Reader Comments (11)

Danny O’Neill
1 Posted 22/05/2021 at 14:49:04
Okay, not Premier League but linked.

Well done Brentford. Being local to where I live and having watched their youth teams over the years, I always keep an eye out for them. And they've been knocking on the door in recent years as well as the stadium investment.

The dilemma though being Swansea. I was stationed in South Wales for 4 years and they were the local club there, so have a soft spot for them too!!

Rob Halligan
2 Posted 22/05/2021 at 14:54:23
Hopefully, if Brentford get promotion, Danny, then it will be another stadium to add too the list. I went to Griffin Park when we played them in the League Cup. Another miserable defeat in that competition from a lower league team.
Danny O’Neill
3 Posted 22/05/2021 at 15:00:22
Interesting what they've done.

Parallels to Wolves. Bought in a good coach from a country who then attracted players from that country. Some really good Danish players coming through at the moment and he is a good Danish coach.

Barry Hesketh
4 Posted 22/05/2021 at 15:01:30
Staying on the Brentford topic this tweet shows how fortunate we are to support Everton.

The last top-flight game Brentford played was their last game before the birth of Roy Hodgson. Now they are only one game away from ending the curse of Roy Hodgson.

Danny O’Neill
5 Posted 22/05/2021 at 15:25:40
Interesting point Barry.

Not related to Brentford but maybe clubs like Manchester City, Aston Villa, Chelsea, Newcastle and Leeds United in my lifetime. Even Tottenham who I remember being newly promoted in 1977 and being thumped 7 - 0 by Liverpool on the opening day. Wolves even who where in the 4th tier with the gates locked as they were being wound up.

At times, those clubs have dropped one or two divisions only to come back and, in recent times, win trophies and enjoy the most successful era of their history.

But along the way, they have suffered much more than Evertonians who since 1954 have never endured anything like that. Our starting point is much stronger than those clubs.

We went close and danced with destiny, but we've not been to the places those clubs and their supporters have been too.

Kieran Kinsella
6 Posted 23/05/2021 at 01:14:53
Danny,

I've got a soft spot for Brentford; an Uncle-like elderly family friend supported them. He left me his football memorabilia when he died, including his autograph book from the 1966 World Cup, and an array of old newspapers from cup finals etc. So I hope they make it, my great great great Grandad was also born there, lol.

Unrelated but delighted that St Johnstone won both Scottish cups. My mum is from Perth. Somehow, Stevie G still got Manager of the year award. Not saying he didn't do well but winning Rangers 50th title, versus winning the second and third trophies in St Johnstone's whole history doesn't quite impress me as much.

Lastly, hoping Lille hold on tomorrow and Atalanta do a number on the self-proclaimed “Super League” Juve to consign them to the Europa League next season.

Mike Gaynes
7 Posted 23/05/2021 at 03:44:06
I've got a soft spot for Brentford too, through an Irish mate who is a massive Bees supporter. He and I were sick at the same time and he turned me on to Brentford as I pulled him in to Everton.
Kieran Kinsella
8 Posted 23/05/2021 at 04:11:39
Mike,

As an American, you may appreciate this. I just booked a trip in two weeks to go to San Antonio. My hotel, I discovered, is directly opposite The Alamo. My immediate thought was Everton are going to feel like they're at The Alamo tomorrow.

Bill Griffiths
9 Posted 23/05/2021 at 06:24:35
Being Welsh, I should be rooting for The Swans but would like Brentford to do it as it would be good to see a new leader know club triumph. The other teams have all tasted top-flight footie in the not-too-distant past
Brian Murray
10 Posted 23/05/2021 at 07:04:12
Kieran post 8. It's felt like that against the mighty Toon, never mind Man City at times.

If Pep throws the bouquet, will one of us catch it tomorrow? I don't think we ever liked marzipan.

Danny O’Neill
11 Posted 23/05/2021 at 07:20:32
If there's any duplication, I apologise as I thought already posted, Kieran.

Enjoy San Antonio & the River Walks. Great city.