The major Uefa competitions complete their penultimate stages with the second legs of semifinals this week for your viewing pleasure:

UEFA Champions League Semi-Finals; 2nd Leg

Tuesday 4 May 2021
Man City vs PSG – 20:00 on BT Sport 2

Wednesday 5 May 2021
Chelsea vs Real Madrid – 20:00 on BT Sport 2

UEFA Europa League Semi-Finals; 2nd Leg

Thursday 6 May 2021
Arsenal vs Villarreal – 20:00 on BT Sport 2
Roma vs Man Utd – 20:00 on BT Sport 3

Reader Comments (41)

Danny O’Neill
1 Posted 04/05/2021 at 20:47:17
City looking slick.

For the ageists out there, look at some of their key players this season:

Walker: 30
Gundogan: 30
De Bruyne; 29
Mahrez: 30
Fernandinho: 36

And you can add Aguero (32) to that as he is undoubtedly an influential player in that squad even if he doesn't play as regular.

Combined with a healthy smattering of 20 - 26 year olds, testimony that good teams need balance of youth and experience.

Dave Abrahams
2 Posted 04/05/2021 at 20:58:43
Danny (53), yes Danny City are looking slick, but PSG even though a goal behind on this game are looking much slicker, as they were last week until they lost their heads after City scored a fluke equaliser.

Possession of the ball is so vital in this game, as both teams make fifteen or more passes while having the ball, Fernandinho gave a slack pass and gave away possession and PSG worked the ball up and down the field before firing a shot at the goal, must have been twenty five to thirty passes involved without City touching the ball.

I want City to win but if PSG get a goal early in the second half this game will be in the balance, a great game to watch.

Mike Doyle
3 Posted 04/05/2021 at 21:00:49
Ruben Dias outstanding (as usual) reminding how important a top class centre half is - and he’s younger than Mason Holgate!

Foden very impressive.
The City bench looks pretty tasty too.

Danny O’Neill
4 Posted 04/05/2021 at 21:08:02
As a neutral, here's hoping for that early PSG goal Dave!!

One of the lads at work is a Parisian and PSG fan. He's developed a soft spot for Everton, so I'm hoping for them tonight! Nothing against City.

Danny O’Neill
5 Posted 04/05/2021 at 21:14:05
Genuinely excuse my ignorance. Away goals rule in place?
Danny O’Neill
6 Posted 04/05/2021 at 21:25:39
Okay, lets see what the lad's got given he could be back in an Everton shirt next season.
Danny O’Neill
7 Posted 04/05/2021 at 21:27:00
Cursed him.

Classic overload from City. 4 v 2 at one point there.

Danny O’Neill
8 Posted 04/05/2021 at 21:40:29
Don't want to be too judgemental or harsh on the kid, but Kean doesn't seem to be the most mobile of strikers. He doesn't offer much movement.
Anthony A Hughes
9 Posted 04/05/2021 at 21:43:10
What a player a Foden is. Once in a generation class player
Rob Halligan
10 Posted 04/05/2021 at 21:44:28
Off topic, but man Utd could be in deep shit. Videos circulating of security staff opening the gates on Sunday to let the protesters in to old Trafford.
Danny O’Neill
11 Posted 04/05/2021 at 21:47:41
He is Anthony. Some really good social media footage of him taking the piss (good natured) out of his mates playing street football years ago.

I thought that when I watched it on the news Rob. There seemed to be collaboration from the stewards. Dare I say, they were almost coordinating hence they cleared them back off the pitch pretty quickly??

Rob Halligan
12 Posted 04/05/2021 at 21:57:43
So city into the champions league final on the 29th May, 6 days after we play then in the final league game. I wonder what kind of team they will put out against us?
Thomas Richards
13 Posted 04/05/2021 at 21:59:07
What a performance from the centre half partnership.
Dias the best in Europe for me.
Anthony A Hughes
14 Posted 04/05/2021 at 21:59:27
Probably won't make much difference Rob, we'll have nothing to play for anyway.
Mike Doyle
15 Posted 04/05/2021 at 22:00:06
Probably quite a good one Rob.
Brian Williams
16 Posted 04/05/2021 at 22:00:09
Man City. Absolute joy to watch and I've enjoyed watching them a lot this season, watched with envious eyes. Really hope they win the final.
Barry Rathbone
17 Posted 04/05/2021 at 22:00:44
Well in City hope you win it and banish the choker tag (still blame you for letting the shite back in for the league though).

What a gang of overrated yard dogs PSG are and Neymar not only looks like my taxi driver but plays like him

Anthony A Hughes
18 Posted 04/05/2021 at 22:00:56
Yes Thomas and Stones not far behind
Paul Swan
19 Posted 04/05/2021 at 22:01:27
PSG obviously don’t have much faith in Kean against the top sides. But let’s hope they splash the cash based on his goals in the mediocre french league. No way he’s coming back here
Barry Hesketh
20 Posted 04/05/2021 at 22:02:43
Rob @64
The way we're shaping at the minute they could put out their under 18s team and still give us a hard time. I can see the events that you described earlier at Manchester Unted leading to them forfeiting the match with the neighbours, there are funnily enough seperate rules between the FA and Premier League. If the Police call it off no forfeit, if the host side are culpable they forfeit the points.
Anthony A Hughes
21 Posted 04/05/2021 at 22:03:57
PSG are a collection of good players but as a team collective are very poorly disciplined
Thomas Richards
22 Posted 04/05/2021 at 22:05:24
Anthony A

I agree.
If there is a better partnership in Europe I havent seen it

Danny O’Neill
23 Posted 04/05/2021 at 22:05:55
When there were doubts over Stones 12-18 months back, I said I'd take him back. He's only 26, still 2 or 4 years off peaking as a centre back. We judged him way too early.

That's what happens when you play in a sub-standard league Barry. Players like Neymar can't step up as they've been playing the equivalent of Hull all season. Players like Kean shine because they're playing the equivalent of Hull all season.

Sorry for picking on Hull. I just plucked that one out of the air.

Rob Halligan
24 Posted 04/05/2021 at 22:08:42
Danny do you think PSG have been playing the equivalent of the likes of Hull in the French league all season?
Tony Everan
25 Posted 04/05/2021 at 22:11:42
Thomas, Ruben Dias brilliant player, an inspired signing. Foden is a revelation - player of the season? Brian, it is galling isn’t it watching Man City play, they are everything I want us to be. Footballing aside, they seem to be alive on the pitch when we seem half dead. Why can’t we match the energy and desire they have?

It’s a bit sad when you get your football appreciation/happiness from watching another team. I’ve got blue Evertonian blood running through my veins, but I don’t ever feel happy watching them lately.

Danny O’Neill
26 Posted 04/05/2021 at 22:15:43
I'm being a bit of a dick in honesty Rob. There are some great teams in the French League and I hope it's been good for Moise Kean.

We do take the mick out of the French lad in work by calling it the Farmer's League.

So there's probably a bit of truth in my view that it's easier to shine there than in the Premier League, Bundesliga, Seria A and La Liga.

But ultimately with clubs like Lille, Marseille, Lyon and Monaco, a very competitive league. Professional football at the end of the day, something someone like me only got close to, so who am I to criticise?

Well done City by the way. What a great journey that has been for their fans. If you'd have predicted this 30 years ago you'd have been declared clinically insane!

Barry Rathbone
27 Posted 04/05/2021 at 22:21:55
Tony 77

The reason City look energised is all the players bar Sterling are comfortable on the ball. Passes go where they're supposed to go ball control is instant and the game is under their control.

By contrast our mob have too many with a first touch so dreadful their second is a header.

Tony Abrahams
28 Posted 04/05/2021 at 22:24:10
I often think about Man City, dropping into the third tier of English football, whilst there neighbours were doing the treble. Imagine what it must have been like for those City fans then? It’s the only thing that gives me hope sometimes.

I’m just waiting for a Big Uzbek, to get off his yacht, to get the ball rolling🤞

John Raftery
29 Posted 04/05/2021 at 22:33:34
Barry (79) What they also have is pace in abundance. As well as being comfortable with the ball their players can get around the pitch. Our owner would need to spend all of his fortune to build a squad as strong as City’s.
Barry Rathbone
30 Posted 04/05/2021 at 22:48:35
John 81

That's why I don't get overly upset I realised from minute one Mosh was more Randy Lerner than Mansoor but that doesn't mean to say we can't challenge.

Danny O’Neill
31 Posted 04/05/2021 at 23:00:14
It should give us hope.

To see City where they are now when in my lifetime I've witnessed them in the 3rd tier of English football relying on Sean Goater as their main hope has to give you hope.

I'm using the hope word a lot again. But it's good perspective. It can be done and let's face it, we've never been to the depths that City have. Or even Chelsea for that matter. I still recall them being a "bouncy" club in my youth.

Tony Everan
32 Posted 05/05/2021 at 21:29:58
Incredible effort from Chelsea tonight, Real Madrid shocked by the intensity and work rate.
Brian Williams
33 Posted 05/05/2021 at 21:42:04
And I'm shocked that McManaman has completely forgotten to use his watered down accent, must be the excitement. 🤣🤣🤣
James Flynn
34 Posted 05/05/2021 at 21:46:42
Tony (32) - Talented kids against oldsters.

RM can't match them for energy OR talent.

Tony Everan
35 Posted 05/05/2021 at 21:52:53
James, We need a bit of it !

Abramovich is ruthless, but Tuchel’s appointment has transformed Chelsea into a serious force of a team. They seem to be way more organised and focused now.

Paul Hewitt
36 Posted 05/05/2021 at 21:57:18
Well for the last two nights I've seen 2 teams absolutely determined to win. Fight for everything, close down,pass and move work you bollocks off. Everton players should be ashamed if they watched these games. Lazy workshy bottlers.
James Flynn
37 Posted 05/05/2021 at 22:01:42
Tony - Yep! No question, Lampard to Tuchel was a major trade up.

And to think they did it all without the brilliant defender Kurt Zouma.

Anyway, today and yesterday, the best teams (by far) were victorious.

Mike Doyle
38 Posted 05/05/2021 at 22:06:10
Paul #36 ] Though my lip reading skills are not perfect, when Pep was preparing his substitutes, I could have sworn I watched him mouth to his assistant “eh signor - tell Delph to get stripped - and check his socks”.
Of course I may have misunderstood what he was saying.
Barry Hesketh
39 Posted 05/05/2021 at 22:07:29
Both City and Chelsea showed that you have to earn the right to play, by chasing and harrying any opponent who had the ball. Not a prima donna in sight, unlike our 'stars' who we have too many of, Richie, Siggy, James et al all good players all can provide moments of magic, but ultimately it's a team game and if Carlo has any sense he'll re-run both legs of both European Semi-finals to show our players what is needed to be a winner.
Tony Everan
40 Posted 05/05/2021 at 22:14:48
Well said Barry.
James Flynn
41 Posted 06/05/2021 at 02:55:12
Barry (39) - We don't have prima donnas.

We have players who work hard but are not good enough. That's it.

We don't have the athleticism/skill combinations to play like ManCity or Chelsea.

The rare times RM or PSG found a sliver of space to run into, they were chased down and pressured or swarmed altogether.

We flat don't have that level of talented athleticism.