Reader Comments (74)

Dale Self
1 Posted 12/06/2021 at 17:56:09
Thanks so much for this space to come to when something like this happens
Fran Mitchell
2 Posted 12/06/2021 at 17:57:39
Horrific. Just awful. Everything else is meaningless.

Come on Christian

Darren Hind
3 Posted 12/06/2021 at 18:01:44
I'm so shocked.

Please God the boy pulls through

Thomas Richards
4 Posted 12/06/2021 at 18:06:32
Sickener.
Brings it all into perspective.
End of the day we all love the game.
Pull through Christian
Daniel A Johnson
5 Posted 12/06/2021 at 18:07:52
Just awful, sickening scenes.

Come on Christian lad pull through.

Derek Moore
6 Posted 12/06/2021 at 18:10:57
I - just can't believe that just happened. I am in, I think shock. I'm watching the game on my own here in the middle of the night, and I am struggling to process the last few minutes to be honest.
Jonny Flynn
7 Posted 12/06/2021 at 18:12:39
Very sad and upsetting great player please god good outcome for his family and the football World
Andrew Ellams
8 Posted 12/06/2021 at 18:12:43
Just can't imagine actually being there and just dealing with that level of shock
Ed Fitzgerald
9 Posted 12/06/2021 at 18:15:47
I feel stunned and horrified after watching that. I'm not a religious person but I'm praying for a miracle for Christian Eriksen
Paul Swan
10 Posted 12/06/2021 at 18:17:12
Praying for him and his family here
Jonny Flynn
11 Posted 12/06/2021 at 18:21:33
He was alive leaving pitch picture circulating of him sitting up with oxygen mask on. Please god good outcome
Andrew Ellams
12 Posted 12/06/2021 at 18:24:29
Please folks no Internet rumours whether they claiming positive or negative news. Let's wait for an official update
Barry Rathbone
13 Posted 12/06/2021 at 18:25:08

Apparently alive and stable

Barry Hesketh
14 Posted 12/06/2021 at 18:31:30
UEFA EURO 2020
@EURO2020
3m
Following the medical emergency involving Denmark's player Christian Eriksen, a crisis meeting has taken place with both teams and match officials and further information will be communicated at 19:45 CET.

The player has been transferred to the hospital and has been stabilised.

Fran Mitchell
15 Posted 12/06/2021 at 18:31:53
Uefa report that his condition is stable.

Great news

Thomas Richards
16 Posted 12/06/2021 at 18:31:54
Barry, 👍

Thanks for that mate.
Great news.

Paul Swan
17 Posted 12/06/2021 at 18:32:00
UEFA statement on BBC saying he has been stabilised. Let's hope this is positive
Jay Evans
18 Posted 12/06/2021 at 18:32:19
Boys and girls I don't t use any social media at all so TW is my refresh button at the moment. If anyone has any news that is real keep me updated please 🙏🏻
Jon Bentley
19 Posted 12/06/2021 at 18:34:04
Official UEFA comment is:

The player has been transferred to the hospital and has been stabilised.

Fran Mitchell
20 Posted 12/06/2021 at 18:35:07
Jay. The latest is he is stabilized, in hospital. In 15 minutes they will announce what will.happen in regards to the game.

In regards to his condition, that's with the medics now. But it is far better than it seemed 20 minutes ago.

Daniel A Johnson
21 Posted 12/06/2021 at 18:35:12
Great news he's stabilised and on his way to hospital. Medics did a fantastic job,
David Pearl
22 Posted 12/06/2021 at 18:37:15
Whats happened? Did he collapse during play?
Paul Swan
23 Posted 12/06/2021 at 18:37:43
Reported to be awake and undergoing tests
Julian Exshaw
24 Posted 12/06/2021 at 18:39:09
Awful to see that. David, he just collapsed as he ran for a pass. God bless him. Medics seemed to have done a great job.
Andrew Ellams
25 Posted 12/06/2021 at 18:39:30
He did David. Fell to the ground with nobody near him
Derek Moore
26 Posted 12/06/2021 at 18:41:46
Just a stunning and frightening sequence of events. That was numbing, realy really difficult to watch. Seems he had the good lord in his corner today, I'm hoping that the doctors are able to get to the bottom and solve whatever happened there.

Unbelievably good news that he's apparently awake and with very good doctors and nurses. I'm so relieved for his children and nearest and dearest, that must have been impossible to endure.

David Pearl
27 Posted 12/06/2021 at 18:45:33
Shocking when that happens. His fellow players must be numb.
Jay Evans
28 Posted 12/06/2021 at 18:46:19
Fran @ 20, thanks for that.
Neil Copeland
29 Posted 12/06/2021 at 18:46:33
Hopefully he will be ok now and makes a full and speedy recovery. We are all pulling for you Christien
Barry Hesketh
30 Posted 12/06/2021 at 18:53:44
I'll second that sentiment, Neil, @ 29
Robert Tressell
31 Posted 12/06/2021 at 18:55:36
Thank goodness for that. His wife and family must be in bits.
Paul Birmingham
33 Posted 12/06/2021 at 19:20:24
🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼☘️ For Christian Eriksen, his Family and friends, and that he's gonna make a full recovery.

Puts football in perspective.

Barry Hesketh
34 Posted 12/06/2021 at 19:24:22
UEFA EURO 2020
@EURO2020
10m
Following the request made by players of both teams, UEFA has agreed to restart the match between Denmark and Finland tonight at 20:30 CET.

The last four minutes of the first half will be played, there will then be a 5-minute half-time break followed by the second half.

The Belgium v Russia game is also going ahead as planned

Mike Gaynes
35 Posted 12/06/2021 at 19:30:48
I happened to have my eyes on Eriksen after he made the run forward. He turned back, was walking, started to stumble and then his legs buckled and he fell forward.

It looked very much like a moment I've seen many times, the on-court heart attack that took the life of an American college basketball star named Hank Gathers 30 years ago.

I am so profoundly glad that this has had a different outcome. Wishing Eriksen and his family nothing but the best.

Dale Self
36 Posted 12/06/2021 at 19:35:30
Fantastic! What Christian would want I imagine. Heal well, game on!
Jay Wood
[BRZ]

37 Posted 12/06/2021 at 20:02:13
Oof! Just got in and catching up with this news.

I'm amazed that both groups of players have requested that the game restarts and continues and that UEFA have agreed to that.

This is a deeply scarring psychological event. There must be positive news from the hospital for them to make that call.

Still, with the outpouring of sympathy and wishes of goodwill from all quarters, it's good to see how all rally around at such moments. The fans in the stadium showing the game at it's finest with Finnish fans chanting 'Christian' and Danish fans answering with 'Eriksen'.

Quite a few current and past team mates of Christian lining up in the next game for Belgium also. Can't be easy for any of them.

Andrew Ellams
38 Posted 12/06/2021 at 20:06:32
When did Big Rom go baldy?
Mike Gaynes
39 Posted 12/06/2021 at 20:07:10
Eriksen himself is reported to have asked his teammates to continue with the match.

Watching Rom now playing against Russia... gotta wonder how he can possibly keep his mind on the game. They are close friends -- I remember reading that Rom went out of his way to help Eriksen bed in at Inter, including coaching him to learn Italian.

Mike Gaynes
40 Posted 12/06/2021 at 20:11:14
Andrew #38, I first saw it last summer, but it might have been earlier.
David Pearl
41 Posted 12/06/2021 at 20:13:04
How the hell does that goal stand?? I know the rules but still doesnt look right. Looks strong Rom, he might be even get in our starting 11
Jay Wood
[BRZ]

42 Posted 12/06/2021 at 20:13:53
And confirmation of how this impacts on all, Lukaku (Eriksen's team mate at Inter) scores in the Belgium-Russia game and runs to the camera saying 'Chris, Chris, I love you.'
Mike Gaynes
43 Posted 12/06/2021 at 20:14:38
Lovely gesture, Rom. Lovely.
Jay Wood
[BRZ]

44 Posted 12/06/2021 at 20:15:36
If you know the rules David then you should know exactly why the goal stands. Totally legitimate. A mare by the Russian defender.
Fran Mitchell
45 Posted 12/06/2021 at 20:15:55
Remember when there were Everton fans that were adamant that Lukaku was an over-rated, lazy, flat-track-bully and that couldn't wait to see the back of him.

Mad innit.

David Pearl
46 Posted 12/06/2021 at 20:16:20
Andrew, 38 l wonder if he's going bald? A long way from his dreads
Fran Mitchell
47 Posted 12/06/2021 at 20:17:21
I think that rule is a bit absurd however. Lukaku was clearly offside and wouldn't have got to the ball if had been in an onside position.
Thomas Richards
48 Posted 12/06/2021 at 20:17:54
Fran, 45.

A scuffer of goals he was called.

David Pearl
49 Posted 12/06/2021 at 20:19:00
Superb from Rom.
John Raftery
50 Posted 12/06/2021 at 20:30:28
Fran (45) Yes, and we were going to find it very easy to replace him. Very often it is our most talented players who receive the most criticism.
Tony Abrahams
51 Posted 12/06/2021 at 20:37:42
Only found out about this because I went on ToffeeWeb to find out how Wales had got on and was shocked to see the first few posts praying for Christian to pull through, and immediately thought of that post on ToffeeWeb at the beginning of last season stating why Liverpool couldn't win the league.

I might be miles off, but I'm just glad we are not talking about the death of Christian Erickson, because life is definitely the most precious thing🙏

Joe McMahon
52 Posted 12/06/2021 at 20:41:26
Fran, his last season with us Rom scored 25 PL goals. The most top flight goals in a season since Lineker. For perspective even Greame Sharp never managed that many league goals in a season.

You are correct Rom was given so much stick.

Dale Self
53 Posted 12/06/2021 at 20:43:24
Tony and anyone who did not see it live watch through to where the Danes circle Christian to keep his dignity from being stained by some tabloid temptations. Made me deeply proud for them and all of football.
Dave Abrahams
54 Posted 12/06/2021 at 20:46:39
Proud of this thread, the genuine feelings of football fans when something dreadful, like this, happens, thankfully with a happy ending. I imagine these feelings by Evertonians are felt by football fans all over the world and of course by people who have no interest in sport. Hoping Christian makes a full recovery.
Daniel A Johnson
55 Posted 12/06/2021 at 20:50:57
At times there's a lot to dislike about football and everything that surrounds it.

But the Danish players today I thought were incredible. Standing in unity with tears in their eyes whilst one of their own fought for his life receiving CPR.

Takes amazing courage to do what that Danish squad did today. I'm English but I'm bloody proud of them.

Watching it live was just awful. I'm just glad that Christian gets to see his wife and young child again. Nothing else matters in this tournament now except that.

Jay Wood
[BRZ]

56 Posted 12/06/2021 at 21:00:29
In other news, South America's international continental tournament the Copa America kicks off tomorrow.

Hastily arranged just last week to be played in CV-19 ravaged Brazil because neighbours Argentinia were deemed unfit to stage the competition due to being ravaged by CV-19 at a lesser degree than Brazil.

The hosts Brazil open the tournament v Venezuela on Sunday. Venezuela arrived on Friday. Two players didn't make the journey because they tested positive for CV-19. Tests in Brazil today have come back positive for 12 (TWELVE!!!) members of the Venezuela squad (players and coaches).

Cracking idea this by CONMEBOL, the continental governing body, to insist on the tournament going ahead. Three major sponsors - including MasterCard - have withdrawn their sponsorship of the CA as a result, not wishing their brand to be smeared by association.

Henrik Lyngsie
57 Posted 12/06/2021 at 21:04:46
This has been a truly heartbreaking evening to be a Dane and watch football. In a limbo for half and hour fearing the worst for Eriksen. On the Danish TV they quickly stopped showing scenes from inside the Stadium, which I thought was a good decision. But at the same time emphasized that it was really really bad with Eriksen.
Such a relief that he is awake and was able to speak. I do really hope he recovers well.
His teammates must be emotionally drained after agreeing to complete the match. Amazing sportsmanship also from our Nordic friends from Finland.
Believe it or not it is more relaxing to support Everton than Denmark.
David Pearl
58 Posted 12/06/2021 at 21:06:38
Good for Mastercard.
I guess football is considered more important than life itself hey Jay?
Jay Wood
[BRZ]

59 Posted 12/06/2021 at 21:12:17
Not quite right, David. Politics is more important than lives and football is just a useful vehicle on which to hitch a ride.

This has more to do with Bolsonaro looking to boost his plummeting popularity as a Parliamentary enquiry daily exposes the government's criminal failings during the pandemic.

To misquote Marx, in Brazil 'football is the opiate of the masses.'

David Pearl
60 Posted 12/06/2021 at 21:18:22
Jay, South America is totally alien to me, probably many people. Have you been there long?
Stephen Vincent
61 Posted 12/06/2021 at 21:40:43
Fran #45, I was one of them and stand by everything I thought about him then. I will never forgive him for the appalling performance in the semi final against Manure and for the fact that he never gave a shit about us.

Given the opportunity though I'd have him back heart beat right now. Beast of a man.

Thomas Richards
62 Posted 12/06/2021 at 22:06:42
Just reading the reaction of both sets of fans.
The Finnish fans chanted "Christian"
The Danish fans responded with "Eriksen"

The beautiful game personified.

Mike Gaynes
63 Posted 12/06/2021 at 22:48:09
It was a wonderful moment, Thomas. US TV just replayed it. Sent chills down my spine.

Dave #54, amen.

Brisk debate among former players on US TV after Belgium's win, over whether the Denmark/Finland game should have gone forward. Consensus was that UEFA should have suspended the game and resumed tomorrow morning.

My instinctive feeling is that UEFA did the right thing in letting the players make the call. A bunch of guys in suits who never played the game -- and who typically are imperious in ignoring the wishes of players and fans -- chose to defer to Europe's top professionals, who in turn chose to resume.

Thoughts here? Did the suits abandon their responsibility by not suspending the game? Or did they properly (and perhaps for the first time ever) cede the decision to the players?

Paul Birmingham
64 Posted 12/06/2021 at 23:04:43
Henrik, Evertonians are with you and Denmark, in this terrible day, but great spirit by the Danes and Finns, uniting at the match to the greater cause, in view of Christian Eriksen.

After the COVID19,, this was a tremendous example of human spirit and football, joining together to the greater cause.

Best wishes and a full recovery to Christian Eriksen and his Family.

James Flynn
65 Posted 12/06/2021 at 23:12:42
Mike (63) - I thought the right thing was done.
James Flynn
66 Posted 12/06/2021 at 23:43:53
Mike (35) - First thing came to my mind; Hank Gathers.
Kieran Kinsella
67 Posted 13/06/2021 at 00:50:21
Henrik

That was terrifying. Thank God his team mates and the medics reacted so quickly. The game was always going to be immaterial after that but your players showed a lot of courage and stoicism. I particularly felt for Schmeichel who was on hand at the deadly helicopter crash at Leicester. Best wishes to Christian and all of Denmark

Kieran Kinsella
68 Posted 13/06/2021 at 00:57:34
Mike

The Danish manager said the alternative was to play it at noon tomorrow. None of the players expect to sleep well after today so they decided just to get on with it.

Jamie Crowley
69 Posted 13/06/2021 at 06:19:34
I saw, sitting with my 12 year old son, a man die on the field of play today.

I don't give a fuck about this game.

I don't give a fuck about whether it was "proper" or not to play the game after the incident.

I don't give a flying fuck about soccer.

There's more important things.

I watched a man die, I watched a medical team revive him. I watched a man given CPR on the field.

I'm just glad he's alive.

It's a game.

That was the single most distressing thing I've ever seen watching sport, and I'm just glad Christian Ericksen is alive.

That affected me. In the extreme. I held my Dad's hand while he died. This brought back awful memories intentionally pushed to the back of my brain. I never wish to see anything like that again, and I'm so, so happy that young man is alive.

Henrik Lyngsie
70 Posted 13/06/2021 at 06:42:10
Mike as Kieran says they were given the choice between continuing immediately or next day at noon. Given that they would not get any sleep they were not really given any choice but to continue play last night.
Simon Kjær had been in contact with Eriksen before the decision was taken. The players had not wanted to continue without knowledge that Eriksen was safe.

They must have been completely mentally drained. The manager also stated that Simon Kjær was unable to complete the game and was substituted. Kjær lives in Milan like Eriksen and they are apparently very close.

As a side note I feel a bit sorry for the Finnish team. I think they participate for the first time in a Euro Final and they win their first match. I would believe it was a huge and historical result for Finland and they could hardly celebrate it. But big credit for them for their sportsmanship throughout the night and in particular when they applauded the danish players while reentering the field.

Jamie Crowley
71 Posted 13/06/2021 at 06:58:26
Henrik -

Whether that was Finland's first Euro win or their hundredth?

Doesn't matter. Inconsequential. Means shit.

And yes, credit the Finnish fans, and frankly credit humanity, who stopped in their tracks and recognized what's truly important.

Tony Abrahams
72 Posted 13/06/2021 at 07:20:10
Maybe not the time to talk about the other side of football, a sport I've always described as the perfect job, and that's not even thinking about the wages involved, but more because you're actually paid, just to be fit.

We despair at some of the managers of the top teams, who want to introduce more subs and to play less games, and although we don't agree with it, maybe it's because it's still a sport to us, but it's nothing but a big business to them, and getting paid to be fit, is actually quite dangerous, the way these, what can now only be described as super-athletes (10/11 months a year at full throttle?) are continuously pushed to the limits?

Derek Moore
73 Posted 13/06/2021 at 10:01:54
Incredible scenes last night. I found most people's reaction to be extremely heartening and compassionate. That's something else to be grateful for, in addition to the incredible medical work performed upon Eriksen.

The old fella and I had a chat by text about it today. He drew much the same conclusions as I did, although he did make an interesting point. My old man reminded me that at the Munich Olympic Games when the Israeli athletes were kidnapped by a group of terrorist maniacs, disgracefully and shamefully the games carried on whilst they were held captive. And at the Atlanta Olympics, not even a fatal bombing would cause a temporary suspension of proceedings.

It is very heartening that so few people felt the game should have been played at all in lieu of events. I had certainly lost all appetite for watching it. It's a world away from "the show must go on" attitudes of not so long ago.

And although last night's events were frightening and distressing to watch, I feel I must take umbrage at the likes of Gary Lineker and Craig Burley. "The most distressing thing I've ever seen on a football pitch" "Horrific"
Heysel? Valley Parade? Hillsborough?

I wish Jamie Crowley I too could say last night was the single most distressing thing I've seen watching sport. But sadly it's not even the single most distressing thing I've seen watching football. We have come a long way.

Danny O’Neill
74 Posted 13/06/2021 at 12:18:20
Didn't watch it live, so caught up this morning.

Incredibly sad to see and what a reaction from the players and which ever player it was that effectively saved his life by his prompt actions before the medics could get to him to recover him.

And to see his poor distressed wife on the pitch. Not nice and moments like this always puts life as well as football into perspective.

Best wishes and speedy recovery Christian.

Shane Corcoran
75 Posted 13/06/2021 at 12:20:29
I noticed that there seemed to be very little segregation in the games yesterday. How on earth can those adults sit next to other adults cheering on their team. Be interesting to see the game at 2 today in that regard.