Reader Comments (37)

Brendan McLaughlin
1 Posted 24/04/2021 at 21:10:58
Hi Teddy,

Top post from an obviously good guy, Wish I could think of something profund to say but I can't... I will light a candle for you tomorrow.

ps: Tony Marsh is still a plonker!

Brent Stephens
2 Posted 24/04/2021 at 21:17:31
Teddy, as Brendan says words are hard to come by. You're in my thoughts.
Mike Gaynes
3 Posted 25/04/2021 at 04:33:03
Teddy...

May your remaining time be filled with love, peace and comfort.

Our Evertonian hearts are with you.

Mike

Kieran Kinsella
4 Posted 25/04/2021 at 05:05:21
Teddy

I just downloaded some of your sons work last night as I was in a nostalgic mood recalling my college days. Love his music, had no idea he was your boy but you should feel very proud mate, fantastic musician. I actually have one of his songs as my alarm clock.

As for Tony Marsh? I love him. He's a grump but his heart is in the right place and I wish he'd post more.

With that being said, I'm so sorry to hear your bad news. It sounds like you've a wonderful wife, I know your son is someone to be immensely proud of. God bless you mate, enjoy the days you have and feel proud for your wonderful family. I'll keep you and your family in my prayers buddy.

Karl Masters
5 Posted 25/04/2021 at 05:22:54
I wish you well, Teddy.

Your post puts into perspective the real meaning of Football and Everton, the spirit of comradeship and goodwill to fellow fans when the chips are down.

Karl

Kieran Kinsella
6 Posted 25/04/2021 at 05:36:57
Lyndon/Michael

One thing about ToffeeWeb that's priceless is the opportunity to interact with top blokes from around the world who love this club. Harold Matthews and Dick Fearon RIP among them. Some of us get a bit precious from time to time, squabbling about tactics and so forth. But ultimately, ToffeeWeb has given us a wonderful platform to connect with Blues, most of whom (Darren apart lol) are wiser than me. It's a real privelege to learn from the likes of Teddy, Dave Abrahams, John McFarlane and co. Quality people, true Toffees. What a wonderful club we all have fallen in love with that affords is the opportunity to connect with so many great personalities.

Lyndon Lloyd
7 Posted 25/04/2021 at 06:17:03
Teddy, Mike says it perfectly above. So sorry to hear the news but wishing you peace, love and comfort and my thanks for being part of this community as well as my best wishes to your family.
John Hall
8 Posted 25/04/2021 at 06:43:14
Hi Teddy

So shocked and sad to hear the news related to your health and hope you find peace and tranquility during the time that you have left with your family and the ToffeeWeb community.

I shall most certainly attempt to contact your son Paul these next few days and hopefully I can arrange for a donation to be made to whichever charity that you so wish to choose. Not as good as a seat in the stands with your blue scarf by any means but the promise won't be forgotten.

Wish I could have met you my friend and thank you so much for the lovely words that you have posted.

67 this year myself Teddy but man you made me cry.

God Bless You Always

Stephen Brown
9 Posted 25/04/2021 at 07:44:53
Teddy

I hope your remaining time is good as it can be. Good luck and hope you can see at least a couple more wins.

All the best to the family

Danny O’Neill
10 Posted 25/04/2021 at 08:26:06
Teddy,

I don't recall exchanging views with you, so won't profess to know you even in the virtual sense.

What you touch on is testimony to how this site brings Evertonians together. We agree, disagree, bicker and virtually fight, but the one common thing we have is our love of the club that has been with us since before we can remember.

I love that you reflect on having a great life. Such an important thing to put into context; always enjoy life. One of my favourite sayings (and there are different interpretations): "it's not the years in your life that count, it's the years in your life".

Best wishes to you and your family.

Dave Abrahams
11 Posted 25/04/2021 at 08:53:17
Teddy, so sorry to hear about your sad news, Teddy it's not about how many goals you score but how you play the game, seems to me Teddy you played it very well, on and off the field, I'm off to church in a few minutes, I'll light a candle for you when I get there, God bless Teddy.
Thomas Richards
12 Posted 25/04/2021 at 09:27:22
Terribly sad news Teddy.
May you be as peaceful as possible.
Very brave man reading in between the lines of your post.
Your spirit will live on through your family

Christine Foster
13 Posted 25/04/2021 at 09:42:48
Teddy, I do hope the various responses have made you smile, an affirmation of the great Evertonian you are. I hope you are as proud of your club as we are, there is no better club or supporters in the world. You are family, one of blue blood, one of the few. We stand alongside you no matter where in the world we are.
Best of the best, my smile and prayers are with you Teddy, god bless!
Danny O’Neill
14 Posted 25/04/2021 at 10:02:01
Well I fluffed my lines and messed that one up and missed the edit window. Reset:

"it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years"

Ian Burns
15 Posted 25/04/2021 at 10:26:07
May your remaining days be peaceful Teddy. You can most certainly be proud of your family and you can continue to carry that thought whilst you enjoy what time is left to you.

Heartbreaking article but an excellent post Kieran 6.

All the very best to you and your family Teddy.

Gerry Quinn
16 Posted 25/04/2021 at 10:42:51
Teddy, I have been extremely quiet on ToffeeWeb lately, because of life in general and mainly because of supporting such a frustrating side to bloody watch!!!! However, as a 70 year old Toffee, and having supported my dear wife go through her long-winded fight against the awful C, I send my happiest of "Everton-hugs" to you and your wife from up here in bonnie Scotland and wish you all the best you can get for the future...NSNO
Len Hawkins
17 Posted 25/04/2021 at 11:17:17
Teddy I hope I am as brave and strong as you are, I don't fear death as there is no alternative but who knows how you will react if given the bad news. As for myself I hope I am like you and can show the same character and bravery.

I am not religious but if there is an afterlife then I will look for the Evertonian section and seek you out to tell you to your face how brave I think you are, after buying you a pint of course.

My best wishes for your time left with us and my love and admiration to you and your family. NSNO

Dennis Stevens
18 Posted 25/04/2021 at 11:26:06
Teddy, I'm so sorry to read of your terribly bad news. My thoughts are with you & your family. I wish you all the best as you face the "inevitable". Above all, I wish you comfort & peace.
Tony Everan
19 Posted 25/04/2021 at 11:32:40
Best wishes Teddy, to you and your family, from a true blue Evertonian to another.
Eddie Dunn
20 Posted 25/04/2021 at 12:34:41
Dear Teddy, thanks for sharing your story with this ToffeeWeb community. As we get older our brushes with ill health or worse, get more common, either directly or through close friends or older relatives. I wish you as much comfort and peace of mind as possible. Lost my Dad a few months back, a grim reminder of our mortality. Very best Blue regards to you and yours. Eddie
Derek Moore
21 Posted 26/04/2021 at 10:31:20
I'm an old Wavertree boy myself, from just off Picton Road. I had schoolfriends who lived near the Mystery (Barrington Road), so I'm very familiar with the Liverpool part of your story Teddy.

Not too many Blues hail from that way, for the 86 and 89 cup finals our house was the only ones without a RS scarf in the window in the entire street! So your post really touched me; we Wavertree Blues need to stick together.

April is usually my absolute favourite month of the year, a combination of the change of season and a whole lot of happy life events that have happened to me in Aprils over the years. This one has been very different; the sad news of Dick Fearon started the month and now this equally awful news bookends it.

It sounds Teddy like you've had a rich and full life and the stoicism in your post hints at the sort of person you are. I wish you and your family all the strength needed to navigate this really difficult time. You and they are in my thoughts and prayers right now.

Stay as strong as you can mate, and god speed. If anything Labby may have had the exchange rate wrong – one Wavertree Blue is worth an enormous number of Liverpudlians, definitely more than 20! Take care again.

George McKane
22 Posted 26/04/2021 at 10:53:14
A life worth living is a true life well lived - - well-lived Terry - - I know Wavertree (Wavetome I used to call it) well - - I went to Picton Road baths many many times - - in fact I went there one Saturday when Liverpool played Leeds in 1965 Cup Final so I wouldn't watch that game - - spent many a time walking around The Mizzie - - my Nin lived in Smithdown Road - - I have battled Cancer and Heart Surgery for the past 2 years and have some small understanding of your struggles but I truly believe in "spirit and soul" - - and I hope they help you through difficult days - - "let your soul and spirit fly into into into the mystic" - - my thoughts, heart, soul and spirit are with you Terry - - no words can match your feelings but I hold you in my heart and let my Blue Blood Beat For You For A While.
Tony Abrahams
23 Posted 26/04/2021 at 12:23:50
A very sad post that brings out the best side of ToffeeWeb, unfortunately. I hope your last days are peaceful Teddy, and hopefully the people you will worry about the most, will all be fine mate.

I don't know how bad you're at the minute Teddy, but maybe you might be strong enough to attend our last home game of this season? If this is possible you can have my ticket, if I'm successful in the ballot mate, otherwise peace be with you, until the very end🙏

Paul Birmingham
24 Posted 26/04/2021 at 12:35:01
All the very best, Teddy, to you and your family, and comfort and peace.
Peter Mills
25 Posted 26/04/2021 at 18:12:18
Teddy, very best wishes to you and your family.
John McFarlane Snr
26 Posted 26/04/2021 at 19:56:28
Hi Teddy,

My thoughts are with you and your family at this sad time. I recently lost my brother, Tommy, to that terrible disease, two months short of his 88th birthday – another 'TruBlue'. It's at times like this, that losing a game of football fades into insignificance.

Once again, my best wishes to yourself and your family.

Andy Finigan
27 Posted 26/04/2021 at 20:27:19
Bought a lump to my throat reading that, Teddy. Wish I could've met you. I think we would've got on great. God bless you and your family.
Mike Gaynes
28 Posted 26/04/2021 at 20:31:46
John #26, condolences to you and yours for that terrible loss as well.
Dale Self
29 Posted 26/04/2021 at 20:47:01
Very grateful just to be able to witness such grace and an outpouring of love in response. May you have peace and comfort in knowing that we will remember you fondly but celebrate your life now while you're still here.
Oliver Molloy
30 Posted 26/04/2021 at 21:50:35
Teddy,

God bless you and your family on your journey.

Jamie Crowley
31 Posted 26/04/2021 at 21:58:03
Teddy -

Peace and God bless to you and yours.

Paul Birmingham
32 Posted 26/04/2021 at 22:15:59
John at 26, my deepest condolences and prayers at the loss of your brother.

RIP Tommy and enjoy the matches from the Top Balc in the sky, with great company of Evertonians.

Derek Knox
34 Posted 27/04/2021 at 07:51:48
It's been very emotional reading these posts Teddy, knowing that friends who maybe you haven't met yet, but equally care as if they had known you for years, sending their love at this difficult time.

It reinforces what a wonderful site TW is in the main, when Evertonians from all four corners of the World, unite in sharing bad news as well as rejoicing in the good. Sadly there hasn't been a lot of good news recently both on and off the field. Thinking of you and your family Teddy at this trying time.

David Pearl
35 Posted 28/04/2021 at 17:12:54
Hi Teddy

Ian's kind gesture was bought to my attention, along with your post, on the back of the golf day that Derek is organizing. Glad to have found this post and I can only reiterate the blue feelings given your way.

Best wishes to you and your family

Tony Hill
36 Posted 28/04/2021 at 17:25:16
A lovely, graceful post. May you and yours find peace.
John Hall
37 Posted 30/04/2021 at 14:26:02
Hi Teddy

Got your message thank you through your son via my daughter on Instagram.

Would really make the day if you are able to knock the first ball so hang on in there and make it a day for everyone to remember.

10 handicap as a senior golfer is a sign of a seriously good golfer.

Rest up and take it easy mate so you are ready to hit a long one off the first tee.

John

Derek Knox
38 Posted 02/05/2021 at 22:54:48
Teddy, I can only echo what John has said there, and would like to add, that it would be great for you to be able to make it on the day, even if only briefly, to start the whole thing off.

I can't recall many, or any occasions even in the professional World of Golf where the man who the Trophy that everyone is playing for, is present and striking the first shot. This could be History in the making, so as John says you hang on in there buddy, you don't want to miss that!