-75

John Lyall replaced Ron Greenwood as the West Ham United manager in August. Strangely, the club said, "Ron Greenwood has not been demoted, but John will be in charge of the first team for the rest of the season."

Ian Scanlon scored a hat-tick in 2 minutes 45 seconds for Notts County against Sheffield Wednesday, it was the second fastest hat-trick in the Football League's history.

Peter Shilton's transfer from Leicester City to Stoke City set a world record fee of £325,000 for a goalkeeper.

When Alan Ball and Bob McNab were sent off against Derby County in February it was only the second time that two players from the same team had been sent off during a League match, the other occasion in 1967, also involved two Arsenal players.

Denis Law retired rather than play reserve team football for Manchester City he said, "I always wanted to call it a day while I am still at the top"

Season 1975-76

The Football League decided to switch from goal average to goal difference at the start of next season, but they rejected an idea to award bonus points depending on the number of goals a team scored.

Numbered boards to signal substitutions were used in England for the first time at the Charity Shield game, when Derby County beat West Ham United 2-0.

Pat Jennings broke Tottenham's appearance record in October when he played his 419th League game for the club, Jennings also broke the Northern Ireland record with 61 caps. Another goalkeeper Peter Bonetti, also passed a milestone when he made his 500th appearance for Chelsea in November.

Three players were sent off in the space of four minutes in the match between Brentford and Rochdale on 5 December.

Trevor Anderson scored a hat-trick of penalties for Swindon Town against Walsall on 24 April; the last time anybody had scored three times from the spot was in 1957.

Season 1976-77

Chelsea facing a financial crisis asked their fans to sponsor the club at the start of the season.

George Best scored after 71 seconds when he made his debut for Fulham on 4 September.

Willie Johnston of West Bromwich Albion was sent off for the 10th time in his career when he attempted to kick the referee during the match against Brighton on 22 September, he was suspended for 5 games for bringing the game into disrepute.

Red and yellow cards were introduced in the Football League on 2 October.

Derby County's purchase of Derek Hales from Charlton Athletic for £280,000 made Hales the most expensive to leave the Second Division.

Arsenal lost their seventh League game in a row on 12 March, their worst ever sequence in the League.

Bobby Moore announced his retirement on 20 March.

Laurie Cunningham became the first black player to be picked by England when he was named in the Under-21 squad in April.

Acknowledgement
Chris Nawrat & Steve Hutchings: Illustrated History Of Football.

Reader Comments (27)

Andy Crooks
1 Posted 29/03/2021 at 20:24:53
Good to hear from you, John. Will be having a cup of tea and a fig roll while I enjoy your article.

Danny O’Neill
2 Posted 29/03/2021 at 23:08:44
I've been waiting for the next instalment, John Senior!

Now you are into an era where I was alive but don't quite recall as, being a 1971 baby, these were my formative years!!

I had read about Howard going in the opposite direction to Latchford, but now you mention, I am curious. So, a genuine question to those around at the time old enough to judge, did the club make a mistake or was Kendall past his best? Did it fit the narrative I have often heard that we broke up the 69-70 title winning team too early?

Really interesting to see the firsts around 3 teams up and down and I never knew red and yellow cards only came into the picture as late as 1976-77. What did we do before?

Finally, you mention something that some of us discussed elsewhere; the calibre of British keepers in this era. Jennings, Shilton, Bonetti. I said previously, dare I add Clemence to that gang? A golden era of keepers but Jennings was tops for me.

As always, thanks for the insight, John. Part 5 I will be able to start having an opinion rather than asking questions!!

Don Alexander
3 Posted 29/03/2021 at 00:17:25
By heck John, that's a good read. In those years I went to ANY match at all but read Goal, Shoot and Football Monthly avidly. Some of the events and names you cite stir pleasant memories, nearly forgotten. Thanks!

And Danny, I'm 66 so my opinion of the demise of the 1970 team has to take account of all that was happening to me as a sixteen year-old in 1971 and following seasons.

That said, we sold Ball and Kendall and Johnson to teams where they thrived. We sold our current England left-back, Keith Newton, to Burnley (a top side at the time). This meant we relied on the stellar careers of left backs Terry Darracott and/or Archie Styles to improve on him. They didn't, at all.

We also signed Rod Belfitt, Dave Clements, Joe Harper and various other non-entities to improve the team after selling our best and guess what, they didn't, at all.

Usually I cite Kenwright as the culprit but on this occasion I'd just like to know the identity of the lummox who caused our early 70's decline (leading to a whole ONE decade - oh, the pain, genuinely! - of further inertia), before asking what Kenwright must have seen in him as an inspiration.

And on 'keepers, apart from those you mentioned, Phil Parkes (QPR/West Ham) and Jim Montgomery (Sunderland) were also regularly brilliant.

Derek Thomas
4 Posted 30/03/2021 at 01:52:41
Good stuff John, giggled a few memories there. It surprised me that some of those things we take for granted now like numbered boards for Subs came in that early.

Huddersfield; promoted and down into the 3rs Div in the space of 4 seasons. Its all about the 'Chemistry' of building a side that all fitted together, sometimes it just goes...then - for what ever reason the board sell off, were made offers the can't refuse / short term gain(?) a third of the team, Cherry, Worthington, Ellam(?) then they fooled us into buying Lawson.
Yet another of Harry's buy them because they had a good game against us mistakes...Ernie Hunt, Henry Newton, Bernie Wright.

Danny @ 2; Short Version; Was Kendall sold too early? - Yes !
Catterick and to an extent Bingham, were children of the 40s and 50s...you were finished at 30.

Of course that still applies up to a point now...look at the differnce between the attitudes and career length of Rooney Vs Ronaldo.

But football and football players were changing.

Good genes...see Lampards Junior and Senior...Better diet, general health, even the advent of the better medical care the welfare state brought, coupled with post war medical advances, meant some players could play on until their mid 30s. They could use their football brains and natural fitness, coupled with a good attitude, to adapt their game.

Box to box players who scored goals, Collins, Ball, B. Robson, might not have the lungs to get repeatedly up and down the field and score 16 a season like they did at 23.
But rather, using their heads, would pick when - and when not to put in a lung buster and only score 7 or 8 a season...but create through balls for others.
And thus Collins and Ball became proto-modern midfielders

Flying / tricky wingers - Charlton, Terry Paine, Bryan Douglas, Callaghan, Best, maybe lost a yard of pace that made them uncatchable at 22. But by the time they were, 27, 28 30, they were top mid fielders.

In the early 70s, Best and Kendall both kept their teams from being relegated on their own.
Kendall stuck at it at Everton...even with poor additions to the squad they stayed out of danger.

United, similarly beset by poor replacements, had Best playing at No.10. He gave it up, they went down...a bit more to it than that, but in essence that was what happened.

Anybody who saw Kendall as a player manager for those few games, could see, even then, he was the best player on the pitch.

Catterick had his faults...One was - anybody who argued with him was gone as soon as Catterick (mostly mistakenly) though he could do without them as a player; Collins, Vernon, Young, Gabriel...or in Balls case if he could double his money, whilst getting rid of a player who was a devisive Capt, whose form and goals had slipped and...allegedly, had a gambling problem.

Binghams problem was Kendall was one of the 'old school' from the glory years and 28...and looking down the slippery slope to 30.

In effect swap him, a squad member (sorry Archie) and 80 grand for the best centre forward in England...where do I sign??.

Rambled on a bit there, but you get the gist.

Danny O’Neill
5 Posted 30/03/2021 at 07:50:13
Thanks, Don & Derek.

I love the bit about using the brain. Many a debate in the pub and on here regarding that very subject.

I recently watched the Barcelona "Take the ball, pass the ball" documentary. For someone like me, some gems in there, citing it isn't always about the speed in the legs, but the speed in the ball and / or in the brain (not direct quotes but context).

I also watched a great programme on Toni Kroos. One of the individuals who worked with him as a youngster remarks on how he didn't have anything particularly special. Wasn't big, wasn't powerful, wasn't fast and didn't do the spectacular. But he had a footballing brain that put him yards ahead of those around him. Not up there with the greatest, but a great player of his generation.

The conditioning and looking after yourself thing is key to a player prolonging their career and the Rooney - Ronaldo example is perfect testimony to that. Closer to home and less spectacular, but David Weir springs to mind?

There's also an element of where you play on the pitch and style of play. Centre-backs and holding or deep-lying playmaking midfielders will not only peak later, but can play at the top of their game way into their 30s. Whereas a pacey striker or winger, who relies not just on pace but the explosiveness of acceleration, will fade around 30 unless, as you say, they can adapt their game.

Alasdair Jones
6 Posted 30/03/2021 at 10:45:09
Many thanks for this John. Great read and stimulates many memories of football in an age that for many of us was more interesting.

Danny @2. You may find a partial explanation of the demise of the 1970's team in my earlier article, Decline and Fall, posted on 29.04.2020.

Thanks again John.

Danny O’Neill
7 Posted 30/03/2021 at 10:52:03
Thanks Alisdair. I will look that up.
Dave Abrahams
8 Posted 30/03/2021 at 11:26:38
Nice to see back John, getting worried about you not being active on Tofffeeweb, Ted McDougall scoring those nine goals in the FA cup, easy day for me to remember, it was the day Everton beat Southampton 8-0 on a snowbound pitch.

The Bob Latchford transfer was a deal that always surprised me as being a record deal, even though it was classed as such, it meant that Kendall, still a very good player, and Styles were valued at £270, 000, a bit of an uplift on their real valuation at the time. It also surprised me that we only got six years out of Howard the first time round, what an exceptional brilliant player he was for us.

Danny O’Neill
9 Posted 30/03/2021 at 11:38:02
I just read the Match of the Day article on the BBC about hardest players. Some differences of opinion about the pecking order, but they were unanimous in the number 1; our very own Duncan Ferguson!!

It's relevance to this post? Naturally it was only the Premier League era. To John Senior's title, I bet there are a few pre-1992 contenders!!

John McFarlane Snr
10 Posted 30/03/2021 at 15:01:43
Hi Andy [1] I hope you enjoyed your 'cuppa and fig-roll' and I trust that you also enjoyed the article. I'm looking forward to the next get-together. If I'm still around I have set my sights on being at the last game at Goodison and the first game at Bramley Moore, although my preference would be to name it Trinity Park.

Hi Danny [2] yes the club did make a mistake with the Howard Kendall transfer, but it was a sort of double edged sword situation. Latchford was a natural goal scorer, and if he and Joe Royle had been able to play together more often I believe that they would have formed a formidable duo. I recall there being Midland's newspaper that featured a player of the month award which Kendall virtually dominated, and when he moved to Stoke City his top class performances continued.

Hi Don [3] I'm pleased that you enjoyed the article, and you're right to question the decision to allow players of a high calibre to leave the club. I fear that we the fans, will never get to know the truth behind such dealings.

Hi Derek [4] you will no doubt appreciate that I could have included many more snippets, but one that I passed over was from the 1976-77 season and it reads, "Terry Paine announced his retirement in October after having played 806 League matches, his 'Final Match' was against his first club, Southampton. Paine, however came out of retirement the next month to try to help Hereford avoid relegation, he finally quit at the end of the season having played 824 League games"

Hi Dave [8] thanks for your concern, I have been considering signing up for the 'Matchday Forum' and I was wondering if you think I have the required credentials.

Dave Abrahams
11 Posted 30/03/2021 at 19:45:22
John (10), if you mean The Live Forum, you have the credentials certainly, but I doubt it would be your cup of tea, very much doubt it!!
Bill Watson
12 Posted 30/03/2021 at 21:33:51
I really enjoyed that, John, and it brought back some great memories.

I thought we got the best from the Latchford deal but was sorry to see Kendall and Styles going the other way.

Everyone's aware of (or heard of) Kendall's qualities and I felt we could have got many years more out of him.

Archie Styles was an outstanding prospect at left back; quick, strong and skillful. I thought he would have a great career and go on to play for England but he seemed to disappear after a couple of years. I have a B/blues friend; I'll ask him Styles.

Bill Watson
13 Posted 30/03/2021 at 22:49:36
My Brummie Blue friend says Styles was targeted by the boo boys as they weren't too pleased with losing Latchford.

He was there for four years before moving to Peterborough United,

Andy Crooks
14 Posted 30/03/2021 at 23:34:12
I thoroughly enjoyed your article, John, plus the comments on it.

Trevor Anderson, now there's a name from the past. I believe he was, like anyone from Northern Ireland with long hair, briefly hailed as the new George Best.

Chris Balderstone, a man who, even by the undemanding standards back then, accumulated runs at a pace that made Chris Tavare look like Ben Stokes.

Asa Harford, described by David Coleman I believe, as a "whole- hearted" player.

Willie Johnston, who was subsequently sent home in disgrace from Argentina, and then further humiliated by receiving a dressing down from, of all people, Frank Bough.
Derek Hales had a beard which was actually quite remarkable at the time until Ricky Villa arrived and made it seem quite exotic and cool. (I attempted one myself but gave up when it remained unnoticed after several weeks.)

It was very much an era of would-be Bests: Charlie Cook, the Morgan brothers, the aforementioned Anderson.

Don@ 3,

I loved that stuff, though Football Monthly was a bit high brow! Do you recall the one with the football comic stories, it might have been "Score"? Jack of United and Jimmy of City, rival brothers. Billy's Boots, in which young Billy Dane discovers the boots of the late Dead Shot Kean (a nickname for our PSG loanee??) and players like him. (Whose boots is Newcastle's Joelinton wearing?) A team called Everpool.

Wally Brand, Raven on the wing, Limp along Leslie (no disabilty discrimination in those days). Bernard Briggs (the no-goal goalie). Not many remember that Briggs represented England at the World Cup, played in every game including the final and never conceded a goal. Yet he ended up with a loser's medal on the toss of a coin. Diabolical liberty if you ask me.
You know what, when I reminisce the real heroes and the comic ones all become one. Legends of good old days that maybe weren't that good.

Did Pat Jennings really catch a cross with one hand and throw the ball the length of the pitch into Liverpool's net at the Kop End? Of course he did, I remember it well.

Don Alexander
15 Posted 31/03/2021 at 00:32:56
Andy, after a lovely day boozing (heavily) in the garden with good friends your post reminds me of the Valiant comic of the 60's. Apart from Captain Hurricane and his tiny batman "Maggot" Malone (BoJo probably still gets off on reading about them) the comic also had a weekly story about ("Ted") Legge's Eleven". Ted Legge was the skipper of a motley crew of stereotypical footballers who always, eventually, won as a result of the fantastical magic displayed by one or two members of the team.

The centre-forward was the Frenchman, Pierre Gaspard. He made Cantona look like a donkey, but I'm certain that Duncan McKenzie took to him lock, stock and barrel.

Anyway, nurse has just brought me my tablets, so good night folks!

Dave Abrahams
16 Posted 31/03/2021 at 11:15:54
Andy (14),

You read some comics back then, must have cost you a fortune! The only fella I remember was Limp Along Leslie, what a player he was if you had a good imagination to put the words into action. I think I tried to play with a limp after reading the comic sometimes. It never worked, I was slow enough as it was!!

John McFarlane Snr
17 Posted 31/03/2021 at 11:37:07
Hi Dave[11] that was my feeble attempt at sarcasm, I don't think that the live forum is the place for an easily offended, old aged 'Snowflake'.

Hi Bill [12] I'm pleased to know that you enjoyed my trip down 'Memory Lane', it keeps me out of mischief, and can as you say, bring back some long forgotten memories.

Hi Andy [14] when it comes to beards, Jack Chisolm's of Plymouth Argyle took some beating. I'm pleased to learn that you enjoyed the article, and as I said to Bill [12] it keeps me out of mischief. There will be parts 5 and 6 to come which will take us up to the last season of the Football League, as it was.

John McFarlane Snr
18 Posted 31/03/2021 at 11:48:08
HI again Dave [17] surely you must remember Nick Smith and Baldy Hogan, I think they featured in "Its Goals that count" in the Hotspur, or possibly the Wizard. Father Time is rapidly catching up with me, so don't bet on me being right.
Rob Dolby
19 Posted 31/03/2021 at 12:38:01
Some characters in football during that era.

The dammed United was on telly the other night. A fantastic football film with some great actors.

The Jackie Charlton documentary was also an emotional watch.

The characters must still be there in football today but are media managed to only drip feed us the positive stuff.
Joe Hart's "job done" tweet after spurs getting a thrashed last week gave us all a chortle and insight into the relationship between most top flight footballers and the public.

Len Hawkins
20 Posted 31/03/2021 at 12:38:12
Some fantastic memories there, had to laugh at Colemanballs "Asa Hartford is a whole-hearted player". Nearly as good as the pot black gaffe "for you watching in black & white the blue is behind the brown".
Funnily enough (not Football related) yesterday I was thinking about Hopalong Cassidy and what todays kids would think about that, and then up pops Limp Along Lesley. By the age of 4 today you can fly helicopters blast everyone with machine guns and kill scores of the enemy with graphic colour and sound all on your telly, whatever happened to Muffin the Mule and Andy Pandy.
John Raftery
21 Posted 31/03/2021 at 14:41:14
Another great article John. You always offer something new and thought provoking. Catterick’s final season, 1972/73, started well but was kiboshed by Joe Royle’s back injury in October. It was Howard Kendall who almost singlehandedly kept us out of a relegation battle that season. He was by some distance our best player after Ball left in December 1971 but was too often surrounded by mediocrity with other survivors of the 1970 team, Tommy Wright, Colin Harvey and Jimmy Husband increasingly injury prone.

Bingham’s arrival arrested the decline but the new manager was faced with a dilemma in fathoming how to strengthen what was now at best a mid-table squad. Both Howard and Colin Harvey suffered injuries at Derby County in September 1973 and were ruled out for many months. When Howard recovered in early 1974 he was one of the few marketable players on the books and at his peak. Bingham rightly considered it imperative to strengthen the attack but proven strikers were at a premium with clubs extremely reluctant to lose their best. Catterick had tried and failed to find cheap, and not so cheap, solutions such as Bernie Wright, Rod Belfitt and Joe Harper while being forced to sell Alan Whittle and David Johnson. He desperately needed to bring in a top quality striker.

Latchford was one of the very few strikers around of proven talent, in his early twenties with the potential to improve. Birmingham had a very strong attack with Trevor Francis and Bob Hatton also in their squad but lacked quality in midfield. So the transfer deal provided a solution to Birmingham’s problem in midfield and a solution to our problems in attack. It did however leave a gaping hole in terms of the quality of our midfield. That was resolved shortly after the start of season 1974/75 when we signed Martin Dobson for £300,000. It was Latchford and Dobson who spearheaded the title challenge that year.

Brian Murray
22 Posted 31/03/2021 at 16:06:57
What’s so startling about the tail end of the Catts career is his judgment in replacing class players with the like of Harper and Bernie the bolt. The likes of full backs sergeant Bernard and tiger mc really cemented our demise as a force while them other showe where finding gems from Northampton and Sc**thorpe with keegan neal etc. Terrible scoring or just Everton that. Painful decade growing up and going week in week out. Big Bob gave a bit of joy but not quite enough because as he said in his book we could of had two titles with a decent goalie.
Brian Murray
23 Posted 31/03/2021 at 16:17:52
Terrible scouting in the 70s I meant
Dave Abrahams
24 Posted 31/03/2021 at 16:39:41
John (17 and 18), Jack Chisholm, what a rough customer he was,he had a few bouts with Davie Hickson, with Davie pulling his beard to wind him up, think Davie scored two in that 8-4 game the year we won promotion.

Don’t remember those characters John, from the comics, although Baldy Hogan rings a bell.

Brian (22), yes I think Harry Catterick, my favourite manager, had lost his touch, doubt if he was scouting some of those players himself at that stage, John ‘tiger’ McLaughlin was a strange signing, we got him from Falkirk, I heard a story that it was six weeks after we signed him before his wife found out where he had got to, he just did the off from Scotland without telling her where he was!!

John McFarlane Snr
25 Posted 31/03/2021 at 17:25:25
Hi Dave [24] I have just done a bit of research and it appears that Baldy Hogan was in the adventure, and Nick Smith was in the Rover.
Dave Abrahams
26 Posted 31/03/2021 at 17:38:17
John (25), I used to get those two comics now and again, they were a bit highbrow for me, stuck with The Dandy and Beano along with Radio Fun and Film Fun.
Peter Mills
27 Posted 02/04/2021 at 15:15:20
The day we sold Howard Kendall was the day I vowed never to go to Goodison again. My Dad told me not to be so daft.