Looking back through the original post and the subsequent additions, I can see that it may be all a bit confusing for some. While I welcomed the humour and the funnies on the other thread, I would appreciate this time to keep it more formal and serious. As I know we all like a good laugh but it can often obscure, the more important points of the initial post.

As most will be aware now, I have committed to the date of Friday 27th August, at Aldersey Green Golf Club, near Chester, CH3 9EH. After many discussions with the Club and Catering Staff, they are doing the package of Bacon Butty/Coffee/Tea, followed by 18 Holes of Golf (1st Tee 10.30) then a sit down 2-Course Meal. All of this is to cost £31 which is pretty good as opposed to Huyton and Prescot who wanted at least £47.50 for a similar deal. Buggies are available to those who may want or need them, but as they are limited, I/Club need to know well in advance so these can be allocated.

Now we come to the painful part, apart from wanting a serious commitment as there is Catering involved, I propose that everyone who wishes to go, send a £15 deposit (non-returnable) to not only show intent, but should they not turn up Catering will be covered. If you can send to me, just text 07565140075, or email del_kath@yahoo.co.uk whereupon I will provide Bank Details. I will also send a receipt or acknowledgement by email. That way there is only £16 to pay on the day. Also after negotiating with the Club Non playing Members/Caddies or those who wish to just support the day are also welcome and there will be Food for them too again at £15, and again as above need to know numbers.

The Bar is welcoming and have a range of moderately priced Beers and Lagers (@3.65/pint approx) San Miguel and Fosters for Lager drinkers. There is a nice sized Beer Garden/Drinking Area, and a small Beer Gazebo too.

I have had some definite commitments already, ironically from those who live farthest away. One participant has already booked a Hotel for the day before and on the day. I can recommend Premier Inn (Station Chester) as it is close to the town, station (obviously) and the Golf Course itself. Also with Premier Inns the longer you book ahead the better the deal!

I have also had offers from both the Club, Members and Myself to donate prizes on the day for the mini-comps involved. For non-players/caddies and everyone too, there will be a raffle, so no-one should be left out and depending on the donations hope everyone has a chance of winning something. As always any serious questions are invited, but hopefully I have covered everything. Although the Golf Competition will be of a serious (ish) format, we are not playing for the Ryder Cup or the likes, but I need an indication of Handicaps so I can work out a fair field. Get committed and enjoy the upcoming day!

Reader Comments (25)

Derek Knox
1 Posted 24/04/2021 at 04:18:56
Just a little note to add to the above, anyone wishing to attend, either playing or just coming for the day, and who doesn't have transport, I live close to Chester Station, so providing you can get to the Station (handy, by 08.30) by train from wherever, you can get a lift to and from Aldersey. I must hasten to add though, please check with me first, if you are bringing Clubs, as I only have a small car (small boot) and would have to work something out, but can take 3 or 4 (just passengers) easily.

Also if I didn't make it clear in the header post, non-playing participants would be required as everyone else to pay £15 if intending to go, as this will cover your meals and will have nothing else to pay on the day. Golfers will pay £15 too, but the remaining £16 on the day. Of course if anyone wishes to pay the whole amount that is acceptable too, with nothing to pay on the day, apart from beer and raffle money.

If anyone does text or phone, and leaves a message on answerphone, please state your name, whether Golfing or Non-Golfing, and a return number. If private, or withheld, I have no way of contacting you back. Also if anyone has any special dietary requirements please let me know well in hand so I can inform the Catering Staff. I don't have the 2 Course Fare yet on the day but will promulgate that before hand.

In addition to Buggies (£12.50 between two) the Club do hire push/pull trolleys, but also have Lithium Powered Golf Trolleys (some with built in GPS) to hire for £5/round. Hope that covers all the little things, but any questions please ask.

David Pearl
2 Posted 25/04/2021 at 12:25:38
Good stuff Derek.

No bacon for me!

I will transfer or drop off the money this week and will also donate a £50 voucher for pizza express as one of the prizes.

Hope you get a good turn out.

Derek Knox
3 Posted 25/04/2021 at 13:34:35
David, Thanks for your offer of a very generous prize for the Raffle, and your forthcoming Deposit, and yes I do hope for a good turn out, but up to now, it's like pulling hen's teeth. I know a lot of people probably think it's a long way off yet, but these things still have to be arranged well before.

The Club have asked on a couple of occasions, if I know roughly how many, so embarrassingly have to tell a bit of a white lie, and say I will know for sure in a fortnight, that was a week ago now! They obviously have to plan ahead too, and their room has a capacity maximum, which I think is around 30 seated for meals and presentation.

David Pearl
4 Posted 25/04/2021 at 18:44:46
You can't be expected to know numbers just yet, Derek. You might have more luck with responses when the season has closed as the posts can get lost in all the news. We have a few interested so far so fingers crossed, it should be bigger and better than the last one.
Brent Stephens
5 Posted 25/04/2021 at 19:01:54
Derek, my apologies but something else has come up for that date. So I'll have to back out. I'll be hand-bagged if I attend the golf - say no more!

But thanks for all the effort, Derek. Hope it's a great day for all involved.

Derek Knox
6 Posted 25/04/2021 at 20:38:05
Thanks Brent, pity but it is be bound to conflict with someone's plans, I suppose that is inevitable, but there you go!
Ray Roche
7 Posted 26/04/2021 at 09:57:14
Derek, If I am not away, I will be delighted to join the day out. I can offer a prize for the birdie two's competition if you like.

I was thinking, because the Excelsior Gentleman's Evening with Ratcliffe and Mountfield etc is being held on the previous evening, wouldn't it be an opportunity for some of the 'out of towners' to incorporate both events? If they are making a weekend of it and staying in Liverpool, they could enjoy both. Just a thought.

John Hall
8 Posted 26/04/2021 at 10:47:20
Derek
We have just a few days ago heard the sad news about a great toffee web subscriber who was recently diagnosed with a terminal illness. As an avid golfer who gets to play 4 times a week most weeks I would love to be part of the day but am 6500 miles away as I am retired and live with my wife and daughter in the Philippines.

Would be pleased if we as true blues could purchase a shield or a cup for the tournament winner and would be nice if it was to be called the the "Teddy Draper Trophy". This could serve as an annual trophy for future ToffeeWeb golf tournaments.

I can e mail you for your bank details and send the donation to purchase a suitable trophy. Am sure Teddy and his family would would approve.

Hope my request receives a favorable response.

Many thanks

Jon Harding
9 Posted 26/04/2021 at 16:51:21
Splendid, Derek. I said it was a long way from Bristol but I do love a game of golf - especially when you know you won't be playing alongside people with a Liverpool FC wood cover or an Aston Villa towel! Just two of the abominations of members of my club down here.

The date works a treat for me as I am up in North Wales all that week with plans to watch the Curtis Cup at Conwy GC - it's the women's amateur equivalent of the Ryder Cup. So a short journey to Chester for a day's golf will break the week up nicely. I'll even bring my son Dan along as, although he's not a massive football fan, he's a decent golfer off 8 handicap.

Ray Roche
10 Posted 26/04/2021 at 16:56:46
Jon, have you been to Conwy before? Apart from it being a very nice little place, the course is a great links course, probably my favourite links course that I have played. Get's bloody windy though!!!

There are plenty of really lovely places to visit around Conwy so I'm sure that you'll enjoy your short break up here. And Chester is also well worth a visit.

Tony Abrahams
11 Posted 26/04/2021 at 17:09:25
The Mullberry is my favourite place in Conway, Ray, a pint and a bite to eat, roll on the summer!
Jon Harding
12 Posted 26/04/2021 at 17:20:33
Thanks, Ray.

My mother lives in Llandudno and is a member at Maesddu so we know the area well (although not Dave's recommended Mulberry).

Conwy GC is quality to be hosting Curtis Cup. I've played it before a few times but not for a while. My son likes North Wales GC but my absolute favourite is Aberdovey.

I'm looking forward to combining golf and EFC come August.

Alan McGuffog
13 Posted 26/04/2021 at 17:27:47
The Albion is a cracker if you like proper beer. And the Liverpool Arms on the quayside has great views... and ace chippy just round the corner.

As Tony says, roll on summer and the freedom (hopefully) to pop into a pub without a letter from the Pope saying you're allowed.

Ray Roche
14 Posted 26/04/2021 at 17:32:04
Tony, yes the Mulberry is in a good location too. The golf club balcony is pretty good on a sunny afternoon and the last time I ate there the food was excellent.

Jon, sounds like you know the area pretty well. Maesddu is a good course, better than North Wales in my humble opinion. Never been to Aberdovey though.

Jon Harding
15 Posted 26/04/2021 at 18:06:29
Cheers guys. This site is like the good pub guide. I've made a note - Albion and Mulberry. I'll give you the Kings Head in Llandudno if you want a top pint of Abbot.

If I ever move back to that part of the world, I will probably join Maesdu and Conwy for less than I pay for my membership of one club down here.

Ray - put Dovey on your bucket list. Perfect setting although it is in the middle of nowhere! It just made the top 100 courses in the UK alongside Birkdale, Lytham etc.

Derek Knox
16 Posted 26/04/2021 at 21:28:05
John Hall @ 8, So sad to hear of Teddy's prognosis, and it is always difficult to find words of either consolation or comfort, but if I can let other's do it for me, it may put things in more perspective.

I learned this Poem when I was at sea, of which there are about 137 verses, and I will not quote them all, but just three which I consider may encapsulate the isolated feelings we all share at times like this. Bearing in mind this was written a thousand years ago, and translated by Edward Fitzgerald @ late 1800's.

Tis all a chequerboard of Nights and Days,
Where Destiny with Men for Pieces plays:
Hither and thither moves, and mates, and slays,
Then, one by one back in the Closet lays.

For in an out, above and below,
Tis nothing but a magic shadow picture show:
Played around a box, whose Candle is the Sun,
Round which we phantom figures come and go.

Strange is it not of the myriads who,
Before us passed the door of darkness through,
None have returned to tell of that road,
Which to discover, we must travel too.

Just thought that may be apt in this instance John, but I would be more than grateful, to acknowledge a Trophy with Teddy Draper's name attached, and as you say, hopefully, to be played for in many more years to come, Thanks!

Clive Davies
17 Posted 26/04/2021 at 22:13:24
I very much hope to be able to make this date and the evening before sounds an excellent idea as well, all depends on my trip to Portugal Derek as supposed to be flying that Friday.

Aberdovey is a course I play regular and my good friend is the pro there, check his shop superb gear. I also like Royal St David's, can see a tofffeeweb outing developing sure Derek can do a great job as a travel consultant now.

Think the golf sounds much better than the football at the moment.

Derek Knox
18 Posted 27/04/2021 at 08:01:08
Thanks Clive if you can ring or email me with your Mobile Number we can stay in touch. It would be greatly appreciated.

John Hall, if you can email, or text me on the above address/Mob No, there are quite a few things I would like to discuss with you regarding the Trophy (ies) plus a couple of other things. I would be grateful and look forward to hearing from you. Thanks for your kind gestures.

John Hall
19 Posted 27/04/2021 at 14:36:34
Derek

Received your mail and very happy to go with your suggestions. Check your junk mail folder if you don't see my response as sent earlier today.

Wish you luck with the day and hope everyone enjoys.

Derek Knox
20 Posted 29/04/2021 at 05:21:49
Following John Hall's most generous contribution towards a special Trophy named after Teddy Draper, I have hopefully managed to procure an Antique Piece of Silverware, which will need to be mounted and a Silversmith will be needed to obscure professionally the Original Engraving, which at present was won by someone in 1931.

I checked a lot of Trophy Suppliers and although their Trophies looked the part it couldn't disguise the fact that a lot of the materials used were artificial, and on closer inspection were a bit 'tacky'. So I decided it would be more fitting as Teddy Draper's Trophy to be of decent quality, and also that John was getting value for his donation too.

So you can imagine how old, and of genuine quality this, hand crafted Hallmarked piece is, all of this will add to the cost which has been covered by John. However I am hoping to also have with the residue of money, after the Main Trophy, left to purchase nearest the pins, longest drive on certain holes, and while again John's donation will cover most of that, it is the hidden extras that I find we are slightly short on. I mean markers for nearest the pin/longest drive, plus the engraving etc, whilst I will wherever possibly try to manufacture these myself I still need some 'raw materials'.

Basically all I am asking is for voluntary donations, however large or small to ensure the day is a resounding success, but remembering too that with this intrinsically being the first of many future Annual Events, a lot of the extras will still be re-usable again next year and the years after too. Obviously the smaller prizes are there to be kept, but because of the eventual value and Antiquity of the Main Trophy, I would be reluctant to let the winner, or winners take it home, in case it was to be lost, damaged, or not returned for the following year.

As we are not a Golf Society where Members pay an Annual Fee, there is no funding to get an Insurance for the Trophy, otherwise it may have been a different case. So therefore intend to get engraved replicas, or as near as is possible, but of course this is indeed another expense, and there are the engraving costs which all add up. I don't expect a King's Ransom just a small voluntary contribution to cover the costs mentioned.

Retrospectively, I should have made the initial payment slightly higher, which would have covered everything and all attending would have paid an equal share, but as this is a first for this event, I didn't realise until I had set the 'Actual Cost' for the Day's Outing. So apologise for that under-sight!

My next update should indicate the Maximum Number that can attend comfortably, by information I will shortly get back from Aldersley Green GC. Names are starting to be confirmed and Deposits/Full Fees, are being received on a daily basis, which I thank all those who have committed early for. I fully expect this to be a really good and enjoyable day for all but just that little extra help may mean a World of difference. Thanks!

Peter Moore
21 Posted 30/04/2021 at 09:58:45
Good morning Derek, As per texts I am 100 per cent confirmed. Travelling up from Worcestershire. Genuinely a wannabe bandit! Wish my handicap was a blag but sadly it will be a real miracle to get round in less than 100, though the ball goes well enough times to keep me interested, but seldom in more than a few consecutive shots, sadly. So, handicap, the maximum permitted sadly. Not swung the clubs for over a year as well, so pity my partner!
Derek Knox
22 Posted 30/04/2021 at 14:23:46
Thanks Peter, and great to see your post on here, you will of course be more than welcome and will get to meet a lot of the lads, some who I have never met either. I will assess the Handicap system in the next few weeks. A lot depends on how many are to be there on the day, and of course who has a Handicap (Official) and who hasn't. I have worked out a system where it is fair for all irrespective of ability but also enjoyable too.

As I said in the first Golf Day post, it will be a Stableford Format, so players of any ability can have a bad hole, and we all do from time to time, without it being a Card Wrecker. I also hope to have a few little side Comps so there are incentives and something to play for, for everyone.

Thanks again I will mark you down as paid in Full and will send an email receipt as soon as I get a chance to do so. Thanks also for your welcome but much needed donation.

Stephen Vincent
23 Posted 30/04/2021 at 22:55:34
Derek, put me down for the social. I was playing off 10 until my knee went! Waiting for an OP at the moment, but would love to meet some of the guys.

I have organised many charity golf days in my time, so if you need help with card checking, starting, etc. happy to help.

Derek Knox
24 Posted 30/04/2021 at 23:48:35
Stephen, Thanks, you are both welcome and a Godsend, that is one of the parts I was worrying about, not that I am a dummy or anything, (no comment) but it can be very time consuming when you are trying to do 100 other things too. I haven't exactly worked out how precisely yet, because I don't know the final numbers, and or, exact Handicaps.

I am also working on a couple of things to make it both fun, but at the same time giving everyone a chance, at the same time. If you could text me on 07565140075 there are a couple of things I can run past you too, but don't want to give too much away. Ruins the element of surprise ! No point writing a letter to Santa if you know exactly what your gonna get anyway! :-)

Stephen Vincent
25 Posted 30/04/2021 at 23:53:22
Derek, you are welcome. It can be a little stressfull especially if you want to play yourself. I will drop you a text.