Having had limited success with the last ToffeeWeb Golf Outing at Frodsham Golf Club, I am trying to initially 'put the feelers out' to see what sort of numbers may wish to take part. If I can't get sufficient numbers, it is not worth it. The last one generated considerable interest, but on the day only 9 actually turned up. Where there is catering involved, these absentees have to be paid for by either the Organiser or those who do turn up, which is not fair at all.

I have not got an actual date as such yet, because of the reasons already stated, but it will be in September. With Covid restrictions being slowly eased and lifted, foreign travel is still a bit vague and, dare I say it, a bit risky too, depending on which Country is chosen.

Tentatively again, it will most likely be Aldersey Green Golf Club, or Huyton and Prescot Golf Club as the chosen venue; both are fairly near motorways and easily accessible. Also, both do decent catering, the form of which (should we get the numbers) will be bacon butties or breakfast with coffee or tea prior to the first Tee-Off. Then a three-course or substantial meal on completion.

The competition will be light-hearted, to say the least, and more about people meeting or playing with a familiar name, but a new face. Again depending on numbers, there may well be some sort of Stableford Competition, a nearest the pin (par 3s). If no-one has an Official Handicap, that's not a problem, you will be assessed as 18, can't go higher, to eliminate possible 'banditry'.

Finally, the last one saw the majority attend from well outside the Merseyside area, including Surrey, Aberystwyth, and Canada via St Helens, so please let's have a better turnout from those in the area. You will enjoy the day, but I can't (obviously) guarantee the weather. Any questions or queries, either air them on this thread or of a more private nature ring/text me Derek Knox on 07565 140075, please state your name, query and return contact detail if by some reason it goes to voicemail/answerphone.

Please let me know as well by showing genuine interest so I can assess the numbers, by just saying on the thread. Thanks for reading thus far.

Reader Comments (79)

1 Posted 08/04/2021 at 12:46:08
Thanks to he Ed's for posting this notice.

Reading back through, I meant to say, that should sufficient numbers be interested, it is intended to take place either August OR September. Ray Roche will be helping to organise this with me, especially if Huyton and Prescot is the preferred venue. Could you all please, if interested, state which Course you prefer, as that will make things easier to arrange one way or another. Both courses are reasonably flat with slight undulations, so walkable for the majority, Aldersey is not particularly difficult (?) but there are a lot ponds and streams, which could come into play (wayward shots) on 14 holes.

2 Posted 08/04/2021 at 12:59:14
Meant to add too, that should anyone require a Buggy, they do have several at Aldersey Green GC, but again these have to be booked in advance, so please let me know well in advance. I'm not so sure about Huyton and Prescot on the Buggy situation, but I'm pretty sure they will have some, but again the same applies, regarding Booking in advance once we have the numbers, the venue, and the date arranged.
Thomas Richards
3 Posted 08/04/2021 at 13:49:22
Has anyone secured the catering contract for the golf day Derek?
4 Posted 08/04/2021 at 14:09:10
Thomas, thanks for your enquiry, but I do know that both Aldersey and Huyton and Prescot, did it in-house as most established Golf Clubs did. However, as with most businesses Covid has changed a lot of accepted practices. I have been out to a few Golf Courses since the re-opening, and there NO Toilet facilities even at some, believe it or not!

Yes, they do have them, and locker/changing/shower rooms etc, however such are things with this Covid that no-one is prepared to take chances, at the moment or as it stands. However if it is that we get the numbers required (at least 12) and the Clubs concerned have changed their facilities, I will as in ' Oliver ' Review the Situation, and you Sir will be informed by Mr Bumble in person! 😋

Dave Abrahams
5 Posted 08/04/2021 at 14:33:07
Derek (4), I think Thomas (3), is after the catering contract Derek, he has his own portable Al Fresco cafe capably run by his Italian manager Giuseppe, who I can personally recommend and is cheap but very, very nutritious, that ‘s the food not Giuseppe. If you get the contract Thomas I would be willing to give Gyp a hand, if I am free on the day.
Thomas Richards
6 Posted 08/04/2021 at 14:45:40
Thanks Derek.
Im aware of the situation re toilet facilities.
No need for any concern on your part there.
I have 5 strategically placed mop buckets at the back of my mobile establisment.

Dave, thanks for the offer.
I will need a hand mate, ive had to let Guiseppe.
He got his fingers caught in the meat slicer.
Ive had to let her go as well..

7 Posted 08/04/2021 at 15:07:10
Just another little addendum, I fully intend this to be a fun day out, and want all who attend to really enjoy themselves, but at the same time observing the etiquette associated with behaviour, and dress on the course, replacing divots, repairing pitch-marks etc. No jeans, denims, jogging or cargo pants, or football tops as such, unless tailored polo ones with EFC on. If sunny (hope so), tailored shorts are fine, but may need long pants to dine, or use the Clubhouse Bars (again, if Open). Basically common sense applies, in addition to the given and accepted Rules of Golf and their Associated Clubs.
Dave Abrahams
8 Posted 08/04/2021 at 15:50:25
Thomas (6), thanks for that it will get me out of the house and the few Bob will come in handy, got my own waiters gear so will look quite smart and befitting, considering I will be looking after the golfing fraternity, I won’t let you down.

I’m very surprised Gyp turned out to be a rotter and surprised he was targeting a lady, he had his hands on his hip quite a lot even when he wasn’t carrying a tray, so thought he was a bit Kenneth Williams (ish) although there’s nothing wrong with that, in case I’ve offended any ToffeeWebbers, if you’re that way inclined it doesn’t make you a bad person!!

Thomas Richards
9 Posted 08/04/2021 at 16:06:18
Im shocked at that comment Dave.
Coming from a well travelled man such as yourself.
Im that shocked ive fell and broke one of my high heeels
Alan J Thompson
10 Posted 08/04/2021 at 16:13:41
I, too, am shocked, Dave. I mean, what's up with somebody wanting to play outside right?
Dave Abrahams
11 Posted 08/04/2021 at 16:32:51
Thomas (9), I hope you haven’t hurt yourself, take two paracetamol with a glass of water, then get back on to Derek I think he is weakening, you’ll get that contract, Oh and you can’t say I haven’t warned you about those high heels, at your age.

Alan (10), Yes you’re right, don’t know what came over me, I think it was the shock of finding out Gyp was a tea leaf, been with Thomas for years and Thomas treated him like son, Brent Stephens will be upset, he was awfully fond of Gyp!!

Thomas Richards
12 Posted 08/04/2021 at 16:50:25
I'm fine Dave.
Small amoroso and a slice of angel cake got me up and running.

I warned Guiseppe about knocking around with Brent.
A corrupting influence on a young man trying to make his way in the world.

Dave Abrahams
13 Posted 08/04/2021 at 17:23:17
Thomas (12) that’s good Thomas.

I know, that Brent, the way he comes on here like butter wouldn’t melt, don’t know what way the world’s going, think I’ll take two paracetamol myself.

Bill Gall
14 Posted 08/04/2021 at 17:30:53
That sounds like a fun day, not much of a golfer as my handicap is I can never get it passed the windmill or down the clowns mouth. Hope that the organizer can get a good turnout as with this covid 19 restrictions a day out with friends would be nice.
Brent Stephens
15 Posted 08/04/2021 at 17:47:11
Bloody hell, I'm away from TW for a couple of hours, washing my nets, and Father Abrahams has broken all rules of the confessional. Last time I go into his box.

Actually a golf day sounds great but with my bad back I'd need more than the 18 max handicap that Mr Starter is prescribing.

David Pearl
16 Posted 08/04/2021 at 17:51:51
It will be a great day and hopefully we can go in a hat and play best ball as l only hit 1 good shot in 3. Guess it depends on numbers.

Sept is good, would give me a few months to limber up. I just need a bigger EFC polo shirt after gaining weight over the last year.

Rob Halligan
17 Posted 08/04/2021 at 18:23:41
Derek # 7. When you say dress on the course, do you mean people actually play golf in their birthday suit?
18 Posted 08/04/2021 at 19:00:49
Rob, it wouldn't surprise me! It's a gentleman's game played by gentlemen, so there are few rules to abide by, exposed meat and two veg, is not allowed, it must be covered up, or in a pie! ⛳🏌️‍♀️
Christine Foster
19 Posted 08/04/2021 at 21:15:05
This thread is homophones and disgusting! The very idea that men can walk around a golf course playing golf whilst flaunting their meat and two veg is appalling!
I shall have to attend in order to register my complaint! Many times I hope!
20 Posted 08/04/2021 at 21:19:38
Christine you are welcome to attend, but I must insist on a handicap, in your case a blindfold! :-)
Christine Foster
21 Posted 08/04/2021 at 21:23:27
Interesting comments too about wearing heels whilst playing golf. It should be remembered that doing so affects the wood driver and your swing, not having an iron in your hand can ultimately mean your swing is affected, especially in heels, ensuring your swing can slice either to the left or right, in fact, allowing you to swing both ways.
Brent Stephens
22 Posted 08/04/2021 at 21:25:16
Christine, "I shall have to attend in order to register my complaint! Many times I hope!"

I'm sure Derek can swing it for you!

Christine Foster
23 Posted 08/04/2021 at 21:26:46
Derek, thank you for your invitation, blindfolded is no handicap, I will feel my way around.
24 Posted 08/04/2021 at 21:41:50
Christine, I can almost feel you now feeling your way around, but you do deserve some reward for travelling all that way, I will arrange a free beverage and a pie especially for you, a meat and two veg one!

You will need balls too, in fact some spare ones as there is every likelihood you could lose some on the day, especially wearing a blindfold, as finding them will be an arduous task.

Thomas Richards
25 Posted 08/04/2021 at 21:41:56
As our expert down under I'm sure you could
Colin Glassar
26 Posted 08/04/2021 at 22:05:11
You’d need a magnifying glasses to spot anything, Christine.
Kieran Kinsella
27 Posted 08/04/2021 at 22:36:54
Trust Derek to host the first ToffeeWeb swingfest
Christine Foster
28 Posted 08/04/2021 at 22:49:07
Derek I can assure you I never have a problem as I take great delight taking a 9 iron to any errant balls. Are you sure you can last 18 holes? Perhaps a round of Crazy golf or phut phut is more appropriate? What a wheeze! Bit of a Put down though...
29 Posted 09/04/2021 at 02:43:32
Christine @ 21, I can assure you that anything swinging to the right, is definitely a 'slice', but on the other hand, if you persistently swing to the left, you will definitely be classed as a 'hooker', the latter, depending on the actual circumstances, is an arrestable offence.

I am only trying to introduce you to the correct 'golfing vernacular' next lesson will all be about holes, and how to negotiate them, especially if the groundsmen haven't recently cut the grass around the same, and it is known as a slightly 'hairy hole'.

You are also permitted, within the Rules of Golf, in certain situations 'take relief' which can, and usually is behind a tree, an erection, or a man made obstruction. It is in such event, also permitted, after informing your playing partners, that you are going to clean your balls, which you then appropriately mark and continue.

You are solely responsible for the maintenance of your 'own equipment' in which common sense should prevail. Though many Clubhouses will post notices reminding 'gentlemen, to please refrain from washing their balls in the sinks provided'. So just a few basic ground rules for you to inwardly digest, before you consider this day out is really suitable for you. :-)

30 Posted 09/04/2021 at 06:00:36
We are all having a good laugh here, which those that 'know me' understand I am all for, but at the same time this did start off seriously, and I hate to be boring, but hope that seriously we don't deviate too far away from the intended post.

I still desperately want to know who is
'genuinely interested' on turning up for what will be a Good Day's Golf, a chance to meet some of the well known names on TW, and a few 'characters too'. I am still collating information on both Cubs, and have contacted them to see if they can 'do a very best deal'. Remember the more we get in numbers, the better the chances that they will listen, and offer a one-off special price.

Also hope anyone reading, who attended the last one at Frodsham GC. I seem to recall we had a group photo, either before or after, but I have never seen it, or know whose phone it was on, it would have been nice to have added it to the header of this post. Maybe my mind is playing tricks on me, (goes with the grey hair), but I have been to so many different Golf Days, and organised a few too, maybe I am getting confused!

Also the more we get, the more we can incorporate some sort of Stableford Competition, in addition to the nearest the pins, and possibly get the Host Club to help out with some small prizes. There won't be Holidays in Bermuda (possibly New Brighton, at Typhoid Mary's Guest House) or anything that extravagant. I must also interject that people who have gone to Mary's in the past, have looked a lot better than when they arrived, albeit in a wooden box!

Oh God, inadvertently back into comedy mode, sometimes I can't resist it, better than being miserable though! I am also hoping, again dependent on numbers, and according to Handicaps, to pair 'lows and highs' together as a team. Trust me if you are a high handicapper, you tend to focus more when playing alongside a more experienced player, and can often improve your Course Management skills, as you discuss between you, how to gain maximum points from a certain situation, whether it be combined scores, or better ball etc.

I am hoping (again there's a lot of hope involved here) that we WILL get sufficient numbers solely from TW Members, but if it looks like we are struggling. Friends of TW's may be permitted to increase the numbers, but again that is a last resort, but basically if they are Blues, it doesn't take a long initiation process to join TW, and it is quite painless initially.

Mike Gaynes
31 Posted 09/04/2021 at 06:46:29
I just think it's kinda beautiful that this idea would come up on the day Blue Tommy Fleetwood drilled a hole-in-one on the 16th at the Masters.
Christine Foster
32 Posted 09/04/2021 at 09:14:17
Derek my apologies for going out of bounds, I therefore insist you play through and concentrate on the event I urge all involved to attend and make it a day worth while to all ToffeeWeb er.
33 Posted 09/04/2021 at 09:57:50
Christine, thanks for your kind words, and an urgent appeal to get back to the matter in hand after many comical diversions, all in good banter of course. We shall all be thinking of you in NZ on the day, (if it ever gets off the ground), at least I will, especially in those difficult situations. I will be saying to myself 'now what would Christine do here?'
Rob Halligan
34 Posted 09/04/2021 at 10:08:09
Derek, you can put me down for the day. Huyton and Prescot is fine with me, only because I don’t know where Aldersey Green is, and Huyton is only about a ten minute drive away. Have you thought about Allerton Manor golf course? A cracking course with excellent restaurants and bar facilities. I’ve walked the course many times with the dog in the last few months due to the lockdown, so know every fairway, rough, bunkers and greens like the back of me hand! I even know where to go for a Geoff Hurst should the need arise. Not that any of this vastly gained knowledge would be any good for me as I’m certainly no Tommy Fleetwood! Fleetwood Mac could probably play better than me, but I’ll give it a go!
Brian Harrison
35 Posted 09/04/2021 at 10:39:55
Reading the comments I think many are likely to be shankers, I don't think they have any buggies at Huyton and Prescot GC.
Thomas Richards
36 Posted 09/04/2021 at 10:44:30
Never played a round of golf but would love to be part of this day.
Anyone looking for a caddy?
37 Posted 09/04/2021 at 11:40:34
Brian H, thanks for your comments and possible confirmation (?) about the buggy situation at H&P ( which I partly suspected ) I have played it several times when I was a Member of West Derby, by virtue of the reciprocal agreement, that WAS in place then, which must be about 11 years ago for me, before I left.

I moved out of the area, and was also involved with 3 Golf Societies at the time too, so I was paying a King's Ransom but hardly ever playing there (WDGC), so it was a decision that was easy to arrive at.

Aldersey Green is just outside Chester on the A41, CH3 9EH they are very experienced at Hosting Society Events and the Catering and all facilities, when in normal use, are excellent too. It is in an excellent location and not overlooked by any Houses, but you have to drive along millionaires row, before arriving at an impressive Driveway with ample parking for Golfers.

They have a sizeable number of Buggies too for those who require one, and I think they are reasonably priced (£ 12.50/15) if memory serves between two people! They have a Beer Type Garden and a Gazebo Structure, overlooking the eighteenth green, where you can enjoy post-game refreshments in the warmth of the Sun.

Thomas I'm sure someone will take you up on the Offer, but I will either have my Electric Golf Trolley or depending on my knees and ankle nearer the time, I may also opt for a Buggy.

Brian Harrison
38 Posted 09/04/2021 at 12:36:47
Derek,
I first joined WDGC in 1977 and I am still a member now, what years were you a member.
39 Posted 09/04/2021 at 13:28:29
Brian H, I joined in 2009, and left in 2011, I had always wanted to join there for a long time, but due to work commitments etc, it was impractical. I did attend quite often before that as a Guest though with a long time Member and friend Don (who's Surname escapes me at the moment) but he was the Port of Liverpool, Health Inspector, but sadly passed a few years ago.

Don drove an ageing Silver/Grey Mercedes, that we all often used to rib him about. We used to frequent Bas's Wine Bar in Aigburth as our local then. God, memories are flooding back already. I believe it is now called the Fulwood Arms as it has changed hands several times since Bas, who also died, and it was left to his sons, who had little or no Interest in it.

Ironic that after wishing to join for so long, my stay was one of brevity due to reasons already stated. My friend and fellow golfing TW'er Ray Roche, has a brother at WDGC and has been, for many years but I can't recall ever playing with him, or meeting him. Like I said I am hopeless with names, but faces, poetry, history, geography, to name but a few, funnily enough, I tend not to forget.

Jay Harris
40 Posted 09/04/2021 at 14:45:40
Derek,
I have absolutely no interest in golf but would like to compliment you on lightening the mood of ToffeeWebbers with a great idea and a fun thread.

Recent events and posts have been so depressing it is a refreshing change to see some lighthearted banter and a bevy of political incorrectness.

Great job.

Gerry Quinn
41 Posted 09/04/2021 at 15:23:52
Will have to see what the months ahead bring, and would love to play...however, I wonder if anyone else has their clubs engraved with their Club? Namely, Tommy Fleetwood has got Everton FC engraved - and has just had his second hole-in-one within the last fortnight...some of the Everton fan comments are priceless

42 Posted 09/04/2021 at 15:44:03
Jay H, Thanks for your kind words and offer of help, which is sadly needed, you'd think I was trying to get volunteers to try my New Guillotine out, not organise a Golf Day. It's like pulling hen's teeth with a pair of 24" Stilsons! Any sensible and physically possible suggestions are always welcome.

Of course Golf Clubs do have Rules and Etiquette which may seem silly to the non-golfing fraternity but there is some measure of reason, and justification behind them. I have organised a few (not on TW) and always wanted to do a Fancy Dress Golf Day with hopefully a Charity benefitting in some way or another.

Sounds fun, etc but doubt whether any Clubs would allow it, not only does it breach any dress codes but depending on what you turned up in, could make playing almost an impossibility which could threaten the safety of others. Imagine, a very inebriated WC Fields trying to play with spats, and a Top Hat on, or a Roman Emperor with sword and helmet and a skimpy toga in a biting wind. I wince at the very thought of it, especially if I happened to be WC Fields or Caligula !

I dare say someone may need a ball attendant, who would be responsible for the cleanliness of the aforementioned golf essentials, and require scrubbing and cleaning regularly during a game. The Masters is currently in progress, and don't know whether you watch or not, but you won't catch anyone at Augusta with soiled or dirty balls. Thanks Jay! :-)

43 Posted 09/04/2021 at 15:48:37
Gerry Q, great to see or hear from you again mate, I didn't know our Tommy had EFC engraved on his Clubs and I watch Golf all the time. There may may a few of our lot turn up with engraved Clubs though, like ' Stolen form Southport Pitch and Putt '!
Brent Stephens
44 Posted 09/04/2021 at 17:31:11
"There may may a few of our lot turn up with engraved Clubs though, like ' Stolen form Southport Pitch and Putt '!"

Oi, Knox, I don't like the implication.

I'd be interested in playing, Derek, but have to say the fairway and me are normally strangers.

45 Posted 09/04/2021 at 17:42:10
Brent, like all others you will be more than welcome, like I said at the beginning we won't be playing for either the Green Jacket, (maybe a Blue One) or qualification for the next Ryder Cup. It's intended first and foremost to be experienced as an enjoyable Day Out, and a chance to meet 'people you have known for years' but never met.

It's not the winning, it's the taking part, that counts. Any prizes will be of smallish value, but will be a bonus on the day. Although I have heard that Farmer Joskins is thinking of donating a live pig as the first prize. Try explaining that one to the Mrs, as you go through the front door. Look what I won love!

Mark Murphy
46 Posted 09/04/2021 at 17:44:54
This is a true story.
When I first took up golf I had a second hand set of clubs that served me well. A mate of mine, from the Wirral, lived in Chertsey near where I lived at the time and I had a couple of rounds with him. After a while he presented me with a ping five as a gift and I was over whelmed with gratitude at such a valuable gift. Anyway I few weeks later we went to his local driving range to hit a few balls. When I pulled out the ping 5 he went red and said ffs murph don't use that one here! Then I noticed several ping irons at the back of the bays and that they all had a long number stamped on the head. On Further inspection I saw that my ping 5 had the same number. The cnut had nicked one of their sample clubs and made out he'd bought it for me!
Brent Stephens
47 Posted 09/04/2021 at 17:46:59
Derek, put my name down. Thomas can caddy for me if he’s prepared to walk twice the length of the course.
Rob Halligan
48 Posted 09/04/2021 at 18:06:18
Derek's dress code sounds worse than dining with the captain of the titanic! I fully intended turning up in a pair of jeans, Everton top and a pair of trainees!!
Tony Abrahams
49 Posted 09/04/2021 at 18:12:34
I thought you was gonna tell us he had sold it to you cheap then Mark!
Thomas Richards
50 Posted 09/04/2021 at 18:12:36
Thanks Brent.

I will start training tomorrow.

Rob Halligan
51 Posted 09/04/2021 at 18:19:51
Don't forget Thomas, you will have to clean Brents balls!
Thomas Richards
52 Posted 09/04/2021 at 18:26:34
Just nipping to asda for a chamois leather Rob.
Gerry Quinn
53 Posted 09/04/2021 at 19:09:34
Derek Knox, 43, yeah I have been really busy over the last few weeks concentrating on helping a local Aberdeenshire family break another Guinness World Record. Believe it or not, the two lads, Ollie 11 and Harry 9, have put a Playmobil plastic Pirate Ship off the coast of Guyana and it has sailed through the Caribbean, Gulf of Mexico and is currently in Miami. Being an ex-Hydrographic Surveyor, I have advised them regarding currents, weather, etc. Here is their page if anyone wants to sponsor or help us... https://www.facebook.com/tdajp/
Towards the end of this year we will be sending 2 wooden toy boats, HMS Erebus and HMS Terror, to the Antarctic to sail around Antarctica...need sponsors - anybody fancy being a Cabin Boy, like me?
Clive Davies
54 Posted 09/04/2021 at 20:48:22
Derek,

Been looking out for you at Augusta all day!!! Count me in and maybe try a Friday before a home game again.

As someone else mentioned Allerton is a decent venue with good bar to discuss everyone's birdies!!

55 Posted 09/04/2021 at 21:23:15
Gerry, you have got me fascinated with this mini-project, being an ex-Navy man. I will look it up, via your link. How big are these replicas, and what are they powered by? I assume some sort of Satellite Navigation system is employed. Are there mini-cameras or is it all by tracking to know what is going on?

Great too, to see kids doing something like that rather than playing on a PS (whatever number they are up to) they will learn a lot from it. They have got a whole bunch of adults and sailors round the World, helping them, great again to see. Be interesting to know if they pursue a Career connected either with the sea or Oceanography!

Gerry Quinn
56 Posted 09/04/2021 at 21:32:35
Facebook me, Derek
57 Posted 09/04/2021 at 21:33:55
Gerry, I am not on Facebook mate!
Gerry Quinn
58 Posted 09/04/2021 at 21:37:24
Each 1m long carved from wood, solar battery powered - transmit as often as we tell them - this is Adventure 2 the plazzy pirate boat being re-furbished in Miami after a 6,000km+ sail from Guyana

Gerry Quinn
59 Posted 09/04/2021 at 21:50:43
Hopefully the Pirate Boat will be launched off Miami again next week - 5,000 miles back to UK or - could end up anywhere from Iceland to Africa!!!! We have 32k followers from all round the world - it is great fun to be part of
Si Cooper
60 Posted 09/04/2021 at 22:28:04
Not played for years and even then it was a couple of rounds a year at most, but I’m up for this depending on exactly when it ends up happening.

Dave, how / where did you find out that Gyp was a tea leaf? Unless Thomas keeps his float in a very strange place!

Si Cooper
61 Posted 09/04/2021 at 22:30:44
Gerry, only semi serious, but I am a little surprised people don’t react badly to you deliberately adding plastic to the oceanic ecosystem.
Gerry Quinn
62 Posted 10/04/2021 at 06:57:04
Si, we have had one who did, but the 32 thousand who have followed us have thoroughly had fun through 2 hurricanes, lie ups in Honduras and Belize with lovely kids and their families looking after it - and all during these miserable bloody times (especially with Everton at home!!!). Plastic boat designed to stay upright/afloat and would be recovered
63 Posted 10/04/2021 at 07:15:58
Clive @54, Thanks Clive for your support and I fully intend for it to fall on a Friday, for obvious reasons as you will no doubt be well aware, Club Comps/ Members will always get priority over a visiting Society. Then there is the increased cost with most Courses at the weekend.

Really enjoyed playing alongside you and David Pearl at Frodsham, on the last outing, and very impressed how you played, considering it was the first encounter with that course. Which, sadly is not even under consideration as a venue as they have basically ruined both Course and Clubhouse (Which is now a Nursery, believe it or not).

Thanks again Clive, we seem to be gathering numbers now so it will be fixing a date, but don't know if we can wait till the fixtures are released though, as that may be cutting it fine.

Jon Harding
64 Posted 10/04/2021 at 11:15:19
Count me in, Derek!
If there's one thing I love as much as the Blues, it's a game of golf.
And after a period in the wilderness, I'm back down to single figures.
Although living in Bristol and having a full time job means I cannot quite guarantee my attendance on the first tee with you. But fingers crossed
65 Posted 10/04/2021 at 11:43:57
Jon @ 64, Thanks for your offer of support, the more the merrier and very commendable that you would travel all that way, we have another Member Clive Davies who will be coming from Aberystwyth, so not the only long distance golfer.

I am hoping by next week to have the quotes in from the Golf Clubs approached as potential venues, so will then hopefully be able to get a date fixed and ascertain where to play. So everyone will know where they are at, and can either plan ahead, or in some case it may coincide with a pre-booked holiday, which is unfortunate, but there will always be someone, who whatever the date, that does not suit. Hoping though that is not the case.

Dave Abrahams
66 Posted 10/04/2021 at 19:38:53
Si (60), Si keep up please, he was trying to Rob the lady’s virginity!!
Thomas Richards
67 Posted 10/04/2021 at 19:43:01
hole in one?
Dave Abrahams
68 Posted 10/04/2021 at 20:39:28
Thomas (67), until you bogied him, well done Thomas, a knight in shining armour, helped that lady in distress.
69 Posted 10/04/2021 at 20:42:48
Dave @ 68, " Thomas, a knight in shining armour, helped that lady in distress. "

I heard it was a 'night' he regretted and wanted to forget! :-)

Dave Abrahams
70 Posted 10/04/2021 at 21:14:24
Derek (69), Derek people have been knighted for much less than what Thomas did that night, he won’t thank me for talking about his heroics in that event, I can reveal now that Gyp attacked Thomas with a golf club, not a putter either but a twatter, that’s why I find it remarkable that Thomas has offered his services at a golf tournament after that escapade, take a bow Thomas.
Thomas Richards
71 Posted 10/04/2021 at 22:04:04
Thank you Dave.
Rather not take the credit for that if you don't mind. Just being the gentleman I am.
I prefer not to blow my own trumpet (dislodged three vertabrae last time I tried).

72 Posted 14/04/2021 at 05:09:40
As everything looks to have stagnated now,as far as serious comments or genuine interest in attendance on the day, I have managed to do a bit more research with a few Clubs. I have also 'taken the bull by the horns' and decided on a date. I had to do this, because even this early, slots are getting booked and reserved well in advance.

The date will be the Friday 27th August, which I hope will not inconvenience too many or any, the inevitability with organising anything like this is that while I want everyone to be happy, it is almost Sod's Law that someone may not be able to make it, but hopefully that won't be the case. At least we can plan ahead now in the knowledge that a date has been allocated.

Now coming to the venue, I have made several inquiries, and the Course that is best suited to our needs on the day will be Aldersey Green G.C. Nr Chester CH3 9EH. The Club has hosted many Golfing Society events, and are very experienced in doing so. While we are not exactly a Society as such, similar criteria applies.

The decision to choose Aldersey is for a variety of reasons, they are an established Club and Course, of which I doubt anyone will be disappointed with. They must be doing something right because Societies keep going back year after year. The other factors affecting the decision were concerning protocol and and finance.

Whilst all Golf Clubs are governed by the Royal and Ancient Society, who set the playing Rules which are applicable to everyone playing the game, both Professionals and Amateurs alike. Some Clubs also have their own protocols and tend to still be, in this day and age a bit old fashioned, and try to be exclusive. While they purport to welcome Visitors on a specific day, their decision to do so is purely to bring revenue into the Club. Some are more welcoming than others.

Huyton and Prescot have quoted £47.50 as the minimum to pay for each individual, they do not have Buggies, are very strict on Dress Code both on and off the Course, and I believe still have strictly Members Only Lounges and Facilities. While it is a nice Course it may be a bit too prestigious for those who just want a fun day out with Golf getting in between a Bacon Butty/Coffee, and a 2 Course Lunch/Meal.

Whereas at Aldersey, all Visitors are welcomed and may use all the facilities that are available to Members too. Like I said before they are far more experienced, and accommodating at hosting events such as this day out. For the same deal as H&P, they have quoted £31 per head.

To me, that is a no brainer, when you factor in everything, plus they have, I think 14 Buggies, which have to be booked in advance and I believe are either £12.50 or £15 which would be shared by two players. While it is a fairly long Course, (longer than H&P) it is fairly easy to walk or pull/push a trolley. There are 3 par 5's whilst only one at H&P.

Assuming it will be decent weather on the day, Aldersey have an excellent outdoor drinking area which is situated overlooking the 18th Green, and have also recently built a Beer Gazebo too which is adjacent and near to the practice putting green and First tee. The Club are renowned too for their excellent catering and home cooked food.

It is situated on the A41 Chester to Whitchurch Road, suitably linked and close to M53 an M56, so there is no need to go through Chester (which can be a nightmare at the best of times even if you know where you are going in the ill-designed one way system.

The only thing I need now that a date is set and people can plan accordingly is some sort of commitment and a pretty good idea of who will be going. Remember as I said in the opening thread, where Catering is concerned, they have to know the actual numbers, and any shortfalls have to be paid for too!

Hopefully that has covered everything, but if there are any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. The only other thing left as far as Booking is concerned is getting a Starting Time, which I would hope to be about, ideally 10.00 am which gives people ample time to get there, get changed etc, have their bacon Butty and Coffee and start off.

I also hope when I know definite numbers, is to get a block booking so we will all play consecutively, and all finish within a reasonable time frame. Have a drink and then a sit down to a 2 Course Meal. Again depending on the numbers, I would like to draw names out of a hat, so you won't know who you will be partnering, or playing alongside till the day.

Also when I have a better idea, on not only the numbers, but approximate Handicaps too, I may have a little twist to the format, with a better player (low H/Cap) partnering a higher H/Cap, and have Better Ball style of competition (Stableford) I'll also try to get some sorts of prizes as an incentive on the day. Any donations will be most gratefully appreciated.

Right hope that's it folks, now you know you can plan, but please we want this to be an enjoyable day for all, and while it is nice to win, there can only be one winner, or a winning pair, but hopefully we can do a few 'nearest the pins, (par 3's)' that gives everyone a chance. May have a little raffle too.

Ray Roche
73 Posted 14/04/2021 at 09:16:14
Derek, you can put me down as a participant in the Golf Day Out. Providing that I am not away I will be delighted to join the party.
I have played Aldersley Green and enjoyed it, but not for many years, so it will be good to try the course again.

The pairing of a low/high handicap player will be helpful to some lads who may be a bit nervous about playing competition golf but as it's as much for fun as it is for the £500 first prize that you have generously offered, I'm sure that they will enjoy the day.

What? The £500 was a joke? Oh. what a shame.

74 Posted 14/04/2021 at 11:36:14
Thanks Ray! I thought I told you not to mention the 500! Anyway it isn't Pounds Sterling, it was in the old Turkish Lira which equated to about 50p on a good F Trading day.
David Pearl
75 Posted 14/04/2021 at 16:20:56
Hi Derek

Mykitchendesign.live would be happy to donate a £50 Pizza Express Voucher for either a prize or a raffle on the day.

I will book the time off so see you there!

Aldersey is a fine course, one of the best I've played over here... if you can call it playing.

How many have confirmed so far??

76 Posted 14/04/2021 at 19:18:32
Hi David, Thanks for your kind offer of a donation, which I'm sure will go down well, as will any Pizza devoured by the winner, Marinara if it happens to be me, but like Nero, I could get accused of fiddling (raffles) while the (Roman) Pizza burned! 😜

As for numbers it is gradually building up, and I have had a few contact me privately too, I am hoping now the date is almost set in slow drying concrete, more people can organise and commit. The last tentative count was about 13, but I hope, and have told Aldersey to expect about 20, which would be ideal. They have also allocated the First , and subsequent Tee times, starting at 10.30, if anyone goes to support the event, or just caddie, they are going to get back to me with a 'special price' for the food, but no golf.

I have at least one Buggy guaranteed already, but subject to requirements, will be able to request more, I now have my own Electric Trolley, so will probably, if limbs hold out, use that on the day, so that frees up a Buggy up for someone who needs it more than I do.

77 Posted 16/04/2021 at 09:04:47
Thomas @ 67, re ; your 'hole in one one' I actually had one yesterday at Hawarden Golf Club where I am a Member, it was on the 14th par 3 (obviously) conditions were almost perfect for golf, sunny very little wind, the ground was firming up so there was a bit of run on the ball.

I hit a good looking shot which I saw hit the green and start to 'run' but because of the topography of that particular hole, the base of the flag, and the hole itself were obscured. I then approached the green, initially disappointed that the ball was nowhere to be seen on the surface. So I presumed it had run off the back, proceeding to look at the back of the green, there was no sign of it all. The grass had been recently cut, so I thought it may have buried itself under a pile of residual cuttings, again nothing.

As it was a brand new INESIS ball which I was trying out for the first time, and only started using on the 12th, (2 holes previously) I was doubly 'gutted' so shrugging my shoulders I reluctantly and mentally 'wrote it off'. As I proceeded to the next Tee and walking back across the green, there in the hole, was the ball 'winking at me'.

Needless to say my disappointment had turned to absolute glee in a matter of seconds. I didn't have any witnesses, but had to tell someone, I phoned the Clubhouse and told the Assistant Pro, Alec who was delighted for me, I tried to phone Ray Roche, because I was with Ray representing Everton against Liverpool (2 decent lads actually, a rarity) at Frodsham when he had a hole in one on the 5th at Frodsham, but a poor signal could not get through.

I then phoned David Pearl, who should have been playing with me, but had to cancel due to his long standing back problem, bad for David, but a great feeling for me, tempered by the fact that Welsh Covid Rules meant the Bar remained shut. So I was saved from a hefty Bar Bill. Some Members wanted it 'put on a tab till the closure changed' to which I reminded them my 'benevolence would expire at midnight' yesterday!

I can't explain the elation it means to a golfer to get a hole in one, but I have had 4 now, mind you it has taken 50+ years and a lot of games, home and abroad, to achieve that. I would also interject, while taking some of the shine off yesterday, that had I played the same shot (or similar) the week before, it would NOT have happened.

It was a lot wetter (though not raining) and colder there was very little run on the ball, fact the balls were staying in their own pitch marks much of the time. So there is a lot of luck combined with a vestige of skill in getting the much coveted Hole In One!

Derek Thomas
78 Posted 16/04/2021 at 09:30:04
Hole in one my arse - you dropped it down the leg of your trousers like Odd-Job in Goldfinger.😊
79 Posted 16/04/2021 at 09:44:55
You have a very cunning mind Meester Thomas, (while stroking a fluffy white cat on my knee) how can you accuse me of such bravado? I know where you leeve and so do my agents! 😜🏴‍☠️🪒