Brentford and Swansea City contest the Championship Playoff Final at Wembley this afternoon. The prize is promotion to the Premier League next season, which could be worth as much as £178M to the winners.

The game kicks off at 15:00 with television coverage on Sky Sports.

Reader Comments (41)

Danny O’Neill
1 Posted 29/05/2021 at 15:20:29
Said before. Torn here.

Brentford are to me know a local club and one I admire for what they've done the past few years.

Swansea my local club when I was stationed in South Wales for 4 years. And I have a fair few mates who are passionate supporters of the Swans.

Barry Hesketh
2 Posted 29/05/2021 at 15:27:24
Danny @1
I can't find a link to watch the game, however, 20 or so minutes gone and Brentford has a two-goal lead, nearly making it three when Toney hit the bar.
Steve Brown
3 Posted 29/05/2021 at 15:30:01
2-0 to Brentford. Looks like Steve Cooper might be free after all!
Danny O’Neill
4 Posted 29/05/2021 at 15:30:09
Brentford are good for it as well Barry.

Swansea been all over the place so far.

Forget Cooper. Keep an eye on the Brentford Manager. Danish and has brought in a lot of good young Danish talent; a country that punches well above it's weight in terms of producing good quality footballers.

5 Posted 29/05/2021 at 15:44:35
I can't sit still. One of my best mates has been a Brentford supporter for 60 years. He's attended some of their 9 playoff losses. He won't answer the phone at the moment, understandably, but if this result holds up we'll be on the line for an hour!

6 Posted 29/05/2021 at 15:48:09
Steve #3, I'm taking you to Tasker for bringing that up.
7 Posted 29/05/2021 at 16:01:53
By the way, Don Hutchison is absolutely terrific as the touchline commentator for ESPN+. Hilarious quips.
Rob Halligan
8 Posted 29/05/2021 at 16:10:22
Some bloke called Steve Cooper from Swansea isn't doing very well, is he! 😁😁😁
Jeff Armstrong
9 Posted 29/05/2021 at 16:27:12
Well Rob, he’s always got his looks to fall back on!😂
Rob Halligan
10 Posted 29/05/2021 at 16:28:45
Eeeeeekk!!
11 Posted 29/05/2021 at 16:32:10
Jeff, Cooper looks like a TV ad for a diarrhea treatment.
Kieran Kinsella
12 Posted 29/05/2021 at 16:32:55
Good news, last time Brentford played in he top flight Everton won the league. Bad news, a world war broke out after the season ended.
13 Posted 29/05/2021 at 16:34:12
Seems like a reasonable trade-off, Kieran. I'll take it.
Rob Halligan
14 Posted 29/05/2021 at 16:35:15
Long before I actually knew his name, I always thought Steve Cooper was Graham Potter's brother.
Kieran Kinsella
15 Posted 29/05/2021 at 16:35:40
Mike

President Jie of China seems up for it, just got to get Everton on board

Barry Hesketh
16 Posted 29/05/2021 at 16:38:35
Kieran @12
Brentford was still in the top flight after WW2 but got relegated in the first season back 1946/47. I think Everton ended up tenth.
17 Posted 29/05/2021 at 16:44:29
Rob, their names are forever and irreversibly linked. We will never again think of one without the other. Like Abbott and Costello.
Kieran Kinsella
18 Posted 29/05/2021 at 16:48:07
Barry

Well damn, their wikipedia page omitted their brief top flight come back after being relegated in 39. So here's the plan, they come up, we win the league, the go down, war, then when they bounce back we know the war is over.

Incidentally Barry Hesketh, I want to compliment you as you often pop up with interesting news stories and tid bits the rest of us seem to miss. FIFA, ESL, etc. You're kind of like my sub news provider within ToffeeWeb. Keep it up mate.

Barry Hesketh
19 Posted 29/05/2021 at 16:49:01
Russ Abbott and Elvis Costello that's some duo that I'd have paid to see live. I am being silly Mike G, I'm old enough to know who Abbott and Costello were, but they were never my cup of tea.
Jeff Armstrong
20 Posted 29/05/2021 at 16:49:59
Rob, I thought Cooper was Potter’s Grandad, he looks like Albert Steptoe “dropping the kids off”.
Barry Hesketh
21 Posted 29/05/2021 at 16:50:27
Cheers Kieran, good plan!
22 Posted 29/05/2021 at 16:52:31
Not mine either, Barry. But then again, neither are Cooper and Potter!
23 Posted 29/05/2021 at 16:55:27
Kieran #18, don't you know Barry's true identity?

Hesketh is an alias, a nom de plume.

He's really Barry Horne. Insider info personified.

Kieran Kinsella
24 Posted 29/05/2021 at 16:56:24
Barry/Mike

You obviously never saw the masterpiece that is Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein. Robbed of an Oscar by a Laurence Olivier film about some Danish dude with mummy issues whose Dad died.

25 Posted 29/05/2021 at 16:56:25
YEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!

I'm in tears here.

Welcome to the Prem, Bees. Happy to have you.

Kieran Kinsella
26 Posted 29/05/2021 at 16:59:38
Delighted for them too Mike, and my late great Uncle who was a Bees fanatic. Lovely new ground too, play nice football, just hope they don't perform when we play them.
Lee Courtliff
27 Posted 29/05/2021 at 17:00:47
Brentford are going to beat us in Aug/Sep and thoroughly deserve the victory.

I can just see it.

28 Posted 29/05/2021 at 17:01:53
Kieran, I've gotta figure out a way to bring my mate over to Goodison for the Blues-Bees game. He's in fragile health, but I'd really love to make it happen for him.
Rob Halligan
29 Posted 29/05/2021 at 17:03:31
Of course they are, Lee. Of course they are!!

I've already got odds on them being relegated next season. Sorry Mike!

30 Posted 29/05/2021 at 17:07:07
Pretty sure you're right, Rob. Even with the promotion they're financially skint, as you lot would say. But even if it's just the one season, it will be glorious.
Rob Halligan
31 Posted 29/05/2021 at 17:09:14
Agree, Mike. Also a new ground to visit, although I've been to Griffin Park, their old stadium.
32 Posted 29/05/2021 at 17:15:22
Did you make all four pubs, Rob?

My mate claims he did it in his youth, completing the circuit before kickoff. Unfortunately he couldn't then make it to his seat. Missed the game completely.

Rob Halligan
33 Posted 29/05/2021 at 17:17:28
Only the one, Mike. Don't ask me which one it was though.
Derek Moore
34 Posted 29/05/2021 at 17:21:09
All that heartbreak doesn't hurt quite so much right now, I'll bet. Brentford are now officially in the big time, and well bloody done as well.

It'd be 'Everton that' to draw them early doors and give them their first ever Premier League points wouldn't it?

Well, it would!

Having finished behind a promoted side each of the last three seasons, I'm not exactly putting six points in pencil next to our names for next season yet either. Really looking forward to playing them though and hoping the Bees supporters are properly enjoying themselves tonight, wherever they are.
I think I speak for all Evertonians when I say how happy I am for them, at least until we start dropping points against them anyway. Well done again Brentford!

Kieran Kinsella
35 Posted 29/05/2021 at 17:34:19
Derek

To paraphrase Arthur C Clarke on Brentford next year "All these points are yours, except Everton. Attempt no victory there."

Andrew Ellams
36 Posted 29/05/2021 at 17:49:25
Steve Cooper is actually the son of former Premier League referee Keith Cooper, one of the better ones.
Tom Bowers
37 Posted 29/05/2021 at 17:54:37
Amazing what a big investor can do.

This team will probably do better than Leeds in their first year with one or two additions. Top scorers in the Championship and they have a half-decent defence too.

Steve Brown
38 Posted 29/05/2021 at 18:39:23
Watching his team play, I thought his dad might Tommy Cooper.
Ray Robinson
39 Posted 29/05/2021 at 18:45:34
And here's me thinking he was related to Harry Redknapp.
Peter Mills
40 Posted 29/05/2021 at 19:06:15
Toney looks a handful. Can he do it in the top flight?
Jay Harris
41 Posted 29/05/2021 at 19:09:19
Interesting seeing all the accolades on here.

They play a similar system to Carlo!!

I don't think Ivan Toney is leaving there anytime soon the way he was pointing to the badge at the end.